What has God done for you? (Christians only!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

champion
I wanted a thread for people to tell what God has done for them. So far I cant think of anything big he has done.

Alliance
I can tell you this. A "chrsitians only" thread is already in existance.

I don't intends to abide by your rules.

Your god has done nothing for me.

champion
He has his reasons I know he does.

Oh I know what he did. He has healed me physically, saved me, brought me comfort, and most of all he has given his only son so that we could be forgiven

Alliance
I dont thing you really know anyhting about your god.

champion
I know him. I love him. He has always been there when I needed him most. He has listened to me when no one else would. He loved me when I felt no one else did.

Alliance
The void arounds us always listens, never replies, and that never changes.

champion
I have asked him for somthing and he gave it to me. He healed a painful back pack injury my doctor had no clue how to get rid of. He has spoken to me and many others.

draxx_tOfU
for all its worth, GOD has given me life and love. i want to thank HIM for everything, good AND bad....

Alliance
Originally posted by champion
I have asked him for somthing and he gave it to me. He healed a painful back pack injury my doctor had no clue how to get rid of. He has spoken to me and many others.

really...

I've never heard of an actual event of divine intervention.

...usually its just crackpots.

champion
Originally posted by draxx_tOfU
for all its worth, GOD has given me life and love. i want to thank HIM for everything, good AND bad.... clapping Well put! I agree! He has sent me my one and only bf. clapping

Alliance
oh...fresh out of the oven?

champion
Well no....but.....he did have us meet each other.

Shakyamunison
You can't have a Christian only thread. This is a religious forum; all religions.

champion
You do have a point.

draxx_tOfU
clapping Well put! I agree! He has sent me my one and only bf. clapping

well congratulations! lets hope your faith stays strong with your first heartbreak, but hopefully, it wont come to that. we must thank GOD, not only when we feel good about ourselves or about something, but even when it hurts us, we should give thanks...im not saying i have a strong faith, far from it, but let me just say this, read the book of job in the bible, its very inspiring..

Shakyamunison
You do have a point.

Then I will answer your question in a different manner.

Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo has had an incredible effect on my life. The power of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is clearly seen in my life. I lived in Hell before, but sense I started chanting I have come to realize that I am in control of my life.

champion
He already has helped me through my heartbreak. More than one.

champion
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Then I will answer your question in a different manner.

Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo has had an incredible effect on my life. The power of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is clearly seen in my life. I lived in Hell before, but sense I started chanting I have come to realize that I am in control of my life. Okay.

Nellinator
I wanted a thread for people to tell what God has done for them. So far I cant think of anything big he has done.
Brought me out of depression and darkness. Delivered me from addictions and hatred. Showed me how to love others which improved my relationships in a profound way and helped me make many new friends.
His death on the cross saved me from my past and freed me from the corruption in my life and the world around me.
The power of His resurrection has set me free from the past and brought me love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.
His word has strengthened me and increased my faith and peace.
Hallelujah!!

champion
Praise God!!!!!!

Imperial_Samura

I must admit I find it odd you make the condition "Christians only" and then happily say how you can't think of anything he has done for you. Why can't I come in and say that as well? I mean, I think it is valid for me to say the same thing.

Alliance
Praise God!!!!!!

There is that line...the one between discussion and spam.

xmarksthespot
Well since it's already been crossed...

http://www.filmica.com/casiopea/archivos/ralph1.jpg
Go banana!

Alliance
*boing*

Shakyamunison
Praise God!!!!!!

sad Why didn't I get a "Praise God!!!!!!"? roll eyes (sarcastic)

lil bitchiness
Praise Lord!!

Mashallah!!

Hare Krishna!!

happy There you go!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Praise Lord!!

Mashallah!!

Hare Krishna!!

happy There you go!

Thank you. You are always there for me. embarrasment

Alliance
*pokes*

No one ever said "Praise God" for me. cry

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
*pokes*

No one ever said "Praise God" for me. cry

And with good reason. *pokes back* laughing

Alliance
No body loves me cry

Shakyamunison
No body loves me cry

hug there, there...

laughing

Alliance
its because I cant spell

lil bitchiness
Oh you two stick out tongue babies!

To Shaky and Alli - NAMASTE!! *slight bow*

And that means, ''I bow to the devine in you'' or ''I gree the place where you adn I are one'' or ''The Spirit in me meets the same Spirit in you''

Thats better than Praise the Lord stick out tongue

Alliance
I wish i had something poetic to say back to that.

Solus Manda.

"one spirit"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Oh you two stick out tongue babies!

