Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (2003)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
http://imdb.com/title/tt0363226/

I gotta say I loved this film. Along with the sexy animated blood.

who?-kid
Good movie. Takeshi Kitano is a cool actor. Did you see Kikujiro ? That's even better.

Solo
I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen by Kitano. The original franchise is classic, but this is mediocre at best.

Dusty
Originally posted by Solo
I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen by Kitano. The original franchise is classic, but this is mediocre at best.

So, you got a chance to see it?

Solo
Yep, rented it not too long ago.

Gregory
I saw some movie or other from the original francise. It was completely incomprehensible, plot-wise, but the swordfights were hella cool.

Kryzula
I thought it was good but not great. Not that Takeshi Kitano did a bad job playing Zatoichi, I just prefer Shintaro Katsu's portrayal.

~ Kryzula

Kram3r
Originally posted by Dusty

I hear that. I haven't seen any of the originals but after viewing this (a while back) I'm definitely tempted to view them.

Ogami Itto
The Originals are better but obviously not as fancy. the stories (once you get the hang of them) are actually quite well done. theres some quality lines in them (although this might be bad subtitle translations) A pity you can only buy 7 of the series where i live (r2)

Phat J
Originally posted by Gregory
I saw some movie or other from the original francise. It was completely incomprehensible, plot-wise, but the swordfights were hella cool.
the plots are complicated sometimes, but definitely not incomprehensible. by far my favourite samurai flicks, the new ones good but it doesnt really compare to the originals.

Solo
Originally posted by Phat J
it doesnt really compare to the originals.
I agreed, I didn't like the new one at all, though.

Phat J
really? i thought it was nicely done. maybe a little more, for lack of a better word, happier. but i still thought it was pretty good.

Council#13
Originally posted by Dusty

I liked it, too, but I think that that last fight between Zatoichi and the Samuri was a bit of a let down.

Phat J
yeah, it was good how it was done though. two people that good with a sword arent going to have a big drawn out battle, its gonna be one move to kill. i liked it.

Council#13
Hmm, well I was expecting more of a back-forth fight. But if there was, Zatoichi's sword may have shattered, as it was so thin and doesn't look like it was made for contact with other blades.

Phat J
no i agree it would have been better if they had at least a few more moves, but i thought the way they did it was good. thats true though, you dont see him clash swords with a lot of people, in the new one at least.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.