Thing vs. Hulk(Not what you think)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

snoopdogg
I have been informed on another forum that Thing is indeed faster than the Hulk is. So here's the scenario.

1. Who wins a footrace?

2. Who wins the combat speed department?

Metalmanx
I would say both probably go to Thing. That's just my opinion.

However, Colossus beats Thing in both of these, too. angel

Accel
Originally posted by snoopdogg
I have been informed on another forum that Thing is indeed faster than the Hulk is. So here's the scenario.

1. Who wins a footrace?

2. Who wins the combat speed department?
It was stated in their first or second fight that Thing was faster so he wins in combat speed department.

Is leaping aloud in the footrace? Eh, even without it, I'd say Hulk wins that.

batdude123
Can Thing really run 400 miles per hour? What the f**k? blink

Metalmanx
Originally posted by batdude123

No. Nowhere near that.

batdude123
Originally posted by Metalmanx
No. Nowhere near that.

Then what possessed Snoop to make a thread with these two in a foot race? What the f**k? wacko Hulk cremes Thing in the foot race.

hulkrulz
Hulk for both

badabing
Then what possessed Snoop to make a thread with these two in a foot race? What the f**k? wacko Hulk cremes Thing in the foot race.
It says that he was informed on another forum that Thing was faster. I also don't believe that Ben win's a foot race with Hulk. Battle speed should go to Ben though.

Soljer
Hulk in a race, but Thing in combat.

Oh, and colossus is faster than both in Combat.

Though I very much doubt he could run four hundred miles per hour.

batdude123
Originally posted by badabing
It says that he was informed on another forum that Thing was faster. I also don't believe that Ben win's a foot race with Hulk. Battle speed should go to Ben though.

They must be on crack then.

badabing
They must be on crack then.
laughing laughing

Metalmanx
I thought Hulk's super speed came from his superhuman jumping ability? I mean, I know he has super strong leg muscles, but I hardly ever see him just run instead of jumping.

Dinalfos
The Hulk's leg muscles are stronger(in proportion to his body), thus he can run faster. As for combat speed.....I don't know. The Hulk has done some crazy shit when it comes to that. But so has Ben...

Lucid Lui
Hulk wins in a foot race, and Thing wins in combat speed.

Nogoodnamesleft
Hulk once hit Quicksilver, who is 5x as fast as sound. Not very fast compared to a DC speedster, but the Thing is still definitely not that fast.

Soljer
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
Hulk once hit Quicksilver, who is 5x as fast as sound. Not very fast compared to a DC speedster, but the Thing is still definitely not that fast.

Your point?

EVERYONE hits quicksilver.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Soljer
Your point?

EVERYONE hits quicksilver.

I was just about to post that. miffed

Accel
*sigh*

'Tis true.

Metalmanx
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft

I must correct you here.

If I recall correctly, Hulk hit Quicksilver many, many years ago. Back when QS's top speed was around 175 mph. Even before the Son of M storyline, Hulk would never in his dreams be able to touch Quicksilver before his depowering.

So, it's not saying much that Hulk was able to hit him really. Especially at the time that it happened.

olympian
I belive the question that arised in the other debate, was who was faster combat wise as in a figth. And Thing is indeed faster. Its been stated in the narration more than once when he both and Hulk wer figthing.

Combat speed goes to Thing.

Running speed (wich is another "thing" altogether, i.e a race) goes to Hulk.

Dinalfos
Originally posted by Metalmanx
I must correct you here.

If I recall correctly, Hulk hit Quicksilver many, many years ago. Back when QS's top speed was around 175 mph. Even before the Son of M storyline, Hulk would never in his dreams be able to touch Quicksilver before his depowering.

So, it's not saying much that Hulk was able to hit him really. Especially at the time that it happened.

I wouldn't say that, since he managed to touch(as in grab on to) a speeding Silver Surfer. He couldn't see him, but he knew he was there. But this was more a matter of Hulk's supernatural accuracy and sense of timing rather than combat speed, I'll give you that.

Jonathanos

When has the Hulk ever run that fast in the comics?

