Should cartoons be replaced by Anime?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thanos_THOTU
2 Day's ago I started to watch the anime "Great Teacher Onizuka", yesterday I finished the series.
And when I woke up today I turned on the TV. There they are "Ed, Edd an' Eddy"... I watched the program, not for entertainment but merely to compare, after that it was "Cow and Chicken".
In the middle of that I turned off the TV, and thought "What the hell I am watching?"

The cartoons, at least the espisodes I watched, had no mening, no depth, no humor nor any techings at all.
They throw TV's and refrigirators at eachother and it merely hurt them at all. They tried to steal money from a other kid ect.
Besides the ways the characters is drawn is terrible.

Now I compared it to anime, which often have a purpose:
Anime for kids: Pokemon and Digimon - Teach you to belive in yourself, and that friends are important.

Now I don't claim that all anime is better, since I havent seen all.
But for what I've seen, I think some cartoons should be replaced.

PS: I made the exact same topic on an other forum, I just wanted some different oppinions.

calvs
Originally posted by Thanos_THOTU
2 Day's ago I started to watch the anime "Great Teacher Onizuka", yesterday I finished the series.
And when I woke up today I turned on the TV. There they are "Ed, Edd an' Eddy"... I watched the program, not for entertainment but merely to compare, after that it was "Cow and Chicken".
In the middle of that I turned off the TV, and thought "What the hell I am watching?"

The cartoons, at least the espisodes I watched, had no mening, no depth, no humor nor any techings at all.
They throw TV's and refrigirators at eachother and it merely hurt them at all. They tried to steal money from a other kid ect.
Besides the ways the characters is drawn is terrible.

Now I compared it to anime, which often have a purpose:
Anime for kids: Pokemon and Digimon - Teach you to belive in yourself, and that friends are important.

Now I don't claim that all anime is better, since I havent seen all.
But for what I've seen, I think some cartoons should be replaced.

PS: I made the exact same topic on an other forum, I just wanted some different oppinions. It's just like an academy, you eventually graduate onto bigger things. I started out with cartoons when I was little, and then got into anime, and then more mature anime/manga.

Gregory
No.

Pokemon is trash compared to American kids cartoons, incidently. Junniper Lee, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, all the animated DCU stuff, the new Ninja Turtles cartoon, hell, even the old Ninja Turtles cartoon ... god, even American Dragon is less awful then Pokemon. Pokemon has a message? You can spraypaint "believe in yourself" on the trash of the city dump, but it will still be garbage.

Come to think of it, the animated DCU stuff is better then most of what comes out of Japan, period.

calvs
Originally posted by Gregory
No.

Pokemon is trash compared to American kids cartoons, incidently. Junniper Lee, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, all the animated DCU stuff, the new Ninja Turtles cartoon, hell, even the old Ninja Turtles cartoon ... god, even American Dragon is less awful then Pokemon. Pokemon has a message? You can spraypaint "believe in yourself" on the trash of the city dump, but it will still be garbage.

Come to think of it, the animated DCU stuff is better then most of what comes out of Japan, period. There is more to anime than pokemon.

Gregory
I was talking about the part of Thanos' post where he talks about how "Ed Ed and Eddy" is such a terrible kids cartoon, but OMG, Pokemon and Digimon and Japanese kids' cartoons have a message.

coolmovies
No becouse Tom And Jerry still rule

calvs
I was talking about the part of Thanos' post where he talks about how "Ed Ed and Eddy" is such a terrible kids cartoon, but OMG, Pokemon and Digimon and Japanese kids' cartoons have a message. Lol, I see what your saying. You're right. **** pokemon, digimon, and the rest of the kiddies..

chibiruto
some cartoons are good. i work in a place were u get a cartoon frenzy alll day and i dont mind them. but anime is the best thing ever so there

Black Adam
I was talking about the part of Thanos' post where he talks about how "Ed Ed and Eddy" is such a terrible kids cartoon, but OMG, Pokemon and Digimon and Japanese kids' cartoons have a message.

yeah that part made me LOL.

calvs
Originally posted by chibiruto
some cartoons are good. i work in a place were u get a cartoon frenzy alll day and i dont mind them. but anime is the best thing ever so there W3RD

NINJ4_BL4D3
I don't know theres alot of anime that has alot of swearing...but anime is more adult humour.....Like school rumble, thats some funny shit....swearing, mocking, aliens?, fighting........................
Nevermind I'm talking crazy

GO ANIME!!!

Takiko_4ever
hmm i have to say in a way yes, because most cartoons nowadays rarely are as great as the classics, Ed,edd,eddie is in no way as entertaining as tom& jerry was or even Ninja Turtles...heck power rangers were even better than most cartoons we have nowadays...

Blaxican Hydra
Calvs put it well. I think Anime is more for the mature, while most American cartoons are for ages... 8 and below.

Lana
Originally posted by Blaxican Hydra
Calvs put it well. I think Anime is more for the mature, while most American cartoons are for ages... 8 and below.

Well, no. Most of the anime we get in the US that's on TV is incredibly dumbed down, and was initially intended for younger audiences than it is marketed to in the US.

And not all American cartoons are dumb or kiddy, either.

Blaxican Hydra
I didn't say they were.

And I prefer the dumebd down Anime as opposed to the original ones in Japan.

Some of em are REALLY freaky. Like Sailor Moon, for instance...

calvs
Originally posted by Lana
Well, no. Most of the anime we get in the US that's on TV is incredibly dumbed down, and was initially intended for younger audiences than it is marketed to in the US.

And not all American cartoons are dumb or kiddy, either. I don't care is its subbed or dubbed.

Lana
I didn't say they were.

And I prefer the dumebd down Anime as opposed to the original ones in Japan.

Some of em are REALLY freaky. Like Sailor Moon, for instance...

I prefer the unaltered originals...and Sailormoon is tame.

Originally posted by calvs
I don't care is its subbed or dubbed.

I didn't say anything about dubbed or subbed. Just that if it's on the TV in the US, you can guarantee it's been edited to hell and is marketed at an older age group than originally intended.

Blaxican Hydra
Sailor moos freaky enough, what with the middle school girls having crushes on twenty year old guys, and the fact that you can see their naked outlines when they transform.

O heys, lets not forget that one feature length movie they made (Forgot the name of the baddie) were he gropes Serenas (Spelling) breasts in orser to get her amulet/jewel/w/e.

Also the bad guy was gay on top of it.

Ritoshi
Never! The Batman Superman adventures were good.

http://media.putfile.com/Man-dies-Supes-eat-ship

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dtCG1r7d4ZI&search=superman%20series

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XdSoEyquVQk&search=superman%20vs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhsaYQdjQA4&search=superman%20vs

http://media.putfile.com/Supes-kicks-ass

http://media.putfile.com/Superman-Full-Power

These are just some cool fights in the series. I can't post the story in clips obviously, you would just have to watch the rest of the episodes from staret to finish to see stories. The Batman series, Xmen 90s and Spiderman 90s were also the best!.