To Shaky and Alli - NAMASTE!! *slight bow*

And that means, ''I bow to the devine in you'' or ''I gree the place where you adn I are one'' or ''The Spirit in me meets the same Spirit in you''

Thats better than Praise the Lord stick out tongue

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Storm
God doesn' t do anything for me. I do.

champion
..........I ment I couldnt think at my best at the time of that post.

BobbyD
God has done more for me than I could ever imagine. smile

Alliance
Apparently god does nothign for anyone...becuase no one can come up with anything....funny...it leads one to wonder...

champion
You dont listen very well do you? God has done plenty for plenty of people. Because they asked for it and believed he would give it.

Imperial_Samura
You dont listen very well do you? God has done plenty for plenty of people. Because they asked for it and believed he would give it.

Perhaps... or is it possible they did it for themselves, and the concept of "God" merely acted as a motivator? Theoretically a friend comes by and tells me my house is on fire. I run, and break a speed record - but my house isn't on fire, the bastard was joking. Anyway - the fire didn't break the record, I did, merely motivated by the idea of fire.

People are capable of a lot. All I was saying was that people without faith in a God also achieve such things. Still, you can attribute them solely to God if you wish. Just have a little faith as well in the ability of a human to overcome adversity and problems themselves.

Quiero Mota

The fact that some intelligent powerful entity loves me for the fact that I exist. It's a comfort thing, I guess.

Impediment
Fairy tales and mythological figures don't do anything for me. I make thinks happen. I am in utter control of my life.

Bloody^Pirate
I'll tell you: he used to comfort me, the idea of his existance made me hope and use words such as: god please help me! god plz... god this...god that... when i felt down i used the name "God" to make my self feel better psychologically but i dont think he affects me anymore..

allofyousuckkk
To people who refuse to lsiten to logic, everything that happens, good and bad, proves god.

"I got a bf because of god"
Even if the bf is cheating on the girl, and he dumps her, it'll be justified by god wants the chick to feel pain. There is no win situation.

Alliance
Originally posted by Impediment
Fairy tales and mythological figures don't do anything for me. I make thinks happen. I am in utter control of my life.

Except when other people do things to you.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
To people who refuse to lsiten to logic, everything that happens, good and bad, proves god.

"I got a bf because of god"
Even if the bf is cheating on the girl, and he dumps her, it'll be justified by god wants the chick to feel pain. There is no win situation.

God is a divine sugar daddy. Even when I felt the vaguest bit of Christianity years ago, I always wondered about some of the things people would pray to God about. I mean, I could accept praying about poor old Aunt Malice (I'd like to name a child Malice, Malice and Pax.) who fell of the top of the Sears Tower. But when you have people praying to God to help them find a good pair of shoes? Or attributing every tiny little thing to him.?

One of the reasons why Grace always struck me as odd. You worked to earn the money for that food. You bought it, cooked it, served it and will was up the dishes. Where exactly does God enter into the equation?

Impediment
Except when other people do things to you.

I ask not for people to run my life. I do, however, accept acts of kindness and friendship, I glady, in turn, repay such acts.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
One of the reasons why Grace always struck me as odd. You worked to earn the money for that food. You bought it, cooked it, served it and will was up the dishes. Where exactly does God enter into the equation?
The Bible more about money and prosperity than the afterlife. God promises those who obey Him will prosper.

"He who pursues righteousness and love finds life and prosperity and honour." Proverbs 21:21

"Then the Lord your God will make you most prosperous in all the works of your hands." Deuteronomy 30:9

"Then you will be prosperous and successful" Joshua 1:8

"A generous man will prosper" Proverbs 11:25

"He who trusts in the Lord will prosper" Proverbs 28:25

"But diligent hands bring wealth" Proverbs 10:4

"The Lord does not let the righteous go hungry" Proverbs 10:3

"Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life" Proverbs 22:4

"Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." Proverbs: 3:9-10

and so on...

God will prosper those who are righteous and honour him with their wealth.

champion
Originally posted by Nellinator
The Bible more about money and prosperity than the afterlife. God promises those who obey Him will prosper.

"He who pursues righteousness and love finds life and prosperity and honour." Proverbs 21:21

"Then the Lord your God will make you most prosperous in all the works of your hands." Deuteronomy 30:9

"Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life" Proverbs 22:4

"Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." Proverbs: 3:9-10

and so on...

God will prosper those who are righteous and honour him with their wealth. Its true.

Shakyamunison

and so on...

Sound more like what a organization would say to try and get recruits.

