Why do some people find it SO hard to picture Jack sticking with a girl?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
Ok I can understand why people would think this if Jack's character actually SHOWED us that he could never successfully be with a girl but he CAN and we can SEE it..what movies were YOU watching guys? laughing out loud

Seriously can you NOT see the hints in his nature that suggest he CAN be with a girl and STICK with a girl??...Mainly Liz I'm referring to here

Firstly Jack is like a rock star of the 18th century..he makes myths and legends up about himself when in reality no one can be that amazing all the time..they can never be invincible..he just likes to imagine that he is, So he becomes very VERY obsessive with material possessions because they help add to this whole aura...THEY HELP keep up the image. So sleeping around helps make him live up to a "ladies man" reputation.

You take away ONE of these things like the rum..he becomes a nervous wreck..just like a rock star would without his supports in life (drugs, alcohol) Just look at the beach scene..When Liz burns his rum..the master of words is reduced to "no, not good! STOP! Not good!" he is waving his arms around like a scared desperate child...He feels like he needs them because if you take them away..all you get is the scared little child...

You take one of his many possessions that resemble a Pirate then he feels completely lost and incomplete until he gets it back..for example the Black Pearl in movie 1...

This tells us that even though Jack SAYS he is this legend..and SEEMS happy...deep down he is actually INCOMPLETE as a person, ..he needs more in life to feel whole...more than a hat..a ship..his rum.. random meaningless women...he NEEDS a more permanent source of confidence...he needs a PERSON in his life who he can rely upon..who he can trust.

Movie 2 was probably the BIGGEST hint that he needs this...He loses his hat..he loses his most "BELOVED" item, he is in a state of disarray and then along comes Liz WEARING that bloody lost hat and Jack suddenly becomes CALM he feels complete. The HAT is not the answer to his problem...ITS LIZ who is the answer. Her hat is just meant to show you that it IS actually HER he needs..he completely FORGETS about his material possession that makes him feel so confident..the source of his confidence has just WALKED right up to him in the form of Liz. When he almost gets her in that curiosity scene..but pulls away, she runs off and he looks terrified again and says: "I want my jar of dirt!" his confidence was lost again in that scene so he reaches for a material possession..

So Jack..is not ACTUALLY this incredible legend he makes him self out to be, sure he has been through a lot but he LIES about what he has been through to make himself sound greater than he actually is.. the real life jack isn't all that great...there is PROOF that he does this..When he is stranded on the beach in movie 1, this is Jack Sparrow completely laid bare..his weakest moment. Elizabeth realises that he is NOT all he is cracked up to be..and Jack is incredibly aware of this...but notice how he actually calms DOWN once he tells her the truth....even AFTER this whole event..LIZ still has a tremendous faith in his bravery..and I think that means A LOT to Jack. She has faith in him even though she has seen that he is actually PRETTY cowardly..This whole faith issue is there in movie 2 as well...and Jack clearly shows us how much this effects him..She still has faith in him even though she has seen him at his weakest..

Jack Sparrow is actually not your average pirate. He CARES about other people..he often puts them before himself..its in HIS NATURE to care about people and for people to deny that they must be pretty blind...so if he has this nature IN him then why the heck is it not possible for him to actually CARE for a girl on a long term basis?

He likes to PRETEND that he doesn't care..because if he admits to it then that would alter his PIRATE/Rock star status...and thats whats so hilarious about his character...he is so desperate to pretend he is carefree, brave and a legend but you can clearly see that he can never quite grasp it..What strikes me is that this whole image thing SEEMS to be becoming LESS important to him in movie 2..... because Liz makes him REALISE that he is the REAL DEAL.

HE shows a TREMENDOUS bravery when it comes to Liz....he actually LIVES the legend instead of pretending to live the legend...LIZ makes him a STRONGER person..SHE has faith in him..she knew he was brave even when he questions it himself...and THAT means the world to him..he has a WHOLE new confidence in himself when it comes to Elizabeth..he blows up the Kraken for her..he jumps into the mouth of Hell because SHE is what made him realise he CAN be a brave man..SHE is the permanent answer to his lack of confidence..The hat and the ship don't really cut it...you can SEE in movie 2 that the material possessions don't help him..he needs a more permanent answer..

