Ok I think I have finally sussed out what the heck is going on so far in PotC-Spoiler

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne

LovelyOne

LovelyOne
The dog = Jack

Incase you dont believe me here is more proof that Jack is changing as a character:

Jack resembles the dog, its keys and its bone in the films.
Jack=Dog
Keys= Jack's material possessions
Bone= Jack's temptation (love)..a bone is what a dog wants most in life..tempt a dog with a bone..

when we first meet the dog he is very set in his ways. he's not going to budge for ANYONE..he's not going to help to save anyone in the cell..they try to tempt him with a bone(what can REALLY make a dog happy))..he's still defiant "I don't want that!..try all you want..I may be a dog but I don't need that bone" all he cares about is himself and his keys,,,he's not going to show ANYONE love or "weakness"...

Jack says "you can do that all you want. that dog is NEVER going to move!"

later on the dog actually shows that it IS tempted by the bone ..when there's lots of people around he will be defiant and try to not let them see that "weakness" in its character.....but when its ONE ON ONE with someone..we see that the dog actually IS tempted to take the bone it creeps slowly and unsurley up to Jack..then Jack insults it and scares it off...meaning that Jack IS secretly tempted to embrace love but is AFRAID to let someone close to him incase he gets HURT by them..he runs away from it in life...We learn that in movie 1..jack IS afraid to let people close to him...because of that very reason..but he SECRETLY wants it in life..and its possible that he will embrace it..when he's one on one with someone..*cough* Liz movie 2 *cough*

He calls the dog "worthless, stinky, mangy mut" which is what jack secretly KNOWS he is without his possessions there to keep up the lie of "brave and fearless pirate" ...on the beach scene jack is completely revealed for what he is(he has his ship taken away, his hat, his RUM)..and we learn that he is man who lies about his escapes to create a legend..when in reality he is not so brave and he HATES for people to see it..we also learn that in times of danger Jack clings onto his possessions for safety.his rum was the LAST thing he had to cling onto to feel safe..and liz snatches it away..and he is TERRIFIED when she does..like a little fragile child who has his security blanket ripped away and burned....the dog ALMOST gives up the keys to jack but when it gets afraid by the door opening its runs the hell away and clings onto them..he'd rather stay safe with his keys instead of helping someone else..which is cowardly..So for doggie to be brave he needs to give up the keys..take the bone..which will mean he saved someone... ..For jack to REALLY embrace bravery and become the legend he needs to give up his possessions..take love..and then he will be brave for those he loves....

By movie 2..we see that the dog has had a HUGE turn around in character..we learn that he HAS decided to be friends with two people from prison..he's a good doggie..lovable scamp who does show care for people...BUT he still has those keys in his mouth..So Jack HAS shown that he cares for his friends (liz /Will) in his life but he still cant quite let go of those material possessions..they still make him feel safer in danger than people can...he still protects them and loves them as if they were his first born child..

The dog abandons his friends in the boat whilst the huge wave takes them under..still clutching those bloody keys...the dog is a coward who thought of his own safety and possessions in a time of danger..he left his friends to suffer..Jack does the exact same thing when the kraken attacks the pearl..he leaves Liz/Will more so Liz( the only one who sees him escape) to suffer whilst he selfishly saves his own skin..

BUT somewhere in the process of escaping in the water the dog LOSES the keys..this is where Jack realised what was more important to him in movie 2..material possessions are something he finally realises he can live without because he has LIZ and LOVE to give to her now..he's ready to embrace it..

The next time we see the dog do something he is no longer a coward....he wants to fight to protect his friends..he barks in the face of danger instead of running away from it..he wants to protect those he loves..Jack actually GOES BACK and and SAVES Elizabeth..from the kraken..and there is no denying that it was more for her than anyone else..that whole triumphant moment where he comes back was ALL about him assuring her he was there for her...it was all about her clinging to the her hero.

The dog is abandoned by his loved ones..Jack gets abandoned by Liz..

The dog sacrifices himself for their safety.he actually bravely stands his ground until the others are safely on the boat he does not follow..he makes SURE they all get away and then when they are all safe he leads the source of danger away from them...Just like Jack did with the kraken..