It should also be pointed out that no one has claimed that the Hulk runs faster than the Thing.

K3VIL
Originally posted by Jonathanos
When has the Hulk ever run that fast in the comics?

It should also be pointed out that no one has claimed that the Hulk runs faster than the Thing.
Ultimate Hulk could run at over 200 km/h.
Classic Hulk should be at least that fast.

Jonathanos
Originally posted by K3VIL
Ultimate Hulk could run at over 200 km/h.
Classic Hulk should be at least that fast.

I don't bother with the Ultimates as I hate the "Hulk" of that universe so I don't know whether Ult. Hulk has been shown to run that fast.

Just because the Ultimate Hulk can do it doesn't mean the real Hulk can, though.

snoopdogg
I just want to know who's the faster runner?

Fighting speed I will give to Thing now. But Running I am not sold on yet.

DarkCrawler
Yay, a forum spanning discussion.

Anyway, I've always thought that Hulk runs faster. But thing is faster in combat speed.

snoopdogg
I always thought Hulk was faster also. I actually would like to be proved wrong on this too.

Jonathanos
I always thought Hulk was faster also. I actually would like to be proved wrong on this too.

And that's exactly what the problem is: You don't want to support your claim but you want it accepted as fact unless someone disproves it.

Dinalfos
I don't bother with the Ultimates as I hate the "Hulk" of that universe so I don't know whether Ult. Hulk has been shown to run that fast.

Just because the Ultimate Hulk can do it doesn't mean the real Hulk can, though.

Why the hell not? Ultimate Hulk has essentially the same physique as 616 Hulk, if slightly more realistic.

The Hulk's speed was, as far as I know, never treated as a seperate power(like Quicksilver, who is not exactly a powerhouse), but rather as a logical consequence of his strength. It's very similar to his durability, actually. So bearing this in mind, I'd say 616 Hulk is even faster.

But yeah, you're right. There is (probably) no cold hard on panel evidence that shows him(616 Hulk) running at those speeds. So I guess it remains speculative. But we DO know that he's way faster than a normal human.

snoopdogg
I always thought Ult. Hulk was a depowered version of 616 Hulk.

Jonathanos
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Why the hell not? Ultimate Hulk has essentially the same physique as 616 Hulk, if slightly more realistic.

The Hulk's speed was, as far as I know, never treated as a seperate power(like Quicksilver, who is not exactly a powerhouse), but rather as a logical consequence of his strength. It's very similar to his durability, actually. So bearing this in mind, I'd say 616 Hulk is even faster.

But yeah, you're right. There is (probably) no cold hard on panel evidence that shows him(616 Hulk) running at those speeds. So I guess it remains speculative. But we DO know that he's way faster than a normal human.

Hulk is faster than an average person-- and much faster than most opponents expect-- but he isn't superhumanly fast. He is routinely outpaced by guys like Captain America, Daredevil, Nighthawk, etc.

Ultimate Hulk may be a different story, if his combat speed matches his running speed.

616 Hulk's running speed is entirely speculative. If someone asked me how fast Hulk runs all I'd be able to offer is circumstantial stuff like Hulk never overtaking Thing on foot when Thing retreats.

For the record, PAD was asked about it and as I recall his response was that he didn't think Hulk would be setting land speed records any time soon.

Tassadar
I always thought Ult. Hulk was a depowered version of 616 Hulk.

Thats what almost all Ultimate characters are. They are usually younger too.

Dinalfos
Hulk is faster than an average person-- and much faster than most opponents expect-- but he isn't superhumanly fast. He is routinely outpaced by guys like Captain America, Daredevil, Nighthawk, etc.

Ultimate Hulk may be a different story, if his combat speed matches his running speed.

616 Hulk's running speed is entirely speculative. If someone asked me how fast Hulk runs all I'd be able to offer is circumstantial stuff like Hulk never overtaking Thing on foot when Thing retreats.

For the record, PAD was asked about it and as I recall his response was that he didn't think Hulk would be setting land speed records any time soon.