Jack hides behind this PIRATE image because it means that he is ALLOWED to be a coward..because DEEP down he thinks he actually is..he makes up lies about how he escaped from dangerous situation because the reality is not so brave....BUT LIZ actually gives him strength..he comes back for her because SHE has faith in him to be brave even when she saw he was actually quite weak...it means EVERYTHING to his character..

LovelyOne
During movie 2, Jack is coming to realise that inanimate objects CANT really support and help you when you NEED them the most..you CANT put all your faith into a material possession and expect to be SAFE all your life!! The Jar of dirt being the MAJOR wake up call for jack, He put all his faith into it and it was his downfall..You NEED a real person to get close to you to feel completely safe and secure..and with Jack that person is Elizabeth..its more than clear.

katelovespirate
thats really beautiful
you have some great insight about the whole rock star persona and all that.

i still dont know about Jack... Sometimes I feel like maybe he just consistently sets his sights on things he cant have... and then takes great delight in getting them anyway.

I love it how Lizzie is always the one who reduces him to a state of vulnerability... hehehe. smile

mondenschein
I have one question. maybe this is not the right place for it, but it fits to the legends about Jack:

in COTBP's deleted scenes there's the one where Liz and Jack are on the island and Liz asks if Jack is the pirate she has heard of, escaped from I-dunno without fireing a single shot and so on.
Jack shows her his scars and says: "No truth at all."

so, did he MEAN what he said? are all this things made up by him?
then why are the scars there?

I really don't understand this scene smile
maybe that's a reason why it's deleted wink

LovelyOne
LOl thanks smile

I actually said that whole rock star status thing because the director and Johnny said that Jack basically is a rock star of the 18th century during the commentary. He isn't all he's cracked up to be and he lies about how he gets out of things to make himself sound braver..they say his character runs between the raindrops..so its pretty much just luck when Jack gets out of tight spots...It' never really bravery. But when it comes to Liz..he actually DOES do a brave act..He actually lives the legend instead of pretending to. Its all because of Elizabeth having faith in him after seeing him for what he really is someone who LIES to create an image..IMO

katelovespirate
this is all purely opinion:

I think Jack has been through some incredible adventures, but he is also given to TWISTING THE STORY to make himself look better... not neecessarily more heroic, but more interesting, more dangerous, that sort of thing.

For example, the story about Jack sacking Naso Port without even firing a shot, pobably came down to clever manuevering of a hostage situation. Jack plays into his enemies weaknesses and fears.... its mostly a mind game to him.

IMO, the fact that Jack has bullet wounds across his CHEST makes it seem relatively likely to me he has been dead before, and brought back, or something.

the scar on his other arm is HOTT>.

yeah i think there is actually a good deal of truth behind Jack's stories, but probably its much different (and perhaps, in our minds, more exciting) than the outrageous stories he actually tells. does that make sense?

LovelyOne
Originally posted by mondenschein
I have one question. maybe this is not the right place for it, but it fits to the legends about Jack:

in COTBP's deleted scenes there's the one where Liz and Jack are on the island and Liz asks if Jack is the pirate she has heard of, escaped from I-dunno without fireing a single shot and so on.
Jack shows her his scars and says: "No truth at all."

so, did he MEAN what he said? are all this things made up by him?
then why are the scars there?

I really don't understand this scene smile
maybe that's a reason why it's deleted wink

That scene was cut. Obviously its not the image the directors wanted to portray for Jack...If its cut from the movie then that means its not ACTUALLY in the story..so in th next movie he may not have those scars on his chest or whatever..

katelovespirate
I LOVE It when Jack reveals himself to be all dangerous and brave. thats the thing about him. he's always waltzing around acting dingy and funny and drunk or whatever, and then suddenly, for a few seconds, you see this incredibly sharp, smart, dangerous man.

Like, when he shoots Barbossa. Hee he and Barbossa have been having kind of a sweet little swordfight, exchanging witty banter, being really rather friendly, and then suddenly, Jack shoots him dead.