Heck, Rugrats and stuff like that is entertaining! aswell!!!! BAHAHHAAH *eats bread* BAHHAHAHAH

Lana
Sailor moos freaky enough, what with the middle school girls having crushes on twenty year old guys, and the fact that you can see their naked outlines when they transform.

O heys, lets not forget that one feature length movie they made (Forgot the name of the baddie) were he gropes Serenas (Spelling) breasts in orser to get her amulet/jewel/w/e.

Also the bad guy was gay on top of it.

Middle school in Japan is a different age range than the US, someone in their last year of middle school is usually 14. Mamoru was 18, not 20. And that is incredibly common all over the world.

Wow, you see a naked outline that shows no detail whatsoever and isn't even flesh-colored or anything, it's the end of the world. Don't be such a prude stick out tongue

And, uh, which bad guy are you talking about? There's many bad guys, and I don't recall any of them being gay.

General Kaliero
No way should anime replace American cartoons. Rugrats and Looney Toons are classics. Gargoyles is one of the best animated TV series ever made.

Show me one anime series that has the epic feel and great story of Gargoyles. I haven't found any.

Gregory
Kunzite and Zoisite, presumably. But, yeh, Sailor Moon is tame.

calvs
Originally posted by General Kaliero
No way should anime replace American cartoons. Rugrats and Looney Toons are classics. Gargoyles is one of the best animated TV series ever made.

Show me one anime series that has the epic feel and great story of Gargoyles. I haven't found any.
Almost all Animes are epic O_o

Lana
Kunzite and Zoisite, presumably. But, yeh, Sailor Moon is tame.

Pfft, they weren't gay. Read the manga and you'll see that it's implied that back during the Moon Kingdom and they were Endymion's guardians (along with Jadeite and Nephrite, like how the senshi were/are Serenity's guardians), that they went out with the senshi.

Blaxican Hydra
Middle school in Japan is a different age range than the US, someone in their last year of middle school is usually 14. Mamoru was 18, not 20. And that is incredibly common all over the world.

The world is f*cked up no expression and 14 year olds shouldn't be hitting on even 18 year olds.

Wow, you see a naked outline that shows no detail whatsoever and isn't even flesh-colored or anything, it's the end of the world. Don't be such a prude stick out tongue

Who says its the end fo the world? I just said that to me, it was bad enough. No need to over exxagerate.

And, uh, which bad guy are you talking about? There's many bad guys, and I don't recall any of them being gay.

As I said, I dont remember his name. I'll ask my sister later, she knows the shows better then I do nowadays.

General Kaliero
Almost all Animes are epic O_o

I said name one, not give a vague shout out to the entire genre.

I like a lot of anime, but there are some damn good American cartoons that anime could not possibly hope to replace.

Coleman Trebor
Like the Batman and Superman cartoons. Blwos ANY Anime Ive ever seen away. Well...maybe except for G Gundum.

calvs
I said name one, not give a vague shout out to the entire genre.

I like a lot of anime, but there are some damn good American cartoons that anime could not possibly hope to replace.
Bleach, Naruto, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Stay night, Samurai Deeper, Samurai Champloo, battle royale, Wolf's rain DBZ(MOST EPIC OF ALL). aLOT OF OTHERS, JUST DON'T HAVE TIME TO LIST ALMOST EVERY OTHER ANIME CREATED.

Takiko_4ever
don't forget Full Metal Alchemist^^ great storylines without all the episodes being 'fight for good' end of episode...There's actually a meaning to each fight instead of getting rid of the bed guy until the next time

Oh and the guy in the Sailormoon movie you guys are talking about is Fiore, an alien who shared a deep friendship with Darien...i don't think there was more besides the fact that he thought Serena was getting the way of their friendship^^

Gregory
Naruto ... Sailor Moon ... DBZ(MOST EPIC OF ALL).

Your tastes man, they ... oh dear. Well, you're entitled to your opinions. But I wonder what your definition of "epic" is?

General Kaliero
Your tastes man, they ... oh dear. Well, you're entitled to your opinions.

yes

FMA is my current favorite anime series, and Cowboy Bebop manages to impress, as does Trigun.

As for the others... DBZ? laughing

calvs
Your tastes man, they ... oh dear. Well, you're entitled to your opinions. But I wonder what your definition of "epic" is? Hmmmm... Gee, I'm positive you're a dim wit. My def. of epic is that that portrays unrealistic setting. Those anime's fit every description of epic there is, bud. wink

General Kaliero
Your definition of epic is flawed, then. The word you're looking for is "fantastical."

A literal epic is an extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero, such as the Viking tales that would take many nights to tell in full.

Nowadays, the word epic is used for stories that have a similar feel or length, befitting the original term. Gargoyles is epic, because it tells the majestic story of a group of gargoyles and their actions over a span of years, in a serious, rooted style. Trigun is epic for much the same reason.

Bleach, Naruto, DBZ... they lack that essence of grandeur.

Gregory
"Dimwit." Very nice. As has been mentioned, your defintion of "epic" is incorrect; even if it was correct, I think you'd find that most Shoujo animes are still not "epic"; lots and lots of real-world romance type stuff.

calvs
Your definition of epic is flawed, then. The word you're looking for is "fantastical."

A literal epic is an extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero, such as the Viking tales that would take many nights to tell in full.

Nowadays, the word epic is used for stories that have a similar feel or length, befitting the original term. Gargoyles is epic, because it tells the majestic story of a group of gargoyles and their actions over a span of years, in a serious, rooted style. Trigun is epic for much the same reason.

Bleach, Naruto, DBZ... they lack that essence of grandeur.
LMAO AT THIS ^^

Epic
Adjective

1. Surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale; "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture".

2. Constituting or having to do with or suggestive of a literary epic; "epic tradition".
Noun

1. A long stroy telling of a hero's deeds.

Seeing as this is the definition from my websters dictionary, NOT SOME ONLINE DICTIONARY, Every instance I noted is indeed fitting of the word "epic".

And why the **** did you say "essense of granduer"? It doesn't make you look smarter when the pile of belligerent Bullshit you posted turns out to be matter-of-factly untrue. Next time present facts if you want to sell a person.

Calvin

Gregory
...your original definition was that "that portrays unrealistic setting." Notice how that's completely different from any of the definitions you just quoted? No? Well, that's okay; everybody else does.

calvs
...your original definition was that "that portrays unrealistic setting." Notice how that's completely different from any of the definitions you just quoted? No? Well, that's okay; everybody else does. And I stand by the fact that it also means unrealistic. Read the definition again, and you will come to find it is synonical to unrealistic. Notice how the original point of debate was if anime is epic? No, I doubt you can think that far back. You guys got all hotheaded thinking you were all right, when you spent your precious time being wrong. Accept your loss and move on. No shame in that.