This is what makes me wonder if jack WOULD have stayed on the pearl anyway and fought the kraken whilst his friends escaped..even without Liz's "persuasion"... the fact she did this to him made him realise that he has won her over Will...and guess what we see the next time the dog is on the screen...lol :

After the credits we see that the dog is now sitting on Jack's old thrown like a triumphant king and GUESS what he's holding in his mouth now...the BONE...Jack is the champion over Liz!..he officially HAS her now..to himself..he has a new thing in his life to love, protect and feel safe with instead of his material objects..he let those keys go and accepted what he wanted most the Bone.. in Jacks case LOVE with another person..Elizabeth..she is now the most important thing in his life..he has well and truly EARNED the status of king because he fought and killed the kraken..and the king has EARNED what he wants most...Love in his life with Elizabeth...and believe me..The dog got/ is going to get his bone...which is what makes a dog TRULY happy smile...

Now that he has accepted love in his life instead of material things it has ACTUALLY made him a braver person which is what he always WANTED to be but just wasn't..he needed the wakeup call to understand how to REALLY be what he wants to be..the way he was living his life was NOT the way to do it..he was living life selfishly and like a coward.......The dog decided to love people and protect them which was bravery at its finest...he can now call himself a king and hold the bone with pride..Jack can now call himself the great Captain Jack Sparrow and be proud to be the REAL DEAL ..because he accepted love and forgotten the material crap that was the LIE.... he has done amazing , brave things for the person he LOVES..and it was REAL...

But the doggie is still not safe..he is going to be EATEN..he needs to escape..just like Jack will in movie 3..he needs to escape his purgatory..

The ending scene after the credits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2taLxUdzc8

lovethemtigers
Wow LovelyOne this is some deep thinking...but I like and I agree....

tia dalma
WOW!!! eek!
i totally agree yes .
I mean when they first meet each other in the second film, Liz is really surprised when he gives her the compass, she's like "That's strange, usually he's so clingy to his 'effects' "

Denniz234
woah can someone give me the jist of that cause i aint readin all that

Chiki Mina
ok im so gonna take film studies lol. when i watch a movie at first i just enjoy it. but now that we are annalyzing im enjoying it more and i also feel stupid not noticing these things. but anyways i agree w LOVELYONE.

I dont blame much on Tia Dalma but yea i do think that shes responsible in some things-ok maybe alot. I dont think tia CURSED Jack just kinda did some triks on him to teach him a lesson.

And im pretty sure Tia noticed that jack was steeling i mean come on!! shes a voodoo gurl right?!

katelovespirate
i think Tia is in love with Jack. hehehe. smile

katelovespirate
oh and awesome theories by the way!!!! smile

Chiki Mina
im not sure to ENJOY pirates 3 when it comes out or try to figure out some things and annalyze..id be too distracted by jacks and wills looks lol

LovelyOne
..I'm not 100% certain with those theories..they just seem to make sense

She seemed to be OK knowing she had feelings for Jack because she thought that he only saw her as something sexual..so that would always be a reason for her not to fall for him ..but when she thought Jack was showing feelings for her she started to get scared(curiosity scene)..because she then had chemistry with him..she had a reason to love him ..she's got feelings and now Jack has.."UH OH" and when he actually DID show that he loved her she was bloody terrified..

Her making jack "die a coward" is probably why she didn't toast to Jack..everyone thinks he went down fighting..but SHE "knows" that he didn't because she chained him up to prevent him from doing so..She knew that he was going to stay there and fight for her..but she robbed him of it..because she's trying to make him a selfish man who cant love her...even though she REALLY wants him..as you could tell from that "almost kiss" just before she left. She doesn't know that he really did die fighting for her..and I think she is feeling very guilty about making him die like that...

I cant wait for her to find out that he didn't..

LovelyOne
and she KEEPS trying to make it about lust..she is desperate for it to be only that and no love because she doesnt want a reason to fall for him..like when she goes to kiss him at the end she sort of looks at him to see if he will make the first move and kiss her but OH NO he shows her respect and does nothing..and she looks quite frustrated that he's just not doing it...