KawiiShiloh
God has protected me. he stopped me from flying out of the car, he saved my brother, sent away a bad person from my family's life, sent me 4 of the greatest friends I could ever have (mariah, rachel, selina, robert), a great boyfriend, he put me into a friend's life to give him courage, he's comforted me, annnnd lotsa stuff i can't remember.

Adio

champion
Yay! Go God. Hi shi.

Alliance
Sound more like what a organization would say to try and get recruits.

Sounds like Hezbollah.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Impediment
Fairy tales and mythological figures don't do anything for me. I make thinks happen. I am in utter control of my life. And you are also god...We all are. IMO we are all filled with parts of an everlasting energy/Intelligence that is part of the creation process....We create physically and emotionally....and even in some science fields sub atomically....

Shhhhh........effecting the invisible.........don't tell.

Lord Urizen
He has his reasons I know he does.

Oh I know what he did. He has healed me physically, saved me, brought me comfort, and most of all he has given his only son so that we could be forgiven

Prove it

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by KawiiShiloh
God has protected me. he stopped me from flying out of the car, he saved my brother, sent away a bad person from my family's life, sent me 4 of the greatest friends I could ever have (mariah, rachel, selina, robert), a great boyfriend, he put me into a friend's life to give him courage, he's comforted me, annnnd lotsa stuff i can't remember.

Adio

God did wondors for me.

He helped me dislocate my shoulder, he helped me lose a lot of freinds, and he gave me a wondorful ex boyfreind.

Ah the wondors the Lord gives droolio

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Prove it

Oh, stop that! No one can prove anything. wink

Lord Urizen

I know. I wanna see if they try... wink

Alliance

Prove.

champion
There is proof in the roman records of crusifiction that he was crucified and there are no bones because he rose from the dead the records even state where he was burried

Lord Urizen
There is proof in the roman records of crusifiction that he was crucified and there are no bones because he rose from the dead the records even state where he was burried

Prove it

Alliance

See...this is funny...becuase its a lie.

Crucifiction, while common, was a very extreme form of Roman capitol punishment. It was not often used and record swere not often kept.

There is no record of Jesus' existance.

Imperial_Samura

and so on...

Yet it doesn't seem to work that way. I a person sits down and doesn't work - no money for you! I can't remember the last time I saw one of the righteous sitting out on there porch waiting for God to come by and drop off a food hamper and a rewards check. And I make plenty of money and live well, despite not having "God" - as to many, many millions of other people out there. Or billions. Likewise, there are plenty of the faithful and righteous that do go hungry.

I have no problem if people say "Thanks God. Things are good" - but it, I feel, does a profound disservice to the hard working when they get no praise for their actions, and have no value of their own achievements. They work hard, they make money, they should be able to give themselves a pat on the back, not simply attribute it all to a God whose contribution is questionable.

Nellinator
Prove it
I think maybe you should try asking a man who walks in the gifts of the Spirit to get yourself healed. It will work if the man has enough faith. Then tell me that God does not work miracles. Witness a live exorcism and tell that the supernatural does not exist. I don't think you would be able to.

Shakyamunison
I think maybe you should try asking a man who walks in the gifts of the Spirit to get yourself healed. It will work if the man has enough faith. Then tell me that God does not work miracles. Witness a live exorcism and tell that the supernatural does not exist. I don't think you would be able to.

People who are not Christian can heal people also. That miracle is not exclusive to Christianity.

Nellinator
You know I believe in evil spirits. They were created with the same powers, but God's is superior for where demons fail God succeeds. Why? The Bible says 'Love never fails' and 'God is love'. Therefore, ' never fails".

Shakyamunison
You know I believe in evil spirits. They were created with the same powers, but God's is superior for where demons fail God succeeds. Why? The Bible says 'Love never fails' and 'God is love'. Therefore, ' never fails".

Sorry, but I don't believe in spirits, but I do believe in the power of faith. A person can believe themselves healed.

Nellinator
But I said another could him with Faith, even with his unbelief. How would you explain that?

Shakyamunison
But I said another could him with Faith, even with his unbelief. How would you explain that?

I don't understand the question.

Nellinator
You said one could believe himself healed. But what if he was healed by the faith of another (an intercessor)? Would that mean there is something else responsible? I think so.

Shakyamunison
You said one could believe himself healed. But what if he was healed by the faith of another (an intercessor)? Would that mean there is something else responsible? I think so.

I don't believe that someone can heal someone else. All such healings are the healer allowing the sick person to believe and heal themselves.

Nellinator
Not always true. I consider exorcisms to be a form of healing because the Bible says that Jesus healed people of demons and unclean spirits. Exorcism are often not consensual.

Jim Reaper
"Christians only." Typical...

rooobarbcustard
Praise God!!!!!!