Gregory
You can stand by it all you like, but that won't make it true. I especially like how you've insulted someone in each of your last three posts, but General Kaliero and I--who have been completely polite--are "hot headed."

calvs
You can stand by it all you like, but that won't make it true. I especially like how you've insulted someone in each of your last three posts, but General Kaliero and I--who have been completely polite--are "hot headed." First of all, You take everything litterally. Second of all, No standing by it won't make it true, but going to recognized resource books and dictionaries will =\

You can try to deny it all you want, but it won't change the facts.

General Kaliero
As can you apparently, judging by your last several posts.

If we're dealing in dictionaries and definitions, why should we take a comment as anything but literally? Literal meaning is the base of of definition, after all.

If you'd care to look again, you'll notice that my definition of the term "epic" is in concordance with yours, however different the wording may be. The hallmarks of something worthy of being called epic include a seriousness in telling, a story that can hold one's attention throughout, and, as a said, an essence of grandeur, of majesty and great things. Epics are about grand people who change entire lands.

I fail to see, even under your Webster's definition (which is, by the way, not the "official" definition, as no such thing exists), how bulging men with bad haircuts that compare "power levels" can be deemed as epic.

The term "epic" is by no means synonymous with "unrealistic." The original epics were about real men who did things worthy of being retold to generations to come. It's the way of such things to eventually pass into the definition of legend, but that's hardly solid ground for your alleged synonymy.

Also, do you have a problem with my vocabulary? What's your issue with me using words I understand and know how to use properly?

Gregory
My dictionary (Oxford English) says that an epic is a certain form of poetry, or a work of prose that has the same elements as that poetry.

Hey. Do you like yaoi? Japanese gay romance comics? No, I'm not questioning your sexuality. I ask because there's published in English a cute little yaoi book called "Lost Boys." A sort of Peter Pan type story.

--Surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale; "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture"? No; this one doesn't apply to books or TV shows.

--Constituting or having to do with or suggestive of a literary epic; "epic tradition"? Nope; Japanes yaoi comics are hardly immerced in a literary epic tradition.

--A long stroy telling of a hero's deeds? No; it's less then 200 pages.

--portrays unrealistic setting? Yes, certainly. Flying boys, fairies, and pirates.

Is Lost Boys an epic story? By your dictionary definition, no. By your first definition, yes. In my opinion? No. In your opinion...?

Why or why not?

calvs
As can you apparently, judging by your last several posts.

If we're dealing in dictionaries and definitions, why should we take a comment as anything but literally? Literal meaning is the base of of definition, after all.

If you'd care to look again, you'll notice that my definition of the term "epic" is in concordance with yours, however different the wording may be. The hallmarks of something worthy of being called epic include a seriousness in telling, a story that can hold one's attention throughout, and, as a said, an essence of grandeur, of majesty and great things. Epics are about grand people who change entire lands.

I fail to see, even under your Webster's definition (which is, by the way, not the "official" definition, as no such thing exists), how bulging men with bad haircuts that compare "power levels" can be deemed as epic.

The term "epic" is by no means synonymous with "unrealistic." The original epics were about real men who did things worthy of being retold to generations to come. It's the way of such things to eventually pass into the definition of legend, but that's hardly solid ground for your alleged synonymy.

Also, do you have a problem with my vocabulary? What's your issue with me using words I understand and know how to use properly? Once again, More belligerent Bullshit =\

Dealing with post chroneology doesn't have the slightest thing do do with dictionary definitions, now does it? Once again, you take things too literally when my post is intended for someone who can think outside the literal meaning. If you can not do that, I suggest you never debate again.

Heh, Your definition of epic is seriously flawed. By using your definition, Lord of the Rings isn't an epic, because it didn't hold my attention? NO. What you are saying is narrow-minded view of Epic-ness. Epics have no requirement for "grandeur...majesty...great things", while even though the animes I have listed above fit them.

And yes, Websters dictionary is "official" as you can get. If you don't think so, maybe you should make your own. I'm sure it would be quite amusing.

Legend=unrealistic, my friend.

No problem with your vocabulary, but I was just letting you know, It doesn't impress me.

Calvin

calvs
My dictionary (Oxford English) says that an epic is a certain form of poetry, or a work of prose that has the same elements as that poetry.

Hey. Do you like yaoi? Japanese gay romance comics? No, I'm not questioning your sexuality. I ask because there's published in English a cute little yaoi book called "Lost Boys." A sort of Peter Pan type story.

--Surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale; "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture"? No; this one doesn't apply to books or TV shows.

--Constituting or having to do with or suggestive of a literary epic; "epic tradition"? Nope; Japanes yaoi comics are hardly immerced in a literary epic tradition.

--A long stroy telling of a hero's deeds? No; it's less then 200 pages.

--portrays unrealistic setting? Yes, certainly. Flying boys, fairies, and pirates.

Is Lost Boys an epic story? By your dictionary definition, no. By your first definition, yes. In my opinion? No. In your opinion...?

Why or why not? LMAO! Did I list Yaoi in my list of epic animes? no. So if you're going to bring irrelevant elements into this debate, then I'm not going to waste my time on you, But I will fill out your sheet.

Dragonball Z

--Surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale; "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture"? Very much so. "Goku - The earth's savior" no expression

--Constituting or having to do with or suggestive of a literary epic; "epic tradition"? Maybe not in the american culture, but in the asian, most definately.

--A long stroy telling of a hero's deeds? 26 volumes, each over 200 pages. Yes.

--portrays unrealistic setting? People destroying planets? absorbing other beings? Yes

Is Lost Boys an epic story? By my defintion: YES, By yours: YES.

You're only making yourself look stupid by doing this. And have fun with your Yaoi wink

Calvin

Lana
DBZ is only long because every single episode is exactly the same and they drag out something that could have been done in 2 episodes to last 50-60.

And no bashing on yaoi stick out tongue

Gregory
So your definition of "Epic" includes 100-page romance comics. I think that pretty much tells me everything I needed to know.

calvs
So your definition of "Epic" includes 100-page romance comics. I think that pretty much tells me everything I needed to know.
It might If I said I agreed your little requirement checkilst was a befitting definition. Don't try to con me mate, I'm not dumb. And If you're referring to fate/stay night, You're right, my bad(on that one only).

Gregory
You said that by your definition, Lost Boys was an epic comic.

And my "little requirement checklist" was the dictionary definition that you provided.

calvs
You said that by your definition, Lost Boys was an epic comic.

And my "little requirement checklist" was the dictionary definition that you provided. Well, that's an error on my part, but common sense should tell you I was talking about dragonball Z

Kayne Archeron
both sides have their good examples: american animation had such classics as Watership Down and Secret of NIMH, whereas Anime has triumphs like Akira and Vampire Hunter D

StyleTime
There's bad cartoons (Ed, Edd, and Eddy) just like there's bad anime (Inuyasha). I'd personally prefer a mix of good cartoons and good anime. Neither should replace the other as neither has any real superiority over the other.

sailormoon
No, cartoons should not be replaced by anime. They're both special in there own way. Point Blank.

