If YOU could edit the PT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Akira99
OK you have been assigned through some lucky and bizarre set of events, as George Lucas' chief advisor for editing the PT SWs films. You will be allowed to change stuff like lines, actions, anything you want . And George Lucas is not allowed to argue.
Give and discuss your list here

smoker4
Jar Jar Binks is killed off screen at the start of TPM

PVS
muy muy mesa love y----- *decapitated*

coolmovies
I would make EP 2 over again so fans dont complain eek!

Rampant ox
I love Ep2 no expression

But I would make sure that Count Dooku gets more screen time in ROTS. And eventually have him and Sidious fighting side by side against Mace and Yoda. I would also give GG a bigger part - perhaps fighting 2 or 3 jedi at once.

smoker4
Originally posted by PVS
muy muy mesa love y----- *decapitated*

laughing out loud

In retrospect i would like him killed on screen at the beginning of TPM

Sith Lord Windu
kill off jar jar is gold!

id have mace and palp' fighting faster as the speed for the two best saber duelers (of the jedi and sith) at the time was too slow.

i like the idea of GG fighting more jedi and i would have bigger battles (perhaps borrow fights from the CW cartoon).

id have the annoying blue helper that palp' uses killed by yoda or mace.

then id focuse more on the temple scene, having it better than the geonosis battle.

overall the basic story idea is ok and the way palp' maipulates the jedi and republic is good.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Rampant ox
I love Ep2 no expression

Why? Nothing happens. Episode II could be summarized into 30 minutes, if that.

coolmovies
all the fun begins at EP 3 big grin

DeVi| D0do
In Episode II editors chair: ctrl + A, delete.

Happy Dance

PVS
no no no, just cut out the boring waste of time scenes. what will be left is a truly awesome 20 minute film

Blue_Hefner
Plo Koon's role would be switched with Mace's.

JediRobin23
oh....where do I start

-Redo the voice of the droids so they're not so lame with the 'oh oh' lines
-well, redo the whole movie come to think of it

-redo the " I truly,deeply, love you" speech in AOTC
-In fact, get rid of Natalie Portman

-Keep ROTS exactly how it is (minus Natalie)

DeVi| D0do
Or... keep Natalie and digitally remove her top in every scene...

((The_Anomaly))
^^ Indeed

JKozzy
A-friggin'-men.

.:Space Opera:.
okay, this is finally my chance.

Ep 1:

-make anakin older so the love story between him and padme doesnt seem like a pedofile story, in fact introduce him as a padawan so you could see that at one point he was a perfect jedi learner
-take out friggin qui-gon cuz he's the lamest character ever.
-of course no jar jar
-keep the podrace
-DONT KILL OFF DARTH MAUL
- the end of the movie marks the beginning of the clone wars

Ep 2:
-the beginning of the movie is the middle of the clone wars
-rewrite the love story lines
-replace dooku with maul (because lets face it dooku is oh so lame)
-anakin gets not-to-conceded about his abilities
-padme is pregnant already

Ep 3:

padme has the twins at the beginning of the movie, and anakin wants the best for hi children even if that means taking control of the galaxy.
-anakin lusts for power
-take out the storyline of anakin being scared about padme's death, turning to the darkside is a choice and it makes it oh-so-lame when he gets tricked into making that decision based on dumb reasons.
-sidious fight scene faster
-anakin kills darth maul, the bad ass, unstopable villian throughout all three films; which makes him like the power
-keep the 'you were the chosen one' monologue spoken by obi wan

Rampant ox
Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.

-replace dooku with maul (because lets face it dooku is oh so lame)

YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!! jawdrop

Xam
i woulda loved to keep maul instead of dooku...lee is a good actor but maul was a greater character!face it!

Rampant ox
There are far better words to describe Christopher Lee's acting than just good. Superb, brilliant and almighty all come to mind. big grin

Anyways how can you choose friggin Maul over our beloved Count. This is the same Maul who says about 10 seconds of dialogue, has disgusting teeth, no charisma/personality and failed to complete the simple task of capturing the queen. Compare this to the almighty Count who has more charisma, class and personality than you can poke a stick at, started the Clone Wars, collapsed an entire roof and has a cape. The clear winner is Dooku.

Although my opinion may be slightly biased... stick out tongue

pr1983
I'd have preferred to have Maul as Dooku's apprentice...

Dooku was a more interesting bad guy to me... Maul just had painted skin and a fancy weapon...

Akira99
I reckon Maul's appearance in saga was nothing short of perfect. He had a few lines, a killer personality and agenda and died after an epic duel and I cannot imagine him in ep 2. Christopher lee played his character extremely well. He had the perfect personality to carry out the plot of ep 2 - leading war etc.
If I could change PT:
TPM:
- Replace Jar Jar with someone who is funny yet not spazzy and a royal pain in the ass.
- Make the battle droids less cheesy - oh oh -
- Theres a limit to how much I can critisise Jake Llyod as its hard for any child to play a part perfectly but he wa annoying as hell - his lines could do with a brush up. In fact just kae him older to make it less dodgy and for room for a better actor
- Viceroy Gunray and his ugly friend were OK only the Chinese accents were not really suited to them.
- Instead of all this save the queen and gungan city s**t have it so Ani has already been found and it starts with him being tested
- For GOD's sake when the epic Maul duel happens just get rid of those bloody scenes in between - I don't want to see gobsmacked little Ani trying a spinning trick and Jar Jar stomping on a droid and saying "Meesa no have a bommer!"

