A level results

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
I just like to say congratulations to the people who got there A level results today smile

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, well done for taking the easiest set of A-level exams since they've been introduced. That's a great achievement.

botankus
What are A-level exams? Is that like a pap smear?

botankus
Okay, since no answer from Floo I looked it up and it appears to be some kind of academic sh*t. It's probably some newer version of the SAT and makes the student feel 1,000 times better about their score than the SAT, which only makes them feel 100 times better about their score.

Well, congrats to all those who did whatever it is you're supposed to do with it to it.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, well done for taking the easiest set of A-level exams since they've been introduced. That's a great achievement.

And you've seen all the exams through the years since you've done them, so you can make a valid judgment...

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
And you've seen all the exams through the years since you've done them, so you can make a valid judgment...

Oh...it's on....IT'S ON.

botankus
This thread is rockin'!

FeceMan
Originally posted by botankus
What are A-level exams? Is that like a pap smear?
Awesomeness contained.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Well, I don't think that level of thorougness is required to make an informed judgement of anything. However, I am the son of a mother and father who are/were both teachers. So...

Quiero Mota
I am the son of a mother and father who are/were both teachers. So...

erm The guy has a point, que no?....

fini
hmmm I teach A'levels, and although they dont do GCE exams here anymore( well for free), I am still surprised how easier it has gotten over the years.

I dont know what they hope to accomplish by making the exam easier, A'levels used to be comparable to 1st yr university level.......... now its more like O'levels. And universities are still teaching as if these students had the same knowledge as students 10 yrs ago.

Heck, I had to give a first yr university student a crash course in A/O maths, cause some of the old topics are not there anymore. And lecturers are not gonna teach them basics like that.

GRRRRRRR getting pass rates up is not everything. If the students dont work for it, then they shouldn't get the grade.

fini
Originally posted by botankus
Okay, since no answer from Floo I looked it up and it appears to be some kind of academic sh*t. It's probably some newer version of the SAT and makes the student feel 1,000 times better about their score than the SAT, which only makes them feel 100 times better about their score.

ummm, NO IT is not a version of the SATs............ Its older than the SATs, it a british exam, set for 17-18 yr olds, they take it at the end of secondary/high school. SATs is the american version of A'levels( Advanced level exam)

It has always been harder than the SATs...... but they have been making it easier over the yrs. Thing bout A'levels, good results can get u into nearly any universityin the world, SAT scores CANNOT. Students here that get great A'level results get full scholarships to Oxford, MIT etc. A student with good SAT scores, needs to do a year of preliminary courses before starting a degree in a university here.

botankus
Originally posted by fini
hmmm I teach A'levels, and although they dont do GCE exams here anymore( well for free), I am still surprised how easier it has gotten over the years.

I dont know what they hope to accomplish by making the exam easier, A'levels used to be comparable to 1st yr university level.......... now its more like O'levels. And universities are still teaching as if these students had the same knowledge as students 10 yrs ago.

Heck, I had to give a first yr university student a crash course in A/O maths, cause some of the old topics are not there anymore. And lecturers are not gonna teach them basics like that.

GRRRRRRR getting pass rates up is not everything. If the students dont work for it, then they shouldn't get the grade.
Originally posted by fini
ummm, NO IT is not a version of the SATs............ Its older than the SATs, it a british exam, set for 17-18 yr olds, they take it at the end of secondary/high school. SATs is the american version of A'levels( Advanced level exam)

It has always been harder than the SATs...... but they have been making it easier over the yrs. Thing bout A'levels, good results can get u into nearly any universityin the world, SAT scores CANNOT. Students here that get great A'level results get full scholarships to Oxford, MIT etc. A student with good SAT scores, needs to do a year of preliminary courses before starting a degree in a university here.

*gulp* blink Sorry I asked!!!! Bring on Hurricane Season, fini!

smoker4
Well, I don't think that level of thorougness is required to make an informed judgement of anything. However, I am the son of a mother and father who are/were both teachers. So...

Me too, lets start a club or something

fini
hey I wasn't being mean, lol just kinda educating you a bit, hehe

AND THE damn Hurricane season looks stalled, DAMN COLD ocean waters and upperlevel shear. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hmm maybe i should sit down and start setting test/exam papers for my students.evil face

§P0oONY
I got my AS Results... not hugely important but I did pretty well... even in Maths. happy

Yes, yes it is.... Who cares if they're the easiest; not I. it's still a pretty big deal for those who got their A2 results back...

Lumanix

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Lumanix
Yeah, that he is the son of teachers.

This is the problem with the current A-Levels; they don't teach people to grasp the whole picture. The students that graduate with them are still woefully short on the skills needed for university. They must be told explicitly the meaning of something, otherwise it flies high, high, high over their heads.

Not to Lumanix: My background knowledge supports my summation that the current A-Levels are easier than ever before. As for AS-Levels, they're a joke. They're just a piece of paper for kids who can't read good, and do other stuff good too.

Lumanix
Not to Lumanix: My background knowledge supports my summation that the current A-Levels are easier than ever before. As for AS-Levels, they're a joke. They're just a piece of paper for kids who can't read good, and do other stuff good too. And since you can't spell "note" right, does that mean you're on the same level as the kids that can't "read good" and "do other stuff good"?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
And since you can't spell "note" right, does that mean you're on the same level as the kids that can't "read good" and "do other stuff good"?