And, you above me, Inuyasha is not a bad show at all. You could have at least said something like Bobobo-bo-bobobo or something...

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by sailormoon
No, cartoons should not be replaced by anime. They're both special in there own way. Point Blank.

And, you above me, Inuyasha is not a bad show at all. You could have at least said something like Bobobo-bo-bobobo or something...

name one good thing about Inuyasha

StyleTime
I'm going with Kayne on this one. Please tell us how Inuyasha is not bad sailormoon. Repetitive fights, almost no plot advancement, Inuyasha is a lame character, Kagome is an unreasonable character(annoying also) and the series has gone on far longer than it should have. Don't even get me started on how terrible a character Naraku is. He's Thanos, only even lamer.

Bobobo-bo-bobobo gets points for originality

calvs
Originally posted by StyleTime
I'm going with Kayne on this one. Please tell us how Inuyasha is not bad sailormoon. Repetitive fights, almost no plot advancement, Inuyasha is a lame character, Kagome is an unreasonable character(annoying also) and the series has gone on far longer than it should have. Don't even get me started on how terrible a character Naraku is. He's Thanos, only even lamer.

Bobobo-bo-bobobo gets points for originality
I concur.

Bardock42
DBZ is only long because every single episode is exactly the same and they drag out something that could have been done in 2 episodes to last 50-60.

Yeah, I agree, that was done pretty badly...the Manga is far superiour.

calvs
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, I agree, that was done pretty badly...the Manga is far superiour.
I agree that the manga was better, but not that the Anime sucked or anything.

Thanos_THOTU

Yeah:
In todays episode of Dragonball Z: Majin Boo have gotten his ass kicked for 19 whole episodes by Gohan. While Goten and Torankusu have standeed around for aproximate fourty hours, with out doing a shit. -> Intro.

Darth Kreiger
No, Anime should NEVER replace traditional cartoons(except the bad ones)

Inuyasha = WTF? When will you end this? The first seasons were alright, but they're dragging it on, it's still a running series in Japan(might not be in recent years, I stopped paying attention to it a long time ago) Why won't they just kill the bad guy and be done with it, or at least kill him and make a new bad guy

Bad Anime is starting to take over, all regular cartoons are being replaced with things like BoBoBoBoBO(say that 50 times more) that have no plot whatsoever, and made on stupid humor. I think there needs to be less Anime, and any that does get a spot, should have to go through screening by people that arn't on drugs(Who the hell would let BoBo into American Television)

Gregory
DBZ is awful. As for InuYasha...

Takahashi cannot end series worth a damn. "When will you end it," you ask? Well, there are 167 episodes (the anime ended early; the manga is still being written. And when I say the anime ended early, I don't mean they bring it to a conclussion early; they just end the damn thing without resolving the plot), just surpassing Ranma 1/2's 161 episodes, not quite reaching Urusei Yatsura's 195 episodes, but dwarfing Maison Ikkoku's mere 96 episodes. Hey, everyone, let's sing the Talentless hack song!

calvs
DBZ is awful. As for InuYasha...

Takahashi cannot end series worth a damn. "When will you end it," you ask? Well, there are 167 episodes (the anime ended early; the manga is still being written. And when I say the anime ended early, I don't mean they bring it to a conclussion early; they just end the damn thing without resolving the plot), just surpassing Ranma 1/2's 161 episodes, not quite reaching Urusei Yatsura's 195 episodes, but dwarfing Maison Ikkoku's mere 96 episodes. Hey, everyone, let's sing the Talentless hack song!
H00RAI FOR TEH L0JIQ D00D. erm

Gregory
Excuse me?

calvs
Excuse me?
"DBZ is awful"
At least put "IMO" or "IMHO" if you don't want people to think you're an idiot.

Bardiel13
For the love of god, no! You weeaboos have to get a life! I mean, sure I love Japanese cartoons, but I also like cartoons from America and such. Animated sitcoms, cult classics, classic BATMAN for God's sake! A lot of them are intended for more mature audiences. Stereotyping American cartoons to be kiddy shows is asinine.
The great thing about animation is the variety of styles that can be applied. If everything was just anime-style, then that would take the fun out of it.

Gregory
"DBZ is awful"

No. Why the hell should I? Did you say IMO opinion when you said the manga is better then the anime? People state opinions like that all the time; it's something you're going to have to learn to deal with.

calvs
No. Why the hell should I? Did you say IMO opinion when you said the manga is better then the anime? People state opinions like that all the time; it's something you're going to have to learn to deal with. The manga is better than the Anime. There is actually a way to prove it. erm

Quit being a baby, or don't post on this forum. Simple as that.

Gregory
You cannot prove that the manga is better then the anime. You've gone from being simply silly to being completely absurd. But I'm glad you've kept up your trent of insulting people in all your posts; in this wild and uncertain world, it's good to see some things remain constant.

sailormoon
Oh, forget all of you!!! That is all your opinion! Yes I understand it's long and gets a little repetitive, but Inuyasha is in no way a flat out bad show! And Inuyasha as a character is definitely not lame! And when it ends, it'll just have a bigger bang!

Gregory
See, calvs? She figured out that we were just stating our opinion all on her own, with no help from us.

She's getting inexplicably emotional about those opinions, and she apparently didn't read the part of my post where I mentioned that InuYasha doesn't have a proper ending, but still ... vindication!

sailormoon
Whatever. That's why I hate typing things, people can't tell what you mean...I wasn't getting emotional at all. I was also stating my opinion.

And, it sounded like you meant animes such as Inuyasha didn't have proper endings therefore you were assuming Inuyasha would too. I guess you just didn't make that as clear as you could have. smile

Thanos_THOTU
"DBZ is awful"
WTF are you saying, of course he can say whatever he wants.
Ever heard of free speach?

calvs
You cannot prove that the manga is better then the anime. You've gone from being simply silly to being completely absurd. But I'm glad you've kept up your trent of insulting people in all your posts; in this wild and uncertain world, it's good to see some things remain constant. If You don't Explain Why you think It is awful, Then how do you expect anybody to take you seriously? =\

Lyna303
anyone used to watch the old '90's animated x men series on fox...i think that animation was really good...and it wasn't anime...

Gregory
If You don't Explain Why you think It is awful, Then how do you expect anybody to take you seriously? =\

I was just making an offhand commen, not stating my damned graduate thesis. If you really want to know my problems with DBZ, you can read them in the "worst anime ever" thread (no, I don't really think it's the worst show ever), but I don't particularly want to derail this thread any further.

ShinobiRikari
It's a progression, okay. American cartoons, psuedoanime/better cartoons, dubbed anime, subbed anime.