You sound like your in a cult. no expression

Lord Urizen

1) Healed from what ? I enjoy my life much more than I suffer. yes

2) What will work if who has enough Faith ?

3) I am open to the possibility of the supernatural existing. That doesn't mean I beleive in your God. He may or may not exist, I stated that many times..where have you been?

4) Ofcourse I will be able to. Even If I did see an exorcism, I can attribute it to many other possibilities...I have had such nightmarish things happen to me that were independent of any supernatural interference. I doubt an Exorcism would be that much more frightening.

Do you think an Exorcism is any more nightmarish than people who starve to death in other countries ?

Do you think it's any worse than people whove been tortured at the Christian Inquistions, or worse than the women who were tortured and burnt alive in the Protestant Salem Witch Trials ?

How about the Hate Crimes that occur all over this country and in other countries ?

Do you think it's more horrible than someone slowly withering away with A.I.D.S ?

Do you think it's any more painful to deal with than people who have reported undergoing surgery, accidently getting paralyzed but not put to sleep, so they felt the pain of the entire surgery, but couldn't move to signal that whey were awake ?

There are TONS of horrors and wondors that exist in this world. You center your entire idealogy and outlook on One Exorcism, yet if you would look to the other anamolies that exist in this world, you will see that nothing truly stands out. You will also realize that there are TONS of sources of causes for everything that happens.

To give credit to only "God and Satan" for every single event that has ever happened to anyone on this world is a limitted, cheap cop-out way of looking at things. yes

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by draxx_tOfU
for all its worth, GOD has given me life and love. i want to thank HIM for everything, good AND bad....

debbiejo
I think maybe you should try asking a man who walks in the gifts of the Spirit to get yourself healed. It will work if the man has enough faith. Then tell me that God does not work miracles. Witness a live exorcism and tell that the supernatural does not exist. I don't think you would be able to. People without Christ also get healed....All through history...Soooooooo who's doing the healings??

Nellinator
1) Healed from what ? I enjoy my life much more than I suffer. yes

2) What will work if who has enough Faith ?

3) I am open to the possibility of the supernatural existing. That doesn't mean I beleive in your God. He may or may not exist, I stated that many times..where have you been?

4) Ofcourse I will be able to. Even If I did see an exorcism, I can attribute it to many other possibilities...I have had such nightmarish things happen to me that were independent of any supernatural interference. I doubt an Exorcism would be that much more frightening.

Do you think an Exorcism is any more nightmarish than people who starve to death in other countries ?

Do you think it's any worse than people whove been tortured at the Christian Inquistions, or worse than the women who were tortured and burnt alive in the Protestant Salem Witch Trials ?

How about the Hate Crimes that occur all over this country and in other countries ?

Do you think it's more horrible than someone slowly withering away with A.I.D.S ?

Do you think it's any more painful to deal with than people who have reported undergoing surgery, accidently getting paralyzed but not put to sleep, so they felt the pain of the entire surgery, but couldn't move to signal that whey were awake ?

There are TONS of horrors and wondors that exist in this world. You center your entire idealogy and outlook on One Exorcism, yet if you would look to the other anamolies that exist in this world, you will see that nothing truly stands out. You will also realize that there are TONS of sources of causes for everything that happens.

To give credit to only "God and Satan" for every single event that has ever happened to anyone on this world is a limitted, cheap cop-out way of looking at things. yes
My entire ideology is not based around one exorcism. I have rarely mentioned it in my arguments. Where have YOU been?
1. Exorcisms heal people of foul spirits.
2. The faith of another can heal you.
3. You are living proof of why Jesus did not prove himself through miracles and wonders.
4. I think an exorcism is a truly terrible moment. Is it more horrible than the conditions you named in Africa. No, because it only directly effects one person. That was never my argument. However, you can die in Christ of hunger. When you are possessed you are likely to die outside of Christ. Dying outside of Christ is much worse than dying in Christ. Physical pain is fleeting, and I attach very little suffering to it. It is emotional and spiritual suffering that I am more concerned about. I have a feeling that you have done nothing to help the poor of Africa and that makes you a hypocrite if you are arguing for them while doing nothing.

badabing
My Faith has given me the strength to beat cancer and wisdom to learn from my mistakes. I give God credit for my inner strength and the ability to apply knowledge and experience.

champion
God rocks! ^^

badabing
Yes, God does rock. band

champion
^^

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by badabing
Yes, God does rock. band

Doesn't God forbid Rock ?

badabing
Just Death Metal and Square Dance music. shifty

Lord Urizen

Other than Christian Rock, Rock is a fairly Liberal and anti-authoritarian type of music.