Like I said, it's speculative. I'm not going into exact numbers. But yes, he SHOULD technically be able to outrun all normal humans(including the peak ones), considering the proportion of his strength and size. If he the writers decide that he isn't, fine, but it wouldn't make sense. The Hulk(or any other humanoid powerhouse) is way beyond human physical perfection.

Combat speed is an entirely different matter. The Hulk is not swift or agile, which is why has trouble hitting smaller oponents. This is also due to his size. But honestly, there's a lot of contradictions, so we can't even be sure about this.

olympian
In the SHC debate, if memory serves well i saw the main question as who in a figth was faster. Hulk or Thing?

Wich is that case, its definatly Ben. The narrations of theyr encounters show it and so does the action.

But somehow (maybe without actually knowing the, why) i always saw Hulk as faster -running- wise. Jonathanos, i dont recall every single scan there, but was one of the issues of the debate that Hulk has never actually outruned Thing, and therefore thats the best evidence one would get?

If so, the question is pretty much answered. Yes, Thing is faster. As much as we know.

Dinalfos
So did Thing outrun Hulk, then? If not, the issue remains debatable.

Btw, what is SHC?

Mindship
Okay, here's the thing (pun intended)...

Just because you're very strong doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be very fast. Two different types of muscles fibers are involved: slow-twitch for strength, fast-twitch for speed. So unless ANY super-powered dude has both fibers enhanced, strength alone ain't gonna win the day.

Of course, comicological biophysics is something else. But even then, being that Ben is so close to Hulk in strength, I could never understand why he couldn't leap or run comparable to the Hulk (this could also be asked of, say, Thor or Black Bolt).

"Well, Hulk has both types of fibers enhanced; Ben (Thor, BB) doesn't."
But then, why is Ben (Thor, BB) faster in combat, if he (they) can't run faster?

rolling on floor laughing

Dinalfos
Originally posted by Mindship
Okay, here's the thing (pun intended)...

Just because you're very strong doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be very fast. Two different types of muscles fibers are involved: slow-twitch for strength, fast-twitch for speed. So unless ANY super-powered dude has both fibers enhanced, strength alone ain't gonna win the day.

Of course, comicological biophysics is something else. But even then, being that Ben is so close to Hulk in strength, I could never understand why he couldn't leap or run comparable to the Hulk (this could also be asked of, say, Thor or Black Bolt).

"Well, Hulk has both types of fibers enhanced; Ben (Thor, BB) doesn't."
But then, why is Ben (Thor, BB) faster in combat, if he (they) can't run faster?

rolling on floor laughing

It's not strength alone, no. But powerhouses like Hulk are physically superhuman in EVERY aspect. The ratio strength-speed may be the same for them as it is for us, but they're both amped. It's all relative.

Or at least it should be wink

As for the leaping, Doc Samson can do it, as can Hercules and Sasquatch and Wonderman. But why not Thor? I don't think he has any need for it. It's been said, though, that Hulk has the strongest leg muscles of any character in the MU, with Sasquatch a close second. As for Ben, well, he's not even close, strength wise, to characters like Hulk, Juggernaut and Thor. So that explains at least his case.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by olympian
In the SHC debate, if memory serves well i saw the main question as who in a figth was faster. Hulk or Thing?

Wich is that case, its definatly Ben. The narrations of theyr encounters show it and so does the action.

But somehow (maybe without actually knowing the, why) i always saw Hulk as faster -running- wise. Jonathanos, i dont recall every single scan there, but was one of the issues of the debate that Hulk has never actually outruned Thing, and therefore thats the best evidence one would get?

If so, the question is pretty much answered. Yes, Thing is faster. As much as we know. Well I like everybody else though Hulk was the faster runner. Basing our opinions off everybody else. So with that being said if nobody is gonna argue Hulk is a faster runner it's been settled I guess and Thing is overall faster than the Hulk.

Case closed. Things faster.

The-Judge
is this a joke?? the thing is god damn slow! hulk wins

Jyppe
"Hulk is fastest! Hulk Speedblitz!1"

snoopdogg
Originally posted by The-Judge
is this a joke?? the thing is god damn slow! hulk wins This is no joke I assure you.