And you should expect that. Anime has more detail, because... um... how did my teach explain this. Most Asian cultures focus on the big picture first and then narrow it down to something key, thus they build up a story behind their animations. America likes to focus on one little thing and not expand, thus the absence of a plot.

Gregory
Except that it's simply not true.

Lana
The main differences between anime and American cartoons is that 1) art style and 2) anime tend to have overreaching plots, while most American cartoons the plot lasts a single episode, maybe two, and that's it.

Remember that anime are cartoons.

The thing with anime is that a majority of what is dubbed and shown on TV in the US is crap. Yeah, we do get some good stuff here, like Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun, but the really good anime tend to be one season and that's it. Then you get stuff like DBZ and Naruto and Inuyasha that just goes on for-freaking-ever and isn't even that good. Also, most anime shown in the US is, as I've mentioned, dumbed down and edited and marketed at a much older age group than it was originally intended to be.

But the fundemental differences between anime and American cartoons are very few, and one is never going to replace the other.

StyleTime
Oh, forget all of you!!! That is all your opinion! Yes I understand it's long and gets a little repetitive, but Inuyasha is in no way a flat out bad show! And Inuyasha as a character is definitely not lame! And when it ends, it'll just have a bigger bang!
Please tell us how Inuyasha himself is not lame. We'd all love to hear it.

Oh and well said Lana.

Kayne Archeron
If You don't Explain Why you think It is awful, Then how do you expect anybody to take you seriously? =\

we still haven't heard you explain why manga is always better than anime no matter who you are

american cartoons are going through a major BE MORE ANIME-LIKE phase, but hopefully Don Bluth will make some amazing come-back and change that

calvs
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
we still haven't heard you explain why manga is always better than anime no matter who you are

american cartoons are going through a major BE MORE ANIME-LIKE phase, but hopefully Don Bluth will make some amazing come-back and change that The Battles aren't ragged out, they are more to the point. The name of the characters are more original. WAYYY better Better characters (more depth) More to the story. I can go on forever, but I'm busy.

Takiko_4ever

american cartoons are going through a major BE MORE ANIME-LIKE phase, but hopefully Don Bluth will make some amazing come-back and change that

this is verty true, they are trying to use what's in to get ratings up

Lana

Manga's usually better than the anime because the manga is more concise, to the point, the art is better, and 9 times of 10 the manga is written first and the anime made later.

And anime is really popular now, so a lot of American cartoons are mimicing the style. Though no matter how much Teen Titans or Avatar look like anime, they're not.

Little trivia fact: when Osamu Tezuka was making Astroboy, which first really created the style that anime takes today, he based it a lot off of Disney-style animation. Compare Disney-style to anime-style, and you'll see a lot of similarities.

The Battles aren't ragged out, they are more to the point. The name of the characters are more original. WAYYY better Better characters (more depth) More to the story. I can go on forever, but I'm busy.

Names being more original? Rarely are names of characters changed between the manga and anime, unless it's an English translation and the company who dubbed the anime changed the names (manga are not edited nearly as heavily as anime are).

sailormoon
Please tell us how Inuyasha himself is not lame. We'd all love to hear it.

Oh and well said Lana.

Why don't you explain to me how he IS lame?... wink

calvs
Why don't you explain to me how he IS lame?... wink Watch the anime.

@Lana - Krillin's name is Kiririn in the manga, and Tien's name is Tenshinhan.

sailormoon
laughingThat was a pretty good one. Funny actually. But I'm afraid I've already done that so... roll eyes (sarcastic)

calvs
Well, In your case, Reconsider your sanity.

Bardiel13
Ready yourselves, men! A flame war's a-brewin!

Gregory
Of course they are. You can just skim through the wretched things faster when you're reading the manga.

StyleTime
Why don't you explain to me how he IS lame?... wink
I did that in my other post....which you keep coneveniently avoiding. I'd also like to add to that though. Inuyasha is an idiot, unadaptable, horribly brazen, and he should have died each an every time he engaged Sesshomaru in battle.

Kagome may the only one worse than he is.

Now please, address the question with an actual answer this time. You're not making a very strong case here.

calvs
Of course they are. You can just skim through the wretched things faster when you're reading the manga. No they aren't no

Lana
Watch the anime.

@Lana - Krillin's name is Kiririn in the manga, and Tien's name is Tenshinhan.

That's because they translated it into the literal romaji. The names were always intended to be Krillin and Tien, but you can't write them like that in Japanese. Just like my name would be written as Arana or Ayana in Japanese, yours would be Karubin, etc. And it's written as Kuririn, anyway stick out tongue

Of course they are. You can just skim through the wretched things faster when you're reading the manga.

No, they are actually much much shorter in the manga. What covers 60 episodes in the anime is usually done with in an issue or two of the manga.

sailormoon
Well, In your case, Reconsider your sanity.

(goodness I gave you a complement...)
Done! big grin I feel the same way. Sorry! stick out tongue

I did that in my other post....which you keep coneveniently avoiding. I'd also like to add to that though. Inuyasha is an idiot, unadaptable, horribly brazen, and he should have died each an every time he engaged Sesshomaru in battle.

Kagome may the only one worse than he is.

Now please, address the question with an actual answer this time. You're not making a very strong case here.

And all I've seen you seen you say is Inuyasha is lame. Before now, you hadn't explained yourself at all, there was no need for me to refer to any of your previous posts. Again, your opinion of the characters are, your opinions. End of story. For example, I like the fact that he's so brazen, well, that's my opinion. I really don't see the point in telling you how he's not lame, because your opinions are that he is, and mine's is that he's not, and y'all are getting like, majorly upset, when I'm the one defending a character and I'm calm. I like how Inuyasha pretends to be really heartless when he's actually pretty soft inside, his attitude, how he argues with like, everyone, and, I like the romance between him and Kagome. stick out tongue These are some reasons I like him, and if you don't,...so. stick out tongue

StyleTime

And all I've seen you seen you say is Inuyasha is lame. Before now, you hadn't explained yourself at all, there was no need for me to refer to any of your previous posts. Again, your opinion of the characters are, your opinions. End of story. For example, I like the fact that he's so brazen, well, that's my opinion. I really don't see the point in telling you how he's not lame, because your opinions are that he is, and mine's is that he's not, and y'all are getting like, majorly upset, when I'm the one defending a character and I'm calm. I like how Inuyasha pretends to be really heartless when he's actually pretty soft inside, his attitude, how he argues with like, everyone, and, I like the romance between him and Kagome. stick out tongue These are some reasons I like him, and if you don't,...so. stick out tongue
I told you exactly what was wrong with the show in a previous post, so I did explain myself. Your liking the fact that the show sucks doesn't make it good. I like Sailor Moon, but I still recognize that it isn't the greatest show. Inuyasha is a stock character, face it.

What's not lame about being an idiot?

