Military Translator Discharged For Being Gay

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/US/story?id=2274124&page=1

Which begs the question:

Should homosexuals be allowed to serve the US military?

ChancellorGohan
That pretty bad. Now who are they going to use to translate information they get from gay arabs?

Draco69
I don't know...umbrellas with ducksauce on them?

docb77
Personally I think that the actual military should get to decide. They would know better than anyone how it would affect them. That being said, I don't have a problem with it. My knee-jerk reaction is, "of course not." But after consideration, The military shouldn't be about that. If someone want's to put their life on the line, more power to them and we should respect that. The biggest potential problems I see are uncomfortable living arrangements, and possible hazing.

Basically banning gays makes about as much sense as banning adulterers or fornicators (which would pretty much eliminate the military from what I've heard.)

-edit-

I don't think however that it should be an issue. I don't think it should be a question on a form, and I don't think that people gay or straight should make a point of talking about their sexuality.

Draco69
Originally posted by docb77
Personally I think that the actual military should get to decide. They would know better than anyone how it would affect them. That being said, I don't have a problem with it. My knee-jerk reaction is, "of course not." But after consideration, The military shouldn't be about that. If someone want's to put their life on the line, more power to them and we should respect that. The biggest potential problems I see are uncomfortable living arrangements, and possible hazing.

Basically banning gays makes about as much sense as banning adulterers or fornicators (which would pretty much eliminate the military from what I've heard.)

Banning homosexuals makes about as much sense as banning blacks.

I mean they're incredibly stupid, they're likely to smoke weed and listen to gangsta rap on duty and they more likely to shoot each other over some badly cut crack than the enemy.

And what sane white man would want to live with a Negro? Jesus, you know they're gonna be up all night watching BET and being all loud. Stealth is gonna be impossible with them!

docb77
Originally posted by Draco69

I mean they're incredibly stupid, they're likely to smoke weed and listen to gangsta rap on duty and they more likely to shoot each other over some badly cut crack than the enemy.

And what sane white man would want to live with a Negro? Jesus, you know they're gonna be up all night watching BET and being all loud. Stealth is gonna be impossible with them!

You joke, but how long did it take to actually integrate blacks into the military? Blacks have pretty much always served, but for most of the time they were separate units.

Here's the question though, would you want an openly racist person in a mostly black unit? That's how most people are probably looking at this.

Flamboyant4Life
I didn't know that you could not serve in the military if you were gay. Well if there is a draft anytime soon, I'm just going to say that I'm gay.

Draco69
Originally posted by Flamboyant4Life
I didn't know that you could not serve in the military if you were gay. Well if there is a draft anytime soon, I'm just going to say that i'm gay.

You CAN...as long as nobody knows. So if you're gay, you need a faghag to pose as a girlfriend, buy alot of Playboys to stick under your bed and practice your dating stories for your fellow soldiers....

"Don't ask, don't tell"

Flamboyant4Life
No, I mean say that I'm gay to get out of the draft.

Draco69
You joke, but how long did it take to actually integrate blacks into the military? Blacks have pretty much always served, but for most of the time they were separate units.

They served as FULL citizens for the first time in WWI. And it wasn't pretty. They were lynched by their fellow soldiers. White soldiers absolutely refused to bunk with them. The black soldiers were literally used as human shields in the miltary.

They were outright against it because A) they believe blacks wouldn't be good soldiers (like gays...) and B) they believed blacks in the miltary would disrupt unit cohesion (like gays...)

Well history proved them wrong, did it not?

Here's the question though, would you want an openly racist person in a mostly black unit? That's how most people are probably looking at this.

That's an extremely poor analogy....

You're assuming that a racist person is synomously offensive as a gay person in the military as to straight person.

That's bull.

All blacks don't like racists who call them the n-word....

Straight guys in the miltary? They don't give a f*ck. Some of them have a problem with it. But ALL of them? Hardly. In fact, most scientific polls show that military soldiers don't have a problem with gay people serving in the miltary.

Why should we pander the few, homophobic soldiers who can't serve functionally with gay people in the military?

They're the minority. They should be discharged. Either put up or shut up.

If they can't deal with a gay person interpreting key witnesses of them, than they certainly cannot deal with far more serious issues and they certainly don't belong in the army...

ChancellorGohan
I belief that all people should be allowed to talk about their sexuality in the military, cause then it would take their minds off of all of the less important issues, like defending the country.

I\'ll bee using spellcheck for now on, so I\'ll sound more intelligent. They\'re might still be some error though, cause they don\'t have grammar check.

Draco69
Originally posted by Flamboyant4Life
No, I mean say that I'm gay to get out of the draft.

