Sig Size

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
There seem to be a lot of members who wish to make changes to the sig limit we currently have in place.

So I thought I'd get a general consensus of what people really feel on the matter, and see if we could make some changes.

TheKingofKINGS!
Increase sig size. Preferably is file size, and HxW size. Because I've had a few good sigs made that've been too big for me to use (via file size)

Syren
I would have suggested an increase in text line only but as you've included the option of increasing both sig image dimensions and size I went for that. Obviously within reason as there are those who would abuse the freedom, but I'm guessing a lot of signature makers would appreciate the chance to make higher quality sigs again. I'd be happy with another text line myself happy

§P0oONY
I think the sig image dimensions are pretty good, maybe an extra line of text but other than that I'm happy.

Deano
yeh i think a little more size would be goodbig grin

Lana
Room for an extra line of text sounds good to me.

A higher file size would be great, but pixel size itself I think is fine as is.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana

A higher file size would be great, but pixel size itself I think is fine as is.

Oooh... Larger file size would be great.

Impediment
What dimensions are we talking about here? How much larger? Personaly, I think that the size should stay as is. Larger sigs, in my opinion, would be too.............page consuming. However, extra text would be very nice.

T.M
I think they are fine as they are. I don't think bigger sigs are needed really.

LanceWindu
I vote for larger filesize and one extra line of text.

Grand_Moff_Gav
More text lines please...

Impediment
Yes, more text lines.

Lightningrod
the sig size is good

Barker
Originally posted by LanceWindu

Praylu
I personally would like the sig size increased to the size it was before, 500x200.

Impediment
500x200 seems so big, and like and eyesore.

Lana
500x200 is massive.

Personally I find 450x150 to be too large, it's like a billboard.

Nazgulinthedark
Increase the text line. I want to fit more people onto my scrolly thingy.

Praylu
500x200 is massive.

Perhaps but not ridiculous, although increasing the current size somewhere higher than 450x150 and under 500x200 would be fine in my view. I'm sure there must be others who agree...

Syren
I agree with Lana, 450x150 even seems too large to me. I've recently started using an old sig of those proportions and I'm thinking about shrinking it, because I've gotten used to smaller sigs. I was all for large sigs but now they do look huge erm

BakaXero
Originally posted by LanceWindu
I'm happy with the dimensions. sigs made any larger will become an eye sore and can be scrolling hazard. But dont make it any smaller. size limit about 45kb max cause Kmc still needs to be 56k friendly

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by BakaXero
I'm happy with the dimensions. sigs made any larger will become an eye sore and can be scrolling hazard. But dont make it any smaller. size limit about 45kb max cause Kmc still needs to be 56k friendly

yes I totally Agree

thumb_up

I am pretty happy with how it is, wouldn't mind the kb being taken up a little.. like 40kb would be good. smile

thefallen544
I personally would like to see the kb limit increased but the actual size limitations I prefer like many I generally make sigs that are on the smaller side (400x150 if not smaller) as I think larger ones tend to look too imposing. I just find that sometimes I have to remove something I like from a sig because it makes it exceed the kb limit unless I vastly reduce the quality.

Raz
As a comprimise, I'm thinking of upping the filesize to around 50k, and extending the dimensions of the width to make better use of the space.

Would that be fair?

§P0oONY
That'd be awesome Raz.

Raz
I've upped an example in my sig of the max dimensions, and its only 17k.

I'm thinking 540x150 as it would fit the 800x600 resolution perfectly.

Lana
Originally posted by Raz
As a comprimise, I'm thinking of upping the filesize to around 50k, and extending the dimensions of the width to make better use of the space.

Would that be fair?

I believe that sounds absolutely perfect.

I've always been a fan of wider sigs myself, and the higher file size would be great.

...but who uses 800x600 anymore? stick out tongue

Dusty
I wish for more size in kb's.

But what does it matter for me? I don't have a limit. erm

However, I think we can see some better signatures with the option of higher quality.

§P0oONY
540x150 sounds about right...

I totally dont use 800x600 ninja

(I do on this computer, it's really old)

Raz
For 800x600 this would be right:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8938/testrs1.jpg

For 1024x768 this:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5628/test2vy5.jpg

Hmm..dunno. Only problem is that the second one will mess up the layout for anyone lazy enough not to change the default XP resolution.

Storm
The second one is too excessive imo.

Lana
Yeah, second one's far too big, I think.

LanceWindu
I wouldn't be able to make a sig at either of those sizes. stick out tongue Too big, but more power to anyone who can.

§P0oONY
... stick out tongue

Lana

§P0oONY
The empty space...it burns...

It's minimalism... It's fashionable.. stick out tongue

Barker
Originally posted by Raz

Would that be fair?
I absolutely love you.

Aurora
I would love a little larger kb limit, but I think that the pixel size is great.

Barker
Originally posted by Dusty
I wish for more size in kb's.
Originally posted by Aurora
I would love a little larger kb limit.
Don't be greedy. ermm

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Raz

Would that be fair?

50k is awesome clap

i dont really care about the dimensions.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Raz

Would that be fair?

thumbsup

Syren
So, someone explain to a girl who doesn't know shit; does this mean we get extra space for text? ninja

Edit: I just tried to add more text and I got the old '8 lines only' crap cry

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Syren
So, someone explain to a girl who doesn't know shit; does this mean we get extra space for text? ninja

Edit: I just tried to add more text and I got the old '8 lines only' crap cry

No, no it doesn't... no

I'm not sure if the new sig restrictions are even up yet though.

Syren
Bugger, so even if Raz puts the new restrictions up, I won't be able to add more text? That's a shame, it did seem to me that a lot of people were looking to have the 'more text' option erm

§P0oONY
Bugger, so even if Raz puts the new restrictions up, I won't be able to add more text? That's a shame, it did seem to me that a lot of people were looking to have the 'more text' option erm

I believe he is keeping the vertical restrictions the same... It would seem a lot of people had but I think most people just wanted an increased file size.

Syren
Well meh to them, then. *offended * stick out tongue

Fire
As long as you don't bring back, and I know you won't, those endless half a page long sigs it's all good for me

Syren
Raz, please can we have extra text room? I really want to have 'PittMan Strikes Again' above my sig and two lines of text beneath it... is that possible?

Raz
We're still in the consultation process wink

But for the limit changes, I guess we could "beta" test a new 10 line sig and see what that gets us.

I'll give people a couple more days to air their views before going ahead with the changes.

Raz
For a 10 line example, see my sig.

6 lines used by image - 4 by text.

LanceWindu
I think it works...lots of room for what people need, but not too big.

Praylu
Originally posted by Raz
I've upped an example in my sig of the max dimensions, and its only 17k.

I'm thinking 540x150 as it would fit the 800x600 resolution perfectly.

Sounds great, maybe add 15 or so to the 150 and it would be perfect, but that's just me though.

Lana
I think it looks good to me, it's not too excessive and gives room for plenty of text.

Just don't make the images any taller than they are stick out tongue

§P0oONY
I don't think you need that much text in a sig... maybe just 1 extra line... I think having that much would just mean that signatures would be dominating the page.

Barker
Originally posted by Raz
For a 10 line example, see my sig.

6 lines used by image - 4 by text.
Looks good. thumb up

BakaXero
i think it's more then perfect

Barker
Originally posted by BakaXero
i think it's more then perfect
Why don't you Marry it? no expression

BakaXero
Originally posted by Barker
Why don't you Marry it? no expression
maybe i will no expression

Barker
That's the ticket.

Leo.M
That sig is too big. I was just thinking we could just have it a little bigger. Say 50K - 500 x 155 whistle

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/496/testrs1do6.jpg

And 10 lines seems too much. How about just 9 lines.

Deano
yeh increasing sig size to 35 maybe 40 would be ideal

Lana
Taller signature images is what makes it seem like they're taking up the entire page...if you've got 800x600 resolution (though I can't understand why anyone would use that), a 150px tall image uses up nearly a third of the page (unless you have the browser in full-screen mode). Text takes up less space than images, so I don't see that as big a problem...I just want a higher file size stick out tongue

H. S. 6
I like the 540 x 150, and the 50 kb. However, I think the 10 lines is a bit too exsessive. I'd rather see it at 8 or 9.

I think people would take advantage with 10 lines; we'd see scrolling masses of text and smilies everywhere. stick out tongue

TOH
50 kb? Cool thumb up

Barker
Originally posted by H. S. 6
We'd see scrolling masses of text and smilies everywhere. stick out tongue
We should have a Smilie limit, and ban some Smilies from being used in Signatures.

I've seen one where the blowup smilie was used under an Image and basically doubled the Size of the Canvas for no reason.

Lana
Well, custom smilies aren't allowed in sigs, because some people upload huge custom smilies to try and make their sigs bigger.

But yeah, I've seen that before too and that's just simply obnoxious.

Dusty
More Kb size. thumb up

Barker
Originally posted by Barker
Don't be greedy. ermm

Raz
Sig now at 8 lines. Seems decent to me.

ShinobiRikari
I agree with Lana, 450x150 even seems too large to me. I've recently started using an old sig of those proportions and I'm thinking about shrinking it, because I've gotten used to smaller sigs. I was all for large sigs but now they do look huge erm
I agree with that state ment as well, though I think that the dimensions should be kept the same so that those who want the 450x150 px may still use them. Perhaps increasing the file size would be a better choice. I must agree with Lana in that a larger file size will most likely please many signature makers greatly. There have been good sigs I have made that were just over the file size.

Syren

Barker
Originally posted by Raz
Sig now at 8 lines. Seems decent to me.
Isn't it 8 already? confused

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6436/vbucv5.jpg

srug

Well, if you want more text, you can always do what I do, and not make your sig the maximum height...
Don't you not have Restrictions as a Mod anyway? stick out tongue

Lana
Well, if you want more text, you can always do what I do, and not make your sig the maximum height...

§P0oONY
I think it should be

540x150 image... with 1 or 2 lines of text .... nothing more.

Syren
I'd just really like to keep my sig the size that it is and have the option for 3 lines of text... yes

§P0oONY
Maybe you could do a thing like with the avatars...

The number of sig lines increases over 0,1,2 years.

Simply because a lot of people's text in sigs annoy me, especially with the scrolling but it seems that most people who have been on for 2-3 years or so have gotten that problem under control.

DigiMark007
Taller signature images is what makes it seem like they're taking up the entire page...if you've got 800x600 resolution (though I can't understand why anyone would use that), a 150px tall image uses up nearly a third of the page (unless you have the browser in full-screen mode). Text takes up less space than images, so I don't see that as big a problem...I just want a higher file size stick out tongue

My thoughts exactly. Higher file size, same dimensions....any bigger and it would be an awful lot of clutter.

ThePittman
I would like a higher kb size as well, it's hard to make a quality GIF with a 30kb limit. I like adding just one or two lines of text as well but the sig image size I think is fine.

Rewmac
Surely the size of the sigs....I mean of course the KB limit...

Lana
Originally posted by ThePittman
I would like a higher kb size as well, it's hard to make a quality GIF with a 30kb limit. I like adding just one or two lines of text as well but the sig image size I think is fine.

Don't save as a gif? stick out tongue I never use gifs unless I need animation or transparency, and for transparency I try to use PNGs as much as possible.

Lumanix
Raz's signature rules. That works perfectly ^^

pr1983
I think sigs are fine they way they are... being on dial-up, i'm grateful there are limitations, as i'd never get to read half the threads i want to without em...

at least keep the dimensions the same...

§P0oONY
Don't save as a gif? stick out tongue I never use gifs unless I need animation or transparency, and for transparency I try to use PNGs as much as possible.

I try and use PNG's as much as possible but you can't really limit they're file size like you can with JPG's.

Lana

Thorinn

A higher file size would be great, but pixel size itself I think is fine as is. My sentiments exactly. thumb up

Barker
My ideal thing would be an extra text line, the 540x150 Dimensions, and the 50 Kb Filesize.

I'd like the text line, for Text, obviously.

The Extra Dimensions for stuff like this: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6939/wowlo0.jpg

The Filesize for obvious reasons.

Lumanix
Originally posted by pr1983
I think sigs are fine they way they are... being on dial-up, i'm grateful there are limitations, as i'd never get to read half the threads i want to without em...

at least keep the dimensions the same... You know you can turn signatures off, correct?

Raz
I'd just really like to keep my sig the size that it is and have the option for 3 lines of text... yes You could fit in 3 lines of text if you used a sig with 135 height instead of 150.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Raz
You could fit in 3 lines of text if you used a sig with 135 height instead of 150.

She can use the same size sig if the Dimensions get Upped... She doesn't have to make a bigger one.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
She can use the same size sig if the Dimensions get Upped... She doesn't have to make a bigger one.

I'll probably stick with 450x150 if the dimensions get upped... Simply because I have a lot of templates made up for that dimension. I'd probably up the wuality of the sigs though, if the file size is increased but I won't add more text.

Raz
New limits are now in place.

Max dimensions are now 540x150 and max size is 50k (51200 bytes). Also, you should be able to have two lines of text with the max sig size.

§P0oONY
Awesome!

I'll use my large sig to tell people. stick out tongue

Scythe
'Bout f*ckin' time...

Lana
I've posted about it in the sig forum, hopefully people will notice it.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Raz
max size is 50k (51200 bytes) a049

Vinny Valentine

Barker
I love thee, Raz.

Ronny
SWEET!

Piggle Humsy
I think my sig clearly expresses my feelings on the new adjustments...

thanx

BakaXero
i think since these changes have been made i think there should be no further complaints about getting larger sigs allowed. Cause this is great!

Syren
Ok... I'm happy. I think it's enough of a compromise as the new sigs people are wearing actually look great yes

Aurora
Originally posted by Raz
New limits are now in place.

Max dimensions are now 540x150 and max size is 50k (51200 bytes). Also, you should be able to have two lines of text with the max sig size.

Perfect! I probally won't use all of the dimensions but it great to have the option!

And thank you thank you thank you for the size increase!!!!

eek! eek!

Lumanix
"Please reduce the size of your signature, as it is too large.

Currently it is 9 lines. We allow a maximum of 8 lines.

The lines include any images you have in your signature. (25 height pixels = 1 line)"

no expression

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lumanix
"Please reduce the size of your signature, as it is too large.

Currently it is 9 lines. We allow a maximum of 8 lines.

The lines include any images you have in your signature. (25 height pixels = 1 line)"

no expression

Sucks to be you...

BakaXero

Lady Fianna
Yayyy!!!

Lumanix

Syren
So, did you manage to sort it then?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.