Romans Vs Zombies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
I know this isn't technically comic related... but there have been many comics featuring both Zombies and Roman Soldiers.... so give it a few days ok...... no expression

The Ancient Roman Army (let's say there are 10,000 of them) Vs 150,000 Zombies (old school Night of the Living Dead style Zombies)

The Zombies obviously lack discipline, speed, teamwork and intelligence... but they vastly outnumber the Romans and need only bite a human to turn them into another Zombie (eventually)

Massive out door clearing, The Romans have had a few days to prepare .... as have the Zombies.... but they were too stupid to actually plan anything

So.... can the Romans win?

Draco69
Depends on their leader. Romans were excellent at war...provided they had a good leader....

K3VIL
Romans at a point used a trap on the battlefield, digging a hole in the ground in which they put wood poles, the enemy army will fall on them cause the hole will be covered with ground, leafs and branches.
With prep time, the Romans will have most of the zombies falling into them, and then finish the enemies with catapults, arrows, spears, and burn the zombies up.

Tassadar
Each soldier would only have to kill 15 zombies, plus cleaning up the other infected soldiers, its almost easy for the Romans on paper.

ExtraMision5555
if the romans dont freaq out, they may be able to win, but it would be pertty scary, and 1 roman per 15 zombies isint the greatest ratio

Soljer
The Romans win if they get Russell Crowe.

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by Soljer
The Romans win if they get Russle Crowe.

lol

K3VIL
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Soljer
Originally posted by K3VIL
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

No it isn't, no expression.

On that note, seriously, the Gladiator Crowe would take all the Zombies simultaneously.

Tron
Originally posted by Scoobless
I know this isn't technically comic related... but there have been many comics featuring both Zombies and Roman Soldiers.... so give it a few days ok...... no expression

If everyone used that logic, there'd be threads like puppies vs spiders, or cops vs sharks, or pirates vs ninjas (if you get what I'm saying).

I'll let it go for a day, but I can't promise that Digi or Paola will do the same.

Scoobless
I'ts also educational.... it may inspire some of these young minds to look up stuff about ancient Rome..... (or more likely to go watch Gladiator again)

H. S. 6
I'ts also educational.... it may inspire some of these young minds to look up stuff about ancient Rome..... (or more likely to go watch Gladiator again)

Scoobless, do you like movies about gladiators?

Scoobless
I don't think I've seen many films about Gladiators.... though the scene in "Life of Brian" was hilarious, where the old skinny guy just runs around in a circle making the big armoured Gladiator chase him until he had a heart attack ... laughing out loud

H. S. 6
You didn't get my joke. cry

bigbran
Originally posted by Tron
If everyone used that logic, there'd be threads like puppies vs spiders, or cops vs sharks, or pirates vs ninjas (if you get what I'm saying).

I'll let it go for a day, but I can't promise that Digi or Paola will do the same. Puppies vs spiders, you say....

Scoobless
Originally posted by H. S. 6
You didn't get my joke. cry

no expression...... what joke? ...... confused

bigbran
I like the third voting section.

TheKahn
hmm

The Roman's do have some serious challenges. In terms of personal weapons the Romans really aren't equipped to deal with zombies. As we all know the only way to make sure you've put a zombie down for good is to destroy his head and one must do this while avoiding being bitten by the zombie in the process. Being from an age without gunpowder, actually destroying a zombie head is rather difficult.

The gladius is primarily a stabbing weapon and too short and using it to attack a zombie's head would allow said zombie to get way too close for comfort. The pilum may allow the Roman's to take some zombies out at a distance but it's far too inaccurate to rack-up a lot of head shots and a direct hit may not be enough to put the zombie down. And the Roman armor leaves a great deal skin unprotected against a zombie bit.

But there is one saving grace in the Roman arsenal: the scutum. The full length shield would allow the Roman's to push the zombies back and knock them to the ground where the next line of troops could behead them.

I think I'd have to go with the Romans here, but just barley. The best use of their prep will be to construct long wooden structures on their right and left flanks to both protect them from being attacked from the sides and also to funnel the zombies in a somewhat strait line to their waiting troops. Thus confined only a relatively small amount of zombies would be able to attack the Romans at any one time. Basically they are borrowing the tactics the Spartans used at Thermopylae against the Persians thus allowing the Roman's to overcome the zombies number advantage. The first line uses their shields to force the zombies to the ground while the following lines incapacitate them.

Deathstroke
If the Romans know how to actually kill a zombie then they should take this. If they don't know you have to destroy the head or that getting bit turns you into one then they might be in trouble.

Scoobless
I think forum rules state that they each get knowledge on the other before the match

grey fox
The Romans could take this , but they would have to barrage the oncoming zombie horde with firey 'shells' from their catapults. Fire always works well on Zombies ...

Otherwise their screwed , because as Khan mentioned the Gladius is a stabbing weapon (Technically it could be considered a long knife) while their armour (aside from the body length shields) isn't particularly good.

Although I'd love to see a group of Romans try the 'tortoise' maneuver on the zombies , but it would be more of a suicide attack then anything.

....wait a minute is this real romans or modern day recreations who dress up as romans confused Because Modern day romans would have the advantage of the pope. Holy 'power' like that usually causes zombies to drop like flies.

Shorty G
Zombies take it, non stop keep on coming, the Romans will tire and die.