They tried that in the Vietnam War. Didn't work for most people. They actually needed PROOF they were gay.

ChancellorGohan
They tried that in the Vietnam War. Didn\'t work for most people. They actually needed PROOF they were gay.

So if a man have sex with another man, and then he take pictures of it to get out of the draft, would that make him gay?

Draco69
Originally posted by ChancellorGohan
So if a man have sex with another man, and then he take pictures of it to get out of the draft, would that make him gay?

Some actually tried that, believe it or not.

It would have been far less stressing if they escaped to Canada like Senator Kerry...

Flamboyant4Life
They tried that in the Vietnam War. Didn't work for most people. They actually needed PROOF they were gay. Oh I'd think of a way.

Capt_Fantastic
Basically banning gays makes about as much sense as banning adulterers or fornicators

Blacks have pretty much always served, but for most of the time they were separate units.

Well, then we can have seperate units for blacks, gays and fornicaters and we can call it the 501st embarassment brigade.

ChancellorGohan
Some actually tried that, believe it or not.

It would have been far less stressing if they escaped to Canada like Senator Kerry...

Butt if he liked it that won time, would that mean he bee gay?

ChancellorGohan
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Well, then we can have seperate units for blacks, gays and fornicaters and we can call it the 501st embarassment brigade.

Or one for gay black, one for gay white, and one for all the normal people.

Forgot to add one for gay chinese, gay indian, and gay south american.

i think it easier just to put all the gays together.

Actually it just be easier too not talk about you\'re sexuality regardless of what race you are.

FeceMan
Rofldoodle.

Anyway, I don't see a reason that gays shouldn't be allowed to serve.

Bardock42
"Here's how I feel about gays in the military: Anyone ... dumb enough ... to want to be in the military ... should be allowed in. End of ****ing story. That should be the only requirement. I don't care how many push-ups you can do - put on a helmet, go wait in that fox hole. We'll tell you when we need you to kill somebody. I've been watching all these Congressional hearings and all these military guys and all the pundits going, 'The esprit de corps will be affected, and we are such a moral ...' Excuse me, but aren't you all a bunch of ****ing hired killers? Shut up! You are thugs, and when we need you to go blow the **** out of a nation of little brown people, we'll let you know. Until then ..."

- Bill Hicks

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardock42
"Here's how I feel about gays in the military: Anyone ... dumb enough ... to want to be in the military ... should be allowed in. End of ****ing story. That should be the only requirement. I don't care how many push-ups you can do - put on a helmet, go wait in that fox hole. We'll tell you when we need you to kill somebody. I've been watching all these Congressional hearings and all these military guys and all the pundits going, 'The esprit de corps will be affected, and we are such a moral ...' Excuse me, but aren't you all a bunch of ****ing hired killers? Shut up! You are thugs, and when we need you to go blow the **** out of a nation of little brown people, we'll let you know. Until then ..."

- Bill Hicks

When you told me I could find him on youtube, I looked him up and watched that clip.

Bardock42
When you told me I could find him on youtube, I looked him up and watched that clip.

Of course you did...you are gay afterall. He has much more really good stuff though.

Capt_Fantastic
Oh I watched more than that one...I just thought it was odd that that was one of the clips I saw and then this thread came along and you quoted it and were the one who told me to look him up on youtube.

Bardock42
Oh I watched more than that one...I just thoought it was odd that that was one of the clips I saw and then this thread came along and you quoted it and were th eone who told me to look him up on youtube.

It all fits together...we should get married...ah shit.

Capt_Fantastic
It all fits together...we should get married...ah shit.

I'm not wearing the dress.

Bardock42
I'm not wearing the dress.

I know, I know...you are a top...no one denies your manliness...

docb77
They served as FULL citizens for the first time in WWI. And it wasn't pretty. They were lynched by their fellow soldiers. White soldiers absolutely refused to bunk with them. The black soldiers were literally used as human shields in the miltary.

They were outright against it because A) they believe blacks wouldn't be good soldiers (like gays...) and B) they believed blacks in the miltary would disrupt unit cohesion (like gays...)

Well history proved them wrong, did it not?

That's an extremely poor analogy....

You're assuming that a racist person is synomously offensive as a gay person in the military as to straight person.

That's bull.

All blacks don't like racists who call them the n-word....

Straight guys in the miltary? They don't give a f*ck. Some of them have a problem with it. But ALL of them? Hardly. In fact, most scientific polls show that military soldiers don't have a problem with gay people serving in the miltary.

Why should we pander the few, homophobic soldiers who can't serve functionally with gay people in the military?

They're the minority. They should be discharged. Either put up or shut up.