AOTC:
Reaplce Hayden with someone who can act and doesn't look so perfect - like the perfect teeth and hollywood appearance. Its so unrealistic when his son is an average looking Mark Hamill. I know Lucas wanted him to be a total whining teenager and a total wuss when it comes to beautiful woman but I BEG TO DIFFER! I'll make it so that this Ani is far more mature and seems like nothing could break him yet we can still sense his deep resentment of being held-back etc.
- When it comes to love relationship something even slightly similar to Solo and Leia would be good. Cuz that method seems to wrok better in real life as a pose to Ani being a foot-kissing doormat to Padme . AOTC has if anything been a bad influence on men.
- Make the jedi more powerful - that Arena scene with all those jedi was great but it made the jedi so weak
- Make Kenobi and Ani more like brothers than slapstick buddies - something that can be further expanded in Ep3. Han Solo and Luke's relationship is vaguely what I'm talking about
- Get to the point quicker - maybe have the Clone Wars start earlier
- Have Asajj Ventress in it as well to increase the lightsaber action it could be a link to ROTJ - a battle in the forest - I think it could really work- maybe have Kit Fisto dueling too so we can relate to him dying at Palp's hands in ep 3

ROTS:
- First of all the opening scenes were good overall plotwise but those droids NEED to go - they are even worse than in last films. Is this like some super attempt to make it as childfriendly as possible - even giving Droidekas dumb voices!
- More screen time for Dooku definetly
- I'd have the babies born earlier and I would'nt have Palps being so nice to Ani - I'd make him ensnare him earlier and become more and more crueler as film goes on
- I'd make General Grievous less spazzy and stupid - I'd make him exactly like Clone Wars - scary voice not dumb voice - and much tougher.
- Make Kenobi and Ani's relationship even stronger - like brothers. I mena can you imagine Han Solo and Luke argueing to point of death - it would be truly painful
- Make Ani more frightening and unpredictable - it is clear from early on in film that Padme and him are having trouble - not any of this romantic tittle tattle we see in ROTS. Though still have some romance yeh
- Make it more believable Palps going from classy elegant chancellor to the cloaked monster we see in ROTJ. That means we see Palps more cruel when he is not got his faced messed up. And make his lightsaber duels faster - when he kills 3 jedi - make it faster than the eye can see! And make Yoda versus Palps longer! Oh and while were at it remove that pathetic giggling during the Palps/Yoda confrontation and battle of wills
In final Ani Kenobi duel remove those stupid fly by droids that take attention off battle

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by Xam
i woulda loved to keep maul instead of dooku...lee is a good actor but maul was a greater character!face it!

Preach,friend, preach!

Sith Master X
I liked Dooku alot better than Maul to be honest. He had more character. Christopher Lee is an astonishing actor. Ray Park is a martial arts guy. His fighting may be superb, but it just wouldn't be right for me to take him over Lee.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I liked Dooku alot better than Maul to be honest. He had more character. Christopher Lee is an astonishing actor. Ray Park is a martial arts guy. His fighting may be superb, but it just wouldn't be right for me to take him over Lee.

Amen. rock

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by smoker4
Jar Jar Binks is killed off screen at the start of TPM

More like, Jar Jar Binks never even seen on screen.

But to be fair, if we all edited it the way we wanted there would probably only be a 30 minute movie left for the entire OT. laughing out loud

DeVi| D0do
^ I sure hope that was a typo... erm

Darth Kreiger
Despite how cool Maul is, his character does not need to live for more than 1 Movie, he was just supposed to mark the beginning of the sith conquest.

What I will do

-Changes the writing of all 3 films, so it isn't a bunch of crap

Episode 1-
-Jar-Jar is in the movie, but not obnoxious and stupid as hell
-No little Anakin, his lines suck
-More battle scenes, more Jedi, Maul kills more people
Episode 2-
-Completely re-done
-No Yoda fight scene
-Count Dooku gets much more coolness, like he did in ROTS before his whimpering death
-Jango Fett does not exist, the Clones are of someone else, Boba Fett's character lives untouched by Lucas
-No crap dialogue
-Anakin isn't a little bas****
Episode 3-
-Better Dialogue
-Dooku lasts somewhat longer, doesn't die stupidly
-Grievous gets a cooler seen
-Less CGI, more plot

Barker
There are far better words to describe Christopher Lee's acting than just good. Superb, brilliant and almighty all come to mind. big grin

Anyways how can you choose friggin Maul over our beloved Count. This is the same Maul who says about 10 seconds of dialogue, has disgusting teeth, no charisma/personality and failed to complete the simple task of capturing the queen. Compare this to the almighty Count who has more charisma, class and personality than you can poke a stick at, started the Clone Wars, collapsed an entire roof and has a cape. The clear winner is Dooku.

Although my opinion may be slightly biased... stick out tongue
Pretend you don't know anything about SW. Do you believe for a second that an Old Man could kick the ass of somone who is so obviously young?

Most people don't buy into that, even if they know about Dooku and Maul.

Council#13
1. The Geonosis battle would have been longer
2. In ROTS, show a lot more Jedi being killed
3. Yoda and Sidious battle a lot longer (with lightsabers)
4. The Jedi with Mace put up a better fight
5. Jar Jar Binks never shows up in AOTC or ROTS. Possibly killed by droids
6. Attack on Jedi Temple shown in detail
7. Anakin gets angry and slices Padme open in his rage, to find that the babies pop out of the cut. Obi-Wan fights to defend them, and eventually wins.
8. Give Plo Koon, Aayla Secura, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, Saesee Tiin, or the rest of any other characters that kept on popping up lines. It's boring just looking at them!!!!
9. Less love scenes with Anakin and Padme. What a bore
10. Grievous should have fought better.

I could go on for a few more, but I'm bored

.:Space Opera:.
Anyways how can you choose friggin Maul over our beloved Count. This is the same Maul who says about 10 seconds of dialogue...,

its the same reason boba fett is so cool, because of the mystery. its one of those characters that couldve evolved throughout the story. he couldve turned into such an in-depth character.