Broly92
Hulk in a race 10/10

Combat Speed 4/10 (4 is depending how mad he is, he would attack wildly but faster)

Grimm22
Hulk can run faster than Ben no expression

However, Hulk is slow in combat, Ben has always used that to his advantage when fighting Hulk

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Grimm22

However, Hulk is slow in combat, Ben has always used that to his advantage when fighting Hulk I said Hulk can run faster than Thing in the other forum and people there cracked a nut. They said being there is no proof that Hulk can run faster it's not true.

So it appears Thing is a faster runner than Hulk is.

Dinalfos
What kind of logic is that?

snoopdogg
What kind of logic is that? Well they showed a scan of Thing catching the Hulk or some sh!t like that and said there isn't any proof that Hulk is the faster runner.

badabing
Well they showed a scan of Thing catching the Hulk or some sh!t like that and said there isn't any proof that Hulk is the faster runner.
Let's see that scan.

Dinalfos
Well they showed a scan of Thing catching the Hulk or some sh!t like that and said there isn't any proof that Hulk is the faster runner.

Oh, I can believe that. But what does that have to do with running speed?

Broly92
There is plenty and where is there prove of Thing being faster

However, Hulk is slow in combat, Ben has always used that to his advantage when fighting Hulk
Hulk (when angry gets faster in his attcaks) not superspeed faster but faster. But Ben has faster combat speed 80% of the time

snoopdogg
Let's see that scan. This is the scan Jonathanos used to prove Thing was indeed the faster of the two in running speed.

ankur29
guys like captain america can run almost 60mphs(mile in just over a minute)
rhino can do 100mph

hulk was clocked running at 300mph thats superspeed ,almost half the speeed of sound

thing would win in terms of mobility speed whilst participating in combat

snoopdogg
Originally posted by ankur29
guys like captain america can run almost 60mphs(mile in just over a minute)
rhino can do 100mph

hulk was clocked running at 300mph thats superspeed ,almost half the speeed of sound

thing would win in terms of mobility speed whilst participating in combat When was Hulk clocked at 300?

Dinalfos
This is the scan Jonathanos used to prove Thing was indeed the faster of the two in running speed.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't prove a thing. As far as I know, it's combat speed.

Several things:

1: who says Hulk was running himself? Thing caught up with him when they were on the same roof. That really is not the same as the two of them going at it in a footrace. I mean, the Hulk may not be a fast enough jumper. Leaping takes some time. For all we know it might be the other way around if Thing was the one running away.

1: Thing may have faster acceleration, but he might (yes, might) still be slower on the long run. After all, this wasn't a straight foot race. Acceleration is part of what makes combat speed more effective.

3: Maybe Thing was trying harder?

This ain't no jab at Thing, just saying.

Accel
This is the scan Jonathanos used to prove Thing was indeed the faster of the two in running speed.
I wouldn't say Hulk was exactly running away from Thing there.
When was Hulk clocked at 300?
I believe that number comes from the movie.

ankur29
this is stated in the respect hulk threaad , also proof of this is why movie writers decided for hulk to run at awesome speeds as he did

another factor that must be considered , i f you watch teh olympics and you notice teh long jumpers they run at speeds of up to 20mph or slight slower if hulks leg muscles are compartively larger he should be able to gain awesome speeds from spriniting which will be aided by his awesome stamina

ankur29
hulk is no slouch though he caught that plane ship which was flying at speeds of over 300mph like a mosquito

he caught caps shield on various occasions

and if he can leap at great speeds why cant he run at superspeed aswell?

snoopdogg
While in my heart I know Hulk is a faster runner but I didn't have any scans to prove it so they said it's not true.

ankur29
catching misslies fast enough
if he can move his hands as fast as 500mph missiles why not his legs ..thats logic

ankur29
jumps in front on a train that is seconds away from crush a boy and travelling at 150mph at the least

ankur29
catches that plane that may move at mach 1 (761mph)

ankur29
cathes cap's sheild just like that

Shorty G
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Hulk wins in a foot race, and Thing wins in combat speed. I love the Avatar and sig.