And what is God other than Conservative and Authoritarian ?

God would not approve thumb down

badabing
Other than Christian Rock, Rock is a fairly Liberal and anti-authoritarian type of music.

And what is God other than Conservative and Authoritarian ?

God would not approve thumb down
A Led Zeppelin fan.

Nellinator
God wouldn't care about the style of music. All he cares about is wholesome lyrics. You can find this in all sorts of rock songs, just not all.

Regret

I like to compare the sounds in nature to music, and I love sitting at the bottom of a waterfall listening to the cacophony of sound as the water crashes down. I would say this is majestic, and can be compared to very heavy music in its feeling. I agree with Nellinator, the lyrics are what may make one song good and another bad for the soul.

Death Metal isn't always bad.

Now, Square Dance music... well, it has prescribed occult movements that can only be interpreted as the summoning of some evil demon from the depths of the abyss... Didn't Bush like square dancing? That should evidence enough as to its mind numbingly evil nature wink It is the total suppression of free will and succumbing to their vile "caller's" commands as they gyrate immorally in their flamboyant dress, that can only be seen as an affront to all that is holy wink Passing from one partner to the next in a whorish display that can only be seen as symbolic of promiscuity. And the majority of those I have observed participating are old, it is self evident that this square dancing sucks the youth from an individual. laughing

Imperial_Samura
God wouldn't care about the style of music. All he cares about is wholesome lyrics. You can find this in all sorts of rock songs, just not all.

Wholesome lyrics. For some reason putting it like that give me the shivers. Ughh.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Regret
I like to compare the sounds in nature to music, and I love sitting at the bottom of a waterfall listening to the cacophony of sound as the water crashes down. I would say this is majestic, and can be compared to very heavy music in its feeling. I agree with Nellinator, the lyrics are what may make one song good and another bad for the soul.

What if you don't understand the lyrics anyway? What difference would it make ?

TheBalance
The void arounds us always listens, never replies, and that never changes.

Very philosophical,
how are u by the way?

Mr. Sandman
Holy shit, I'm not Christian and I'm in this thread.

Am I going to hell now?

TheBalance
God does everything and he lets it happen he watches and acts when we watch and act because he is us he is in every molecule he moves with us, binds us, seperates us... there is a scary link there between that and the force... (no the force does not exist... as midiclorians! but it exists as god, as us, as one, as all!)
God has helped me breath, god has given me pain, god has given me wonder to expand, god has given me limits to learn. whatever god gives it all has reason and to not see that wud be utter treason!

TheBalance
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Holy shit, I'm not Christian and I'm in this thread.

Am I going to hell now?

no, if ur christian or not!

the bible basher who started this thread didn't think of others (even though i dont support any other religion) they all have the correct points and i found all of the correct good points in the Gothic Religion!

Nellinator
I would actually say yes. The mind can and often will subconsciously pick up the lyrics and listening to hate lyrics and may have an effect on you.

Regret

Personally, I don't believe in listening to music I don't know the words/message of. I don't believe that somewhere in our brain we are not breaking apart the song, even if we do not recognize this occurring. Given this, the words and phrases do elicit some neural response. This response increases the ease of neural response to the stimulus the next time we contact it. This impacts the type of response we will have in the future. I do believe we have freedom of agency, but we place ourselves in an environment and that environment will impact our future decisions, good or ill. Music is a strong stimulus, and has been shown to have strong impacts on our neural physiology, it seems unwise to place oneself in a position to possibly lose some control of our actions to an inappropriate environment, at least in the case where the environment may increase the probability that a behavior I would not want to occur might.

Nellinator
Personally, I don't believe in listening to music I don't know the words/message of. I don't believe that somewhere in our brain we are not breaking apart the song, even if we do not recognize this occurring. Given this, the words and phrases do elicit some neural response. This response increases the ease of neural response to the stimulus the next time we contact it. This impacts the type of response we will have in the future. I do believe we have freedom of agency, but we place ourselves in an environment and that environment will impact our future decisions, good or ill. Music is a strong stimulus, and has been shown to have strong impacts on our neural physiology, it seems unwise to place oneself in a position to possibly lose some control of our actions to an inappropriate environment, at least in the case where the environment may increase the probability that a behavior I would not want to occur might.
Yep.

Alliance

This is a horrible stance. Good muscic is good music, regardless of whether you understand it or not.

Listening to music does not cause you to lose control of your actions. Your problems are your problems, dont push them off on foreign music.

Regret
This is a horrible stance. Good muscic is good music, regardless of whether you understand it or not.