..., started the Clone Wars, collapsed an entire roof and has a cape. The clear winner is Dooku.

actually jar jar binks started the clone wars technically :P

kamikz
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

Yes, I certainley do to.... confused

Akira99
Good lists! Keep them coming!

PVS
it would have been cool if eps 1 and 2 had dooku as the supposed master and maul as just some thug that the sith just trained and used, same as grevous.
it would have preserved if not broadened the mistery of palpatine, as we would clearly see a supposed master and apprentice.

face it, as cool a warrior as maul was, he did not fit the bill to be a sith. all he really seemed to be was a mindless hitman.

chinabing
Originally posted by Akira99
Good lists! Keep them coming!
roll eyes (sarcastic)

JediRobin23

And digitally make them bigger while they're at it...

Jedi Priestess

EEEEP! Yes it was, I meant the PT. embarrasment

Sith Master X
I wouldn't change anything to be honest....I appreciate movies.

Council#13

Not just Natalie shifty

But to be serious... she didn't look so healthy during ROTS. I mean, c'mon. She's supposed to look attractive, not like some scrawny frizzled haired freak. If I wanted to see that, I would send 50 volts into Nicole Richie.

exanda kane
I think the PT was pushed to its maxim by Lucas, I think he done the best he could with the material he had.

However to make the PT worth watching, I think I'd rather start from scratch.

SpaceMonkey
I'd make a completely different feeling trilogy by adding Count Dooku to Episode 1. I think if there would have been interaction between Qui-Gon and Dooku in Episode 1 and having them discuss "a change" that needed to be made because of the changing times and the Jedi becoming obselete or something it would have added to the whole underlying aspect of the Jedi being an old religion. It would have also made the characters of Qui-Gon and Dooku much deeper and it would make Episode 2 make more sense for people.

Example:
Episode 1-

When Qui-Gon learns of Anakin's potential he contacts Dooku on Coruscant, risking being discovered by sending a transmission outside the planet thereby tipping off Darth Maul, telling him he "might have found an answer" to their problems. That would add more tragedy to Anakin, making him nothing more than a servant to everyone, except Padme.

On Coruscant I would show a scene where Qui-Gon meets with Dooku to discuss their plans and they mention how they need to have Anakin trained so he could continue where they leave off since they are getting old. (They're trying to start a different Jedi order, Dooku has felt the presence of the Sith and feel the Jedi are helpless because of their "old ways"wink When Qui-Gon is killed Dooku then decides a drastic measure is needed and we don't find out until Episode 2 that he has joined Darth Sidious but has become corrupted by getting too close. So at first when he's trying to convince Obi-Wan we feel he might be genuine in his thoughts, we later find out he has pretty much lost it.

Oh!!, and get rid of Jar Jar!!

EPIIIBITES
I would've definitely added a lot of stuff from Clone Wars into the end of EPII and just before EPIII.

I finally decided to buy Clone Wars I & II on DVD...had seen only some of the episodes here and there...wow! It's like another movie.

I've seen a lot of people in the forums say it was crap...I don't get it...it's sooo quality.

It's effective because SW is basically a comic book come to life...and this was a comic book in motion...great stuff...hats off to the guys at CN.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

I've seen a lot of people in the forums say it was crap...I don't get it...it's sooo quality.

It's effective because SW is basically a comic book come to life...

Thats cause it is crap IMHO and SW is NOT a comic book come to life. The movie came long before the comic thank god.

Tangible God
I would have rewritten a good deal of the dialogue, for starters.

1.) Eliminate Jar Jar from the movies all together. (We get enough pandering to the inner-child with the Ewoks.)

2.) Show Dooku on the Jedi Council in TPM, give him some Ki-Adi Mundiesque lines. Reveal later that he trained Maul and Grievous, but not as a Sith. Of course, some more time in ROTS as well. This should more mystery to the Sith.

3.) Make it so that Qui-Gon doesn't look like he's trying get over his kidney stones, show some more facial expressions. And not so much a monotone voice.

4.) Yoda doesn't fight 'til ROTS.

5.) Both Anakin and Padme's characters need serious revising. Their age, actors, relationship, the whole shi-bang. Anakin will be more mature, Padme will wear less revealing clothes (AOTC.) Anakin will be a tough nut to crack when it comes to his fall, not the pushover doormat we love so much. Padme will not die from "losing the will to live."

6.) The camera does NOT pan to Palpatine at the end of TPM. Palaptine will also refrain from giggling at his Kermit-like adversary in ROTS. Said Kermit will also not be jumping around everywhere like he has ADD.

7.) The Clone Wars will start at the end of TPM. And I like the idea of Jango not existing, leaving Boba untouched by Lucas.

8.) The Temple slaughter will be in greater detail. Mace's Posse will last longer and die cooler. Mace will die the same way, but this time his body is in some way or another, incinerated so no chances of him returning from the dead in comics or such stuff. Same goes for Maul.

9.) The battle droids will STFU.

10.) Anakin and Obi's relationship will be less like "pissant student and irritated teacher" and more like "you were my" brother(s).

SnakeEyes
Random Things:

-Have the Anakin/Padme love story be done with by the end of Episode One. Introduce Anakin as a Padawan learner in Episode One, being trained by Obi-Wan Kenobi and make it so their bond is already very strong.

-Take out Dooku and GG completely.

-Have Maul be the reoccurring villain Give him more depth and a backstory.

-Have Padme get pregnant in Episode 2 and give birth by the end of the movie.

-Show much, much more of the Clone Wars in Episode 2. Have Anakin be away at war while Padme gives birth to the twins.

-Show much more of the Purge as well.