If they can't deal with a gay person interpreting key witnesses of them, than they certainly cannot deal with far more serious issues and they certainly don't belong in the army...

Ok, If you read my first post you'll realize I said I didn't have a problem with gays serving. I just said that the actual military should get to make the decision rather than some politician that doesn't know anything about military life.

secondly, I admit that my analogy was extreme, but it illustrated a point. Even if a racist kept his mouth shut and didn't denigrate any of his squadmates, both he and the blacks in the squad would feel uncomfortable with him there. That feeling may not be as intense for gays in a mostly straight squad, but it would be there. (As an aside, I've read stories of racists who changed there minds after serving with blacks in the military)

The fact that "homophobes" may be the minority has nothing to do with it, Gays would be a minority too, so what?

Key witnesses??? confused

Capt_Fantastic
I know, I know...you are a top...no one denies your manliness...

Just making sure.

Bardock42
Just making sure.

You'd look great in that dress i picked though.

Nichole
If someone wants to put his/her life on the line to serve their country, should their sexual orientation matter? Does their sexuality mean they will not perform as well as others? Can they not do their jobs as efficiently?

It is not up to the military to decide. If someone is willing to fight for their country, then they should be welcomed aboard. smile

GCG
Originally posted by Nichole
If someone wants to put his/her life on the line to serve their country, should their sexual orientation matter? Does their sexuality mean they will not perform as well as others? Can they not do their jobs as efficiently?

It is not up to the military to decide. If someone is willing to fight for their country, then they should be welcomed aboard. smile

But Of Couuuurrrse they may do their job properly in the army. I am sure a gay comrade would do the utmost to save his buddy's ass on the batty-field.

Nichole
Originally posted by GCG
But Of Couuuurrrse they may do their job properly in the army. I am sure a gay comrade would do the utmost to save his buddy's ass on the batty-field.

Well, that's just it-how could you trust them to do just that? A gay man/woman may be willing to put their life on the line for their country, and their fellow soldiers, but would others be willing to put their lives on the line for their gay comrad?

Ushgarak
Actually, I am a bit of a loss as to what "Don't ask, Don't tell" means if apparently you can run large investigations into finding out if someone is gay or not.

Isn't that kinda asking? He didn't tell, where is their end of the bargain?

Alliance
Historically, the military is often the most eagltarian organization in a state. I really can imagine that the US military will adopt a policy that will allow homosexuals to serve openly in the next few years, especially if the US involvment in Iraq continues.

Most people in the military don't care if a soldier is gay or not. Its the archaic top of the structure.

...and there is nothing dumb about bing in the military. Some of the spartest guys i know served in it. It really shows you a whole knew side to the world.

FeceMan
I never knew Clinton was such a homophobe, with the homosexual discrimination and whatnot.

Draco69
Originally posted by FeceMan
I never knew Clinton was such a homophobe, with the homosexual discrimination and whatnot.

Actually, he tried to get rid of the disbarring of gays in the military but it ruffled a few feathers that a president shouldn't ruffle.

So they agreed on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that does allow gays in the military...as long as they do everything in their power to hide it.

Unfortunately, it backfired terribly.

For example, female soldiers are being raped by male soldiers who threaten to "out" them as lesbians and have them discharged. Many are blackmailed with being "outed" as homosexual. Unfortunately, all it takes is whisper of a rumor for grounds of dismissal.

If anyone importants suspects you're gay or even wonders if you're gay, they can discharge you no questions asked nor any answers given.

FeceMan
I was being facetious.

Quiero Mota

Black guys know how to shoot guns; **** don't.

In fact, a gay soldier would probably hesitate to shoot an enemy because "He's too cute" and get himself and comrades killed.

Draco69
Originally posted by FeceMan
I was being facetious.

Ahh. *sigh*

I severely lack proper social skills....

Draco69
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

In fact, a gay soldier would probably hesitate to shoot an enemy because "He's too cute" and get himself and comrades killed.

Nah. The black guys will probably shoot each other for their $2000 dollar rims on a 1998 Neon. The gay guys will probably go gung-ho on the enemy. Too many cute guys in the American military after all. Noone messes with their men!!

Quiero Mota
Too many cute guys in the American military after all. Noone messes with their men!!

laughing

Yeah, but most gays in the military are on large boats wearing white uniforms, so its unlikely that they'll see combat.

mysticpeach

Thats just bull. What are with these stereotypes about gay men??
I mean you could say the same thing about women not doing what they need to do because they see a "cute" guy...
and just to make the point, i think it would be a good thing if there were less wars because people refused to kill each other...

Of course we should let people of all sexual orientations who want to be in the army join if they want to.. yet i don't think we should be at war in the first place..