Oh, and I am not upset at all. I don't have anything against you, and we are just discussing something. Why would I be upset?

calvs

Ultraman Baltan
I don't like anime, so I would say no to your question.

sccch
I think anime should stay and live forever. Even though they can take BoBoBo-BoBo (something like that) off the air. I LOVE Inuyasha,I think it's the best anime.

Takiko_4ever
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan

why?

boobsmagee

boobsmagee
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan

uh if u dont like anime wtf ru doing here..... What the f**k?

sailormoon

calvs
Um, yeah, I did read the thread. It's your opinion he's flat, but yeah, maybe I do like it. I already said it's slow, which is irritating, but I'm saying there's no way someone can just flat out call Inuyasha a bad show. It has its flaws(repetitiveness) and its good points (the characters and overall storyline). End of story.

Final Verdict: Your opionion is indeed your opinion. smile

P.S. All ST said was Inuyasha was a lame character. He didn't in any way explain how he, as a character was lame. Why don't you try reading the thread. Thanks. smile Hmmm..
If you read the thread, then how did you still urge Styletime to spout his opinion of the show and tell how it was a bad show? Don't try to cover lies with even more lies, as in the end you're left looking like an oaf. You're saying the characters are it's good points?
You make me laugh. no expression
You say You like that Inuyasha is a flat character,, but yet you say that's one of the strong points of the show, thus contradicting yourself and ruining your whole case thus far.

I know my opinion is my opinion. Example: Our opinion of Hitler is that he was a monster, a bad person. You saying Inuyasha is good, is like the Nazis Saying Hitler was a genius.

P.S. Why don't you even look at YOUR OWN POSTS to see what you asked him and then look at the context of his post that I quoted. I'm Sure It'll help ya out wink

-Calvin

sailormoon
Hmmm..
If you read the thread, then how did you still urge Styletime to spout his opinion of the show and tell how it was a bad show? Don't try to cover lies with even more lies, as in the end you're left looking like an oaf. You're saying the characters are it's good points?
You make me laugh. no expression
You say You like that Inuyasha is a flat character,, but yet you say that's one of the strong points of the show, thus contradicting yourself and ruining your whole case thus far.

I know my opinion is my opinion. Example: Our opinion of Hitler is that he was a monster, a bad person. You saying Inuyasha is good, is like the Nazis Saying Hitler was a genius.

P.S. Why don't you even look at YOUR OWN POSTS to see what you asked him and then look at the context of his post that I quoted. I'm Sure It'll help ya out wink

-Calvin

Sorry, I looked at my posts too. smile And umm, I don't remember "covering up lies with more lies" (as you dramatically put itsmile.) I urged StyleTime to "spout" his opinion of Inuyasha as a character. Yeah. And I didn't mean I liked he was flat, I meant I liked the way he is whether you think he's flat or not thus not contradicting myself, thus not ruining myself thus far. wink And, ummm, glad I tickled you I guess, but yeah, as far as I'm concerned the characters are great! Most of them anyways... big grin

calvs

And all I've seen you seen you say is Inuyasha is lame. Before now, you hadn't explained yourself at all, there was no need for me to refer to any of your previous posts. Again, your opinion of the characters are, your opinions. End of story. For example, I like the fact that he's so brazen, well, that's my opinion. I really don't see the point in telling you how he's not lame, because your opinions are that he is, and mine's is that he's not, and y'all are getting like, majorly upset, when I'm the one defending a character and I'm calm. I like how Inuyasha pretends to be really heartless when he's actually pretty soft inside, his attitude, how he argues with like, everyone, and, I like the romance between him and Kagome. stick out tongue These are some reasons I like him, and if you don't,...so. stick out tongue In this post you wanted him to explain why he doesn't lik Inuyasha. He did in the post I quoted. no expression
Sorry, I looked at my posts too. smile And umm, I don't remember "covering up lies with more lies" (as you dramatically put itsmile.) I urged StyleTime to "spout" his opinion of Inuyasha as a character. Yeah. And I didn't mean I liked he was flat, I meant I liked the way he is whether you think he's flat or not thus not contradicting myself, thus not ruining myself thus far. wink And, ummm, glad I tickled you I guess, but yeah, as far as I'm concerned the characters are great! Most of them anyways... big grin
SELF-PWNT

sailormoon
In this post you wanted him to explain why he doesn't lik Inuyasha. He did in the post I quoted. no expression

SELF-PWNT

No, he said HOW the show was lame, not the character. All he said was Inuyasha was lame.

And, what the hell is SELF-PWNT?

calvs
No, he said HOW the show was lame, not the character. All he said was Inuyasha was lame.

And, what the hell is SELF-PWNT? You made such a stupid post you pwned yourself.

StyleTime
No, before, you didn't say how Inuyasha as a character was bad until recently. And obviously if I don't think he's an idiot, I'm not going to think he's lame. You disliking the show, doesn't make it bad.

Glad to know you're not upset by the way.
smile
Inuyasha IS the show for crying loud. A large majority of the show's shortcomings are his fault. By telling these shortcomings, I told how his character is lame. Also, his intelligence isn't even up for debate no matter how much you may like him. He isn't very bright at all. Not even the biggest fangirl can refute that.

You're just reversing everything I say instead of actually coming up with anything. I dislike the show BECAUSE it's bad. I don't think the show is bad because I dislike like it. You're getting the order confused. Like I said, you have to be able to put personal bias aside. I said I like Sailor Moon , but I'll admit it was flawed. I even find Bobobo...etc entertaining, but I know the show isn't good. Just because you like Inuyasha doesn't mean you can't admit it's bad. I won't mock you for it. I promise.

Um, yeah, I did read the thread. It's your opinion he's flat, but yeah, maybe I do like it. I already said it's slow, which is irritating, but I'm saying there's no way someone can just flat out call Inuyasha a bad show. It has its flaws(repetitiveness) and its good points (the characters and overall storyline). End of story.

Final Verdict: Your opionion is indeed your opinion. smile

P.S. All ST said was Inuyasha was a lame character. He didn't in any way explain how he, as a character was lame. Why don't you try reading the thread. Thanks. smile
Sigh. So you admit Inuyasha is lame. Great. It's ok if you still like the show. Just admit that it's bad though. You just happen to enjoy Kagome's and Inuyasha's relationship like you said before.Originally posted by sailormoon
And, ummm, glad I tickled you I guess, but yeah, as far as I'm concerned the characters are great! Most of them anyways... big grin
Please... for the love of Athena.....don't tell me you think Kagome is a good character too.... Please. I mean Inuyasha and Naraku are bad....but Kagome?

The-Judge
respect cow & chicken! but yeah, there nearly no good cartoons anymore...

calvs
Inuyasha IS the show for crying loud. A large majority of the show's shortcomings are his fault. By telling these shortcomings, I told how his character is lame. Also, his intelligence isn't even up for debate no matter how much you may like him. He isn't very bright at all. Not even the biggest fangirl can refute that.