-Have the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel end in a different way. No "I have the high ground" BS.

-Have Yoda vs. Sidious be the most epic duel of the trilogy, but have Anakin vs. Obi-Wan be the most emotional.

-Build up the bond between Obi-Wan/Anakin throughout each film so that you truly feel bad for each character when their duel comes.

-More Darth Vader (in the suit)

-No Jar Jar whatsoever.

That's all for now. I might add more later. Let me know what you guys think.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

-Take out Dooku and GG completely.

-Have Maul be the reoccurring villain Give him more depth and a backstory.

You've got to be kidding!! Personally I think the exact opposite should happen. Take out Maul and have Dooku as the main villan. Maul was an ok character but he was just there to look cool. He didnt do much for the storyline and he has literally about 10 seconds of dialogue. I cant imagine him being a prominent villan, leading the CIS etc.

Darth Kreiger
Dooku couldn't last that long either, he was cool, but not enough Badass villain, not evil enough, I was expecting better Sith (more like the Ancient Ones from the KoToR series) when the Prequels came out

Velkyn
Assuming the whole birth happened earlier in EP2 instead of the end of EP3....

-Show at least a teaser at or near the end of EP3 with a young Han Solo. Have him have an eary run in with Jabba, and shortly thereafter, Boba Fett. I just feel Solo was too central in IV - VI to have been avoided completely in the prequel.

Akira99
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
-Have the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel end in a different way. No "I have the high ground" BS.
Yeah I would agree with that. I found that high ground bit to be very weak and took me ages to figure it out. When I did figure it out I thought it was very dumb

overlord
I'd keep Jar Jar in of course, he'd get blown to pieces in the first movie though and clone wars would occur immediately. Showing more of the jedi council and more goddamn war just as I expected of the PT.

The PT would have been the darker period of the saga. So far I've only seen a kids movie, a romantic movie and what would have been the actual atmosphere of the saga only until the last movie.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Velkyn
-Show at least a teaser at or near the end of EP3 with a young Han Solo. Have him have an eary run in with Jabba, and shortly thereafter, Boba Fett. I just feel Solo was too central in IV - VI to have been avoided completely in the prequel.

No.... bash

Velkyn
Well your opinions are yours and you are entitled to them. Just thinkof it this way his sarcasm was the comic relief, if you will, of te original trilogy. And for the prequel, we got Jar Jar. Han Solo > Jar Jar... Thank you, goodnight :P

chinabing
Originally posted by Tangible God
(We get enough pandering to the inner-child with the Ewoks.)

Star Wars isn't for inner children, it's for outer children.

Tangible God
You have no sense of humour do you?

JediRobin23
this is not starwars related, but can anyone explain this one?

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/3123.html

Tangible God
The Ghost Car? Either a hoax or an optical illusion.

chinabing
You have no sense of humour do you? I thought my line was funny, no? Guess I need some new material.

MattLeatherface
They should make an episode before episode 1, that introduces the Jedi Council members and stuff like that.

Escape81
Episode I:

- No Jar-Jar Binks.
- No cutting the Darth Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan fight.

Episode II:

- More Count Dooku/Darth Sidious interaction, perhaps via hologram.
- More Nute Gunray scenes (I like Gunray... ).
- More Yoda/Mace/Palpatine interaction (those three way scenes are cool).

- Have Jango Fett kill more than Coleman Trebor.
- Don't kill Jango Fett (have Jango Fett become a P.O.W in the 'rise of the Empire' era or killed off at Mustafar).
- Have Anakin being blasted into a wall, and then Dooku disable Obi-Wan. Anakin then battles Count Dooku, making it a tough fight (thus accentuating his power and potential - the movies didn't do that good of a job) - before Dooku outmaneuvers him and amputates his arm.
- No Yoda vs. Dooku. Replace it with Count Dooku vs. Mace Windu - a confrontation between two former friends and companions - with ultimately Dooku fleeing.

Episode III:

- A final dogfight with Obi-Wan vs. Jango Fett - with ultimately Fett dying.
- Anakin and Obi-Wan board the Invisible Hand, and are confronted by General Grievous and Count Dooku. Both fights are almost evenly matched, until Grievous and Dooku manage to escape - leaving Obi-Wan and Anakin to die.
- No gay love-lines between Padme and Anakin.
- Send in Obi-Wan and a team of Jedi to kill Grievous. Make it a good fight - with Obi-Wan and Grievous dueling epically before Grievous is killed.
- Palpatine's exposure much more believable.
- Anakin and Mace are assigned to arrest the Chancellor, as a test by the Jedi to cement his place with them - and Mace goes to watch over the boy. Send in ten trained Jedi Knights. Have Sidious disable - but not kill - Windu and have him slaughter the others.
- Anakin is seduced by Palpatine in a more believable manner (make the decision difficult) and have him execute Windu for his initation.
- Palpatine activates Order 66 - and sends Anakin and the 501st to kill the Jedi at the Temple.
- Palpatine then sends Anakin to Mustafar with a contingent of Stormtroopers to kill the remaining CIS leaders. Have a small mini-duel between Anakin and Dooku - with ultimately Dooku being beheaded or cast into lava.
- Anakin vs. Obi-Wan has a lot more of Anakin's dominance, and Obi-Wan relying on his defenses and the environment to hold his own.
- Yoda vs. Sidious - with it accentuated that these two are Force gods. A small lightsaber fight ontop of the podium, with ultimately Yoda disarming Sidious - but being blasted over the edge by Force lightning. Dozens upon dozens of pods should be lifted, with Sidious chucking them all at Yoda - who skillfully (and Matrix-like) dodges them. He then tackles Sidious, flips over him, and prepares to deliver the final blow - before being blasted into a wall, his lightsaber destroyed, and blown right out of the Rotunda.
- Anakin falls into lava due to stupid charge. Obi-Wan is breathless, tired, and thoroughly exhausted and bloody - showing that he is the inferior of the two in skill.
- Play out.