Also the heart resembled Liz in a way..the three men were figting over it..and it symbolizes that they are all fighting over her..they all WANT her for their own reasons..Jack actually gets it..puts it close to his own heart. Then when he realises that its gone from the jar he is an emotional wreck...meaning that he cant be happy without her..Jack needed the heart to save himself..and liz does save Jack..he would have crumbled in life had he not learned to give up the less important things and embrace love..look at the confidence she gives him..

willofthewisp
I want LovelyOne to answer this, because I have my own ideas, but do you think by the end of this second movie that Jack is in love, or just realizing he can love? I'm just interested in your opinion. You're on the verge of converting me to believing this whole thing instead of just wishing it were true! Lol.

LovelyOne
Well I think that he is in love with her..because it was all about showing that love to Elizabeth and Elizabeth alone in movie 2..all the scenes where he was showing this love to someone revolved heavily around Elizabeth..The dog will only come to one person in movie 1..ONE person holding the bone...and in movie 2 it was Liz who Jack only showed an interest in loving...the dog has bone in his mouth at the end...meaning he accepted it from that one person..he wants her in his life now..to love..the bravery he showed was all about protecting the one person he loved from danger..

Liz had feelings for Jack even before he started to show he was more interested in a partnership instead of sex. She is very afraid to admit she has feelings..even at that stage in the movie..so IF he shows her that he has feelings for her too then she is going to freak out..which she does....she is in denial about it before he even starts to show he loves her..she feels pretty safe with the feelings until that curiosity scene..where he actually "showed" her that he cares about her instead of his own selfish desires..and she looks visibly shaken by it..its like "WHAT THE HELL?...oh crap" She is already in denial over the feelings and the last thing she needs is to see that Jack actually has feelings for her in returnlaughing out loud..she doesn't want a reason to love him...she doesnt WANT these feelings for him to even exist let alone move up to the next level..but they DO and she doesnt know how the hell to handle them when it does happen...he actually wins her over..but she has freaked out and cant hande it so she removes him......but she DOES want him..and that little moment where she almost kissed him again confirmed it..

willofthewisp
Hmm, that's pretty close to my thinking.

LovelyOne
It seemed as if Jack had accepted the love for Liz..but Liz just wasn't ready for it..and what she did to him proved it... I have a feeling that Jack is going to take her feelings into consideration in movie 3 because he cares for her now and he's not going to want to force anything on her or scare her even more....He can see that she is afraid..so I get the feeling that he is going to sit back and cool it in next movie..act like nothing had changed between the two..cuz Liz was so desperate to pretend that it didn't. Its going to be her turn to start to want him and embrace HER feelings for him in the next movie me thinks..he's going to let her take it slowly and at her own pace..

I think he may have sensed the uneasiness she was feeling at the end of movie 2..that last scene seemed as if he felt he should let her do everything......he was just silent and decided to let her do what she wanted with him at her own pace..and hello...she almost kissed him again when it was all left up to her.. big grin

willofthewisp
Yeah, I can see him wanting to go slow, but I can also see him going overboard and not talking to her at all. See, I think he started to have feelings for her from the time they were marooned together, but I think he realized he loved her when she tied him to the mast, so the next time he sees her, he's going to look at her differently and I think he would feel that would scare her. So he might act mad at her which would turn her off and...
I've made it a romance movie, haven't I? Sorry. Hopefully she will be the one to save him and they can have a private moment.

LovelyOne
I think he realised he loved her when he went back for her on the pearl actually... whilst the kraken was attacking..he loved her enough to put her saftey above his own life..and she knew IT..and she knew he loved her by doing that...and then she freaked out...cuz that meant the world to her but she was not ready..when she tied him to the mast..that confirmed to him that she loved him back...and he was smiling because of that.. laughing out loud

He was looking at her differently RIGHT from the begining of movie 2 and perhaps even before tht likeyou said laughing out loud..the feelings for her were ready..he just didn't realize until Tia helped him out..basically shoved it in his face with that jar of dirt..

willofthewisp
See, I don't see any hint that he is thinking of her when they are at Tia's. He is the only one to correctly guess a woman because he knows the story. He's heard it before, probably from Tia herself. But I do agree with you on the jar of dirt thing. I kept thinking it was pretty pointless, but I'm less into material things than Jack.