You're just reversing everything I say instead of actually coming up with anything. I dislike the show BECAUSE it's bad. I don't think the show is bad because I dislike like it. You're getting the order confused. Like I said, you have to be able to put personal bias aside. I said I like Sailor Moon , but I'll admit it was flawed. I even find Bobobo...etc entertaining, but I know the show isn't good. Just because you like Inuyasha doesn't mean you can't admit it's bad. I won't mock you for it. I promise.

Sigh. So you admit Inuyasha is lame. Great. It's ok if you still like the show. Just admit that it's bad though. You just happen to enjoy Kagome's and Inuyasha's relationship like you said before.
Please... for the love of Athena.....don't tell me you think Kagome is a good character too.... Please. I mean Inuyasha and Naraku are bad....but Kagome? How can you try to reason with someone that says this:
Oh. My. Land!!!!!!!!!!!! The next anime convention down here is Anime Weekend Atlanta!!!! And guess who's gonna be there?! Travis Willingham!!!!!!!!! Roy's voice actor!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I'm REALLY gonna try to go!!!! And Ed's voice actor'll be there again!! *sigh* Roy's voice is so deep and sexy...If I meet him maybe I can give him a random paragraph and ask him to just, read it out loud to me... love stick out tongue
no expression

sailormoon

Sigh. So you admit Inuyasha is lame. Great. It's ok if you still like the show. Just admit that it's bad though. You just happen to enjoy Kagome's and Inuyasha's relationship like you said before.
Please... for the love of Athena.....don't tell me you think Kagome is a good character too.... Please. I mean Inuyasha and Naraku are bad....but Kagome?

I said most! She can be annoying, but I like her.

How can you try to reason with someone that says this:

no expression

How can you reason with someone who says stuff like "oaf" and "spout"? Are you a lawyer or somethin'? Look, I'm just defending my view, and, you're trying to step over the line.

Thanks StyleTime for not getting unreasonable by the way. You're defending your view and me, mine. big grin

calvs
I said most! She can be annoying, but I like her.

How can you reason with someone who says stuff like "oaf" and "spout"? Are you a lawyer or somethin'? Look, I'm just defending my view, and, you're trying to step over the line.

Thanks StyleTime for not getting unreasonable by the way. You're defending your view and me, mine. big grin These are common terms. =\

Go be a fangirl in another thread. You can't look at the matter without your personal opinions getting in the way. Don't be a sore loser. Admit you lost the debat and move on. You're the one lingereing on the topic.

Lyna303
Originally posted by The-Judge
respect cow & chicken! but yeah, there nearly no good cartoons anymore...
holy shit! i remember that show...its so frikkin old...

sailormoon
These are common terms. =\

Go be a fangirl in another thread. You can't look at the matter without your personal opinions getting in the way. Don't be a sore loser. Admit you lost the debat and move on. You're the one lingereing on the topic.

No, they're not.=/

No, you're getting upset over the fact that you don't like a show that I do like. Point blank. And I'll be a fangirl wherever I please. Thanks. smile The point is people have good reasons why they may not like it or do like it, end of story. But the point is, I'm saying it's not a flat out bad show. I stated my opinion of the topic of this thread, and then it got all Inuyasha. I would have been left this thread. So I'm glad this is over, I'm done with you, and thank the heavens! beer

Shroons
well i think they should show different anime more often, cause there are some cartoons i like, like the grim adventures of billy and mandy!!!

calvs
No, they're not.=/

No, you're getting upset over the fact that you don't like a show that I do like. Point blank. And I'll be a fangirl wherever I please. Thanks. smile The point is people have good reasons why they may not like it or do like it, end of story. But the point is, I'm saying it's not a flat out bad show. I stated my opinion of the topic of this thread, and then it got all Inuyasha. I would have been left this thread. So I'm glad this is over, I'm done with you, and thank the heavens! beer I bet you'll have a happy life with that Thick Skull of yours. yes

And BTW:
Your member title:
"The newest sailor scout"

There is a name for that, it's "senshi".

So I suggest if you want to be a fangirl, at least do it the right way wink

Lyna303
no, anime shouldn't be replacing american cartoons, eventhough their over all creativity and quality have declined over the years. What cartoons need is people who create them not just for the money...and i donno for people to acually pay attention to what they are writing...

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Lyna303
no, anime shouldn't be replacing american cartoons, eventhough their over all creativity and quality have declined over the years. What cartoons need is people who create them not just for the money...and i donno for people to acually pay attention to what they are writing...

moral of the story, kids

sailormoon
I bet you'll have a happy life with that Thick Skull of yours. yes

And BTW:
Your member title:
"The newest sailor scout"

There is a name for that, it's "senshi".

So I suggest if you want to be a fangirl, at least do it the right way wink

Yeah I will! Have fun with yours! Thanks! wink

laughing Yeah, you telling me how to be a fangirl! Sure...

SM outtie! cool

StyleTime
Originally posted by Lyna303
A nail was hit on its head today.
No, they're not.=/

No, you're getting upset over the fact that you don't like a show that I do like. Point blank. And I'll be a fangirl wherever I please. Thanks. smile The point is people have good reasons why they may not like it or do like it, end of story. But the point is, I'm saying it's not a flat out bad show. I stated my opinion of the topic of this thread, and then it got all Inuyasha. I would have been left this thread. So I'm glad this is over, I'm done with you, and thank the heavens! beer
It's not about preference. It's about admitting the show is bad. I told how the show was bad a while back. You said you still like it despite its shortcomings. The show ,however, still sucks.

calvs
Yeah I will! Have fun with yours! Thanks! wink

laughing Yeah, you telling me how to be a fangirl! Sure...

SM outtie! cool I'm not that likes Inuyasha.

You are like a wannabe fangirl, which is worse than being a fangirl. Now go and discuss how you think a drawn up character is hott.

btw, made this for you:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1943/fangirlrlyoe6.png

Wolfie
Animes and American cartoons have very different objectives. An anime is about the story, the detailed art, the life lessons, and whatever.

American cartoons are for humorous purposes. They aren't going for realistic characters, plots, actions, or anything like that. That is why they're cartoons and not live-action television shows.

They both have their place and neither should replace the other.

calvs
Originally posted by Wolfie
Animes and American cartoons have very different objectives. An anime is about the story, the detailed art, the life lessons, and whatever.

American cartoons are for humorous purposes. They aren't going for realistic characters, plots, actions, or anything like that. That is why they're cartoons and not live-action television shows.