Same with the kraken in the last one... Jack is bouncing up and down trying to get his hand free, he gets covered in slime, picks up his hat, and then suddenly, he morphs into this incredibly heroic man, ready and willing to face the peril, ready to go down with his ship, and go down fighting. thats hott.

mondenschein
so he DID escape from that city-whatsoever and the stuff with the EITC is also true but just because he had so much luck and used his skills?

I think I have it now smile

and I'd REALLY like to see Jack's whole story in the cinema one time ^^
far far away in the future ...

next month? cool

katelovespirate
ah, people could argue either way. IMO, Jack has had tons of adventures since he was young, and a combination of his luck, cheek, and cleverness always win him out.

thats something thats cool about 2: we always hear jack say things like "and then they made me their chief" and you think he is just making it up, but then suddenly you see him as chief!!!

LovelyOne
Katelovespirate..there was this whole issue raised in movie 2 where Jack is battling over being a coward as usual or actually going back and being a hero..and actually living up to the false status that he has created for himself.

I feel that what you say is true..he has been in many tight spots in his past..been hurt many times..he is very clever at tricking people...but TRICKING people is not heroism..its not brave...its a coward's way out of things....In this movie he chose the heroic path instead of the cowards way out..no doubt he would have lied about that whole situation once getting out of it "I fought blah blah blah and was thrown 50 feet away from the pearl"...Liz is making him realise that its NOT a satisfying life to keep doing that..all you will have is an EMPTY shell covering up absolutely NOTHING real on the inside..so what does he go and do? He goes back for her and saves the day..Liz is changing him in ways he never thought possible..

katelovespirate
big grin thats hott. I love it when Jack saves the day. I love it when Jack calls the pearl only a ship, AKA, im doing this for Liz.

I dont actually mind that Jack isnt always being obviously heroic. he's a pirate. he's tricksy. thats nice. smile

LovelyOne
You can already see that he has an empty shell..all his possessions are covering up the fact that he is NOT a hero..the possessions just DON'T make him what he really wants to be...LIZ actually DOES smile

you are right..I think he will still be very much the trickster when it comes to people who he doesn't care about all that much..but when it comes to Liz...he will be her hero wink

katelovespirate
awe.... thats so precious.

his objects have definately made him an icon. everyone is selling captain jack attire in stores. big grin

LovelyOne
LOl thats true^^

It just shows you that if you took all that away..he becomes pretty much nothing to anybody, even the audience...and thats exactly how his character feels when these things are missing from him..but LIZZIE actually still embraces him even after she has seen him for what he really is and after he has been completley stripped of all his possesions...don't you think that means the WORLD to him? Someone actually loves him for HIM and NOT his image.

If he loses his reputation one day..he knows that Liz will probably still be there for him..she loves the man..not the legend.

He can be weak around her and still feel safe knowing that she has a great faith in him and his bravery

She becomes what he really needs most, someone who will be there and STILL love him even when he is WEAK, someone who he can be HIMSELF around instead of pretending to be strong and brave all the time..he can show his weakness to her and he feels comfortable when he does....She does this for him..so HE becomes what SHE needs most...a HERO....Something that she's not getting from Will.

katelovespirate
IMO, i dont think Jack is overly concerned with what anyone really thinks of him, provided they recognize him as a legend of sorts, provided their remember to add Captain to his name, that sort of thing. He has no desire or intention to fit into society, he rather likes standing away from it, making fun of it from a distance.
Jack reminds me of Peter Pan, in a way. He loves Wendy, but is confused by the way he feels about her. Wendy is ready to grow up, pursue a real relationship...
My conclusion is that if they were to end up together, it would have to be Elizabeth changing a lot for Jack. Because if they ended up together but Jack had to change a ton, we would NOT be happy. I guess Liz would have to be the one to give up any ideals she would have about happily ever after, and really turn pirate, in order for it to make sense that she and Jack wound up together.

ivebeendepped43
I totally agree /w you guys!

diddly-dum
Originally posted by katelovespirate
IMO, i dont think Jack is overly concerned with what anyone really thinks of him, provided they recognize him as a legend of sorts, provided their remember to add Captain to his name, that sort of thing. He has no desire or intention to fit into society, he rather likes standing away from it, making fun of it from a distance.
Jack reminds me of Peter Pan, in a way. He loves Wendy, but is confused by the way he feels about her. Wendy is ready to grow up, pursue a real relationship...
My conclusion is that if they were to end up together, it would have to be Elizabeth changing a lot for Jack. Because if they ended up together but Jack had to change a ton, we would NOT be happy. I guess Liz would have to be the one to give up any ideals she would have about happily ever after, and really turn pirate, in order for it to make sense that she and Jack wound up together.

