The Black Dahlia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morning_Glory
Looks pretty good.

http://www.celebritypictureshow.com/img/scarlett_dahlia.jpg
Weaves a fictionalized tale of obsession, love, corruption, greed and depravity around the brutal murder of a fledgling Hollywood starlet that shocked and fascinated the nation in 1947 and remains unsolved today. Two ex-pugilist cops, Lee Blanchard (Aaron Eckhart) and Bucky Bleichert (Josh Hartnett), are called to investigate the homicide.

trailer: The Black Dahlia

starring:
Scarlett Johannson
Hilary Swank
Josh Hartnett
Aaron Eckhardt
and a bunch of other people...

who?-kid
I read two novels of James Ellroy (don't ask me why) : I really really did NOT like them. Imo, the guy can not write.

That doesn't mean it will be a bad movie however. It will probably be better than the books.

Solo
I've been waiting for this one awhile now. It's supposed to be great from what I hear, maybe Palma will throw another classic at us.

tabby999
i read the book and liked it, dont know if i'll bother with the movie though, it dosn't hold any interest for me

~Flamboyant~
Looks awesome.

MildPossession
I'm there for any DePalma film. Looks decent.

bakerboy
Looks very promising.

Leggy_n_Merry
I think it looks really good. The trailer came on in the cinema earlier (I had seen it before though but it's always better in the cinema). Oh my God the realease date is the same for the USA and the UK yay! Not long either.

silver_tears
I love Josh Hartnett.
Although I read the case files for the actual investigation at crimelibrary and it's really quite odd dontgetit

masterkit
The Black Dahlia-Posted for Search Function Purposes

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by silver_tears
I love Josh Hartnett.
Although I read the case files for the actual investigation at crimelibrary and it's really quite odd dontgetit

I've been through alot of the serial killers on that site. Gets really freaky after a while.

RZA
This movie does look very promising. They're going with a younger cast but also a talented one. I thought Johanssen was great choice for the role of Kay Lake. She has that natural old time throwback look to her anyway. Hope it's good.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by bakerboy
Looks very promising.

yeah it does,cant wait to see this movie.Looks very promising.

fantasygirl
I actually want to go see this one. yes

bawgawk
COOL INTERVIEW! BLACK DAHLIA Scribe Spills Beans

just copy and paste:

moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by bawgawk
COOL INTERVIEW! BLACK DAHLIA Scribe Spills Beans

just copy and paste:

moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com are you spamming... you already made a thread for this - newbie

Morning_Glory
is anyone going to see this movie tomorrow?

I'll go see it if it has good ratings otherwise will wait till it gets to the "cheap" theater (if there is such a thing anymore) happy

T.M
I don't know if I will go see it.. I want to.. but all my mates don't like the look of it..

fools.

Morning_Glory
sometimes I weary about Josh Hartnett as the lead .. in movies...but Hilary Swank is usually pretty amazing in her movies

T.M
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
sometimes I weary about Josh Hartnett as the lead .. in movies...but Hilary Swank is usually pretty amazing in her movies

I hear you.. Josh Hartnett is a bit hit and miss for me..

Hiary Swank has been amazing as you say though.

bawgawk
are you spamming... you already made a thread for this - newbie

take it easy old dog, I'm just alerting movie geeks out there of our cool site, so chill, if that's OK with you, of course....

AstroFan
Then yeah, thats spam. roll eyes (sarcastic)

bawgawk
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm there for any DePalma film. Looks decent.

Me too. Him and Fincher too.

bawgawk
this is what some of the critics are saying:

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com/2006/09/critical-movie-pulse-black-dahlia.html

Morning_Glory
this is what some of the critics are saying:

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com/2006/09/critical-movie-pulse-black-dahlia.html this is spam! ... this is about the 3rd post you have talked about this site - not including the one on your site

bawgawk
this is spam! ... this is about the 3rd post you have talked about this site - not including the one on your site

Wow, get a life... If you're not interested in the relevant links I am posting to this discussion then just ignore them. I don't know what else to tell you...

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com

AstroFan
smileygenerator

bawgawk
Originally posted by AstroFan
smileygenerator

Hey Penis, nice to meet you too.

ladygrim
Looks good .... but the downfall to me is that it has so many actors and actoress in that i dont favor to watch ..

Morning_Glory
I hear its disappointing sad

Solo
I say disregard many of the critics' reviews. I've heard it's a masterpiece by many people, thus I'll be seeing it tomorrow afternoon.

A lot of DePalma's best work is unappreciated, i.e. "Femme Fatale", and a lot of his work that is appreciated is awful, i.e. "Scarface". So I'll be going into this with no expectations, hopefully I'll be pleased.

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by Solo
I say disregard many of the critics' reviews. I've heard it's a masterpiece by many people, thus I'll be seeing it tomorrow afternoon.

A lot of DePalma's best work is unappreciated, i.e. "Femme Fatale", and a lot of his work that is appreciated is awful, i.e. "Scarface". So I'll be going into this with no expectations, hopefully I'll be pleased.

Yeah there are many films that critics dislike that I love. Plus, many critics love films whereas others hate them. It's all down to taste. None of them (well the ones that I've read) have said that it's absolutely awful, so I'm sure many people will like it. Hopefully I will enjoy it too.

Wow, get a life... If you're not interested in the relevant links I am posting to this discussion then just ignore them. I don't know what else to tell you...