Listening to music does not cause you to lose control of your actions. Your problems are your problems, dont push them off on foreign music.

I don't think you understood my post, your response doesn't address it properly.

Gist of it:

Environment and history plays a role in response. You can't get away from it. Placing yourself in an environment that effects your history will impact future decision making, perhaps minimally, and maybe insignificantly, but it will have an impact. Given this, you should carefully control the environment that will impact you, so that it impacts you in a desired manner.

Alliance
I don't think you understood my post, your response doesn't address it properly.

Gist of it:

Environment and history plays a role in response. You can't get away from it. Placing yourself in an environment that effects your history will impact future decision making, perhaps minimally, and maybe insignificantly, but it will have an impact. Given this, you should carefully control the environment that will impact you, so that it impacts you in a desired manner.

I understhand that, but it doesnt adress your absurd stance about music.

...beside the fact that if you listen to bad music you suddenly become a murderer and a rapist.

Nellinator
Music can effect your response, but the decision on how you act is entirely up to you. Some people are not overly affected by poor lyrics, but some are. I try to avoid placing myself in situations where I could be effected negatively.

Alliance
That doesnt explain why you wouldn't listen to any music, even stuff you liked, if you didnt understand the words.

Its reactionary.

Regret
That doesnt explain why you wouldn't listen to any music, even stuff you liked, if you didnt understand the words.

Its reactionary.

Because the words will still impact my brains physiology. I am referring to lyrics that are screamed, in a language I understand, not to lyrics in a language I do not understand, that are incomprehensible. Thus, some songs my brain still picks up on the words, and neurons that fire in response to those words fire, perhaps not the ones that lead to comprehension, but a number of those neurons that fire in response to the transduction associated with those words may fire up to some point prior to the comprehension.

I'll listen to any music I "like." I just don't "like" some lyrics.

Shakyamunison
Because the words will still impact my brains physiology. I am referring to lyrics that are screamed, in a language I understand, not to lyrics in a language I do not understand, that are incomprehensible. Thus, some songs my brain still picks up on the words, and neurons that fire in response to those words fire, perhaps not the ones that lead to comprehension, but a number of those neurons that fire in response to the transduction associated with those words may fire up to some point prior to the comprehension.

I'll listen to any music I "like." I just don't "like" some lyrics.

However, music is more then lyrics. If someone writes evil lyrics they will convey that evil in the music.

Nellinator
However, music is more then lyrics. If someone writes evil lyrics they will convey that evil in the music.
Sometimes, but not always.

Regret

Agreed, but evil doesn't have to be yelled. Lyrics are the overt intent of music.

Sometimes, but not always.

Always. Evil isn't always ugly, and imo, often presents as attractive, and is often near indistinguishable from good.

Alliance
Often, the arbitrary lines we draw between good and evil dont really matter.

Nellinator
Always. Evil isn't always ugly, and imo, often presents as attractive, and is often near indistinguishable from good.
I think there are many songs that if the lyrics were changed could easily be wholesome songs.

Alliance
and who are you determine what is "wholesome?"

Regret

I'd say I am myself, if I were to use the term "wholesome" it would be in reference to my belief that it would not be harmful to me. As far as my posts are concerned they are in reference to myself and the music I would or would not listen to, not to any suggestion as to how someone else "needs" to behave.

Alliance
Except for your ststement that you dont listen to the music that you dont understand the words/the message of.

Granted, this was later clarified...but it was a horribly misleading way to state your opinon.

I attacked Nell's use of "wholesome." I dont recall you using it.

Regret
Except for your ststement that you dont listen to the music that you dont understand the words/the message of.

Granted, this was later clarified...but it was a horribly misleading way to state your opinon.

Yes, it was not clear.

I attacked Nell's use of "wholesome." I dont recall you using it.

k smile

Alliance
Yes, it was not clear.

Actually it was more like trying to see through obsidian.

Sadako of Girth
The church tried to ban the flattened-fifth interval in music.

Gospel and Blues bought it back to the fold and I know which feels more joyous and celebratory of life to me... Typical huh...?

And a word on lyrics: Nothing to do with music. The music is the beats, the sequence of notes etc.

Check out Faith No More's "Angel Dust" or some Mr.Bungle if you want to analyse some weird obscure scatolocial lyricry over some insane music. It may make you revise your thinking on how much lyrics actually count next to HOW its being sung.

Interestingly, people who suffer from schizophrenia feel at the mercy of TV and Song messages and feel compelled to obey, not being able to seperate reality from their illness, they have to mind what they watch listen to... Others can just deal.

