Morrowind [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raventheonly
I feel like i'm talking to a wall when i mention Morrowind, truly does anyone know this epic milestone in RPG gamming history next to Buldur's Gate? The game only won best RPG of the year and of all time in countless mags....!

MasterWizard
I played it, and I own all threee parts, but I stopped playing about 6 months ago, when I got NWN. It was very fun, nut something that would add replay value is random dungeons, with random treasure. I don't like to start a game and say "Alright, I'm going to go West of the starting point to get this item, then go to a shrine to the north to get this item..." and so on, so that I know what my guy will look like and exactly what items he will have when he's done.

Ushgarak
Morrowind is great in many ways...

... but it is also very lacking in others. Combat really does not work right, the scale is JUST the wrong size (too small to be realistic (the capital city has less than 100 people in it) but too big to stay interested whilst walking across it) and the missions eventually become very unengaging. People say how cool their Morrowind character is because they are the head of every guild and turned into a vampire who killed everyone... blah! Such meaningless accomplishments; the world is not affectable enough and the main plotline ended very boringly as well.

The idea of an open-ended fantasy game attracts very much but Morrowind is only halfway there.

Oh, and it could do with being multiplayer; I would kill to play a game like that with my friends.

Raventheonly
But it is a work in process, one can only put so many in a city without blowing the comp up. It was revolutionary and thats why it is great. of course there are possible imporvements but can you imagine if they include them in the next? Can you recall anyother game that satisfied you more with limitless possibility?

yerssot
oh yes... have that game around here somewhere messed

Ushgarak
Elite, 20 years ago, had more limitless possibility. But seen in today's terms it is very dull- limitless possibility is a bit of a fool's gold; nice and shiny but ultimately worth little.

Like I say, I agree Morrowind is a good game but the gameplay is FATALLY lacking in the long term- they should have gone for smaller and better; this was overreached.

BackFire
This is one of those games that I could recognize as good when I played, but it simply wasn't for me. As Ush said, combat was not up to par with some other games in teh same genre. However, the freedom in the game is outstanding and is the true genius of Morrowind.

BardaBlobO.o
MORROWIND ROCKS! evil face

Robo-Chocobo
it is pretty fun, if you can get into it. I have the x-box ver GOTY. Its fun but it lags on loading and freezes alot.

It's definetly hard to get into. I tried a begginers guide, but it didn't help much, so I made a custom elf warrior (chick hehehe) who had some stupid abilities like athleticism and acrobatics. in forethought I wish I had replaced other but meh. apparently a high alchemy point level allows you to see what ingrediants are used for what and their attributes. oddly enough the character actually began to work for me. Archery is like a godsend for me.

I love the game to death, but it's just so massive. I haven only done 2 actual quest jobs. 2 thieves guild jobs also. I've spent so much time wandering around doing miscellanious stuff. I got lost and then ended up in backwater land after wandering through some barren waste land with a thieves cave in it. then I freed a slave and took her to this city, and then I went to the giant skyscraper citiy place, and then I lost my game. I'm just trying to somehow get back to balmorra.

RaventheOnly
big grin i LOVE that game and Oblivion is suppose to be relaesed at the end of this year!!!!! eek!

I almost beat morrowind. big grin most powerful wizard anywhere big grin

Robo-Chocobo
magic gets boring. archery is where it's at.

SaTsuJiN
Ranged attack is expensive in morrowind

eleveninches
The game is brilliant, but when I bought it, my PC was brand new and top of the line and quite expensive. But morrowwind kept freezing and skipping an awful lot. If it weren't for the lag, it would be much better

Kael
I got bored of this game very early on. Nothing really intersting about it.

BardaBlobO.o
i always end up playing for a while but when i ge to around level 4, i always quit. im a level 4 dark elf warrior. i tried to kill a guard but they just dont die. you guys kow the cheat with the price on your head and stuff? it doesnt work on GOTY edition.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. you need to be way higher than level 4 to kill a guard.. try level 15 or 20

BardaBlobO.o
are you even a level 15-20? my old friend lied about being a lvl100 yet he lacks an xbox or even the game.

Linkalicious
i can't stand this game.

I bought it decked out my character and played for like 4 hours before I became board to death. That and I kinda sorta kept trying to kill the rats in the dark and that's like hitting a pinata.

SaTsuJiN
No.. but I believe 20 is the final level (I could be wrong).. and those guards have nearly the highest stats

RaventheOnly
hysterical i'm like lvl 28 last time i checked laughing out loud Archmage and Leader of the Telelu (sp?) and there is so much to do and so many missions its near impossible to fully complete, I would suggest NEVER killing people someone doesn;t say kill in towns laughing out loud you can screw yourself in the end of the game laughing out loud

OMEGA_05
I have that game and I have to agree with Linkalicious I played it for some time but the whole thing is too slow. what I mean is that, just to get to a certain place and find it, it takes to much time and the character os slow moving to.

