Diary of the Dead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wolfie
It's George Romero's next Dead film.

It's about a group of film students who run into zombies when making a horror movie in the woods.

In production in August.

Is Romero just cashing in on loyal fans that go giddy when they hear the words "Romero" and "Dead" in the same sentence?

Pandemoniac
Might be just that...
This plot is far from the quality Romero used to deliver, I can't see this becoming even a shadow of the his original trilogy.
Seems like he (and mostly his name) has been bought by the studios so they can tag his reputation to any piece of crap they poop out. As you said...

SelphieT
I dunno, the whole "Dead" thing is probably just his style. Who knows, hopefully it won't be shitty like Creepshow or anythin.......

Deano
i didnt like land of the dead much so...

WrathfulDwarf
Yes indeed...Romero has now taken the same dark path as Lucas. It is exactly how I felt after watching LOTD. Just look at the plot...it is the exact near replica of the Blair Witch Project. Romero is known for his creative writting...and using this plot line is downright awful. Money does change people.

tabby999
Will this end with a zombie standing in the corner of a room and then the camera going off? wink

i know this sounds like an awfully big backward step for romero, but really, after the brilliant movies he's given us up to now he can do what he wants, even if it is crap movies about zombies in the woods...

Strangelove
Making good movies before doesn't give you the right to make shitty ones now....how do you think people felt about Lucas after the new trilogy came out?

SelphieT
Well I'm sure he wasn't thinking they'd be shitty movies. Well........who knows? It could have been the money thinking, or else he's just changed.

People change all the time, and you can't always look up to someone, cause they ARE just human. They'll let you down too....

coolmovies
How many dead movies are they gonna make ?

Pandemoniac
That's not the question. When will they ever make something original again?

Wolfie
I would be fine if he did another Dead movie. As long as he made it in the 2010's, follow the same storyline, and have a strong social commentary like the other films.

tabby999
Something tells me he'll be either lucky to be alive then, or kinda fragile

Kram3r
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Just look at the plot...it is the exact near replica of the Blair Witch Project.

Exactly what I was thinking.

LaHaine
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Just look at the plot...it is the exact near replica of the Blair Witch Project.

and blair witch is the exact near replica of cannibal holocaust.

SnakeEyes
I really didn't like Land of the Dead one bit.

Hopefully this will be better, although it doesn't sound like it.

LaHaine
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I really didn't like Land of the Dead one bit.

Hopefully this will be better, although it doesn't sound like it.

I doubt that personally.

Diary of the Dead is done independently with a low-budget. the purpose for this was Romero wanted to return to his roots of maverick filmmaking. guerilla-style movies always reak of the director's original intentions.

Diary of the Dead will be ill as **** if you ask me.

ladygrim
The title doesnt leave much inspiration erm sounds a bit naff

Espantada23
How does a zombie keep a diary?

LaHaine
Originally posted by Espantada23
How does a zombie keep a diary?

the diary=the documentary camera

Espantada23
I was being a smartass...or dumbass...whichever seems more fitting.

vintageSW77
Is this old news??
first ive heard or seen of it
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZvCxFkJayg

Wolfie
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Is this old news??
first ive heard or seen of it
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZvCxFkJayg
I saw that Saturday. