Ares into the new Avengers team, what do you think about it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K3VIL
So Ares will take the place of Thor as the big gun godly being.
To me, his addition is crap.
Ares has never been a hero, so why should he join Cap and the others?
Also compared to Thor, he's not that powerful.He has Class 75 tons of strenght, superhuman durability, reflexes and agility, he can fly, tough I don't know his maximum speeds, and he carries olympian weapons and armor, but to me, well he looks like a low level Thor without the hammer powers and the other abilities.

Draco69
Where'd you hear that?

Oh, and Marvel Ares really needs to take notes from DC Ares. DC Ares is a scary mofo...

Jade Lightning
It'll be interesting to say the least, I think he is a lot cooler than Thor and Sentry, personally I hate both of those characters.

Validus
Originally posted by Draco69
Where'd you hear that?

Wizard. Bendis plans to show that Ares can beat Thor in a fight.

Draco69
Sentry is SO gonna die in the Civil War. Nobody likes him. Thor's obviously gonna hammer in his psycho head...

Draco69
Originally posted by Validus

*sigh*

Bendis shouldn't write Avengers. He's better off writing a no-name street-level character like he did with Luke Cage and ALIAS...

Validus
I think Sentry will stay with New Avengers. Ares will join the new Mighty Avengers team.

K3VIL
Ares has been injured, and real bad in the past, from Thor's hammer.
What's the plan for Bendis plot?
Probably he'll came up with something like:
Zeus boosted Ares powers when he decided to became a hero, so he's above Thor, or s.hi.t like that.
Ares can beat Thor my ass

Validus
Originally posted by K3VIL
Zeus boosted Ares powers when he decided to became a hero, so he's above Thor, or s.hi.t like that.
I'm sure it will suck whatever it is. I'd personally be surprised if Bendis writes Ares as anything but a Class 75 Wolverine.

Black Adam
I really enjoyed the Ares mini from a few months back

Flaming fastball special FTW!!

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4866/ares320tb3.th.jpghttp://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6558/ares321nh8.th.jpg

but an Ares written by Bendis?

no thanks.

Soleran
Ares should smoke most those guys being the God of War and all to bad he is just written under Bigger named comic hero's though.

ScarletSpider
Agreed. Too bad, Oeming did quite a good job dusting him off and getting me interested in the character.

King_Mungi
This new Avengers team is going to be top tier, even rumored to have the Thing who will be leaving the U.S soon.

roughrider
Will this mean two Avenger teams again? One in the East, one in the West...
Thor comes back, is he really not going to be part of the team? I can see him on one team, Ares on the other.
Bendis hasn't shown a flair for writing godly or cosmic characters. I don't see how well he would handle these two.
And this fight idea - Ares is savage to battle up close, and Thor certainly has had tough fights in the past with the God of War from his own pantheon, Tyr. But Thor would win in my opinion.

King_Mungi
Well the big rumor is, the heroes are coming to Canada to form Avengers North. As members of Alpha Flight will merge into the Avengers team.

roughrider
Where'd you hear that?

Oh, and Marvel Ares really needs to take notes from DC Ares. DC Ares is a scary mofo...

While Ares is the big heavy villain in the Greek pantheon at DC, at Marvel that distinction goes to Hades/Pluto.

srankmissingnin
So Ares will take the place of Thor as the big gun godly being.
To me, his addition is crap.
Ares has never been a hero, so why should he join Cap and the others?
Also compared to Thor, he's not that powerful.He has Class 75 tons of strenght, superhuman durability, reflexes and agility, he can fly, tough I don't know his maximum speeds, and he carries olympian weapons and armor, but to me, well he looks like a low level Thor without the hammer powers and the other abilities.

The last issue of Wizard where it was confirmed that Ares was going to joined on of the Avengers teams (there will be two), the interview asked who would win Thor or Ares. Bendis' answer was: "Ares, and you'll see it soon." (or something along those lines)

EDIT: My bad, this was already mentioned... not sure how I missed it

Creshosk
Bendis plans Why do these two little words fill me with such a great sense of dread?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Creshosk
Why do these two little words fill me with such a great sense of dread?

... Storms a brew'n evil face

Lucid Lui
Apparently the line-ups suppoesed to look something like this: Wasp, Captain America, Iron Man, (POSSIBLY) the Hulk, Wolverine, Black Widow, Ms.marvel, Quicksilver (and he is running again) and Ares.

I don't buy a few of them though.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Apparently the line-ups suppoesed to look something like this: Wasp, Captain America, Iron Man, (POSSIBLY) the Hulk, Wolverine, Black Widow, Ms.marvel, Quicksilver (and he is running again) and Ares.

I don't buy a few of them though.

Bendis was pretty adamant on not allowing any version of the Hulk on the Avengers (She Hulk included)

MightyEInherjar
Man, always in my head I imagined a huge war of mythological gods from all pantheons (not comic book gods), I always pictured Thor and Ares to come out on top, duking it out.