They both have their place and neither should replace the other. Most Animes are actually funnier than today's average cartoon.

sailormoon

Couldn't have said it better myself! yes bunny My cousin doesn't watch anime because she doesn't like serious cartoons. Though I seriously think she's missing out, without good ol' cartoons like Spongebob and what not, people like her wouldn't have cartoons to watch at all. They serve completely different purposes, anime's deeper than cartoons, we need'em both! I know I love Spongebob, Angry Beavers and what not! yes

calvs
Couldn't have said it better myself! yes bunny My cousin doesn't watch anime because she doesn't like serious cartoons. Though I seriously think she's missing out, without good ol' cartoons like Spongebob and what not, people like her wouldn't have cartoons to watch at all. They serve completely different purposes, anime's deeper than cartoons, we need'em both! I know I love Spongebob, Angry Beavers and what not! yes Spongebob Squarepants wasn't one of the first funny cartoons. no expression

Lana

Not necessarily, on any of your points. There are anime that are just cracked out and are for laughs, and there are American cartoons that actually follow a cohesive plot from episode to episode.

Though I do agree that neither should replace the other. As I said before, anime are cartoons.

StyleTime

Couldn't have said it better myself! yes bunny My cousin doesn't watch anime because she doesn't like serious cartoons. Though I seriously think she's missing out, without good ol' cartoons like Spongebob and what not, people like her wouldn't have cartoons to watch at all. They serve completely different purposes, anime's deeper than cartoons, we need'em both! I know I love Spongebob, Angry Beavers and what not! yes
Anime, like Shin chan, can be just for screwy humor. Cartoons can also be serious. Justice League Unlimited is a recent example of this. It's dumb to just make blanket statements like what you two were getting at.

Also, like Lana said, anime ARE cartoons.

sailormoon
Okay, that's not what I meant, I guess that didn't sound right...I guess, what I'm trying to say is, anime is a different style of cartoons. And they're both different in their own way. For example, I LOVE anime, while I like cartoons a lot. I'm an anime freak, but not a cartoon freak, if that makes any sense. I'm more interested the anime style of cartoons, while others prefer the non-anime style of cartoons. Good point.

Kayne Archeron
besides, what about those american cartoons you loved growing up? i highly doubt you'd just push those aside

calvs
besides, what about those american cartoons you loved growing up? i highly doubt you'd just push those aside That's the point I GREW UP. I don't have need for that stuff anymore. I don't laugh at silly faces and shouting anymore.

Lana
That's the point I GREW UP. I don't have need for that stuff anymore. I don't laugh at silly faces and shouting anymore.

Even though there's stuff like that in anime, too? stick out tongue

American cartoons are as diverse as anime, you know, they're not all for kids.

calvs
Even though there's stuff like that in anime, too? stick out tongue

American cartoons are as diverse as anime, you know, they're not all for kids. Well yeah, But the majority of Anime is marketed (in the us) to teenagers, while cartoons are marketed towards like 10-

Black Adam
besides, what about those american cartoons you loved growing up? i highly doubt you'd just push those aside

now that I think of it

after re watching cartoons like Animaniacs,Dexters lab,Gargoyles,pinky and the brain even the Powerpuff girls

I found that I enjoy them a lot more now then when i was a kid.

Kayne Archeron
Well yeah, But the majority of Anime is marketed (in the us) to teenagers, while cartoons are marketed towards like 10-

i don't think the Heavy Metal series nor Bill Plympton cartoons are aimed towards children...

Lana
Well yeah, But the majority of Anime is marketed (in the us) to teenagers, while cartoons are marketed towards like 10-

Yeah, but a lot of the anime that's shown in the US and marketed to teens was originally intended for a younger audience.

And there are LOTS of American cartoons that are aimed at an older audience.

Takiko_4ever
I don't think South Park was aimed towards younger kids either^^

calvs
WOW, I don't see where I said all of american cartoons are for kids. no expression

Adult Swim Guy
no but it is and we cant really stop it u know?i really like anima but look toonami for a fact got taken of from every day at 4 to saterday a 7 or whatever it suck's.

Clone
I really don't see why it should be replaced by another form of animation. They both kinda have their own area. Most American cartoons are aimed towards kids. Most Animes are aimed towards teens and adults. I've noticed a while back that some American cartoons have some anime elements. Well, whether you enjoy kiddie entertainment or not; there isn't really a good enough reason to replace it.

Lana
Originally posted by Clone
I really don't see why it should be replaced by another form of animation. They both kinda have their own area. Most American cartoons are aimed towards kids. Most Animes are aimed towards teens and adults. I've noticed a while back that some American cartoons have some anime elements. Well, whether you enjoy kiddie entertainment or not; there isn't really a good enough reason to replace it.

And as I've said before several times...this is not necessarily true, on any count.

Adult Swim Guy
well i dont like **** edd ed and eddy or shaloon show down or ben ten or orther's like it..

animewatcher13
are you sure that all anime is for then teens most of the smaller children like the blood, gore, and violence so is it right to say that these anime are directed to teens and mature audiences.

its directed to all who view it.

calvs
Originally posted by animewatcher13
are you sure that all anime is for then teens most of the smaller children like the blood, gore, and violence so is it right to say that these anime are directed to teens and mature audiences.

its directed to all who view it. wtf?

animewatcher13

calvs
Well, actually, The y are on Adult Swim, so yes, they are marketed to the older, more mature audiences.

animewatcher13
ok

Kayne Archeron
Well, actually, The y are on Adult Swim, so yes, they are marketed to the older, more mature audiences.

i dunno... Tom Goes To The Mayor is on adult swim, and that's one of the most crappy, immature shows i've ever seen...

Lana

Do you think that what's on Adult Swim even makes up one percent of what anime there is?

Nor is all anime that's on Adult Swim all that's even dubbed and shown on TV in the US.

And...this rather proves my point that in the US, anime is targeted at an older audience than was originally intended.

Gregory
For that matter, there are plenty of shows broadcast in America that aren't on Adult Swim. Naruto isn't, I think, One Piece isn't, I don't think any of the Dragonball stuff was.

Kayne Archeron
if only Adult Swim would do the smart thing and get Azumanga Daioh already...

Takiko_4ever
How I see it is that you have to graduate from cartoons then move to Anime^^ The age range differs since most anime shown in the US are aimed for older people.

Lana
For that matter, there are plenty of shows broadcast in America that aren't on Adult Swim. Naruto isn't, I think, One Piece isn't, I don't think any of the Dragonball stuff was.

Naruto is, I think...One Piece I have no idea about, and while DB stuff was shown on Adult Swim, it was primarily on duing the day.

if only Adult Swim would do the smart thing and get Azumanga Daioh already...

Azumanga Daioh wouldn't belong on Adult Swim. It's something that'd be on during the day.

Originally posted by Takiko_4ever
How I see it is that you have to graduate from cartoons then move to Anime^^ The age range differs since most anime shown in the US are aimed for older people.

Once again, not true...

You realize there is a huge amount of anime out in the US that's not even shown on TV, unless you're lucky enough to get the Anime Network?

calvs
For that matter, there are plenty of shows broadcast in America that aren't on Adult Swim. Naruto isn't, I think, One Piece isn't, I don't think any of the Dragonball stuff was. I know. These animes are aimed at a younger aged group. "Adult Swim" used to be in a public pool when the kids had to leave and the Adults swan alone. This is exactly what it symbolizes.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>