China Bans "The Simpsons" From Television

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/china-bans-simpsons-from-prime-time/20060813124009990001?_ccc=6&cid=842

They also banned Pokemon (well, THAT's not such a bad thing), South Park and Disney movies....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dr. Zaius
This is truly the last straw. Invade!

WrathfulDwarf
The Simpsons suck these days so good for them. But South Park? come on...

Draco69
Their reasoning is:

"Our cartoons suck! American and Japanese ones are better. We ban them and make everybody watch crappy Monkey King whether they like it or not! Long Live Communism!"

Victor Von Doom
Oh, how will I continue my day, in this knowledge?

Deano
what will happen if they buy some simpsons dvds, will they get the firing squad?............smile

WrathfulDwarf
....Or Chinese water torture...wink

Soleran
Originally posted by Deano
what will happen if they buy some simpsons dvds, will they get the firing squad?............smile

They'll shoot your dog!

Shakyamunison
How many people in China have TVs anyway?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How many people in China have TVs anyway?

Probably more than in the US.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Probably more than in the US.

Really? I thought most people in China lived in undeveloped rural villages. Here in the US every house has at least one or more TVs.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Really? I thought most people in China lived in undeveloped rural villages. Here in the US every house has at least one or more TVs.

Oh well it was jsut a guess...but considering that there are more than a billion people there it might be true regardless....I'm in no way an expert on the amount of TVs in China though

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Draco69
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/china-bans-simpsons-from-prime-time/20060813124009990001?_ccc=6&cid=842

They also banned Pokemon (well, THAT's not such a bad thing), South Park and Disney movies....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Simpsons banned w00t

Disney movies banned cry

South Park banned weep

Pokemon banned..... BASTARDS, HOW COULD THEY!?! mad

Soleran
Those Communists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's McCarthy when you need him!

PVS
amazing how efficient they are. to accomplish this while focusing so much energy on banning basic human rights. way to go china thumb up

ThePittman
Doesn't suprise me in the least.

FeceMan
China still cool! You pay later! Later!

KidRock
Crazy that if the US butchered 50,000 dogs and banned tv shows there would be mass liberal tree hugging protests and people all over the world talking about how the US sucks..but since it didnt happen in the US it doesnt really matter.

Darth Jello
anything they banned would have to be better than the arab language "Al-Shampshoon" Where the "homer" character gets wasted off of "soda pop" at moes's

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KidRock
Crazy that if the US butchered 50,000 dogs and banned tv shows there would be mass liberal tree hugging protests

That seems preferable to sitting back and defending it.

ChancellorGohan
Originally posted by FeceMan
China still cool! You pay later! Later!

China is not cool to me. It is only cool to you. Just because you say it is, doesnt mean it is. In China the US is thought to be bad. In the US China is bad. You belief is only true to you.

-Chancellor Gohan.

Bardock42
Originally posted by ChancellorGohan
China is not cool to me. It is only cool to you. Just because you say it is, doesnt mean it is. In China the US is thought to be bad. In the US China is bad. You belief is only true to you.

-Chancellor Gohan.

How nice, I will be the first....die, whob.

Da preacher
They even banned Prince from China, can u imagine a country where u can't buy CD's from Prince?

OMG!

Flamboyant4Life
Originally posted by Bardock42
How nice, I will be the first....die, whob. I knew it!

WrathfulDwarf
I wonder if the chinese government would ban me. hmm

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Da preacher
They even banned Prince from China, can u imagine a country where u can't buy CD's from Prince?

OMG!

You know, I think Prince is talented but I don't understand why he can't record a song that is less than an hour and a half long. Am I the only one who has noticed that his songs go on and on and on?

DarkC

roll eyes (sarcastic)
My country is pathetic.

allofyousuckkk
isn't pokemon chinese?

Magee
Japanese.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
You know, I think Prince is talented but I don't understand why he can't record a song that is less than an hour and a half long. Am I the only one who has noticed that his songs go on and on and on?

A?

Alpha Centauri

Despite there being many applicable questions in response to this post, the most obvious would be: Where could you possibly have got that idea from?

-AC

Lyna303
i actually went to china last year...its not like all the stereotypes...well some but it really is an advanced country and i think it is slowly changing for the better...its citizens can acually say bad things about their government...

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by ThePittman
Doesn't suprise me in the least.

Spearhead
Did you people even read the article?

They're not banning these shows, but rather limiting the times in which they can be shown. It's just a lame attempt to help out their poor animation studios do better, restricting viewers at a certain time to only native-made cartoons. This only side steps the real problem though--that these animators suck, and TV stations will suffer the consequences when viewers change the channel to something else. Without any real competition for prime time positions, these shows will become even worse because they have a monopoly for specific times. Though to be frank, it's not really a big deal and considering what the cartoon viewers prefer, foreign-made shows, this ploy will backfire and it'll most likely be back to the old ways.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Spearhead
Well, no.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ChancellorGohan

-Chancellor Gohan.

I think he was quoting The Simpsons; the episode where Lisa becomes president.

Plus it's not the country that's bad, just the way it is being run, don't group a 6th of the world's population into your little bash.

Imperial_Samura
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/china-bans-Simpson's-from-prime-time/20060813124009990001?_ccc=6&cid=842

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, plenty of other nations have banned, or heavily censored, or put a watershed on other shows and the Simpson's. Certain Middle Eastern countries spring to mind.

And then there are nations that simply never imported them to begin with.

pr1983
I heard that they only did it to help their own struggling animation companies...

Alfheim
Originally posted by Lyna303
i actually went to china last year...its not like all the stereotypes...well some but it really is an advanced country and i think it is slowly changing for the better...its citizens can acually say bad things about their government...