(Thor wins, so says me mind)

joesha28

I think Ares will have the Grasscutter sword by than.

SnakeEyes
After reading the mini, I really like Ares as a character.

So... while I'm skeptical, I like the addition.

Dinkus Mayhem
Its too bad Marvel did not take this opportunity to add Namor to the Avengers, he would have been a decent fit for that spot IMO.

Ares is ok I guess, but there were plenty of better options for that spot I think.

Arahan
Quicksilver running again? Cool.
I am not really happy with his time warp powers.

Darth Vicious
According to Wizard Magazine there will be 2 Avengers team, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers with Ares and Hulk being in Mighty Avengers and according to the writer Ares can and will defeat Thor.

R.O.T. Yahman

Bendis didn't say that, his artist did. Bendis reckons Thors on Sentrys level, and Ares is not a Sentry level character.

R.O.T. Yahman
*sigh*

Bendis shouldn't write Avengers. He's better off writing a no-name street-level character like he did with Luke Cage and ALIAS...

Agreed .... He should swap places with JMS on Spiderman, I think Morisson, Ellis or Waid could also make avengers work.

R.O.T. Yahman
I'm sure it will suck whatever it is. I'd personally be surprised if Bendis writes Ares as anything but a Class 75 Wolverine.

Hell basically be what Aquaman was on Morissons JLA team.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Bendis didn't say that, his artist did. Bendis reckons Thors on Sentrys level, and Ares is not a Sentry level character.

Im not sure what Wizard u read but It was Bendis that said it. Check the Image.

Soleran
Thor alone isn't a Sentry level character unles he has his hammer as well. Thor and Ares seem as though they would be very close in power with no magical weapons at their disposal.

marvelprince
Don't know where all this talk of Bendis ruining the Avengers and talk of how badly he'll handle Ares is coming from. Last time I checked New Avengers was still one of Marvel's top selling books and Bendis has yet to touch Ares so lets save the talk about him not not being able to handle the character until after he...youknow...handles the character. Apparently I'm the only one enjoying New Avengers but personally I'm excited. As for Ares, the character does interest me and I want to know his motivations for joining the Avengers. I'll adopt a wait and see attitude when it comes to Ares characterization though

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by marvelprince
Don't know where all this talk of Bendis ruining the Avengers and talk of how badly he'll handle Ares is coming from. Last time I checked New Avengers was still one of Marvel's top selling books and Bendis has yet to touch Ares so lets save the talk about him not not being able to handle the character until after he...youknow...handles the character. Apparently I'm the only one enjoying New Avengers but personally I'm excited. As for Ares, the character does interest me and I want to know his motivations for joining the Avengers. I'll adopt a wait and see attitude when it comes to Ares characterization though

Actually Im with U. I have no complaints about Bendis so far, I really enjoy his New Avengers plus the fact that he will tie up all loose ends going back to NA #1 makes it even sweeter.

K3VIL
Origin: Like all mythological gods, Ares derives his quasi-magical godly power from Earth's ethereal biosphere. The circumstances of his actual birth are as yet shrouded in legend. His relationship to his "father" and "mother" (Zeus and Hera) is one of tradition, rather than actual blood-relationship.

Powers: As an immortal god, Ares possesses vast strength and endurance. His physical attributes are superior to the majority of Olympian gods. He is able to lift approximately 70 tons. He has virtually inexhaustible stamina, not tiring appreciably after any exertion. Like all immortals, Ares cannot die by any conventional means. His life force is beyond the reach of mortal injury. He can be wounded in battle, but his godly life force gives him incredible recuperative abilities. He can heal from penetration wounds (such as by knife, sword, or bullet) in anywhere from minutes to hours, depending on their severity. Only an injury of such magnitude that it incinerated him or dispersed a major portion of his bodily substance could kill him. However, in that case, Zeus or one of his fellow gods may have the power to resurrect him.

Nothing to Thor.Namor defeated him last time he fought the Avengers.

Darth Vicious
I saw this in wikipedia. Im pretty sure this was before the mini series.

Arahan
He was bad ass in hin mini

joesha28
Maybe Ares wants Thor's head. Remember it was due to Thor so called "betrayal" that caused the japanese god go havok on the olympians.

olympian
I want to see Ares chulk up Thor.

Bring it on, Bendis!

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by marvelprince

No one said he was ruining it, he's just not improving it .... the last good Avengers stuff was being written by Geoff Johns. smile

Darth Vicious
Can someone explain the Marvel Universe's Grasscutter history? What is it?

marvelprince
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
No one said he was ruining it, he's just not improving it .... the last good Avengers stuff was being written by Geoff Johns. smile

I really hope that was a joke. IIRC his run was a bit and lackluster for me. Busiek did some good work but I wasn't a month-by-month reader till Bendis came along

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.