LovelyOne
there was the hint..On the cannibal Island..Jack shows no haste to save Will hanging there... he walks back as if there is no care in the world..but as soon as Will mentions that Liz is going to die because of Jack he literally stops dead in his tracks and only then is he brave enough to take any action and escape...so he has an inkling to save liz and remove Will from her..he gets will the hell away from him whilst he escapes..possibly to save Liz ..but also be selfish and gain the heart at the same time.. the Jack sparrow way of doing things..which he actually learns later is NOT the way to win her over..

he goes to Tias because he needs help in 2 ways..escaping davy..and gaining Liz..Tia picks up on his double goal..and basically mentions to him that his compass is pointing to Liz..and its Liz he's trying to claim as his own..but will is in the way..and Jack doesnt know how to win her over..."loath to try and claim it for his own" meaning he's having trouble..

willofthewisp
Really, I don't see any double meanings other than the "I thought I knew you" bit that they do. It seemed like she told the story to Will mainly for his benefit, let him know what he was up against. I agree on most of your theories, and maybe Jack did take his crew there partly to scare the shit out of Will and get rid of him later, but I think the main part was to show Tia his black spot. I don't know.

LovelyOne
No it wasnt to scare Will... it was to get the location of the flying dutchman so that he could shove Will on it whist he persues the chest and Liz..who he has an inlking to see...It's Just like he tried to remove Will earlier when he escaped after hearing Liz was in danger..

Tia says to him along the lines of: "the compass I gave you cant show you the chest?" Jack says no and then a wave of realisation comes over her face: "AHHHH jack sparrow does not know what he WANTS..or maybe he DO but loath to claim it for his own" meaning he knows by this point he kinda wants Liz but cant figure out how win her over on his own..so Tia helps him secretly with that AND the more obvious Davy/Black spot issue..

LovelyOne
I dont actually know if he knew Tia was helping him with the Liz issue though. I think she might have been helping him without telling him, ...Its just the fact that she says what the problem is out loud to him and he barley raises an eyebrow that makes me think he secretly went there to get the answer to the liz problem aswell as the davy problem..

LovelyOne
LOl i also notice that just before Liz speaks to Jack during the end scene..he's looking up at a dead man caught in the mast laughing out loud

lovethemtigers
At Tia's cabin she doesn't come out and name Liz so that's why some people might be confused on this...what she says (you have to read between the lines) is "What the compass you bartered for me cannot help you find this?" and Jack says, "Maybe, Why?" and she says in a teasing manner, "Jack Sparrow don't know what he want, or he knows but is loath to claim it as his own." ....meaning Elizabeth....because the entire movie - until Liz shows up - jack is a mess, really. He is acting very strange and disoriented - even the little midget comments to Gibbs about how strange "er" Jack is acting....because he is confused...I think he finds himself thinking about Liz - wondering what it would be like - that's why his compass isn't working for him...because he (deep down) no longer just longs for the Black Pearl and freedom....or else the compass would have led him to the chest without Will or Liz's help...

evilm0nki3
Makes sense. I havent seen the movie after reading all these theories. I need to see it again! I've only seen it twicesad

willofthewisp
"No it wasnt to scare Will... it was to get the location of the flying dutchman so that he could shove Will on it whist he persues the chest and Liz..who he has an inlking to see...It's Just like he tried to remove Will earlier when he escaped after hearing Liz was in danger.."-----LovelyOne

How much time really passes between the first movie and the second? Other than the peas in a pod deleted scene, there is no real indication that Jack regards Liz in any way other than as a respected friend. I don't think he really even considers a romantic relationship with her until he sees her again. He probably expected her to come after them, but when he sees her for the first time, he does look surprised to see her.
I just don't think he had her in mind when he went to see Tia. She did, and I agree that that line is talking about Liz, but I don't think Jack knows it. He answers correctly that woman vexes man more than anything because it's a pretty logical answer and he's heard the story before. I guessed woman, too, and I am definitely not pining over what could have been with anyone.
Tia may have had in mind for Jack and Liz to get closer the whole time, but I don't think he even considers it until she's on the ship with him. He honestly does not seem to know what he really wants in all scenes with the compass beforehand.