Interecting way you put that!

ivebeendepped43
I know! Never thought of him that way. Peter Pan? Thats a good similarity.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by katelovespirate
IMO, i don't think Jack is overly concerned with what anyone really thinks of him, provided they recognize him as a legend of sorts, provided their remember to add Captain to his name, that sort of thing. He has no desire or intention to fit into society, he rather likes standing away from it, making fun of it from a distance.

I think that he is very concerned about keeping up his pirate image and infamous reputation for people..he is very self absorbed like your typical rock star in movie 1. I mean come on "you are with out doubt the WORST pirate I have ever heard of"....Jack- "ah!..but you HAVE heard of me" In movie one..its clear that jack is a man who loves to build up a hype and is afraid of people seeing the real him..which is just like a typical modern day rock star..they all want to look like gods..they build up a whole massive hype and when you see who the real person is behind the mask people are OFTEN let down by what they see..both the director AND johnny have spoken about how similar jack is to a modern day rock star in these respects...

In movie 2..he has actually CHANGED a LOT from what we saw in movie 1..and people are STILL loving him..he has changed and become more loving towards Liz and is STILL be crazy ass Jack Sparrow.

I actually find if fascinating that his character is showing more depth and is changing as the movies progress...I think that people would be very unhappy had he not changed since movie 1..he did..and people ARE happy..It would be boring if he was still exactly the same kind of character as in movie 1..a story is crap if characters don't develop from what they started out like.....In movie one..it was ALL about him and his reputation..movie 2 was about him beginning to realise that the image isn't what is most important..people like Liz are more important to him..in movie 3..he's probably going to realise that he needs true love to be happy IMO He's going to have to let someone close to him to truly be satisfied in life...material possessions just aint enough...how the heck can someone just love a material possesion thir entire life..its GOT to start to cave in sooner or later..you are going to want someone to love..and Liz actually shows him that he does actually want that in life..

reine_mk
i don't think Jack is THAT volnerable. He is almost the icon of - survival in all circumstances kinda thing.

Jack of Blades
Originally posted by LovelyOne
Ok I can understand why people would think this if Jack's character actually SHOWED us that he could never successfully be with a girl but he CAN and we can SEE it..what movies were YOU watching guys? laughing out loud

Seriously can you NOT see the hints in his nature that suggest he CAN be with a girl and STICK with a girl??...Mainly Liz I'm referring to here

Firstly Jack is like a rock star of the 18th century..he makes myths and legends up about himself when in reality no one can be that amazing all the time..they can never be invincible..he just likes to imagine that he is, So he becomes very VERY obsessive with material possessions because they help add to this whole aura...THEY HELP keep up the image. So sleeping around helps make him live up to a "ladies man" reputation.

You take away ONE of these things like the rum..he becomes a nervous wreck..just like a rock star would without his supports in life (drugs, alcohol) Just look at the beach scene..When Liz burns his rum..the master of words is reduced to "no, not good! STOP! Not good!" he is waving his arms around like a scared desperate child...He feels like he needs them because if you take them away..all you get is the scared little child...

You take one of his many possessions that resemble a Pirate then he feels completely lost and incomplete until he gets it back..for example the Black Pearl in movie 1...

This tells us that even though Jack SAYS he is this legend..and SEEMS happy...deep down he is actually INCOMPLETE as a person, ..he needs more in life to feel whole...more than a hat..a ship..his rum.. random meaningless women...he NEEDS a more permanent source of confidence...he needs a PERSON in his life who he can rely upon..who he can trust.