And Thing wins.

ankur29
hulk speed shown against jack ov hearts

ankur29
hulk leaping at the speed of a nucleur missile?

ankur29
a guy like pre crisis supes recognises hulks speed?

Accel
While in my heart I know Hulk is a faster runner but I didn't have any scans to prove it so they said it's not true.
The main problem there is that Hulk jumps rather than runs. I think the closest I ever came to seeing him run was when he did very small leaps along a small distance.

Jonathanos

Both of these posts are untrue.

The scans I posted were in regard to combat speed. You originally stated:

And you laughed when I said you were wrong about Hulk and Thing's speed. So I posted scans on page 3 of the thread. And you continued to argue the point. Then, on page 7 you suddenly switched to saying:

And I'm sorry but I don't buy that. If that had been the case, you would have pointed it out immediately after the scans were posted.

I did not ever claim that any scan I posted proved either was a faster runner.

Jonathanos
a guy like pre crisis supes recognises hulks speed?

That is not Pre-Crisis Superman.

ankur29
ok the way i see it is getting the official bio form the handbook and checking the power grid , hulk is a 3 and thing is a 2 that expalins it all

someone pls post this i have the ultimate version if you guys want it

ankur29
That is not Pre-Crisis Superman.

is it not?

well i apologize as i seem to have made an error but the statement still stands

Jonathanos
ok the way i see it is getting the official bio form the handbook and checking the power grid , hulk is a 3 and thing is a 2 that expalins it all

someone pls post this i have the ultimate version if you guys want it

Continuity holds more weight than grids. In the Hulk handbook that came out a year or two ago, the grids have the Maestro being less powerful and not as intelligent as the Hulk. Continuity contradicts that.

Continuity has stated the Thing is the faster of the two.

ankur29
i fail to undertstand what type of fast you are comparing them for?
in a fight or a race?
thing can duck , dive dodge more than hulk

hulk can sprint a hell of a lot faster than thing

do you have any scans that show things speed ?

pls post we will see which charecters seped scans determine who is faster

snoopdogg
Continuity holds more weight than grids. In the Hulk handbook that came out a year or two ago, the grids have the Maestro being less powerful and not as intelligent as the Hulk. Continuity contradicts that.

Continuity has stated the Thing is the faster of the two. The problem with that is continuity way too inconsistent.

snoopdogg
It's been settled Thing is a faster fighter than Hulk.

Now it's a footrace.

ankur29
exactly so we must beileve the handbooks and according to the handboks hulk is faster

Jonathanos
i fail to undertstand what type of fast you are comparing them for?
in a fight or a race?
thing can duck , dive dodge more than hulk

hulk can sprint a hell of a lot faster than thing

do you have any scans that show things speed ?

pls post we will see which charecters seped scans determine who is faster

I can't post the links. The board won't allow me to.

We were originally talking about combat speed and I posted scans stating Thing was faster and a couple supporting it visually.

A day or two later, he switched to running speed and I repeatedly said I had no way of proving either was the faster runner. Hulk's sprinting speed is unknown. It's just speculation. If Hulk wants to travel fast, he leaps.

Jonathanos
The problem with that is continuity way too inconsistent.

And I don't understand that mindset at all. Yes, continuity is inconsistent. So are the handbooks. Why do you choose to believe the characters are capable of feats they have never managed or incapable of feats they have managed simply because a Handbook says so?

The Handbooks originally stated the Hulk could not survive a ground zero nuclear detonation. Yet before the first Handbook was printed, the Hulk had already survived several unharmed. So the Hulk couldn't survive nukes even though he had?

The Handbook also stated the Hulk would freeze at temperatures below -250 degrees Fahrenheit and burn at temperatures exceeding 3000 degrees. Hulk had already weathered temperatures below the -250 limit and nukes vastly exceed 3000 degrees. Would you say the Hulk couldn't survive those temperatures even though he had?

ankur29
no but looking towards the handbooks is the only way we can solve who is faster of the two in race

Jonathanos
With so many incorrect statements in the handbook, I put no trust in it.

snoopdogg

We were originally talking about combat speed and I posted scans stating Thing was faster and a couple supporting it visually. You were originally talking about combat speed. As I told you countless times I put combat/running speed into the same category cause they are both movements. Flight is a diff. category.