LovelyOne
I have a feeling that his compass showed him Port Royal on the map and he's like "no no!"...he probably doesn't understand why the hell its pointing there..he's starting to feel new things because the compass isn't showing him the means to save his own skin so something is changing in him..he needs a bit of a wakeup call to figure out what it is..He got irritated at what he saw on the map and went downstairs..

this is where the parallel things starts to happen

He goes down stairs bumps into Bill and is pretty calm until Bill gives him the black spot..Jack now has an urgency to go and find the chest

He's on the Island and Will comes back into his life..he shows little to no care until he mentioned " we need the compass...Liz is in danger" All of a sudden it clicks in his mind...he remembers the compass and what he saw on the map he stops in his tracks...and now the urgency to find Liz occurs..

Liz is the chest...everything that happens after this is parallel too

Will wont let Jack get the key because he wants to go back and be with Liz..so Jack cant get the chest..he needs to remove Will so he can get the chest

Will is standing in the way of Jack becoming the key to Liz's heart. If he goes back to Liz then Jack cant have her..he needs to remove Will so he can get Liz.

Davy's chest is meant to be the obvious thing he's after...but subconsciously its Liz...i think its at the back of his mind..but its not what he thinks should be more important..

Chiki Mina
yea i have that same feeling too. that the compass showed port royal and is his brain vs heart. I might be wrong bout this but i think that elizabeth loves will but isnt IN love with him.

OO another lil theory im not sure if LovelyOne will agree or anyone.
After liz lost the shot gun and was looking for it(the scene w the krakens second attack) after she looked up who was standing on the shot gun she was like "omg no way is jack-he came back!'' I think at that moment she was thinking that he prob looked at the compass seeing what his heart wants(rescue liz) and that HE KNEW that he was wrong to run off. and that its time to do the RIGHT THING. I think right there she got emotional and fell instantly IN LOVE w jack..and she prob knew what she had to do so she could be fre out of the temptation so that way shell have no other choice than to stay w Will.

LovelyOne
YES^^^ thats a perfect way to say it Heart Vs Brain!!...all three characters are doing this..and Jack is the only one who seems to accept what the heart wants at the end..Liz doesnt accept it..and I dont think will is...we'll have to wait and see in movie 3.

Liz does this with Jack..she's following her brain at the moment..thinks she should be with Will when her heart wants Jack

and Jack does this with Liz and the chest..his brain is telling him to get the chest..but his heart is telling him he wants Liz..he knows that he does as soon as Will says she's in danger during the cannibal Island scene.

Now dear old William. His heart is telling him he wants his father..but his brain probably tells him he wants Liz..

and you are very right about that theory below the heart vs Brain thing.

Chiki Mina
lol thanx. and yeah ur absolutely right!
jack finally took that step to accept his heart but liz is going w her brain bc shes supposely a person w a moral center and she believes that it isnt right to dump will whos a gentleman to go w jack whos a pirate.
Jack knows she did bc he won her over and hes proud of that. He prob knows that she was sorry for leaving him there-Jack is very smart hes like always 10 steps ahead.

willofthewisp
I don't think Liz has realized yet, though, that it's love. I don't think she's labeled it that yet.
You've convinced me Jack's been thinking about her quite a bit. I always thought it pointed back at Point Royal at the end of the first movie, plus he's singing the song she taught him, so that was what stuck out in his mind. He probably just thought of her as the "one who got away" until Will showed back up and Jack knew he had a chance of seeing her again.

reine_mk
he knew te songie before !!!! smile Jack was singing it first, but Liz knew the song also so, she didn't teach him anything, he just said :I love this song. He is a pirate, they've probably been singing it all the time on the Pearl when Jack was the captain.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I don't think Liz has realized yet, though, that it's love. I don't think she's labeled it that yet.
You've convinced me Jack's been thinking about her quite a bit. I always thought it pointed back at Point Royal at the end of the first movie, plus he's singing the song she taught him, so that was what stuck out in his mind. He probably just thought of her as the "one who got away" until Will showed back up and Jack knew he had a chance of seeing her again.

Liz knows its love..jack wins the hert because he protected it from the baddie(shell head) He saved Liz when she was in dire need from the kraken..so he wins her heart over..

willofthewisp
reine mik, in the deleted scenes, it shows Liz with Jack on the island and she says a line from the song. He's never heard it and asks her how it goes and she refuses, saying she'd have to be really drunk to be able to sing it for him. It then cuts to the part left in the movie, where they both sing it around the fire. He's pretty insistent she sing it and you can tell he's never heard it before then.