I got the game of the year adition
it has the BloodMoon and Tribunal expansions

ChickinMeat
My friends were addicted to this game, but ive never had the chance to play it, perhaps i should pick up a copy sometime.

RaventheOnly
eek! you need magic dude stick out tongue you can levitate over it all and make your self move at 200X speed stick out tongue big grin

BardaBlobO.o
what happens at end of game thats so horrible? ive killed lots of little merchants in their shops and people in their homes. confused

RaventheOnly
You wont finish the game. Many of those people you need for quests

Filth
Morrowing is great, i have just started playing it again i am currently a ranger makes the game quite easy.

Julie
finially got it...yup it's a great game....addictive

DaRk Lotus
I'm playing it right now smile what would you think if the game went on-line?

exanda kane
'm going through a Morrowind revival, but for some untold and unkown reason the Dark Elf on the prison ship will not speak to me.

This effectively leaves me stuck at the beginning of the game with no way of progressing (no cheats for allowing me to walk!) so i wondered if anyone could email a Morrowind Save Game for PC (preferably at the beginning of the game) to [email protected]?

Thanks smile

SaTsuJiN
Have you tried reinstalling and patching it? that might solve the problem faster than recieving a gamesave

exanda kane
Yeah, I've tried, been tryna fix it all day..no worries though.

Phat J
this games the reason i bought an xbox, i have to find a copy first though. is there a GOTY version for the xbox?

exanda kane
Yeah. it has the expansions with it aswell (tribunal and bloodmoon).

btw, I'd still like a saved game anyone? [email protected]

Phat J
expansions on the xbox? like other discs or just built into the game?

exanda kane
The expansion are 'built' into the GotY edition of the game. So if you buy thr game of the Year edition you'll have the expansion included smile

Phat J
alright thanks thumb up

exanda kane
I've reinstalled Morrowind and it blooody rocks...again. It truly is amazingly. I managed to get hold of a water texture replacer and it looks uber realistic.

Ushgarak
Meh... some good ideas in this gamr, but it always massively underwhelmed me.

Combat was rubbish, the so-called 'cities' are tiny and there is too much simple wondering around.

Not to mention that someone managed to complete the main plot in 15 minutes.

The franchise certainly has massive co-operative multiplayer possiiblity, however.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Meh... some good ideas in this gamr, but it always massively underwhelmed me.

Combat was rubbish, the so-called 'cities' are tiny and there is too much simple wondering around.

Not to mention that someone managed to complete the main plot in 15 minutes.

The franchise certainly has massive co-operative multiplayer possiiblity, however.

Yeah it sure does have that huge possibility, yet alot of the depth would most probably be lost and the ability to create mods so easily, one of the biggest draws of the game, would probably be underwhelmed aswell.

The combat is horrible. That must be said. The only way i can play the game is as an Archer/Sharpshooter otherwise things just get horrible simple.

And yes, the cities do lack considerable size, population and reality. How come there can be 2 massive guild halls, 10 shops and a huge castle and the residence of the town still be 3 people (in small huts naturally)?

Ushgarak
I meant local multiplay really, not mass on-line stuff. Like Freelancer. In which case yes, it can be modded, but no differently to the single player version, so it should all stay together ok.

And... yes. If they can make one of these places feel alive, rather than anaemic, the Elder Scrolls games would be much improved.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I meant local multiplay really, not mass on-line stuff. Like Freelancer. In which case yes, it can be modded, but no differently to the single player version, so it should all stay together ok.

And... yes. If they can make one of these places feel alive, rather than anaemic, the Elder Scrolls games would be much improved.

Oh yes I getcha now. I like Freelancer, however I never got into the 'online' part. I had loadsa Germans trying to destroy me from day 1. Btw I was looking at the mods for that and found one containing some Star Wars ships. Nice..I thought roll eyes (sarcastic) ...

Anyways, hopefully that stale feel of the cities willl be erased by Oblivion, which looks promising. I only hope my PC will be able to handle it.

Phat J
what are the mods like for morrowind?

exanda kane
Well, you said your getting an X-Box version didn't you (not too sure how the mods work with that)...