Movie 2 was probably the BIGGEST hint that he needs this...He loses his hat..he loses his most "BELOVED" item, he is in a state of disarray and then along comes Liz WEARING that bloody lost hat and Jack suddenly becomes CALM he feels complete. The HAT is not the answer to his problem...ITS LIZ who is the answer. Her hat is just meant to show you that it IS actually HER he needs..he completely FORGETS about his material possession that makes him feel so confident..the source of his confidence has just WALKED right up to him in the form of Liz. When he almost gets her in that curiosity scene..but pulls away, she runs off and he looks terrified again and says: "I want my jar of dirt!" his confidence was lost again in that scene so he reaches for a material possession..

So Jack..is not ACTUALLY this incredible legend he makes him self out to be, sure he has been through a lot but he LIES about what he has been through to make himself sound greater than he actually is.. the real life jack isn't all that great...there is PROOF that he does this..When he is stranded on the beach in movie 1, this is Jack Sparrow completely laid bare..his weakest moment. Elizabeth realises that he is NOT all he is cracked up to be..and Jack is incredibly aware of this...but notice how he actually calms DOWN once he tells her the truth....even AFTER this whole event..LIZ still has a tremendous faith in his bravery..and I think that means A LOT to Jack. She has faith in him even though she has seen that he is actually PRETTY cowardly..This whole faith issue is there in movie 2 as well...and Jack clearly shows us how much this effects him..She still has faith in him even though she has seen him at his weakest..

Jack Sparrow is actually not your average pirate. He CARES about other people..he often puts them before himself..its in HIS NATURE to care about people and for people to deny that they must be pretty blind...so if he has this nature IN him then why the heck is it not possible for him to actually CARE for a girl on a long term basis?

He likes to PRETEND that he doesn't care..because if he admits to it then that would alter his PIRATE/Rock star status...and thats whats so hilarious about his character...he is so desperate to pretend he is carefree, brave and a legend but you can clearly see that he can never quite grasp it..What strikes me is that this whole image thing SEEMS to be becoming LESS important to him in movie 2..... because Liz makes him REALISE that he is the REAL DEAL.

HE shows a TREMENDOUS bravery when it comes to Liz....he actually LIVES the legend instead of pretending to live the legend...LIZ makes him a STRONGER person..SHE has faith in him..she knew he was brave even when he questions it himself...and THAT means the world to him..he has a WHOLE new confidence in himself when it comes to Elizabeth..he blows up the Kraken for her..he jumps into the mouth of Hell because SHE is what made him realise he CAN be a brave man..SHE is the permanent answer to his lack of confidence..The hat and the ship don't really cut it...you can SEE in movie 2 that the material possessions don't help him..he needs a more permanent answer..

Jack hides behind this PIRATE image because it means that he is ALLOWED to be a coward..because DEEP down he thinks he actually is..he makes up lies about how he escaped from dangerous situation because the reality is not so brave....BUT LIZ actually gives him strength..he comes back for her because SHE has faith in him to be brave even when she saw he was actually quite weak...it means EVERYTHING to his character..
There is more Wisdom in what you say than you know my friend

katelovespirate
yeah Jack is quite the model of survival... though its usually luck and friends intevening at the right time... hehehe. smile oh Jack...

LovelyOne
Originally posted by reine_mk
i don't think Jack is THAT volnerable. He is almost the icon of - survival in all circumstances kinda thing.

thats because HE LIES to make it that way...he makes himself the icon..Liz found out in that beach scene that when you scrape away Jack's many layers both factually and metaphorically..all thats underneath is a man who lies about his brave escapes...he lied about how he got off that Island..flat out lied about it..he just hitched a ride with some rum runners.. laughing out loud and what is important is the fact that she STILL believes he is a brave man at heart even when she see's him at is weakest moment...you just know thats got to mean a lot to the guy..

I think he probably HAS had some brave/lucky escapes but he just bigs them up to create a bigger image for himself..when in reality he is just a average pirate..he's not even the best pirate because of his caring nature..so many people have said that to him in the movies......

and thanks Jack of blades smile

reine_mk
hey that is my opinion !! I don't think he is THAT volnerable, but he is maybe a little volnerable, he is a human after all.

katelovespirate
he is vulnerable with liz. thats hott.

