Vehicle 'black boxes' compulsory from 2008

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
http://www.davidicke.com/images/stories/August2006%203/speedometer.jpg

'Big Brother will be watching you for sure by 2008 -- the year a proposed requirement that Event Data Recorders (EDRs) become mandatory standard equipment in all new cars and trucks will become law unless public outrage puts the kibosh on it somehow.

EDRs are "black boxes" -- just like airplanes have. They can record a wide variety of things -- including how fast you drive and whether you "buckle-up for safety." The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) wants EDRs to be installed in every new vehicle beginning with model year 2008 -- on the theory that the information will help crash investigators more accurately determine the hows and whys of accidents.'

Oh, I don't think that's the real reason, somehow ...

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/whos-watching/20060816150109990001

Alliance
Joy.

KidRock
Originally posted by Deano

Of course you dont Deano!

Hurray for more conspiracy threads!

PVS
its not a conspiracy thread. but i guess you would have to follow the link to the posted article to see that...what with all them darn big fancy words n stuff...save it fer them liber'ls

KidRock
Lol sure it is. This is just another thread with Deanos subliminal messages of how the illuminati and the government are trying to control us.

PVS
so deano has a conspiracy theorist agenda. agreed. however that does not make this a conspiracy thread. this is a factual topic

Soleran
Yes this is kind of disturbing, not really. I saw Logan's Run and I thought this would have been developed by 1985.

Deano
Originally posted by KidRock

Hurray for more conspiracy threads!

he likes to try though....bless him

Capt_Fantastic
Snakes on a Plane.

Robtard
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Snakes on a Plane.

That movie did so well at the box office; they're making 'Snakes On A Glass Bottom Boat' next.

badabing
Eff those black boxes. I'll get it removed if they try to make it mandatory.

Robtard

What else then? It's not like 'they' could pull up the data and see that on any certain day your car went 150 mph while low on brake fluid and the driver wasn't wearing a seat belt and somehow charge you for the crime.

This is mainly for the purpose of crash investigations and/or car insurance companies; which in turns tells me that we the car insurance consumer will somehow get anally raped monetarily wise with this new technology. But nothing to do with 'Big Brother' keeping dibs on our driving habits.

PVS
he likes to try though....bless him

people like you perpetuate the negative stereotype of all who question the government's motives. so bless both your hearts

xmarksthespot
It's not a conspiracy thread directly. But as always it's conspiracy related or part of an extended conspiracy concept that he's trying to promote. And there's an entire subforum for that junk now.

Deano
are you saying you know it all? quite arrogant arnt you

jaden101
Deano...seriously....why do you get all worked up about this kind of thing?

it's quite clear the UK government doesn't have the ability of finances to implement a computer system that monitors every car in the country every minute of the day

hell it doesn't have a computer system to track prisoners on tags very effectively...it cant find illegal immigrants or sex offenders who numbers are points of a fraction of a percent compared to the numbers of cars

hell its air traffic control system which works under the same type of system only on a much smaller scale broke down right after it was implemented 4 years later than planned and 20 times over budget

they simply are incapable of doing it both technologically and financially in the current climate

Imperial_Samura

'Big Brother will be watching you for sure by 2008 -- the year a proposed requirement that Event Data Recorders (EDRs) become mandatory standard equipment in all new cars and trucks will become law unless public outrage puts the kibosh on it somehow.

EDRs are "black boxes" -- just like airplanes have. They can record a wide variety of things -- including how fast you drive and whether you "buckle-up for safety." The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) wants EDRs to be installed in every new vehicle beginning with model year 2008 -- on the theory that the information will help crash investigators more accurately determine the hows and whys of accidents.'

I don't think it is such a bad thing. Road safety and road laws are still some of the most ineffective ways of the law (in comparison to other areas) and there is more then enough reason in this to support another regulatory step. I don't think their is any sinister agenda here, and remember - you are far more likely to die in a car accident then a plane crash. And while it is easier to work out the causes for an accident then it is for a plane crash, the black box will make it considerably easier and less doubtful, and free up police resources.

xmarksthespot
are you saying you know it all? quite arrogant arnt you No, I'm saying: I don't care.

I don't see why you would either considering you don't live in the U.S.

tabby999
i dont see how it will help anyone really. So theres a box monotoring the car, unless they can check each one of them every day, they wont really learn anything from the information, and even then, when the car crashes, they're not going to learn anything new from the information they get. "Ohhhh he was speeding! So THATS it!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.