Read this shit: Why lie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VanillaCocaCola
Why is it people lie? I know the answer, it's fear. And it's a selfish fear, never has anything to do with the person being lied too.

Lie is a broad term, I suppose. There are Malicious lies and there are White lies, opposite sides of the same coin, right? Sadly, they're also just a coin, regardless of which side, they're the the lie.

The reasons for Malicious Lieing are obvious to me, the root of which generally is not fear but rather pure greed. A desire to gain for oneself, whether in physical or metaphysical senses.

But the reasons for white lieing are so difficult for me to understand. Why do people do it? Why do people lie with good intentions... lieing with good intentions never works.

I've heard some people say that it is because they don't want to hurt the feelings of the person being lied too, but this always results in more pain than what would've been caused with simple honesty.

Simple Example:

One girl asks another girl if she looks good in this 'outfit'. Obviously, to the person who had the question prosed to, it isn't, yet she lies and says it is anyway. The girl with the ugly outfit goes out and gets cold-shoudlered or outright ridiculed for wearing the ugly outfit, and is afflicted with an uncertainty of whether her friend lied to her not.

Whereas, if the girl has been honest and said it was a bad outfit, she could've spared her far more pain (A few moments worth) than what she would've caused. She could've even helped her pick out a better outfit, yet she out of fear for the other persons reaction (And by extension a loss of important to her), selfishly lied to avoid hurting her feelings, and toa void getting her own feelings hurt.

This applies to every example I can think of and everything that has ever happened to me that is vaguely similar.

An example, would be in 8th grade when a girl I was friends with blocked me from MSN. SHe lied about it when I asked, yet I caught her in the lie about two weeks later. It hurt far worse (And cost her my friendship) to discover the lie on their own than it would've been had she just admitted it.

A hypothetical example would include an oft-experienced by guys, "Wishy-Washy Woman". The woman says 'yes' to being asked out to be a girlfriend, but becuase she didn't think it through, or just didn't want to hurt her feelings, and deal with the guilt trip, she says yes, and instead reneges later causing far more pain than would've originally happened, and sometimes friendships that pre-existed, whereas a blunt 'No' in the first place is far more likely to be less painful and not destroy a friendship.

Anyways, to concldue my mini-rant, lieing about things only hurts the people you're lieing too, and is extremely selfish, and plain stupid. It can do far more damage when (Not if, they're always uncovered) discovered to a relationship (Relationship is a broad term) then the truth could've, and can utterly ruin some things. It is far more caring and effective and less painful to just tell the truth.

§P0oONY
Penguin boy... I believe your time is now.

VanillaCocaCola

§P0oONY
Meh, I'll read it... but I won't be happy about it

Shelbert Lemon
I read it and its all a lie! stick out tongue

No really... I dont know. Its stupid to lie to someone. But it happens. People are stupid.

redcaped
White lies are for weak people that can't survive with the truth and you know it. I've never told any lie, first because I love privacy and secondly because I don't care much about others...unless they do something for me.

VanillaCocaCola
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
I read it and its all a lie! stick out tongue

No really... I dont know. Its stupid to lie to someone. But it happens. People are stupid.

yes

VanillaCocaCola
Originally posted by redcaped
White lies are for weak people that can't survive with the truth and you know it. I've never told any lie, first because I love privacy and secondly because I don't care much about others...unless they do something for me. I like the first part, the rest of that meant nothing.

TheKingofKINGS!
There are some situations where it is necessary to lie. Example, James wants to kill Bob. Bob has an identical twin Dan. Bob is a good guy, and Dan is a rat bastard. James puts a gun to Bob's head and asks you "Is this Bob or Dan?" You say Bob, he'll shoot, if you say dan, He'll search for Dan, and kill him.

I'd lie right there. no expression

VanillaCocaCola
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
There are some situations where it is necessary to lie. Example, James wants to kill Bob. Bob has an identical twin Dan. Bob is a good guy, and Dan is a rat bastard. James puts a gun to Bob's head and asks you "Is this Bob or Dan?" You say Bob, he'll shoot, if you say dan, He'll search for Dan, and kill him.

I'd lie right there. no expression Isn't necessary, and it is still a selfish reason to lie.

§P0oONY
Lying with good intentions does work sometimes, I personally believe that a white lie is fine, your example with the clothing wasn't a white lie, it was just a lie to stop the lier getting in the shit, a white lie is where no one is affected in a negative way.

VanillaCocaCola
White Lie:

White lie, a euphemism for such lies as one finds it
convenient to tell, and excuses himself for telling.

http://dict.die.net/white%20lie/

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by VanillaCocaCola
Isn't necessary, and it is still a selfish reason to lie. It's selfish to keep a good guy around and rid the world of an *******?

huh.

redcaped
I'll take that personal. There is no reason to have doubts to what I said.

VanillaCocaCola
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
It's selfish to keep a good guy around and rid the world of an *******?

huh. Err, yes. He's a goodguy to you, not necessarily anyone else, and it's your desire to keep the good guy around. Selfish, because you'd have a good guy around.

§P0oONY
I'm aware what the literal meaning of "white lie" is but making someone feel bad by lying to cover one's own back is probably not considered a white lie by most... Well certainly not by me.

VanillaCocaCola

§P0oONY
Well, If a female friend asked me how they looked in an outfit, I can't say I'd hesitate in telling them they looked nice, unless of course the outfit is atrocious. Most people wouldn't be as tactless to comment on someone's outfit to their face anyway; not negativly at least, so as long as the person wearing it feels content... It's all good.

H. S. 6
White lie - Example:

"Honey, do these jeans make my ass look fat?"

"Nope."

Itzak
Totally, my ******.

VanillaCocaCola
Originally posted by Itzak
Totally, my ******.

Bloigen
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10899/col.jpg

Bardock42
I lie for comedy purposes...it amuses me.

Kongu_Dude
Originally posted by Bardock42

no expression

§P0oONY

That's always good shit. yes

Seeing gullible people fail always makes me chuckle.

Bardock42

Kongu_Dude
For example...you are smart, funny and valuable....good Lord, I crack me up.

Yeah, me too....

no expression <----------You like that smiley?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kongu_Dude
no expression <----------You like that smiley?
I don't particularly mind it, it is quite overused on this forum though.

§P0oONY
I don't particularly mind it, it is quite overused on this forum though.

Totally no expression

VanillaCocaCola

Kongu_Dude
no expression

VanillaCocaCola
Muff Potter?

Kongu_Dude
Originally posted by VanillaCocaCola
Muff Potter?

no expression

VanillaCocaCola
no expression

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Bloigen
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10899/col.jpg

Nazgulinthedark

"My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world." George Bernard Shaw

By the way, Matt, you just made me feel like a very cold-hearted, selfish, and mean-spirited person. Good job. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.