Tassadar
Originally posted by TheKahn
hmm

The Roman's do have some serious challenges. In terms of personal weapons the Romans really aren't equipped to deal with zombies. As we all know the only way to make sure you've put a zombie down for good is to destroy his head and one must do this while avoiding being bitten by the zombie in the process. Being from an age without gunpowder, actually destroying a zombie head is rather difficult.

The gladius is primarily a stabbing weapon and too short and using it to attack a zombie's head would allow said zombie to get way too close for comfort. The pilum may allow the Roman's to take some zombies out at a distance but it's far too inaccurate to rack-up a lot of head shots and a direct hit may not be enough to put the zombie down. And the Roman armor leaves a great deal skin unprotected against a zombie bit.

But there is one saving grace in the Roman arsenal: the scutum. The full length shield would allow the Roman's to push the zombies back and knock them to the ground where the next line of troops could behead them.

I think I'd have to go with the Romans here, but just barley. The best use of their prep will be to construct long wooden structures on their right and left flanks to both protect them from being attacked from the sides and also to funnel the zombies in a somewhat strait line to their waiting troops. Thus confined only a relatively small amount of zombies would be able to attack the Romans at any one time. Basically they are borrowing the tactics the Spartans used at Thermopylae against the Persians thus allowing the Roman's to overcome the zombies number advantage. The first line uses their shields to force the zombies to the ground while the following lines incapacitate them.

Pilums could be used like normal spears, they usually used them as javelins because it was more effective.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Tassadar
Pilums could be used like normal spears, they usually used them as javelins because it was more effective.

I know. I just wasn't sure about the effectiveness of them in two areas. One, could the Roman's be accurate enough with them to get a large number of head shots in and two, would a pilum through the head be enough to put a zombie down for the count.

ExtraMision5555
I know. I just wasn't sure about the effectiveness of them in two areas. One, could the Roman's be accurate enough with them to get a large number of head shots in and two, would a pilum through the head be enough to put a zombie down for the count.

it shuold

TheKahn
Originally posted by ExtraMision5555
it shuold

Well it depends on what kind of zombies you're dealing with. For example the Marvel Zombies had to have nearly all of their head destroyed before they'd go down.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6307/capzombieci7.th.png

ExtraMision5555
Well it depends on what kind of zombies you're dealing with. For example the Marvel Zombies had to have nearly all of their head destroyed before they'd go down.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6307/capzombieci7.th.png

in begining he said i think land of the dead zombies? err

not land of the dead
but the zombies wre killable by head trauma

p.s that was a good comic lol

Tassadar

If they knew about zombie, they wouldnt throw them, they would just have the soldiers use them as short spears. A gladius could stab through a zombies skull, human bone gets softer as the body rots. If the black guy in this scan can take a room full with a hammer, a Roman soldier with a gladius could do the same.

Tassadar
in begining he said i think land of the dead zombies? err

not land of the dead
but the zombies wre killable by head trauma

p.s that was a good comic lol

Oldschool LotD, that means the slow weak zombies you could escape from at a quick walk.

TheKahn
Originally posted by Tassadar
If they knew about zombie, they wouldnt throw them, they would just have the soldiers use them as short spears. A gladius could stab through a zombies skull, human bone gets softer as the body rots. If the black guy in this scan can take a room full with a hammer, a Roman soldier with a gladius could do the same.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't see where Scoob stated the type zombie at the start of the thread. embarrasment

Reaper777
The zombies are too slow and dumb to beat the Romans, I like the zombies more, But the romans would win, It wouldnt be easy though.

JohnnyDo3
Zombies wins

Tassadar
if the romans dont freaq out, they may be able to win, but it would be pertty scary, and 1 roman per 15 zombies isint the greatest ratio

The average untrained person with a pickaxe could take 15 zombies, as long as they werent surrounded. Ever played Dead Rising?

jollyjim311
At first it seems that all the advantages go to the Romans, but, it wouldn't go as smoothly on paper. It's not one soldier vs. 15 zombies. It's 10,000 vs. 150,000.

Zombies have quite a few things going for them.
*Resistance to piercing weapons, which seem to be a favorite of the Romans.
*Numbers, so they could get in close.
*If they bite a Roman, he'll become one (in a few hours?).
*Don't tire.
*The whole fear thing.

I think it'd take a strong leader to win this for the Romans, and someone who was good with prep.

Tassadar
Originally posted by jollyjim311
At first it seems that all the advantages go to the Romans, but, it wouldn't go as smoothly on paper. It's not one soldier vs. 15 zombies. It's 10,000 vs. 150,000.

Zombies have quite a few things going for them.
*Resistance to piercing weapons, which seem to be a favorite of the Romans.
*Numbers, so they could get in close.
*If they bite a Roman, he'll become one (in a few hours?).
*Don't tire.
*The whole fear thing.

I think it'd take a strong leader to win this for the Romans, and someone who was good with prep.

You mean like this guy? rolling on floor laughing

Scoobless
Or this guy:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4006/ash20and20boomstickbk3.jpg

galan7777777
the zombies win easily.......they are much harder to kill then the romans, and they vastly outnumber the romans

Brutacus
hmm depends on what type or romans you talk about?
Do they get archers, catapults, horses??
But even with only swords, and a good line up they could take them out.
Just keep chopping, and move back, the zombies are very slow.

Grimm22
Romans win with ease.

Honestly, a better fight would be Spartans (Greek) vs Zombies. That would be a massacere eek!

grey fox
Or this guy:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4006/ash20and20boomstickbk3.jpg

That's an unfair advantage. Ash could kill all those zombies by himself , let alone with all those 'primitive screwheads' helping him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.