A day or two later, he switched to running speed and I repeatedly said I had no way of proving either was the faster runner. Hulk's sprinting speed is unknown. It's just speculation. If Hulk wants to travel fast, he leaps. It's generally accepted that Hulk is the faster runner.

snoopdogg
I can't post the links. The board won't allow me to.
Here are the links proving Thing is indeed faster than Hulk.

It's in continuity that Thing is faster than Hulk.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/fantasticfour2512bd3.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Speed-FF112.jpg

Jonathanos
You were originally talking about combat speed. As I told you countless times I put combat/running speed into the same category cause they are both movements. Flight is a diff. category.

"Countless times." You didn't even bring up running speed until two days after the scans were posted. In the meantime, you continued to argue against the Thing being faster and said the scans proved nothing. So I find it dubious that you were talking about running speed all along.

If you had truly meant running speed, why did you not immediately clarify it when I posted combat speed scans? Why have you come here asking who is the faster combatant (as well as runner)? Why have you said that I claimed a scan of mine showed faster running speed when I said no such thing?

Perhaps it is generally accepted here, but that does not mean it can be demonstrated.

I cannot recall any clear evidence that Hulk is the faster runner of the two and I have a not-insignificant amount of Hulk knowledge.

snoopdogg

I did not ever claim that any scan I posted proved either was a faster runner. Your right. That was a huge mistake on my part and I apologize for that.

On page two of this thread I misunderstood what Olympian said.

snoopdogg

If you had truly meant running speed, why did you not immediately clarify it when I posted combat speed scans? Why have you come here asking who is the faster combatant (as well as runner)? Why have you said that I claimed a scan of mine showed faster running speed when I said no such thing?

Let me explain this. When say "speed" I mean running/fighting etc. Both of those actions are considered bodily movements and should fall into the same category, however it that is only my opinion. Flying it totaly different but being none of characters do that it's not important.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by olympian

i dont recall every single scan there, but was one of the issues of the debate that Hulk has never actually outruned Thing, and therefore thats the best evidence one would get?

When Olympian said this I thought he was talking about that scan from MFF #21.

It was my error.

ankur29
just make a poll, taht may bring things to further light

Maestro
I don't think Thing is faster than Hulk in combat tbh, as I haven't seen Thing hit someone as fast as Spiderman in combat, which Hulk was able to do.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong though smile

Jonathanos
FF #25. Narration says that the Thing is more agile and faster moving.

FF #112. Hulk: "Hulk bigger. Hulk stronger." Thing: "Mebbe so... but I'm a heckuva lot faster!"

Grimm22
cathes cap's sheild just like that

PIS no expression

Considering that Cap threw his sheild faster than a missle, its ubsurd to think that Hulk could catch his sheild

Grimm22
Here are the links proving Thing is indeed faster than Hulk.

It's in continuity that Thing is faster than Hulk.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/fantasticfour2512bd3.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Speed-FF112.jpg

eek! rock

HA! In your face Hulk fanboys cool

snoopdogg
eek! rock

HA! In your face Hulk fanboys cool Well It's hard to swallow. But true none the less.

Dinalfos
FF #25. Narration says that the Thing is more agile and faster moving.

FF #112. Hulk: "Hulk bigger. Hulk stronger." Thing: "Mebbe so... but I'm a heckuva lot faster!"

Both can be considered combat speed. Which I'm now convinced goes to Thing. But we STILL haven't seen them engage in a running contest, where both minds are set on one thing alone: getting to a certain point without cheating or beating.

Jonathanos
Both can be considered combat speed. Which I'm now convinced goes to Thing. But we STILL haven't seen them engage in a running contest, where both minds are set on one thing alone: getting to a certain point without cheating or beating.

I haven't claimed it was anything but combat speed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.