Haha...Another excellent example of the failing A-Level standards from Lumanix! He erroneously labels a typo as a spelling mistake! They're different, dear boy...They're different! Keep 'em coming, Smart Kid.

Lumanix
Haha...Another excellent example of the failing A-Level standards from Lumanix! He erroneously labels a typo as a spelling mistake! They're different, dear boy...They're different! Keep 'em coming, Smart Kid. Your grammar is also lacking too. You'd fail the testing.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Lumanix, you have flummoxed me as to where you are alluding to.

Unless, of course, this is another helpful demonstration of those falling standards...

Lumanix
Lumanix, you have flummoxed me as to where you are alluding to.

Unless, of course, this is another helpful demonstration of those falling standards... Keep going.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Keep going.

I was right again? Thank you, Lumanix. You are comedy gold.

You may lack a grasp of irony, and knowledge of popular culture, but I guess you do still serve a purpose.

Lumanix
I was right again? No.

You may lack a grasp of irony, and knowledge of popular culture, but I guess you do still serve a purpose.

You're one to judge.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do you know where you are, Lumanix? Do you know what day it is? No? Oh, dear...

Lumanix
Do you know where you are, Lumanix? Do you know what day it is? No? Oh, dear... Well, I can either decide to play the game where I mockingly post as if you actually amuse me, I could bash, I could call you a sock, I could ask if your bitches gave you your med-ee-ceene yet, or I can make a reference you wouldn't get.

YA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG!??!?!?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, I can either decide to play the game where I mockingly post as if you actually amuse me, I could bash, I could call you a sock, I could ask if your bitches gave you your med-ee-ceene yet, or I can make a reference you wouldn't get.

I'm pleased to see that you decided to ignore all of those lovely options. Well done. Good for you.

Lumanix
I'm pleased to see that you decided to ignore all of those lovely options. Well done. Good for you. I made the last one.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I made the last one.
I'm pleased to see that you decided to ignore all of those lovely options. Well done. Good for you.

Lumanix
I'm pleased to see that you decided to ignore all of those lovely options. Well done. Good for you. I made the last one.

xmarksthespot
People don't read good, they read well. Well some people do. A majority of the populace nowadays are borderline illiterate. Probably due to low educational expectations and increasingly mediocre standardized testing... such as the A levels.

Soleran
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
People don't read good, they read well. Well some people do. A majority of the populace nowadays are borderline illiterate. Probably due to low educational expectations and increasingly mediocre standardized testing... such as the A levels.

Lets also not forget popular sub-cultures that have made significant changes to cultures as a (w)hole.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I made the last one.
People don't read good, they read well.
Depends what school you go to.

Lumanix

Why do they go down. erm

I made the last one.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I made the last one.

Lumanix

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I made the last one.

Lumanix

I made the last one.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, I can either decide to play the game where I mockingly post as if you actually amuse me, I could bash, I could call you a sock, I could ask if your bitches gave you your med-ee-ceene yet, or I can make a reference you wouldn't get.

I made the last one.
I made the last one.
I made the last one.
I made the last one.
I made the last one.

Lumanix
Do you know where you are, Lumanix? Do you know what day it is? No? Oh, dear...

I made the last one.

I made the last one.

Depends what school you go to.

Why do they go down. erm

I made the last one.

I made the last one.

I made the last one.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I made the last one.

Yes, I do dig, but no you didn't make the last one.

Ya dig?

Lumanix
Yes, I do dig, but no you didn't make the last one.

Ya dig? Sleep well.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sleep well.
Thanks, I will. You had the effect I was looking for.

Lumanix
Thanks, I will. You had the effect I was looking for. I'd say orgasm, but you save that for Syren's posts.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'd say orgasm, but you save that for Syren's posts.

Oh, no. They don't even touch on 'cause and effect' in the courses now? That's OK, I'll break it down:

Your posts...induce me...to sleep.

Although, while I'm sleeping I may have something called a 'Wet Dream', so you're almost right.

(Do you like the fact I was looking for a way to compliment you?)

(Welcome.)

Lumanix
Oh, no. They don't even touch on 'cause and effect' in the courses now? That's OK, I'll break it down:

Your posts...induce me...to sleep.

Although, while I'm sleeping I may have something called a 'Wet Dream', so you're almost right.

(Do you like the fact I was looking for a way to compliment you?)

(Welcome.)

Nope, was just looking for a post I could use in the next portion of my profile.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Nope, was just looking for a post I could use in the next portion of my profile.

Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhh...Riiiiiiight. Right. Right. Right. Right. Riiiiiiiiight...

Skyda
So yeah..... good job on the A levels lol, I can't give a good opnion on this topic due to I haven't done my A levels but if you think about it, it may have gotten "easier" as some people have been saying but that doesn't make them easy over all....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Skyda
but if you think about it, it may have gotten "easier" as some people have been saying but that doesn't make them easy over all....

No, actually that's precisely what it does mean. Indeed, your inability to comprehend simple concepts clearly demonstrates these falling standards within the current education system.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.