Rampant ox
I agree with everything you just posted. Although I would introduce Dooku in TPM. Have him as the dominant villan throughout the PT (although still being told what to do by Sids).
I like the idea of Mace vs Dooku in AOTC. Have it with the roof falling down, blaster fire from clones etc etc. Make it look spectacular.
And finally have Dooku killed by Anakin in the end of ROTS like you said, to take his rightful place as apprentice. And no flimsy, 2 minute piece of sh*t either (which is what we got). Have a climactic battle, on a slightly lower level than Sids vs Yoda. But I would still have Dooku beheaded. That scene may be my least fav out of all of them but, the acting there is superb. Two thumbs up to Christopher Lee.

SpaceMonkey
I agree with everything you just posted. Although I would introduce Dooku in TPM. Have him as the dominant villan throughout the PT (although still being told what to do by Sids).
I like the idea of Mace vs Dooku in AOTC. Have it with the roof falling down, blaster fire from clones etc etc. Make it look spectacular.
And finally have Dooku killed by Anakin in the end of ROTS like you said, to take his rightful place as apprentice. And no flimsy, 2 minute piece of sh*t either (which is what we got). Have a climactic battle, on a slightly lower level than Sids vs Yoda. But I would still have Dooku beheaded. That scene may be my least fav out of all of them but, the acting there is superb. Two thumbs up to Christopher Lee.

Kinda like what I said in my post, Rampant? Giving Dooku some time in TPM to discuss plans with Qui-Gon will give his character some more depth.

Escape81
Absolutely not.

The dominant villain of the PT - and the OT for that matter - is Emperor Palpatine. George Lucas originally intended for that to be so, and has addressed that he is "the ultimate villain" and the ultimate evil" in Star Wars.

Count Dooku was, would, and should be perceived as nothing but a lackey . That'd be like making Mystique the dominant X-Men villain instead of Magneto. Makes no sense and would be completely stupid.

This, I could agree with. It would be a pure stalemate though. No Dooku dominance, at all. No Mace dominance. For every move Dooku would land, Mace would nail one too.

Yup.

No. Dooku's not a main character.

They're fight should logically be a tier below.

Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Yoda take that spot. Supporting roles include: Mace Windu, Count Dooku, General Grievous, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Nute Gunray.

Maybe.

queeq
How about reshooting instead of re-editing.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Kinda like what I said in my post, Rampant? Giving Dooku some time in TPM to discuss plans with Qui-Gon will give his character some more depth.

Yup, pretty much. yes

Originally posted by Escape81 Absolutely not.

The dominant villain of the PT - and the OT for that matter - is Emperor Palpatine. George Lucas originally intended for that to be so, and has addressed that he is "the ultimate villain" and the ultimate evil" in Star Wars.

The dominant villan is and should always be Darth Sidious. What I meant was (sorry you misenterpreted) that Dooku should be the face of villany. Make it clear that he is taking orders from Sids etc, and make Sids look more evil, but just have Dooku as the person the galaxy fears. Whenever they hear the word evil they think Dooku - not Sids. Sids should be shown in the background pulling the strings, much like he was in TPM and AOTC.

I agree. Make sure that it is esatblished that there is someone higher up than Dooku, but just have Dooku as more of the face of villany. Just like Vader was for the OT. Everyone feared Vader but in the end it was Sids making all the decisions. And you cant really compare Sids and Magneto. I think they are both great characters but Magneto is a more out there person who makes sure he is known to everyone. Sids just sits back and pulls strings while his lackeys do the work.

I agree. And make sure it is a stalemate, showing clearly to the the audience that one side of the force is not stronger than the other. Having Dooku only retreat when a battalion of jedi arrive and ignite their sabers for example.

I agree. Although I would put Mace and Dooku above the other 4. The others were more supporting characters for the supporting characters if you know what I mean. Either way I think that both Mace and dooku should have got more screen time. i was gutted with the Counts pathetic 2 minute performance. Shame on you GL!!

DeVi| D0do
I think some of you are grossly over estimating the job of an editor...

Escape81

I know. I made my corrections as if I had Lucas's job. stick out tongue

queeq

I think you underestimate it.

DeVi| D0do
Yeah, you're probably right... I'm sure a talented editor could creatively cut Episode I so that Anakin appears ten years older. erm

queeq
Hehehehehe...

That's why I asked earlier... how about reshooting.

But then again... ILM can actually make Anakin look 10 years younger, I'm sure.

chinabing
I kinda like it that Anakin's a kid in Ep 1.

Star Wars is and has always been about the hero's journey. Anakin's a good kid, in fact he only furrows his brow I think twice in all of Ep. 1, (once at Sebulba, and later at Yoda!)

Lucas's point was how this sweet innocent boy turns into Darth Vader. I don't mind that he fell for Natalie Portman, she had so many movies where men... way older men, fell for her!

But more importantly, it's Lucas' appeal that young people can do great things. They can be heroes. They can make good choices, and they can make bad ones, which can have awful consequences. When young people see young people on screen doing heroic deeds, it can give them an attitude that they can do it too.

The kids I saw Episode 1 with loved it that the kid could do so much. Fix a racer. Win a pod race. Pilot a fighter into space battle. What a dream for a kid! They loved it.

Alliance
I don't mind that Anakin was a kid. I just wish he would of accompplished things through skill and intelligence as opposed to "oH. WhAt doeS THIS butTON dO?!?" *every droid explodes*.

