Documentary: The Power of Nightmares

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
take it all how you wish, but i feel its worth viewing.

"In the past our politicians offered us dreams of a better world. Now they promise to protect us from nightmares. The most frightening of these is the threat of an international terror network. But just as the dreams were not true, neither are these nightmares."

part 1: http://www.oneplanetonenation.com/ponightmares1.html

"The Power of Nightmares continues its assessment of whether the threat from a hidden and organized terrorist network is an illusion. Part two, the Phantom Victory looks at how two groups, radical Islamists and neo-conservatives with seemingly opposing ideologies came together to defeat a common enemy. Among the many foreigners drawn to Afghanistan was a young, wealthy Saudi called Osama Bin Laden."

part 2: http://www.oneplanetonenation.com/ponightmares2.html

"The Power of Nightmares assesses whether the threat from a hidden and organized terrorist network is an illusion. In the concluding part of the series, the program explains how the illusion was created and who benefits from it."

part 3: http://www.oneplanetonenation.com/ponightmares3.html

Deano
The Power of Nightmares assesses whether the threat from a hidden and organized terrorist network is an illusion. id say yes it issmile

i will watch the documentarys

botankus
Everytime I see Deano's avi, I think it's a NASCAR driver at first.
And everytime I see his sig, I think it's some magician.

Deano
well fabregas can be considered a magician

FeceMan
I was expecting something about the psychological effects of nightmares/night terrors.

Thread does not deliver.

PVS
your jab contains truth. i should request a title change.

Ushgarak
Power of Nightmares was underwhelming. Try Peter Taylor's 'The New Al-Qaeda' instead- also 'Third World War'.

(and check out his three series on the Northern Ireland situaiton as well- damn good stuff).

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
I was expecting something about the psychological effects of nightmares/night terrors.

Thread does not deliver. Me too sad

PVS
cant find third world war. only was able to download a review of the show.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/4016713.stm
oh and i found this at the viewer comments page:

--------------------------------------------------------
It is bewildering how the new "elite" and "enlightened" mind works at the BBC. In light of the recent events in London, are you now not the least bit embarrassed to have conceived such lunacy? Did the Neo-Cons do this too? You are but a shell of what once was a brilliant and informative organization. Dear God how shameful!
James Everett, New York, USA
----------------------------------------------

I think quite a lot of the comments missed the point about these series. The program does not deny the existence of terrorists. What it denies is that there is a super-terrorist organization that Osama Bin Laden formed called the Al-Qaeda. A lot of these terrorists acted independently with separate aims, just as Islamic Jihad, Hamas and Hezbollah acted independently of each other with different aims. The program is asking us to be sceptical of inflated terror threats fabricated by powers that be and how these inflated threats are being used by politicians for their own ends and means.
Matthew Chan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

----------------------------------------

i think he summed it up nicely.

Deano
ive been saying that on these forums for years. why is this suddenly not a conspiracy all of a sudden. if i posted it,it wooon would be labelled so.

Ushgarak
Well, I'll match your reviews, PVS...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/4697723.stm

PVS
Originally posted by Deano
ive been saying that on these forums for years. why is this suddenly not a conspiracy all of a sudden. if i posted it,it wooon would be labelled so.

if i also posted in the same thread that george bush staged 9/11, i bet every last penny i have that this thread would be scooted off to the looney bin conspiracy theory thread along with all the green tyrant lizards, satanic freemasons, and recycled propaganda/disinformation from decades/centuries ago.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, I'll match your reviews, PVS...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/4697723.stm

no link to the actual program?

here is the review i listened to (third world war)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/frontrow_20040209.shtml
scroll down a bit

Ushgarak
Well, no, no link to the programme because ther BBC doesn;t actually make a habit of making their stuff available on-line seeing as that would be copyright violation. Not sure what the PON source is doing and I'd be surprised if it was entirely legal.

PVS
well, as vague as they were, it was a nonbias review, so ill just go with that until(if) i get to see it. im not going to pay to see it though, ill tell you that stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Well, that was for TWW, not The New Al-Qaeda, which is really a direct riposte to PON.

But all very much worth watching.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
cant find third world war. only was able to download a review of the show.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/4016713.stm
oh and i found this at the viewer comments page:
-------------------------------------------------------
It is bewildering how the new "elite" and "enlightened" mind works at the BBC. In light of the recent events in London, are you now not the least bit embarrassed to have conceived such lunacy? Did the Neo-Cons do this too? You are but a shell of what once was a brilliant and informative organization. Dear God how shameful!
James Everett, New York, USA
----------------------------------------------
I think quite a lot of the comments missed the point about these series. The program does not deny the existence of terrorists. What it denies is that there is a super-terrorist organization that Osama Bin Laden formed called the Al-Qaeda. A lot of these terrorists acted independently with separate aims, just as Islamic Jihad, Hamas and Hezbollah acted independently of each other with different aims. The program is asking us to be sceptical of inflated terror threats fabricated by powers that be and how these inflated threats are being used by politicians for their own ends and means.
Matthew Chan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
----------------------------------------
i think he summed it up nicely.

while the programme is correct in partly blaming the media for hyping up the terrorist threat...i find it most ironic that the BBC commission a porgramme to tell us that given that the BBC are as guilty as any other publisher or broadcaster at hyping up that fear

what i also found funny is that after watching the first link last night...i put the tv on...and there was an ad for a programme called

http://forums.digiguide.com/topic.asp?id=18320

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Deano

I love you, Deano.

PVS...I'll check dat shit tomorrow. Hold your breathe...

PVS
well, dont get me wrong, there could very well be terrorists in the u.s. and the u.k. living there and waiting to attack. thats where i think this program fails is in its implication that there is no threat. i think if they had stressed that a little better, and at the same time laid off the michael mooresque comedic editing (you know, clips from alibaba and silly soundbits etc) it would have been solid.

with that said, it obvious that neo-con policy is to inflate a problem to 100000 times its original proportion as a means of exploiting fear for control and a means to push policies which would otherwise be laughed off the senate floor. and as for the media, fear sells and thus terrorism is an all out boom (no pun intended), so how can they resist.

...but what they REALLY dont want us to know is this simple truth: all a devestating attack like 9-11 takes, is a crazy rich arab, a couple of tactical advisors, and a handful of murders with nothing to lose. thats it.
and so the truth is that there is no 'winning' the war on this elaborate imaginary network.

jaden101
the best comparison for the risk of being killed of in a terrorist attack is that it's about the same as dieing in a major train crash...they happen about as often (in the UK anyway) and about the same number of people are killed

whether thats actually true or not i dont know but it sounds like a plausible comparison to me

and you certainly dont see news specials every other day trying to terrify people off the railways incase they are killed

FeceMan
It wasn't really meant as a jab.

PVS
Originally posted by FeceMan
It wasn't really meant as a jab.

thats good to know, i feel better now. *puts razor blade back in medicine cabinet*

debbiejo
Can't we talk about the power of real nightmares???
crybaby

FeceMan
Originally posted by PVS
thats good to know, i feel better now. *puts razor blade back in medicine cabinet*
Personally, I've never found beards to be that chic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.