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com

Umm no, spamming is against the rules therefore Morning_Glory has a point. It's nothing to do with whether she wants to visit the site or not.

Morning_Glory

A lot of DePalma's best work is unappreciated, i.e. "Femme Fatale", and a lot of his work that is appreciated is awful, i.e. "Scarface". So I'll be going into this with no expectations, hopefully I'll be pleased. a lot of people die over Scarface (havent you ever seen MTV Cribs no expression no expression no expression *sarcasm* ) yea i didnt get what the big deal was with Scarface either smile

AstroFan
Scarface is just sooooo boring. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ladygrim

me too and espcially in local papers they just rip the p*** out of a movie .and not review it roll eyes (sarcastic)

jgiant
seriously take my word for it, it was a complete waste of money, but if u like doing that then by all means go ahead...i had no idea why half the movie was even made it didn't even fit into the story, it was filler, awful filler...

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by jgiant
seriously take my word for it, it was a complete waste of money, but if u like doing that then by all means go ahead...i had no idea why half the movie was even made it didn't even fit into the story, it was filler, awful filler... thanks happy save myself $9

but I will probably download it later on ninja

Solo
So, I just got back from this. I'll write a much longer and in depth review later, but briefly, this was pretty bad. I'll elaborate a little.

The first act starts off pretty slow, has a few ridiculous moments, but the second act makes up for it. The first two acts are a well made film noir homage, with 'over the top' acting galore. Then the finale comes along, they're revealing who the murderer is, and I'm looking around making sure I'm seeing the same movie, because this is absolutely terrible. I'm still trying to figure out if it was supposed to be a comedy or a drama. It has the most ridiculous ending of the year. Obviously, though, Hartnett was practically made for film noir. He took the whole thing so seriously, but the other actors made it seem as if it was a joke.

This film's failure is not DePalma's fault, however, it is the source material's. I'd have rather preferred an open ending, considering that the 'Black Dahlia' murders weren't even solved anyway.

Sorry for any typos, and what not, I'm tired. Some of it may not make sense.

Leggy_n_Merry
Oh dear. I will still be seeing it though.

Solo
The Black Dahlia was a potential fantastic neo-noir homage. The first hour and forty minutes is really solid, with all of the cuts paying homage to the past neo-noir genre. Then, James Elroy threw in the most implausible ending that I've possibly ever seen. The ending doesn't do any of the film justice. I wonder how DePalma could have been involved knowing the ending beforehand. Josh Hartnett throws in a decent performance and at times I wonder if he's the only one involved that took the film seriously. Aaron Eckhart, on the other hand, was a joke and I was embarrassed to be watching him on screen. Scarlett Johansson, is a pleasure to watch, but she gives the most stiff and artificial performance out of the whole cast (however, I didn't mind her much). Hilary Swank and Mia Kershner deliver very forced performances that really flirt with the bounds of believability to an extent that's really too much to handle. Although, this film did have the DePalma trademark, the sleek, stylish shots, it just didn't cut it. The source material delivered a hack ending, it made me sad to see a good movie spiral into a complete mess in the last twenty minutes. I was emotionally baffled in many parts of the film, and didn't care for many of the characters or their conflicts. Sooner or later the film just begins to descend into a downward spiral that it can't get out of. Many people I know share the exact opposite reaction of the film, saying it's 'well crafted', they even dare to call it a 'masterpiece'. So if you're a huge Hartnett, DePalma, Elroy fan or whatever, I say give it a try because there's a pretty good chance that you may like it. But if you want to save some money I recommend renting L.A. Confidential, it's similar in many ways and has many more pros than cons.

*/*****

Leggy_n_Merry
The ending is what I've heard most people didn't like about it. I hate it when a movie seems to be really good and then the ending is just rubbish, it does indeed ruin it.

dea_will
watched it ... didn't like it sad

LiL nAstY GirL
I want to see this movie so badly. Looks very interesting stick out tongue

Maple Sugar
i really actually want to see it too..it really does look good..how it was beat by the dramatic version of the longest yard is beyond me..

Morning_Glory
I might go see The Last Kiss over this movie...ninja

Maple Sugar
clap

wait no expression good thing or bad thing

Mr Parker
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
I want to see this movie so badly. Looks very interesting stick out tongue

I echo those thoughts.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ladygrim
Looks good .... but the downfall to me is that it has so many actors and actoress in that i dont favor to watch ..

A lot of times I will see previews for a movie and it will make me want to go see it not because the previews for the movie look good but because they have lots of big name actors in it.a lot of times though that turns out ot be a bad thing because the movie is not very good.fortunately this does not appear to be the case with this movie,the story looks really great.looks like a very promising movie.

dea_will
I also watched (had to make a review on) the Last kiss...
Toooooo....already seen! smile

dea_will
but if you choose between the both the Black Dahlia of course! smile

Lana
I don't plan on seeing this movie. It's simply not the sort of thing that appeals to me, so yeah.

Leggy_n_Merry
I watched it and I don't see what was so terrible about it. I didn't think it was really good or anything, and at times it was a bit boring and slightly confusing but it wasn't that bad! And I don't understand what's wrong with the ending either.. I'd give it 6/10

Smasandian
Horrible movie.

The ending was garbage. A kinda of crappy version of LA Confidential mixed in with a bad Sixth Sense ending.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.