Colin Powell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
What do you guys think of this former US Secretary of State?

I think he is a noble and fair individual who resigned his position because he (at that time felt justified and correct, but unknowingly based on false info) stood up in front of the world and UN, to convince them that the US should declare a "just war" against Irag. Afterwards, I'm sure he felt embarrassment when there was no WMD discovered. Does that make sense?

I do hope to see him in politics for the US in the future.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Capt_Fantastic
I would have a lot more respect for him if he didn't sway in the political wind. I think he's a pretty good guy, who has gotten in over his head with a pack of wolves who've used him to further their own political agenda.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I would have a lot more respect for him if he didn't sway in the political wind. I think he's a pretty good guy, who has gotten in over his head with a pack of wolves who've used him to further their own political agenda.

Sways? confused ...thought he always took a stance and rolled with it.

Anyway, yes I agree (sadly) with "a pack of wolves............"

sad

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by BobbyD
Sways? confused ...thought he always took a stance and rolled with it.

Anyway, yes I agree (sadly) with "a pack of wolves............"

sad

The only stance he's taken is to leave his office. I seem to recall him going before th eUN and saying that a war with Iraq was justified. I also recall him saying he had his doubts about it after he left office.

BobbyD
The only stance he's taken is to leave his office. I seem to recall him going before th eUN and saying that a war with Iraq was justified. I also recall him saying he had his doubts about it after he left office.

laughing out loud

-pretty funny.

Note what you wrote: "AFFFTER he left office". Could you blame the guy then? roll eyes (sarcastic)

He didn't know until after the fact, thus his resignation.

Capt_Fantastic
laughing out loud

-pretty funny.

Note what you wrote: "AFFFTER he left office". Could you blame the guy then? roll eyes (sarcastic)

He didn't know until after the fact, thus his resignation.

No, he left because he had his suspicions confirmed. But he went before the UN, despite not believing in what he was about to say to them and the whole world. He just couldn't admit it until after he'd left office.

BobbyD
No, he left because he had his suspicions confirmed. But he went before the UN, despite not believing in what he was about to say to them and the whole world. He just couldn't admit it until after he'd left office.

R U sure? If so, I am mistaken. cool

Capt_Fantastic
R U sure? If so, I am mistaken. cool

Pretty sure. If I am wrong and you find that out, then I'm willing to admit it. But I'm fairly certain.

Beyond that, like I said, I think he's a pretty descent guy who's good reputation they decided to use and abuse for their own gain. Which I think is the real reason he resigned.

BobbyD
Beyond that, like I said, I think he's a pretty descent guy who's good reputation they decided to use and abuse for their own gain. Which I think is the real reason he resigned.

Good for him! smile

PVS
i dont think he's evil or anything...but he played a key role in misleading america into an unjustified war. but thats fine, i wish nothing bad on the man. i feel he should live out a long and comfortable life.........in isolation, shame, and reflection on just where he went wrong.

KharmaDog
I think he was a decent man who was hung out to dry by the Bush administration. I also tend to believe that he believed in the "intelligence" that he relayed to the UN because he so wanted to believe it. And I feel sort of bad for him that reality had to kick him in the nuts so hard.

Great how Bush took the only person worthy of respect in his administration and bent him over a table without even the courtesy of using a little vaseline.

PVS
Originally posted by KharmaDog
II also tend to believe that he believed in the "intelligence" that he relayed to the UN because he so wanted to believe it.

i think you overestimate his conscience. imho he and all other involved knew they were lying. this is the grand experiment and they all bought into it. create a new brand of easily controllable democracy and impose it on the middle east. maybe they believe that this experiment is a noble act, but i just cant buy that he believed the intelligence.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
i think you overestimate his conscience. imho he and all other involved knew they were lying. this is the grand experiment and they all bought into it. create a new brand of easily controllable democracy and impose it on the middle east. maybe they believe that this experiment is a noble act, but i just cant buy that he believed the intelligence.

I agree with you, as I said before. However I think he was a little more reluctant than the others. But it's not as if that changes the fact that he distorted the intelligence to fit the agenda. In the history of the CIA, there's only one vice president that went to CIA headquaters, not only once but repeatedly. Dick Cheney. And when the CIA couldn't (because it didn't exist) produce the skewed intelligence he wanted, the Bush administration just set up another intelligence agency that would provide the intelligence to justify invasion (because they made it up). And then when it all came out, they pointed their finger at the CIA and said it was their fault.

KharmaDog
I see Powell as the "dutiful soldier". I believe that even if he had doubts, he believed his superiors. I think that's why when you see him today he does not appear to be the same man he used to be.

They took much of his integrity and all his credibility, and he is probably quite aware that by placing his trust in them, he also gave much of it away.

Capt_Fantastic
I see Powell as the "dutiful soldier". I believe that even if he had doubts, he believed his superiors. I think that's why when you see him today he does not appear to be the same man he used to be.

They took much of his integrity and all his credibility, and he is probably quite aware that by placing his trust in them, he also gave much of it away.

Absolutely. That's why I said he was too easily swayed.

KharmaDog
Absolutely. That's why I said he was too easily swayed.

Too easily?

You also gotta undersrtand that his whole life has been about giving and taking orders. For the most part, he has had to trust the instincts of his superiors and also is not in a position to question his orders.

From what I gathered, it seems like he was pretty much kept in the darkl by the whole admininstration about a number of issues.

He did what he thought was right, he knows now that it wasn't. I harbor far less ill-will towards him than I do to the rest of the administration.

tabby999
Too easily?

You also gotta undersrtand that his whole life has been about giving and taking orders. For the most part, he has had to trust the instincts of his superiors and also is not in a position to question his orders.

From what I gathered, it seems like he was pretty much kept in the darkl by the whole admininstration about a number of issues.

He did what he thought was right, he knows now that it wasn't. I harbor far less ill-will towards him than I do to the rest of the administration.

I agree with that, he was most definatly the lesser of the evils.

BobbyD
Too easily?

This is how I personally feel about the situation. But, is my feeling this way valid? That is the question.... confused

WrathfulDwarf
He gets my vote for president any day. Dude is a warrior...he talks peace...but his eyes tell a different story...brrr!!!

Alliance
Too easily?

This isn't true. And the just taking orders thing is bullsh*t.

He disagreed with the administartion over much of its foreign policy. His international respect was used by the administration to sell the war. (he didn't think the intelligence was good enough to sell it yet).

It appears that he questioned bush a lot, but at the end of the day Bush is boss and Powell goes with the administration's position, regardless of whether he likes it or not. Its called responsibility.

Powell regrets that speech to the UN enormously. Its sads to see a promising politician destroyed.

PVS
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
He gets my vote for president any day. Dude is a warrior...he talks peace...but his eyes tell a different story...brrr!!!

im just going to assume you're joking around

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alliance
Powell regrets that speech to the UN enormously. Its sads to see a promising politician destroyed.

The guy still has a lot of mojo though, no?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by PVS
im just going to assume you're joking around

Well, you know what they say about Assume...

Alliance
The guy still has a lot of mojo though, no?

He might recover in the US, but he's lost much of his international power that would have made him say...a great preisdent.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alliance
He might recover in the US, but he's lost much of his international power that would have made him say...a great preisdent.

sad

..mean this nicely, but I hope you're wrong.

Alliance
me too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.