Jack of Blades
Originally posted by LovelyOne
thats because HE LIES to make it that way...he makes himself the icon..Liz found out in that beach scene that when you scrape away Jack's many layers both factually and metaphorically..all thats underneath is a man who lies about his brave escapes...he lied about how he got off that Island..flat out lied about it..he just hitched a ride with some rum runners.. laughing out loud and what is important is the fact that she STILL believes he is a brave man at heart even when she see's him at is weakest moment...you just know thats got to mean a lot to the guy..

I think he probably HAS had some brave/lucky escapes but he just bigs them up to create a bigger image for himself..when in reality he is just a average pirate..he's not even the best pirate because of his caring nature..so many people have said that to him in the movies......

and thanks Jack of blades smile
No thanks is nececery.There is great wisdom witin you

LovelyOne
Originally posted by reine_mk
hey that is my opinion !! I don't think he is THAT volnerable, but he is maybe a little volnerable, he is a human after all.

you are entitled to it lol..I'm just fighting back with mine laughing out loud

I think he doesn't want people to see him as just an average joe...so he builds up this huge huge larger than life image..and when it all comes crumbling away and someone sees it..he doesn't know what to do or how to behave..he loses his cool...because his ego isn't really as big as he is making it out to be in the first place..he's a guy with too much pride in fake tales..I think Liz is actually making him drop that false pride ..she's actually giving him chance to behave in a way that he can TRULY be proud of..and he does..he does an incredibly brave thing for her in movie 2..he lives up to the hype that lots of characters keep questioning throughout both movies..

By the way i'm not yelling when i use the caps lock laughing out loud its just my way of putting emphasis on important parts of my post smile

katelovespirate
JACK IS HOTT AND THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT>>>> (and actually, i am yelling, but in a happy sort of way) big grin

CaptinJackLover
LOL

LovelyOne
LOL^^^

Jack my be "happy" But no one. Not even Jack Sparrow can be TRULY happy all his life with just a ship, prostitutes, a hat and rum. True happiness doesn't come at the bottom of a bottle, on the deck of a ship, from a captains hat and by paying for sex...these things only give a person temporary happiness...these things cant love you back can they? You guys must realise that a person who spends most of their lives like this are eventually going to gain a HUGE emptiness inside..

money CANT buy you happiness...it can buy you FUN but it can never make you TRULY and eternally happy..and I think Jack is beginning to feel it's effects..even when he has EVERYTHING back the way he wants it...his compass wont settle..his heart is NOT happy....he like any other human being on the planet wants to be loved and he wants to give love...he deserves to be loved...you can see in his character that he has a habit of caring for people...it's only natural that he want to be cared for himself by someone...and maybe even love them back..

willofthewisp
No, possessions can't make someone truly happy, so I agree with that, but I think it is possible that some of the people in this world who didn't marry/fall in love are happy. So someone fulfilling a challenging career, exploring the world, experiencing a freedom previously not found, and making friends can lead to happiness. Whether Jack likes him or not, Will has been a friend to him, and Liz is certainly a friend, and I think even Gibbs and Anamaria could be friends. People find happiness from things other than just having a lover, and I agree with whoever said it earlier that you have to be a complete person anyway before you can be completed by someone else.
So I think after the first movie, Jack was happy, just a little confused. He doesn't know where his next real challenge is, what the next step is. Davy Jones kind of creates one for him, but it makes him wonder what he wants. I think discovering he wants a person instead of an object plays with his mind a little.