EPIIIBITES
Dido on the last 2 posts...Ep. I had to be the way it was...It's the beginning of Star Wars, and the beginning of the main character...

There needed to be a whole film on Anakin when he was young so we would know the child, and eventually understand and sympathise with the person behind the mask...too bad it was just kinda boring.

Alliance
More effort on the Clone Wars could be helpful in that respect too...war changes people and Lucas could make that a MAJOR motivation for the decay of many of the characters between (even before) 2 and 3.

queeq
I would have liked to have seen the nicer sides of Anakin as an adult. Just to understand why Padme would fall in love with the guy or why OB1 would look back lovingly in ANH saying "... and he was a good friend." I saw too little of that, seems like no one ever liked the guy. So why would we?

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by queeq
I would have liked to have seen the nicer sides of Anakin as an adult. Just to understand why Padme would fall in love with the guy or why OB1 would look back lovingly in ANH saying "... and he was a good friend." I saw too little of that, seems like no one ever liked the guy. So why would we?

I hated Anakin throughout the whole PT, with his Vader "Transformation" he wasn't a badass, he was a Whimpy Bastard, where did OT Vader come from? Definately not that man

queeq
HE had 20 years to mature. LOL

Alliance
not really. I consider ROTJ and ANH his immature period. There are a lot of similarities...namely stupid humor surronding retarded species accedentally blowing up things much bigger than they should ever be capable of. And they end in parties....i mean...wtf?

queeq
I was talking about Anakin, not Lucas. laughing out loud

Alliance
ah...welll if Lucas doesn't mature...how can we expect Anikan to?

queeq
Good point.

beedubaya
AOTC should become episode I, with the events of TPM summarized in the opening crawl. A whole new movie should be shot during the events of the clone wars and should be used as Episode II. Episode 3 should remain how it is, except the battle between Yoda and Sidious should have been force only.

queeq
ROTS should be Episode I, II and III.

Alliance
ROTS should be Episode I, II and III.

Oh hell no.

queeq
But then with a better story and some decent Clone Wars

Kraken
I'll make yoda animated and make jar jar get killed at the beginning also.

queeq
Good

Alliance
But then with a better story and some decent Clone Wars

maybe.

I have a feeling that when TPM comes out on 3D next year...we're going ot see edits...including an animated Yoda.

DeVi| D0do
They've already done an animated Yoda for TPM, if I'm not mistaken... They just haven't rereleased the movie yet.

Alliance
I believe thats correct

EPIIIBITES
Ummmm...yeah. Haven't you seen this?

DeVi| D0do
Yeah, maybe now I wont get nightmares whenever I watch TPM...

EPIIIBITES
"Loooook into my eyes..."

EPIIIBITES
Just thought of something...

...opening up photoshop...

EPIIIBITES
Here we go...

Alliance
Yeah, maybe now I wont get nightmares whenever I watch TPM...

thumb up

queeq
Okay... won't improve the film much, but okay.

Alliance
Its a step in the right direction.

queeq
Hardly.... ever seen the Phantom Edit? ... now THAT is an improvement.

Alliance
There is a Phantom Edit?

queeq
Oh yes... it came out shortly after TPM.

They cut out most Jar-Jar scenes, plus all the "oopss"-es and "that's not good" and made Anakin quite a selfassured kid who actually KNOWS how to fly. In short, it cut out the worst bits... and it suddenly became quite a watchable film.

Alliance
Honestly, I can ignore Jar Jar...Anakin lack of skill and self assurance was the main flaw imo.

queeq
Which was taken out. But ignoring bits doesn't make the movie go quicker, it does when you cut it out. It's about 20 minutes or so shorter. It's an illegal fan edit of course.

Alliance
laughing Of all the trilogy, that movie needs the most work. Its unfortunate that it can't be changed that much.

queeq
The Phantom Edit was made at the time using the VHS copy, the original theatrical. It shows it can without much trouble, all the cuts were vry nice, even the audio transitions were pretty good.

Alliance
Cool. Now lucas needs to follow suit.

queeq
The guy who made it even SENT it to Lucas, just to show what an alternative cut could have been. He didn't sell it or anything, just a fan thing.

Alliance
Good for him.

cut the Jar Jar antics.
REALLY cut the Anakin antics.
Add in some more "Anakin is an intelligent, skilled, boy" clips.

thumb up

queeq
INterestingly enough, he just took out a lot of the oopses and Anakin BECAME an intelligent, skilled boy. He cut all the button pushing in the Naboo fighter, without all the oopses and the that's-not-it and it looked like a boy who knew what he was doing. No mistakes in looking for firing buttons to shoot droideka's... no he AIMED at the droideka's. Was pretty good.

Alliance
Yeah. Its be easy to att some more digital combat with the space battle. Make him do things besides just flying around.

queeq
As I said: the Phantom Edit MADE him a pilot. Even the accidental spinning is no accident anymore if you take out the "Let's try spinning, that's a good trick". *shudders*

Alliance
He still never SHOOTS anythign except for a randomly placed main reactor...which I would place in the middle of a hangar where it could easily be damged by my own dumb droid ships flying into it.

Tangible God
Goddamn TPM sucked.

queeq
Yeah...

DeVi| D0do
TPM is the best of the prequels though...

queeq
Errm.. no... ROTS is.

Rampant ox
Actually AOTC is...

queeq
Errm... no.

Rampant ox
Its all about the Count my friend. TPM doesnt even mention him so thats out and ROTS gives him a pathetic 5 minutes (however a fairly nice duel) and then kills him off. Its an insult and greatly lessens my view of the movie. That leaves AOTC where he is shown pwning with the force, pwning with a sword, pwning with his army, leaving the audience in awe with his charimatic and elegant attitude and generally being the most interesting part of the movie (and entire saga). that is why AOTC is the best.

overlord
Only because some old guy is in it who you have a crush on.. Wow, talk about stupidity.

queeq
I agree... Lee was great but he couldn't save the movie.