EG: Listening to Bob Marley for 20 odd years hasnt once made me want to shoot a sheriff.

And if the power of lyrics were so immediately powerful, then shouldnt all religious songs be banned from mainstream airwaves, to prevent mass grooming via radio/tv/whatever...?

lord xyz
I wanted a thread for people to tell what God has done for them. So far I cant think of anything big he has done. God works in mysterious ways. no expression

Lord Urizen

I highly doubt it....

"Pain" by Jimmy Eat world, does not make me suicidal.

"Buttons" by Pussy Cat Dolls doesn't make me any hornier or freakier than I already am.

"Party up" by DMX doesn't make me want to go into a violent senseless rage.

"Crazy in love" by Beyonce does not make me fall in love with anyone.

"Dreams" by the Cranberries does not turn me any gayer....

Yet, I listen to those songs over and over, and the only thing they do is entertain me.

They in no way, shape, or form alter my beleifs or mentality, nor do they shape my identity.

Regret
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The church

This is a poor choice of terms any more, there are various churches.

Regret
I highly doubt it....

"Buttons" by Pussy Cat Dolls doesn't make me any hornier or freakier than I already am.

Y

Sadako of Girth
Pedanticism. stick out tongue

The leaders of the anglo christian church, then. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Your lack of response to the rest of the post has been noted though.... I'll leave this psuedo-spritual sausage fest to its natural conclusion...

Regret
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Pedanticism.

The leaders of the anglo christian church, then. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Your lack of response to the rest of the post has been noted though. Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I highly doubt it....

Yet, I listen to those songs over and over, and the only thing they do is entertain me.

They in no way, shape, or form alter my beliefs or mentality, nor do they shape my identity.

Hence: "perhaps minimally, and maybe insignificantly"

It is a falsehood to claim that the environment and your history "in no way, shape, or form alter your beliefs or mentality, nor do they shape your identity." Everything you come into contact with has an impact. You are stating an absolute in error. It may minimally or insignificantly impact you, but it does, in some way, impact you.

Lord Urizen

It is a falsehood to claim that the environment and your history "in no way, shape, or form alter your beliefs or mentality, nor do they shape your identity." Everything you come into contact with has an impact. You are stating an absolute in error. It may minimally or insignificantly impact you, but it does, in some way, impact you.

Not in any way that matters. wink

Violent and Hateful lyrics could only offend me or make me laugh. They will in no way make me hate someone for no reason, or become violent for no reason.

Regret
Not in any way that matters. wink

Violent and Hateful lyrics could only offend me or make me laugh. They will in no way make me hate someone for no reason, or become violent for no reason. Originally posted by Alliance
and who are you to determine what "matters?" (edited by Regret)

maham
God has done EVERYTHIN 4 me!!! THANK U GOD!!! Oh! n I m NOT a christian n I think the whole point of askin only christians that was wrong as other ppl blieve in GOd too u kno.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by maham
God has done EVERYTHIN 4 me!!! THANK U GOD!!! Oh! n I m NOT a christian n I think the whole point of askin only christians that was wrong as other ppl blieve in GOd too u kno.

But they don't care about you or me. laughing

Alliance

Its also a gross error to overplay the significance of every small event in your life.

There is a point where something is so small it doesn't matter any more. And there is no point in trying to control it.

You exist in a world, you don't get to build your own.

Nellinator
I would declare something wholesome if what it suggests does not contradict the Bible. I willingly admit that I don't always follow those criteria though. I do not believe that listening to unwholesome music automatically effects a person, but I know that it does affect some and this is why we must be careful.

Regret
Its also a gross error to overplay the significance of every small event in your life.

There is a point where something is so small it doesn't matter any more. And there is no point in trying to control it.

You exist in a world, you don't get to build your own.

I am not meaning to overplay the significance of the impact music has on individuals. It is simply a fact that everything in the environment impacts our behavior, I dislike it when people try to claim that it doesn't. Total freedom is a fallacy, life impacts everyone, experience shapes behavior. If a person comes into contact with anything it impacts perceptions, it is unavoidable.

My point is that "You exist in a world, you don't get to build your own."

Nellinator
I am not meaning to overplay the significance of the impact music has on individuals.
I think we are both coming out that way. Oh well. Environment does affect an individual and I think music has a very minor affect compared to human interaction.

Lord Urizen
I think we are both coming out that way. Oh well. Environment does affect an individual and I think music has a very minor affect compared to human interaction.

Music with intense lyrics can only brainwash a person who already has a pre-disposition to the opinion or point of view that the lyrics promote.

If you're a racist, then hate-music is only going to strengthen your views.