I hope your SURE, cos if your not you could wake up in some jail cell. Dont get me wrong im not sayng your a liar, sometimes what you see and what is actually going on can be decieving.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Despite there being many applicable questions in response to this post, the most obvious would be: Where could you possibly have got that idea from?

-AC

First, I'm sure you realize there is some exageration. But I got that from listening to them. And on average his songs last forever! Especially his 80's music. It must have been the cocain.

Alpha Centauri
First, I'm sure you realize there is some exageration. But I got that from listening to them. And on average his songs last forever! Especially his 80's music. It must have been the cocain.

Forever? Purple Rain is 8 minutes and 45 seconds long, that's one of his longer songs.

Unless, of course, 8 minutes is "forever" to you.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Forever? Purple Rain is 8 minutes and 45 seconds long, that's one of his longer songs.

-AC

Well, then perhaps I find his music so grating that is seems that way.

Imperial_Samura

-AC

Which isn't that much worse then Don McLean's American Pie. Now that song seemed so much longer then it actually is.

Still, I give it kudos as during my High School grad I asked a girl I liked to dance next song (naturally she accepted)... which just happened to be the full American Pie. Close slow dancing for 8 minutes. Ahh, memories.

Da preacher

-AC

His longest song is The war which is 26 min., which I doubt this person has ever heard. The longest song he must have heard then must be Purple rain which is 8 minutes.

And overall his 90's songs last longer than his 80's songs.

In the 80's u've practically only got Purple Rain, in the 90's u've got The War, Gold, Come, Cloreen bacon Skin, Crystal Ball etc.

The only Prince songs I think is 2 long is Cloreen Bacon Skin which lasts 15 minutes.

Alpha Centauri
His longest song is The war which is 26 min., which I doubt this person has ever heard. The longest song he must have heard then must be Purple rain which is 8 minutes.

And overall his 90's songs last longer than his 80's songs.

In the 80's u've practically only got Purple Rain, in the 90's u've got The War, Gold, Come, Cloreen bacon Skin, Crystal Ball etc.

The only Prince songs I think is 2 long is Cloreen Bacon Skin which lasts 15 minutes.

Well technically Lovesexy was intended as one song, at around 45 minutes.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'The Simpsons' banned in China, eh?

Is that because they're yellow?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Well, plenty of other nations have banned, or heavily censored, or put a watershed on other shows and the Simpson's. Certain Middle Eastern countries spring to mind.

And then there are nations that simply never imported them to begin with.

I agree. Its not like China is the only or the first country to do so. Meh, what you never had, you can't miss.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

I think you are on to something here...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

Probably those damn mongorians tryan a-bweak down a sheety warll.

Oh wait, that's South Park.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Probably those damn mongorians tryan a-bweak down a sheety warll.

Oh wait, that's South Park.

-AC

Still, it's got the funny. Funny, funny, funny...Wait, I want to do a Bardock:

'a-bweak'...I get it...That's good. 'sheety warll'...haha...I get that as well. It's also funny.

Da preacher
Well technically Lovesexy was intended as one song, at around 45 minutes.

-AC

Yeah, but the most recent CD-release of LoveSexy is a 9-track album.

" Eye No"
"Alphabet St."
"Glam Slam"
"Anna Stesia"
"Dance On"
"Lovesexy"
"When 2 R In Love"
"I Wish U Heaven"
"Positivity"

FoxMeister
Originally posted by Deano
They'll probably burn a simpsons t-shirt. blowupchinesehitler

Gregory
So China only lets shows be shown on certain times because they want people to watch Chinese TV. Doesn't Canada do something similar (networks must show x amounts of Canadian television)? I know that China is an evil dictatorship and we're supposed to hate all their policies, but really, who gives a damn?

~Da Rev~
China (or Japan) had never allowed The Simpsons to air, because they had 4 fingers. And that was a sign of a gang. So...yeah...

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, but the most recent CD-release of LoveSexy is a 9-track album.

" Eye No"
"Alphabet St."
"Glam Slam"
"Anna Stesia"
"Dance On"
"Lovesexy"
"When 2 R In Love"
"I Wish U Heaven"
"Positivity"

It wasn't intended as that. I don't have that one, I have the one song one.

-AC

Da preacher
As do I.

WickedTexasMomA
Well that seems rather petty.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Gregory
So China only lets shows be shown on certain times because they want people to watch Chinese TV. Doesn't Canada do something similar (networks must show x amounts of Canadian television)? I know that China is an evil dictatorship and we're supposed to hate all their policies, but really, who gives a damn?

I thought every nation had a provision as such. Australia has things in place to try and insure we aren't totally drowned by shows from the US and England - that is protecting Australian content, and insuring it has a chance to get to the screens. As it is it has been poorly done. So many bad US shows get in. Terrible sitcoms. Terrible reality TV. Fortunately youR Fox News is regulated to 4am on one station in the dead zone with TV evangelists and telemall shopping.

I think it is a good thing to, to try and protect local content from mass produced, cheaply attainable television. I mean, sure, a little is good. But how many more versions of CSI and Law and Order can we possibly buy from the US and put on? How many more "smash hits in the US!" do we have in us? I mean, it seems as changable as the sun - is every show in the US a smash hit, or do people just move on quickly over there?

Alfheim
Originally posted by Spearhead

They're not banning these shows, but rather limiting the times in which they can be shown. It's just a lame attempt to help out their poor animation studios do better, restricting viewers at a certain time to only native-made cartoons. This only side steps the real problem though--that these animators suck, and TV stations will suffer the consequences when viewers change the channel to something else. Without any real competition for prime time positions, these shows will become even worse because they have a monopoly for specific times. Though to be frank, it's not really a big deal and considering what the cartoon viewers prefer, foreign-made shows, this ploy will backfire and it'll most likely be back to the old ways.

Sorry no I did not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.