Question about Spam E-mails

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

botankus
I'm sure somebody out here has gotta know this, 'cause it's bugging the hell outta me. Why is it, every single spam message I get (I click "Preview" at work so I don't actually open the message) has a bunch of stuff like:

Buy $2.59
Buy $4.52

and so on...BUT THEN, at the end, there's always some random literary passage that sounds like Charles Dickens on LSD. For example, here was the mumbo jumbo at the end of some e-mail about prescription drugs:

Zeal without knowledge, is fire without light Adversity Makes Strange Bedfellows

Fax is stranger than fiction.. If you get it overnight, you can lose it just as quick

Is it a method of masking their intentions? Any ideas? I know it isn't to make them sound articulate.

Bardock42
I don't read Spam emails

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't read Spam emails

I wish I could contribute as much as you to the discussions here on KMC...

*sad face*

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I wish I could contribute as much as you to the discussions here on KMC...

*sad face*

You will, one day you will...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You will, one day you will...

You're right...I must always reach for the stars...

Bardock42
You're right...I must always reach for the stars...

I like how you call them stars it's really a cute ...oh..you actually meant stars...well..nevermind I guess.

botankus
Actually, I could have used these last few posts in my original example.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I like how you call them stars it's really a cute ...oh..you actually meant stars...well..nevermind I guess.

Yeah, I'm really tall. Like a tree.

Bardock42
Yeah, I'm really tall. Like a tree.

Yeah, I heard about that. "Ya Krunk'd Floo....he's tall like a tree. They call him Bonsai"

Gregory
I think it' to try to get them through spam filters.

botankus
I can see the logic behind spam filters blocking anything with articulation in it, but I don't see the logic in it.

Victor Von Doom
Spam filter: 'That sounds fairly vague, I'll let it through.'

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
I can see the logic behind spam filters blocking anything with articulation in it, but I don't see the logic in it.

Hmm....I think my head is dying.

Nichole
I'm sure somebody out here has gotta know this, 'cause it's bugging the hell outta me. Why is it, every single spam message I get (I click "Preview" at work so I don't actually open the message) has a bunch of stuff like:

Buy $2.59
Buy $4.52

and so on...BUT THEN, at the end, there's always some random literary passage that sounds like Charles Dickens on LSD. For example, here was the mumbo jumbo at the end of some e-mail about prescription drugs:

Zeal without knowledge, is fire without light Adversity Makes Strange Bedfellows

Fax is stranger than fiction.. If you get it overnight, you can lose it just as quick

Is it a method of masking their intentions? Any ideas? I know it isn't to make them sound articulate.

Never read spam emails. Delete them as soon as you see them. If you open them up, you are likely to bombarded eith even more of the same spam you have already been receiving.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Nichole
Never read spam emails. Delete them as soon as you see them. If you open them up, you are likely to bombarded eith even more of the same spam you have already been receiving.

How?

Nichole
How?

I am not exactly sure, but these companies have your email address, and I believe they can tell when you open an email of theirs, and send you more.

Likewise, if you click the 'unsubscribe' button at the bottom of the email, or send them a blank email to get off their mailing list, as they sometimes ask for, they know you have taken the time to send the email, so send you hundreds more.

It's just safer to delete them. smile

Alliance
I don't read Spam emails

There is a delete button.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alliance
There is a delete button.

I like to keep them, to pretend I have friends.

debbiejo

Buy $2.59
Buy $4.52

Me too....... I delete them now cause I've heard and have problems with hackers............they can sneek in this way...........

Email with only like 2 bts (is this how you say it?) after the entry shows.

Geez, I get these all he time.

Nichole
I like to keep them, to pretend I have friends.

You want to be friends with the guy who offers you a penis enlarger? stick out tongue

debbiejo
eek!

HAHAHAHAHA

Nichole
Originally posted by debbiejo
eek!

HAHAHAHAHA

Mustn't be that hard for him to admit! laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by Nichole
You want to be friends with the guy who offers you a penis enlarger? stick out tongue

So I said, didn't I?

ThePittman
It does this for several reasons, one is to help prevent people from blocking key words and also one trick that they use is to send embedded pictures with the spam but no text. Some filters look for this so by adding in the random quotes this make it looks more like a legitimate email.

Raz

Buy $2.59
Buy $4.52

Is it a method of masking their intentions? Any ideas? I know it isn't to make them sound articulate. It has to do with the spam filter, specifally the Bayesian-type filters, that determine whether something is spam based on the words that are used.

botankus
Thanks for the explanation, Raz. For some unknown reason, it was driving me crazy!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.