Well anyways...
They range from brilliant to poor, some inbetween. Modding is really oneo of the games biggest assets and the Construction Set software that comes with the PC version is incredibly easy to use, which means exprienced modders can create great mods and additions, but also means anyonee can pick it up and put out a mod. This leads to too many 'house' mods where all you get is a badly designed abode to live in with items that give the player an unfair advantage. however the good modders also put out House mods that are great and original.

Other mods (for PC) include better textures and more details on world objects and items, like the water, walls, bricks, books anything really.

Isredel
I killed Vivic. Is that a good thing?/sarcasm

Phat J
i was thinkin about gettin it for the cpu for the mods, i dont know, i dont like playin games on my cpu.

yo isredel, saying sarcasm right after sorta kills the joke imo. no offense meant or anything. put a smily face or somethin maybe

Isredel
Originally posted by Phat J
i was thinkin about gettin it for the cpu for the mods, i dont know, i dont like playin games on my cpu.

yo isredel, saying sarcasm right after sorta kills the joke imo. no offense meant or anything. put a smily face or somethin maybe

Did I really just put, "/sarcasm" Next to that?

I did not mean to do that.

Phat J
laughing out loud it was probably the smiley glitching or something

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by exanda kane
Other mods (for PC) include better textures and more details on world objects and items, like the water, walls, bricks, books anything really.

o_o any site you recommend, where I can find said textures?

exanda kane
planetelderscrolls.com probably has the biggest database, there were a llot more sites but a lot have shut down in light of the release of Oblivion, which isnt far away.

Isredel
I went after Dragoth Ur at level 4.

BAD IDEA!

Phat J
**** i want this game, i gotta stop checking this thread. its jsut making me want it more sad laughing out loud

Isredel
Originally posted by Phat J
**** i want this game, i gotta stop checking this thread. its jsut making me want it more sad laughing out loud

It's like a 10-20$ game. You can get it at like, Any Videogame store. (or the internet)

Phat J
not where i live, i was told its hard to find in kingston.

thegmeister53
Your best bet is ordering it online. For $20 it's a good deal. It will easily suck up a few hundred hours of your life.

Phat J
oh im planning on it, trust me

thegmeister53
I have a fond memory of my first character. I was a dark elf, I still remember entering my first dungeon half naked and getting schooled by a rat (sigh).

Phat J
yeah man, have you played it enough to know what the best characters to go with are?

thegmeister53
Well, it actually depends on really what you want to do. I have had it for over a year. I have found dark elves to be the best choice story-wise and the most well-rounded. Redguards make really good fighters(boring), while bretons or high elves are good for magic (fun as hell). And khajits and wood elves are great for thieves (also fun).

exanda kane
I always go with Dark Elves. Seems to fit much better in Morrwind itself. And you can probably get the best heads and coolest haircuts with them aswell. Yep thats right, morrowinds all about vanity...

thegmeister53
Yeah, almost every time I play I use a dark elf. But once in awhile I switch just for change. One thing though is that I can't stand using nords and imperials. I just don't see any strengths in picking them. Plus the whole half naked thing with the nords kind of turns me away.

Phat J
what about the guy that can go underwater?

Great Vengeance
Yeh this game pwns, I played for a long time. If you new people have any question Ill answer I pretty much know everything about it.

thegmeister53
Oh yeah, the Argonians look cool as hell. They isn't anything terribly good about them though. They also can't where helmets or boots, which is a big minus. But by the end of the game, your character is usually so powerful that it doesn't matter.

Phat J
thats what i was when i played it, an argonian. i was goin underwater and shit, it was sick. is it worth being one of them?

that sort of sucks, can you adjust the difficulty at all?

thegmeister53
Yeah, you actually can adjust the difficulty level. There is a difficulty slider in the in-game options menu that starts at 0 and can be lowered to -99 or raised to +99, which would give the game a massive increase in difficulty. But it is very satisfying to create a staff that can summon five powerful creatures at once and watch them tear everyone up, so there are some benefits to being super powered. And Argonians aren't too bad. I would place them roughly in the middle of the pack. There water breathing and resistance to disease means that you won't have to waste anytime buying/ casting the spells for any reason.

Keep in mind also that it is at the end of the game that your character is unbeatable. Throughout the game there are plenty of chances for you to get your ass handed to you.

Phat J
good to hear, i dont mind being unbeatable at the end. frustrating games arent very fun.

exanda kane
If you get the game for PC there are some great mods that will make all the faces in the game look better and I use all them. You can't blame Bethesda for the lack of decent faces but some of them really do suck. there's some great Wood Elf heads out there (Rhedheads or something) so I sometimes hike about as an uber Wood Elf Archer

thegmeister53
Yeah, PC is definitely preferable over the Xbox. With all the hard to find glitches you could end up screwing yourself on the Xbox, but with the PC you can simply input a console command to fix the problem.

