Religion and Love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonderer
Love is something that everybody has inside themselves. Love is revealed naturally when you open the door to it inside yourself. Religion now comes and superimposes a structure, a wall around us and obstructs and confuse our ways of tapping into it naturally. We really don't need a superstructure of artificial rules from a religion to tell us what the appropriate way of showing love is. Love comes naturally. Religion only complicates things and lead to fighting.

Alliance
All emotions should be allowed to come naturally.

Wonderer
Originally posted by Alliance
Yes. Exactly. Even negative emotions. One should be able to meditate amongst both the good and the bad feelings and to bath in them like it was hot water.

Soleran
Originally posted by Alliance

And they do, even when they aren't coming naturally!

Also relgions themselves don't limit the rules and boundaries for love, its everyone's interpretation of said religion that starts to create boundaries.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Soleran
And they do, even when they aren't coming naturally!

Also relgions themselves don't limit the rules and boundaries for love, its everyone's interpretation of said religion that starts to create boundaries.

What? That doesn't ring true with my past experiences.

Soleran
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What? That doesn't ring true with my past experiences.

Once again that would be due to people changing religion to what they want. Us vs Them mentality but many religions weren't founded on that principle, those principles were later applied to religions.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Soleran
Once again that would be due to people changing religion to what they want. Us vs Them mentality but many religions weren't founded on that principle, those principles were later applied to religions.

The way a church is today is how it effects the world today. How that church was founded has little effect on todays world.

Soleran
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The way a church is today is how it effects the world today. How that church was founded has little effect on todays world.

Not all churchs teach the same thing not all religions build those same walls that were illustrated in the first post.

The first post is so arbitrary in defining love and its expression while laying blame on religion, not one but ALL RELIGION and that's not very truthful nor realistic.

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by Wonderer
Love is something that everybody has inside themselves. Love is revealed naturally when you open the door to it inside yourself. Religion now comes and superimposes a structure, a wall around us and obstructs and confuse our ways of tapping into it naturally. We really don't need a superstructure of artificial rules from a religion to tell us what the appropriate way of showing love is. Love comes naturally. Religion only complicates things and lead to fighting.

I think I disagree with your implied definition of love. Love, as I understand it--not lust or infatuation--is more linked to the will than simple feeling and difficult to practice. Corinthians 13:4-7 comes to mind:

"Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked; does not take into account wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

To love in this way requires both instruction and practice. It doesn't come naturally. At least, it doesn't for me.

If you're talking about sex, then I disagree as well. Unfettered sex is compulsive, socially divisive, and, ultimately, self-destructive. Human beings need external checks to prevent their slumbering impulses from becoming waking nightmares.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
I think I disagree with your implied definition of love. Love, as I understand it--not lust or infatuation--is more linked to the will than simple feeling and difficult to practice. Corinthians 13:4-7 comes to mind:

You cannot choose to Love. It's something you have or don't have. Can you make yourself fall in love with a woman you are not attracted to in any way, shape, or form ?

"Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked; does not take into account wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Love is not Jealous? I agree...but the Bible depicts God as jealous...it even clearly states that our God is a jealous God.....how can he be a God of Love, if he is also jealous ?

To love in this way requires both instruction and practice. It doesn't come naturally. At least, it doesn't for me.

Artificial Love is not love at all no

If you're talking about sex, then I disagree as well. Unfettered sex is compulsive, socially divisive, and, ultimately, self-destructive. Human beings need external checks to prevent their slumbering impulses from becoming waking nightmares.

WAking nightmares like what ? Your assertions are either observartions of ONE specific narrow locale, or unrealistic figments of your imagination brought on by unreasonable judgement.

maham

No,it doesn't complicate things.Infact,it helps u understand many things that u mite not kno otherwise eg.the difference btw rite n wrong.

Yes,v DO need religion.Religion never stops any1 4m lovin others.It's supposed 2 simplify matters.Now if ppl r determined 2 make it sound complicated then wat can v do?U shud kno ur right 4m ur wrong urself n religion will help u in it.

lord xyz
Love is something that everybody has inside themselves. Love is revealed naturally when you open the door to it inside yourself. Religion now comes and superimposes a structure, a wall around us and obstructs and confuse our ways of tapping into it naturally. We really don't need a superstructure of artificial rules from a religion to tell us what the appropriate way of showing love is. Love comes naturally. Religion only complicates things and lead to fighting. Wow, you're a poet. no expression

maham
Originally posted by lord xyz
Wow, you're a poet. no expression

LOL! Right!

Wonderer

I'm talking about love in general and all of its forms. If you feel that love need to be presented in a structured, religious form, then you have created an obstruction to the natural love inside you. The natural love inside you will only reveal itself when you let go, when you stop to thinking, stop analyzing or meditating on it. It comes when you become aware of your self without organised rules.

Love is like motherhood to a mother with a new born baby - she is a mother naturally, without having to be taught.

Wonderer
Originally posted by lord xyz
Wow, you're a poet. no expression
Thanks. I know. I'm published internationally under W. Reyneke.

fini
Hmmm depends on what kind of love you are talking bout, but from the looks of it, it will be romantic love.

This is one thing I like bout hinduism , it is its acknowledgement of the importance of love. Yeah when people think of hindus in india, they know of underage marriages, forced marriages and stuff. But if they would just stop following scoiety ideals and look at scripture( ALLL of them) they should come back treasuring love. There arewayyy too many examples to pull from.

* God is unisex, but whenever he incarnates on earth, makes sure to come as two forms( man and woman) so as to experience the greatest human gift, and that is love. God can experience love, but its no where as intense and meaningful as romantic love.
* In many scriptures the romance of an incarnation of god is a very important topic. WE have Ram and Sita in the Ramayan, Krishna and Radha in the Mahabharat( probably the most epic love story)Shiva and Parvati etc
* Even though it may be lost to most people, marriage in its basic terms is about love. The woman always stays on the left side of her husband. Why, because on that side she becomes part of his heart. Women wear a ring on the left hand and men wear it on their right.
Why?? because standing on the left of the man, they can hold hands and with the rings on opposite sides of them contain the Marriage held within.

So even to apply it todays world( u know with straight and gay people). The main reason we take the form as humans is to experience Love, in all its forms and fashions..................not the ones that last a few months, hehehe

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by fini
So even to apply it todays world( u know with straight and gay people). The main reason we take the form as humans is to experience Love, in all its forms and fashions..................not the ones that last a few months, hehehe

What about the ones that last a few minutes?

fini
LOL, neither that one

love and lust is wayyy different. Lust is not what they were talking about. In fact its lust that is one of the things that is frowned upon. But so many people confuse love with lust, that many think that love is bad.

Alliance
No. All emotions have their plus and minus aspects.

Wonderer
Originally posted by fini
LOL, neither that one

love and lust is wayyy different. Lust is not what they were talking about. In fact its lust that is one of the things that is frowned upon. But so many people confuse love with lust, that many think that love is bad.

You see, Osho says that Sex/Lust and Love are comparable to Coal and Diamonds: Diamonds come from Coal, just as Love copmes from Lust/Sex. You need to accept lust and sex first, in order to open the door to love. How can you frown upon something (lust) which is the origin of one's very existence? Lust is something natural and neccesary to promote procreation. It is double standardish and plain stupid to from upon lust, when lust is the source of life force energy that creates more life through the expression of lust, which is sex.

In short:

Sex = Channel of Lust = Door to Love.

Alliance
No. I disagree. I can be in love with a piecee of art, or a skyscraper.

Love shoudl not be viewed as a attainable goal, something better than lust. Emphasis should be placed on having both.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.