I still am not sure Liz knows it's love. I think she still has it in her mind that this attraction will pass and she'll come to her senses. She won't, and we the audience know what it is, but I just don't think she's there yet.

Chiki Mina
well im sure shes trying to figure out her ehart. if not then ill gladly accept my heart and go w jack lol

willofthewisp
Oh, I think she'll decide to follow her heart. She's that kind of girl.

T.Maria
hey i'm new here embarrasment

I found this thread interesting as the theories were quite decisive, and therefore gave a good insight into the characters.

LovelyOne i do agree with some of the things you seem to be saying here within your theories, but i also seem to think that willofthewisp is also right when he/she says that Elizabeth is not inlove with Jack. Not yet, anyway.

The simple reason being that in the first film when she was not even engaged to Norrington at the time, she still did not exactly know how she felt about Will (atleast she never truly showed it)...not until the very end of the film anyway.

Yes, she wanted to save the boy; he was special to her and she obviously felt an attraction to him, but it was him who knew exactly how he felt about her.

The same could be said about Jack and Elizabeth. She had an incling that there are feelings there for Jack...but she is not completely sure what they are yet.

In both films Elizabeth also ends up being the one spending the time with Jack;

POTC1: The Island scene
POTC2: The whole Black Pearl moments
The Island where they find the heart

I believe this is no coincidence, as the scenes they share together seem to incline towards the fact that these two particular characters are obviously heading towards something (either that or Gore could not resist putting some sexual chemistry in there for us J/E shippers!) that will not be resolved until the third film

The audience know her fascination with Pirates since she was a small child, and this could indicate that she is intregued by Jack, afterall; she was very un-nerved when she found that the stories about him were not completely true (on the island). This leads me to believe that there were indeed stories about Jack Sparrow, and she had indeed heard about them and wondered...

she kissed him out of curiosity... and the fact that she had to get him tied to that ship. They say that a Captain always goes down with his ship, and Jack was no exception here.

However, i do think that upon actually kissing Jack she realised there really was something there that she hoped would not be, because then she was faced with another dilemma.

She meant it when she called him a good man; in her eyes she saw that he had done exactly what she said he would do;

"The right thing".

Notice; she said this line within the curiosity scene, and ALMOST kissed him... now within the actual 'KISS' scene she TELLS him he is a good man and actually DOES kiss him...could it be a reward?

I DO want to believe that they are all inlove and will live happily ever after...but i have a feeling that this part of the storyline is for character developement; Elizabeth was a black and white character throughout the first film and only really came into herself at the end of the Curse of the black pearl. (As also stated by Keira Knightley and Gore Verbinski)
So within the second film they needed to make Elizabeth's sexuality come to life...and the only character to match that sexuality was Jack....he oozes it.

And as for her chaining him to the ship...
it was to further the story (obviously lol big grin ) and also to get the audience thinking (like we obviously have been doing) and pondering upon the turn that events will take, and also the reactions from characters throughout the next film.

This does not rule out the next meeting with Jack and Elizabeth, however. I have a feeling that within the next film Jack and Elizabeth will have alot to say to eachother...and I for one cannot wait!!

Thanks for listening to me moan on, and if anyone disagrees then feel free...its just my opinion and no one has to take it on board smile

Shellie
xxx

Chiki Mina
Nice Maria!! OMG UR NEW HERE AND EVEN U CAN MAKE A SIGNATURE!! I CANT!!im that stupid one eye

T.Maria
lmao!
its easy u just go to your edit profile on the top bar and then go down to where it says signature smile

But i cnt get pictures up to go under my name sad .... im not computer intelligent hehe

CaptinJackLover
ooo trhe avatar? you jsut go to edit options and then at the very bottom it says get an avatar and then you download whatever picture you wnat

Chiki Mina
im about to cry...i dunno how to make my pics bigger in the signature...*tear*

T.Maria
thankyou Jacklover!!

Awwww Chiki Mina, i would help you but i haveno clue myself :-S

CaptinJackLover
WELCOME!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.