Alliance
Jango and the clones made that movie.

queeq
Bits of the movie.

Alliance
BIG bits.

queeq
Hmmm.. no, loud bits.

pr1983
For me Dooku was severely underused in the PT... he deserved better than what he got imo...

and he should have been in TPM...

clones were cool...

and jango LOSING his head made that movie... stick out tongue

queeq
I agree about Dooku... he deserved way more screen time,

Alliance
He atlest needed background to show the manipulation that was going on.

He should have been shown as a Jedi in TPM, sewing the seeds of the CIS.

queeq
I always felt that AOTC should have opened with Dooku arriving on Geonosis to check up on the Separatist army to prepare for a major take-over with all these great econimical powers of the universe: techno union, trade federation, banking guild etc... That way we could at leats have gotten some incling what was going on with that weird assasination attempt and it would have overshadowed the whole vague AOTC narrative. Also it would have driven the whole film towards the confrontation with this bad guy. Just like TPM had, and especially all the OT had.

Alliance
I like the shock and awe opening as it is, but we should've seen Dooku immediately after (or after the meeting in Palpatines office).

I still think a passing role in TPM would have been advantageuos. Intoducing Anakin to Dooku at the temple, Qui-Gon and Dooku have a short private converstation about the state of the republic...

MUCH better.

pr1983
anything that would have given him more screen time would have been ok with me...

queeq
The shock? Of that lame explosion? Well, I dunno... even TPM had a better opening than that. Must be the worst of the saga...

EPIIIBITES
The opening for Clones was gorgeous!! It was Lucas and his team saying..."We gotta grab people's attention with a kick-ass shot...Look what we can do!"

And you call that lame?...that's hilarious.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing watching that royal starship land (along with the sound)...and that explosion...lame????

I'm guessing you don't know a lot about effects... (you do realize that stuff isn't really there right??? That it came out of nothing...from computer software...and now it actually looks real...). That 2 or so minutes is a huge accomplishment my friend.

DeVi| D0do
I don't watch movies to see their technical accomplishments, I watch them for their story and characters, both of which completely sucked in AOTC..

Tangible God
I don't watch movies to see their technical accomplishments, I watch them for their story and characters, both of which completely sucked in AOTC.. Hear hear!

EPIIIBITES
I don't watch movies to see their technical accomplishments, I watch them for their story and characters

Then why do you like Star Wars? stick out tongue

EPIIIBITES
I don't watch movies to see their technical accomplishments, I watch them for their story and characters, both of which completely sucked in AOTC..

Oh, that's a such an idealistic stance...and at the core of it I think it just isn't true...look at movies like Ong-Bak, or Jackass, or Transporter II, or Distric B13.

Every moviegoer has guilty pleasures...at its WORST, some people just watch movies because a certain good looking or popular actor/actress is in it...(which is something I cannot comprehend, but boy it happens a lot...especially in the US/Hollywood)...and the films are marketed for just that.

Don't think for a second that half the movies that are made (and get a studio willing to back it) actually try to have a good story/ characters...they target a certain niche they know the film will try to find success in...Be it a horror audience, a comic book audience, a teen/popstar audience etc...and at the end of the day, that's totally fine with me, because now I have cool movies like Ong-Bak/Jackass/Transporter II/Distric B13, which just give you the goods and don't try to be these great character/plot driven films.

When it comes to story/characters Star Wars is crap dude...didn't you notice that seven years ago??? It's the butt of all jokes!!! Are you kidding me?

And that's why I like AOTC...the story/characters are so crap, you can completely write them off and just enjoy what's on the screen...a really high budget cartoon.

...and BTW, your quote doesn't counter anything I said about the effects shot at the beginning, or even support what the other dude said about it being lame...so I really don't understand why you posted it. confused

I'm such a hard-ass...forgive me! big grin

pr1983
The shock? Of that lame explosion? Well, I dunno... even TPM had a better opening than that. Must be the worst of the saga...

I'd tend to agree...

yes

aotc clones' opening was just cgi... the opening to anh was just as exciting if not more so... and provided plenty of eye candy...

and it was done with models, not a bit of cgi... stick out tongue

star wars is about eye candy as much as it is a great story and wonderful characters...

it has a reputation (well, the ot did anyway) to uphold... aotc did nothing to help that reputation...

and transporter 2 sucked... stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
...and BTW, your quote doesn't counter anything I said about the effects shot at the beginning, or even support what the other dude said about it being lame...so I really don't understand why you posted it. confused You argued, in response to the opening shot of AOTC being lame, that it was a huge accomplishment. I was merely saying that that doesn't have anything to do with it (in my opinion).

Oh, that's a such an idealistic stance...and at the core of it I think it just isn't true...look at movies like Ong-Bak, or Jackass, or Transporter II, or Distric B13.

Every moviegoer has guilty pleasures...at its WORST, some people just watch movies because a certain good looking or popular actor/actress is in it...(which is something I cannot comprehend, but boy it happens a lot...especially in the US/Hollywood)...and the films are marketed for just that.Of course... I just have no guilty pleasures that are based on a film's technical worth. I'll watch a movie for an actor, for a director, for an action sequence... but a film's technical integrity is something completely different. I saw Ong Bak because I thought the action sequences looked cool. Not because I thought the effort that would have gone into making them was amazing, or because I thought it would be technically brilliant.