Jack of Blades
Originally posted by willofthewisp
No, possessions can't make someone truly happy, so I agree with that, but I think it is possible that some of the people in this world who didn't marry/fall in love are happy. So someone fulfilling a challenging career, exploring the world, experiencing a freedom previously not found, and making friends can lead to happiness. Whether Jack likes him or not, Will has been a friend to him, and Liz is certainly a friend, and I think even Gibbs and Anamaria could be friends. People find happiness from things other than just having a lover, and I agree with whoever said it earlier that you have to be a complete person anyway before you can be completed by someone else.
So I think after the first movie, Jack was happy, just a little confused. He doesn't know where his next real challenge is, what the next step is. Davy Jones kind of creates one for him, but it makes him wonder what he wants. I think discovering he wants a person instead of an object plays with his mind a little.
I agree with you.Not only a lover can make you trully happy but material possions cant make you fully happy too.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by willofthewisp

They are happy yes..but if that person never experienced true love..not just male female love..I mean love from a family, love/trust from true friends..that person is often increadibly lonley..they are silently crying out for love but not getting it..imagine a child who has never experienced love from his family..that child NEEDs something to cling to..they often find a possesion to love, with jack..its his possesions too..Jack has no one to truly TRUST, not even Gibbs or his crew..IMO it seems as if he is crying out for someone who he knows he can have complete and utter faith in...and this usually comes from a soul mate..Jack needs one IMO. the only person who he really shows any kind of true trust towards is Liz. She is the only one who sees the real him...and she still loves him for who he is even after seeing how weak he can be..and I think that means more to him than we see at the moment..

She betrayed him yes..but It wasnt the same kind of betrayal as before..this time she did it because she was afraifd that she loved him...which confirms that she DOES feel for him...which he is pretty happy about as you can see in that scene laughing out loud he's pretty darn excited at the thought of her caring so much about him that she actually sees him as a threat..

diddly-dum
Now you are a Romance specialist?? JK

diddly-dum
Sorry I meant JoB.

LovelyOne
I say this because I have never found true love(I've been with guys but never the right ones)..when I don't have that kind love In my life I start to crave it..it sounds sad yeslaughing out loud..but I crave love from someone...I don't have it at the moment..so my material possessions are very important to me...but if I found that true love..I can bet you that they would take a complete backseat in my life...they wont be important to me any more...what will be important to me is making my boyfriend happy and him giving me happiness...I wont need my playsation or what ever to keep me temporarily happy..just like Jack wont always need his ship and captains hat if he finds what he really craves in Liz..

I cant imagine how a character like Jack must feel..he clearly has never really been loved by anyone..he's beena loner most of his life. He has constantly been betrayed..so I can understand why he clings onto things that he thinks CANT HURT HIM BACK..but by doing that..you are never really safe from danger..or actually happy..you think you are..but you arn't...Jar of dirt was a big wake up call for Jack to stop putting all his confidence and all his trust into material things..they cant be a long term answer for happiness and protection..Jar of dirt totally screwed Jack over...

diddly-dum
I don't mean you LO,.... Thanx for sharing that though!I'm the same way,.. well, abit.

Jack of Blades
Well A friendcan be a family too even if not officialy

LovelyOne
I know this is a really stupid comparison..but if you look at Michael Jackson, he was betrayed by alot of the adults in his life..he never felt like he got the love he needed from people as a kid/teenager so he put all his faith into animals, children, toys, gadgets etc as he got older...all people and things he thought could never betray or hurt him..he thought that creating this whole peter pan image would make people love him..he felt that image was the most imporatant thing in the world to people and himself..but all of it NEVER really filled in that emptiness inside..now look at him..he is a SHELL of a person.

I really like Michael and his earlier work..I think that its a huge tragedy that he never got the love/friendship he really needed as a kid or as an adult..it created a huge void that he felt he had to fill with aload of inanimate objects, surgery, people and animals... things that he felt would never betray him..but it totally colapsed around him..its just what HAPPENS to people when they don't have the friendship they crave..they try to make up for it in other ways that never really make them truly happy..

and No I dont think Michael Jackson is a pedophile...so I'm not making that comparison with Jack laughing out loud

this whole cycle of not having the love you need throughout your life and then trying to gain it from inanimate objects happens with almost EVERY rock star/celeb in the business...they totally cant handle living up to the reputation so they do really stupid things like turn to drugs and inanimate objects to make themselves happy...they feel like they cant get it from people..they think that having a big ass house and a flat screen TV in your wardrobe makes you soooo much cooler..when its all pretty mucn not needed in life..just like Jack does with his many objects...jack Sparrow is like the rock star of the 18th century..I'm not just talking crap here the director has said this and Johnny has too..he based his character on Keith Richards for gods sake lol..th biggest example of someone who thinks drugs/booze and inanimate obkects are what you need to be happy in life when all it does is damage you..