Phat J
what do you mean hard to find glitches, and im already getting it for the xbox because i dont like playing on my computer, especially on a game like that that's huge and im gonna be playing a lot.

Phat J
ok im stuck in morrowind, heres my problem.

im doing the fighters guild quests for hrundi from sadrith mora and he gave me a 2 part mission. the one mission was getting rid of a corprus stalker in berwen the traders shop that was blockaded upstairs and i did that. the other one was doing the bounty on rels tenim. i found out where hes supposed to be which is in shalit, a cave hideout on some island but he isnt there. i dont know what to do. the only idea i have is that someone said he left the town to go to the cave at "night when neither masser nor secunda could be seen."

wtf is masser and secunda? im lost, is it the sun and the moon? what time of night is the sun and moon both out in morrowind?

can someone please help me, id really appreciate it.

Phat J
nevermind, figured it out. you gotta float up to these rocks that i didnt see before. thank god for faq's on the net.

unfriendly
what do you guys think of it? i am playing it right now and im wondering wether it gets better or if its worth playing at all, and i have some questions as well...

Lord Knightfa11
I really never got it. Freind gave me the game a few years back. I got off the boat as a really ugly guy, went through really muddy, rainy, foggy terrain, fighting really ugly muddy almost alien-like creatures, had to walk for 80 miles fighting clones of the same really ugly muddy almost alien like creature just to register to vote or something like that. I then realized that the movements were awkward and ugly, the characters were awkward and ugly, the swords and stuff were awkward and ugly, the terrain was awkward and ugly, and everyone hated me or wanted me to stop stealing their stuff, and was an evil dark elf, so i decided to **** it, left, came back because playing a girl might have been hawt. (I mean, girls fighting aliens in the mud? evil face ) and logged in as the elegant and cute wood elf, played her for a bit, took off her clothes, took a look and realized that she was ugly and awkward as well. The only thing i really enjoyed about the game was the sound. were there any good things about this game that I may have missed because i was too taken aback by how crappy everything looked?

Lord Knightfa11
some guy in the thread that got closed said that it might have been because the game wasn't my cup of tea, and that isn't true, because i love oblivion, i still play oblivion, i love kotor, i still play kotor, i like resident evil, and i still play resident evil...

Dark-Jaxx
This game was one of the most addictive games I have ever played, second only to Fable and equal to Oblivion.

And Oblivion and Morrowind had alot of differences, and both games had certain things that made them better than the other.

Lord Knightfa11
it might have been that oblivion seemed to be realistic and beautiful and this is just unreal and dirty? idk. whats one of the redeeming points of this game?

Dark-Jaxx
Well I feel like Morrowind had more in it than Oblivion for one to be honest.

Lord Knightfa11
maybe i got the feeling that if you counted up all the inhabitants of oblivion, you'd come out with a few hundred. I mean seriously, after all that bragging they couldn't come up with a few hundred voice actors?

Dark-Jaxx
They at least could have copped out like Fable 2 and have one dude play several people lol...

But I just think Morrowind had more quests and stuff as well.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
I really never got it. Freind gave me the game a few years back. I got off the boat as a really ugly guy, went through really muddy, rainy, foggy terrain, fighting really ugly muddy almost alien-like creatures, had to walk for 80 miles fighting clones of the same really ugly muddy almost alien like creature just to register to vote or something like that. I then realized that the movements were awkward and ugly, the characters were awkward and ugly, the swords and stuff were awkward and ugly, the terrain was awkward and ugly, and everyone hated me or wanted me to stop stealing their stuff, and was an evil dark elf, so i decided to **** it, left, came back because playing a girl might have been hawt. (I mean, girls fighting aliens in the mud? evil face ) and logged in as the elegant and cute wood elf, played her for a bit, took off her clothes, took a look and realized that she was ugly and awkward as well. The only thing i really enjoyed about the game was the sound. were there any good things about this game that I may have missed because i was too taken aback by how crappy everything looked?

You can't let graphics get in the way of you seeing a game for what it truly is. Morrowind had an involving story, and hours-upon-hours of sidequests. To accuse Morowind of being bad on basis of graphics is akin to accusing Final Fantasy 7 of being a bad game because of it's graphics.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
You can't let graphics get in the way of you seeing a game for what it truly is. Morrowind had an involving story, and hours-upon-hours of sidequests. To accuse Morowind of being bad on basis of graphics is akin to accusing Final Fantasy 7 of being a bad game because of it's graphics. maybe i will try it again. I have to torrent cause i lost the cd, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.