Don't think for a second that half the movies that are made (and get a studio willing to back it) actually try to have a good story/ characters...they target a certain niche they know the film will try to find success in...Be it a horror audience, a comic book audience, a teen/popstar audience etc...Who's arguing against that? Hence the reason half the movies that are made are rubbish... At any rate, that's not even my point. I love a good genre movie. But you never get a film that strives only to be technically good (not a film that's any good anyway)... that's absurd.

and at the end of the day, that's totally fine with me, because now I have cool movies like Ong-Bak/Jackass/Transporter II/Distric B13, which just give you the goods and don't try to be these great character/plot driven films.I agree. Although District B13 was very bleh.

When it comes to story/characters Star Wars is crap dude...didn't you notice that seven years ago??? It's the butt of all jokes!!! Are you kidding me? No, and no.

And that's why I like AOTC...the story/characters are so crap, you can completely write them off and just enjoy what's on the screen...a really high budget cartoon.Precisely the reason I hate it.

But yeah, you're right... I don't just see movies for their story or characters. I've contradicted myself on that point probably a half dozen times in this post alone. That is an idealistic thing to say... Movies can be great purely by disregarding both of those (Snakes on a Plane). These just aren't those types of movies. And in that regard, with respect to the OT (an even the other PT films), AOTC was an atrocity.

queeq
A mive with some decent character development and story just makes it last more. I like effects, I like how they bring you into another world, but that world only matters if you get hooked by a story.

I kinda like EPIIIBITES's look on the PT: crappy story, great cartoons. I might adopt that attitude the next time I watch AOTC.... then I can just sit down and enjoy it.

EPIIIBITES
Good points DeVi| D0do...I just pounced on Queeq simply 'cause he said that explosion was lame...i've seen lame explosions in movies...that one ain't one!

Personally though, I know when I check out The Day After Tomorrow, or Alien vs. Predator, or the Final Fantasy movies, or Eight Legged Creeps, I'm not expecting good characters/story... because the filmakers aren't expecting people to come see that in their films, and they don't put a lot of work into it. The price of admission is so that you can turn your brain off and just see cool stuff.

And it's funny how Lucas and co. actually TRY to have good characters/story and fail so miserably...

...and dude, Star Wars IS the butt of all jokes, and if you or any others here don't realizse that then you better surround yourself with new friends, make new contacts, whatever...

...I hope nobody here for a second mistakes the PTs immense popularity as being a result of it's accomplishments as films!

Tangible God
I'd watch movies I know I had bad characters and story if I knew the humour, graphics and wutever else was gonna make up for it, ala Jackass or Day After Tomorrow. AOTC was a bit of a letdown that way.

DeVi| D0do
Personally though, I know when I check out The Day After Tomorrow, or Alien vs. Predator, or the Final Fantasy movies, or Eight Legged Creeps, I'm not expecting good characters/story... because the filmakers aren't expecting people to come see that in their films, and they don't put a lot of work into it. The price of admission is so that you can turn your brain off and just see cool stuff.Yeah and I love movies like that (except not even the VFX in Day After Tomorrow could save that movie - Twister had more realistic FX), but Star Wars movies shouldn't be those kinds of movies... the Original Trilogy films weren't. And even (to a lesser extent) the other Prequel films weren't. AOTC just has NOTHING going for it in the story department. I wish I could just see the movie as mindless entertainment, but every time I watch it I'm reminded of how redundant it is and how it should have been so much better...

...and dude, Star Wars IS the butt of all jokes, and if you or any others here don't realizse that then you better surround yourself with new friends, make new contacts, whatever... Well, if you're talking about the PT, then yeah I'd totally agree with you... it is a joke. But the OT is not. The movies are respected as classics even by non-geeks... at least in my experience. This is just speaking about the movies, however... if we're talking about the Star Wars fandom, expanded universe, and the geeks arguing on internet forums, then yeah... it's a joke.

...I hope nobody here for a second mistakes the PTs immense popularity as being a result of it's accomplishments as films! Oh hell no. You can thank the good old fanboys for that...

Darth Callous
-Find a hotter actress than Natalie

-Find a less gayer actor than Hayden

-Prolong the arrest scene in ROTS (ie: make Agen and Saesee look better)

-Anakin did NOT make Threepio

-Eliminate all of Lucas' bs retcon such as what I mentioned above as well as Boba being a clone as and the rest of the army coming from his dna.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by Darth Callous
-Find a hotter actress than Natalie

Yeah, Natalie's a beast!

DUDE! In terms of finding quality of acting combined w/ hotness, Natalie Portman is BY FAR at the top of the Hollywood A list...What planet...no, what galaxy are you from???

(ps...too bad she didn't use those acting chops in SW).

EPIIIBITES
uugh!...I think I'm gonna be sick!

Tangible God
I'd replace Natalie not becasue of her looks, but becasue of her acting abilities. I've seen her in other movies though and she's not bad in them, so for her sake I'm hoping it's all GL's fault.

DeVi| D0do
It is. She's been great in everything else she's been in...

And I'm pretty sure I could prove beyond any doubt that finding a hotter actress is physically impossible.

Alliance
I'd replace Natalie not becasue of her looks, but becasue of her acting abilities. I've seen her in other movies though and she's not bad in them, so for her sake I'm hoping it's all GL's fault.

laughing Its obviously GL's fault...especially because of the script.

queeq
Good points DeVi| D0do...I just pounced on Queeq simply 'cause he said that explosion was lame...i've seen lame explosions in movies...that one ain't one!

Oh yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to say the explosion was badly made. I just feel that this unexpected explosion didn't feel as a shocker. Takes more to create a shocker than a big flashy CGI explsoion that looks great. That is why I felt it was a lame opening, not because of its visual quality. But I hold dearly to the approach that great visuals alone don't make a good movie.

EPIIIBITES
That's cool Queeq.

BTW, you're looking kinda gaunt...maybe you should eat something.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>