If you're not any sort of bigot, then hate-music will not have any real affect on your bias.

Shakyamunison

Lord Urizen

Shakyamunison
Influence from peers is much stronger than influence from musical lyrics wink

Musical Lyrics do not have the ability to answer your logic back, while peers have the ability to argue with you and constantly counter all your previous thoughts and replace them with thier own.

Agreed, but just because lyrics are a weaker influence does not discount their power over long enough time. The corruption simply takes longer.

Also, some people are more susceptible to the influence of music lyrics then someone with more independence.

maham
But they don't care about you or me. laughing

Who don't?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by maham
Who don't?

Christians. wink

Wonderer
The question is not what God can do for you, but what you can do for God! laughing

Alliance
*assassination*

Imperial_Samura
*assassination*

Character assassination, physical assassination, or, as one of the greatest droids ever suggested - psychological assassination?

Deus Venèficus
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Character assassination, physical assassination, or, as one of the greatest droids ever suggested - psychological assassination?

Wasn't that HK who said that?

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

Imperial_Samura

Alliance
OMG. This is not the SW-EU forum.

Pandemoniac
God? Guess he might be responsible for delaying a train once, so I managed to catch it, avoiding a half hour delay.
Beside that, he did absolutely nothing for me

Alliance
Did he speak a cow into existance on the tracks?

Imperial_Samura
OMG. This is not the SW-EU forum.

Awww, I like to think HK-47 transcends boundaries and can help us achieve greater understanding of ourselves, and even God.

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
http://www.webspawner.com/users/sowinseeds/theaudiblevoice.html

The Audible Voice of God
Author: Lori Jacobs

I have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. He is real and He is God Almighty!

I have personally spoken with him and he answers me. I have also heard His audible voice and so has many others.

My own sister use to say to me; " maybe God speaks to you but He doesn't speak to me". I told her that if she would ask God to Show Himself real to her, He would. She told me she went to bed that night and prayed.

Then in the middle of the night she was awoken and God spoke to her in an Audible Voice. He said to her in a very deep Loud voice; " If you seek my face, I will reveal myself unto thee"!

She said there was so much authority in His words it frightened her. She said O.K. God I believe, but I can't bear to hear your voice.

My sister in-law also heard His audible voice when she was mad at her husband; she was pouting and saying to herself, " I will not listen to him"!

She heard God (Jesus) speak loud and clear in the same tone that my sister and I had heard. God said to her; " You will listen to your husband"! She said O.K., O.k. God.

When I was younger I was praying about whether or not to do something. I heard Jesus say in an audible, stern voice ( this was a healthy fear, like the fear of a father, yelling at his child), "I said NO!!!!!" I was so shook I said, "O.K," and I did not hesitate to obey.

Also when my father was in World War 2, He was coming home and his jeep flipped over in an accident. Two of the men that were with him died, one man had his head decapitated. My father said he saw Jesus Christ standing there in front of him, he told my dad he was going to be all right.

Jesus still continues to talk to me and many other believers that is why we are so dedicated to Him. We have proof that he is the real God the Lord Almighty, part of the trinity of the Father.

If you want proof, you will have to ask Him yourself, of course, that's if you're not afraid. But don't be surprised if He answers you.

I have told others to do the same by asking God themselves. They looked at me as though I were crazy.

But the next day they would come back to me all excited, telling me how God had spoken to them. He loves you and died for you, don't persecute Him and hurt His Holy name. I will be praying for those who read this article.

Author of the Book: Purify Body and Soul found on Amazon books.

Wow. click on the drop down box for more testimonies.

Alliance
THAT is spam.

Shalimar_fox
what has he do for me?i'm alive,i can see smell hear taste touch thank him,have an family,have an dog,able to breath,talk, post,his son died for me,i have food water,milk,air,heat and cold,land to walk on,and house to live in,and bed to sleep in,an t.v,most of all he has given me his love

so how can any body say i can't think of any thing big.when every thing you do is an blessing by his will.don't forget the gifts he have give you all

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Shalimar_fox
what has he do for me?i'm alive,i can see smell hear taste touch thank him,have an family,have an dog,able to breath,talk, post,his son died for me,i have food water,milk,air,heat and cold,land to walk on,and house to live in,and bed to sleep in,an t.v,most of all he has given me his love

I have all those things and he did not send his son to die for me. I can imagine that some kind of love is coming down on me from the sky, but that would just be imagination. I think you have a good imagination. big grin

Shalimar_fox
believe what you want but it is not my place to judge you i will the Master,king,lord,and God of all things deal with you.your cloud of blind darkness shall not steal my joy and peace this day.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>