Best and worst retcons in comics history?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucid Lui
What's the worst retcon in the history of comics?

What's the best retcon in the history of comics?

(Meaning of Retcon, List of a few retcons)

bigbran
darkseid.

Validus
Superman's history as Superboy being wiped out. The Legion has been screwed up ever since. John Byrne even admitted that was a screw up on his part and getting Byrne to admit he's wrong takes a hell of a lot.

H. S. 6
Bad: Gwen Stacy having sex with Normy.

Murda Ma$e
Norman not being dead.

Skeets
Originally posted by Validus
Superman's history as Superboy being wiped out. The Legion has been screwed up ever since. John Byrne even admitted that was a screw up on his part and getting Byrne to admit he's wrong takes a hell of a lot.
yes
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Bad: Gwen Stacy having sex with Normy. Originally posted by Murda Ma$e
Norman not being dead.
Most of Spidey's history is fuc'ked up.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Bad: Gwen Stacy having sex with Normy.

yes

I'd like to add anything having to do with the Pheonix. No one really knows what the hell's going on there. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cosmic Flame
Worst? Jean Grey's resurrection and the Phoenix Force as a separate entity. Too bad the writers and editors didn't see the havoc that would cause later on.

Omega-level
I did not read any issue of Spider-man with Gwen Stacy on it, and only begun to read Spidey again recently, but, yeah, the Gwen Stacy is a whore is the worse.

Second is Jean is alive, took back to life a character which had the best death in the history of comics, but is just uninteresting (IMO). Took away part of the impact of which is arguably the best saga in the history of comics, or at least the best in the history of X-men, made the two Summers brothers look like dicks, one for leaving his wife and the other for sleeping with his sister-in-law (in Scott's case, twice, since if he wasn't with Jean, he would bang Emma with no guilt), and made a good character go nuts (OK, Inferno is awesome, but...). And not to mention that every writer wants to write his own Phoenix saga. I think that both Scott and Jean would be way more popular if she had not come back.

manorastroman
i'm really glad that new x-men got retconned. i loved the story, but they way magneto was handled really was shameful.

the beyonder retcon was much needed.

one of the worst has to be robin coming back to life because superboy can punch SO HARD!

grey fox
Superboy primes 'retcon punch' was a retcon in itself.

Most of Black Panthers history is being effectively ****ed with...

Lucid Lui
Good to see so many people hate the Gwen Stacy retcon. That's one of the worst by far, along with what Hudlin is doing to Black Panther.

littleredhat
For the best. I would say Mary Jane's past and increased compatiblity with Peter.

The worst. Getting rid of Baby May.

marvelprince
I am SSOOO glad someone else agrees that having Gwen sleep with Norman was a terrible idea. I dropped the titles for a while after that fiasco. That was some of the most disrespectful pieces of crap I have ever read and IMO lessens the impact of Gwen's death. I mean, most people will just shrug off her death cause now she's a whore. I am still waiting for a written apology from JMS for Sin's Past and Sin's Remembered

Arahan
I dont like Spider-Girl, good she only exsists in that What If Universe.

Gwen bitching with Norman was one of the worst things I ever read.
Hell even Clone Saga was better.

Broly92
Wolverine he went from this
http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=max0009jpgw1tb.jpg

to this
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9697/img4249bd3.jpg

grey fox
Originally posted by Broly92
Wolverine he went from this
http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=max0009jpgw1tb.jpg

to this
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9697/img4249bd3.jpg

Is that you ?

Broly92
Originally posted by grey fox
Is that you ? No, why does that what you think I look like?

grey fox
Originally posted by Broly92
No, why does that what you think I look like?

No.....I just wondered who would be sad enough to do the look from the film and then hold clearly fake claws in between their fingers. To be quite honest I usually visualise members looking like ether their Sig's , names or avatars.

Broly92
You look pretty weird then

xmarksthespot
No.....I just wondered who would be sad enough to do the look from the film and then hold clearly fake claws in between their fingers. To be quite honest I usually visualise members looking like ether their Sig's , names or avatars. A lot of people tend to do that...

R.O.T. Yahman
No.....I just wondered who would be sad enough to do the look from the film and then hold clearly fake claws in between their fingers. To be quite honest I usually visualise members looking like ether their Sig's , names or avatars.

Its true, I've always imagined you a planetsized transformer, except when you where a litttle grey fox thing.

The best, finally making Captain Atom the Monarch, creating Cassandra Nova, Bringing Hal Jordan back, Returning Supes to godlike levels (pretty much since the doomsday incident), The Brian Bendis origin of the Void

the Worst; Hypertime, The Romijta origin of the Sentry, The Brian Bendis Xorn mess, The House of M (not because it was a bad idea, but because it generally sucked), making Hal Jordan possesed rather than crazy, Imperiex War (D.C. should have pumped more effort into Morissons 'World War Three'), G.S.'s new version of the phoenix, Thanos's Heart of the Universe being more powerful than the L.T.

grey fox
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Its true, I've always imagined you a planetsized transformer, except when you where a litttle grey fox thing.

Yeah , I ate pluto for breakfast..since it's not considered a planet anymore I thought 'what they hey' and chowed down.

H. S. 6

The best, finally making Captain Atom the Monarch, creating Cassandra Nova, Bringing Hal Jordan back, Returning Supes to godlike levels (pretty much since the doomsday incident), The Brian Bendis origin of the Void

the Worst; Hypertime, The Romijta origin of the Sentry, The Brian Bendis Xorn mess, The House of M (not because it was a bad idea, but because it generally sucked), making Hal Jordan possesed rather than crazy, Imperiex War (D.C. should have pumped more effort into Morissons 'World War Three'), G.S.'s new version of the phoenix, Thanos's Heart of the Universe being more powerful than the L.T.

A lot of those aren't really retcons. erm

Metalmanx

That would definitely be...interesting.

Guess that would make me Colossus then.

...Score.

Arahan
And Iam Quicksilver yeah laughing out loud

ScarletSpider
Or just Sentry himself.

ExodusCloak
The Phoenix IMO is the worst retcon ever...it screws with too much X-History and it's so hard to follow...

ankur29
the breaking of all hulk's bone by void in under a minute , i think i just preffered it when hulk had invunerability

i just can't see hulk as the 'strongest there is ' anymore , i felt real bad for him , that's a scar on his durabilty for life

Lucid Lui
Yeah but... that wasn't a retcon. That's something that just happened...

Juntai
Originally posted by ankur29
the breaking of all hulk's bone by void in under a minute , i think i just preffered it when hulk had invunerability

i just can't see hulk as the 'strongest there is ' anymore , i felt real bad for him , that's a scar on his durabilty for life Yeah, or when that other guy downed him in three punches?

Validus
Originally posted by ankur29

i just can't see hulk as the 'strongest there is ' anymore , i felt real bad for him , that's a scar on his durabilty for life
The bigger problem was that it took him seemingly days to heal from it. Hasn't this guy healed from a skeleton within seconds?

ankur29
yh , if you ask me wolverine has a better healing factor than hulk's depiction and hes got the indestructable skeleton if only hulk was powered up , its bad wroites that have him being beaten by snakes and beaten by a falling truck that give shame to teh strongest one the is, i honestly wish he had invunerability like when he started out

Solidus Snake
honestly marvel and dc have much to answer for

the phoenix thing is God awful

Creshosk
The House of M (not because it was a bad idea, but because it generally sucked), But it did suck. yes well the after math with decimation sucked.. Magneto and ProfX depowered... major suckage.. not to mention the characters we lost...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.