Draco69
Originally posted by mysticpeach
Thats just bull. What are with these stereotypes about gay men??
I mean you could say the same thing about women not doing what they need to do because they see a "cute" guy...
and just to make the point, i think it would be a good thing if there were less wars because people refused to kill each other...

Of course we should let people of all sexual orientations who want to be in the army join if they want to.. yet i don't think we should be at war in the first place..

We were joking... sad

And yes, I completely agree.

We should only discriminate against midgets. They're only meant for casual amusement at the benefit of the larger society...

laughing

mysticpeach
hehe...
I'll save talking about how midgets should have just as many rights stick out tongue

Jim Reaper
It's an issue... It can cause work-related problems, in combat units. "I don't want to be in that squad because my lover is in another... Why should I cover Private Butthead, I'm to worried about my sweetie at the other objective." Openly gay lifestyles would decimate morale in the military. It will never be accepted.

Lord Urizen

- Bill Hicks

laughing I actually agree with you !

Imperial_Samura
laughing

Yeah, but most gays in the military are on large boats wearing white uniforms, so its unlikely that they'll see combat.

Damn it! Why do the army and Navy get all of this stereotype based joke action? Are we forgetting the fly boys? Are we forgetting Top Gun? Are we forgetting... the Air force?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Damn it! Why do the army and Navy get all of this stereotype based joke action? Are we forgetting the fly boys? Are we forgetting Top Gun? Are we forgetting... the Air force?

The posh boys...

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
The posh boys...

Yes, yes. And I was also thinking of Maddox's take on Top Gun.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Yes, yes. And I was also thinking of Maddox's take on Top Gun. laughing out loud

BlackC@
I think it's ridiculous that they discharged him. It's not like he's got some kind of viral disease.

Quiero Mota

What about the Air Force.....aka, the Chair Force? The USAF is in no way affiliated with the Navy. They used to be the U.S. Army Air Force until the 40's.

And as for Top Gun; I wasn't referring to Navy pilots.

Imperial_Samura
What about the Air Force.....aka, the Chair Force? The USAF is in no way affiliated with the Navy. They used to be the U.S. Army Air Force until the 40's.

And as for Top Gun; I wasn't referring to Navy pilots.

I know that, I was joking. The Navy and the army get all these jokes, the air force should get a cut of the action as well.

Quiero Mota
True, and I did say "Chair Force" which is an ever-so-affectionate nickname the Marines call them on account that that's where they spend most of their time.

Alliance
Nah. The black guys will probably shoot each other for their $2000 dollar rims on a 1998 Neon. The gay guys will probably go gung-ho on the enemy. Too many cute guys in the American military after all. Noone messes with their men!!

Unfortunately the concept of brothers never entered in this conversation.

Were too busy being focused on who we think the gay soldier thinks is cuter.

No wonder the public has issues accepting gays in the military.

FeceMan
Yes, yes. And I was also thinking of Maddox's take on Top Gun.
Just so gay.

Nogoodnamesleft
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/US/story?id=2274124&page=1

Which begs the question:

Should homosexuals be allowed to serve the US military?

They shouldn't be allowed to serve in any military.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
They shouldn't be allowed to serve in any military.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like gays. Do you have anything else to say on this forum?

BackFire
Hey, if gay men are allowed to perform oral sex on the other soldiers then I can't think of a better morale booster.

debbiejo
They shouldn't be allowed to serve in any military. Why??? Gays are everywhere else...

Nogoodnamesleft
Anyways, as for whatever went wrong, I blame liberals and political correctness. It just seems logical. No sarcasm intended.

Bardock42
Hehe, who's dick do I have to suck not to be sent to war sounds.....why did I say that...anyways, amuses me.

Alliance
Anyways, as for whatever went wrong, I blame liberals and political correctness. It just seems logical. No sarcasm intended.

Yeah. Its always the liberals fault. Way to play the fool.

Imperial_Samura

So... it is the liberals fault a gay man was discharged from the army due to a conservative and discriminatory rule? I can.... no I can't see the logic in that.

Or is it simply the liberals fault we are talking about it? Heaven forbid, I said heaven forbid we question such a ruling!

Bardock42
Hehe, who's dick do I have to suck not to be sent to war sounds.....why did I say that...anyways, amuses me.

*whose

Imperial_Samura

Hehehe. Good question though... you might have to go all the way to the top (which I guess means Bush.)

Bardock42
Hehehe. Good question though... you might have to go all the way to the top (which I guess means Bush.)

He'd dig it. Haha, dig...dick...I am still soo funny.

Alliance

As I said, i can see the rule being changed...soon.

Lord Urizen

You're an idiot. Your username should be "nogoodbrainsleft" yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.