katelovespirate
so i was having a thought earlier...
what if, back when Jack was working for the EITC, he fell in love with a nice proper girl, and then once he turned pirate, she dumped him because she couldnt take that life? or something? so that made him rather cynical and wary of true love, and made him only want to be with easy women or something.

just a crazy theory... big grin

CaptinJackLover
thats a very good theory. that could have actually happened!

katelovespirate
ooooh.... i smell a fanfic in the making... hahaha

CaptinJackLover
LOL.

willofthewisp
I could see that. But I think Jack always had "pirate"' in him. Like Liz, I think he's always wanted that kind of life deep down, so I could see him being very disatisfied with someone who wouldn't want that.

LovelyOne
He wasn't always a pirate. He used to work for the EITC and Beckett as a young man..until he decided to object to them after they tried to make him transport slaves..he was branded pirate with that P by Beckett..he ran away and embraced a life of piracy..Maybe he DID always have that pirate nature deep within him like you said..and he embraced it once he realised that life of "honor" wasn't all that satisfying..which is actually what Liz has come to realise in the latest movie ...she doesn't want a master to obey (Will/marriage) she wants to be free so she embraces the pirate life..which makes jack/iz even more alike to be honest..

I agree with you though..he is atracted to someone who shows the same qualities he has

diddly-dum
In answer to Why do some people find it SO hard to picture Jack sticking with a girl? I think its because he shouldn't be tetherd down by love,... Love can be a very weakspot for the enemy to play with.

CaptinJackLover
OH thats really true! . but Jack is smart enough to outsmart enemies so he has nothing to worry about.

diddly-dum
I don't kow,.. he uaually bargins with someone elses life,.. then goes back to save them

CaptinJackLover
exactly. he goes back and saves them! they are safe no matter what he does with them. if he cares about her. he will make sure she is safe.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by diddly-dum
In answer to Why do some people find it SO hard to picture Jack sticking with a girl? I think its because he shouldn't be tetherd down by love,... Love can be a very weakspot for the enemy to play with.

but for Jack..he is pretty weak once you remove all the objects that make him feel strong..the objects that resemble strength..thats not a good way to live life..putting faith into material objects..and not allowing anyone to get close to you..

The jar of dirt was one MASSIVE wake up call for him..He put all of his faith into it and it caused him A LOT more problems when it came to the heart..it made matters MUCH WORSE..that is his weak spot! he relies too heavily on material objects..living his his life relying on nobody all the time is pretty dangerous..you cant put all of your trust into material things all the time..like a jar of dirt..movie 2 slapped that right in his face..hopefully he will learn from that mistake..and actually let someone get close to him..

I actually think that Tia gave that to him to make him REALISE this because she knows that Jack is struggling to win liz over to his side....to help give him a push in the right direction she has to make him realise that material objects should come second in life if you want a woman..

or perhaps she is the secret enemy who kows how to find his weak spot..by giving him a false saftey net..she knows he will cling onto it..and it ill screw him over in the end..she can see into the future cant she..

diddly-dum
Like I've said before, many times,.. my "finds" can't be supported by others so they crash down,.. actually finding faults in my ideas is actually good for me!

LovelyOne
No its a very good point you make..when you have a love in your life.. you dont want them to get hurt..If you are someone like Jack sparrow..lots of people are after your blood..so its not really safe for anyone to be with him..

Maybe he is so afraid to let someone get close because he IS a naturally caring person and he knows that if he finds and loves a woman..his enemies will hurt her to get to him..I think Jack would hate the thought of someone he cared about being hurt because of HIM...so he is afraid of letting someone get close to him..

diddly-dum
Thats what I meant,.. exactly actually!

LovelyOne
LOL laughing out loud

diddly-dum
well, it twas!

LovelyOne
yes I know..its just the way you said it big grin

diddly-dum
what do ya mean!?

taliakai
lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.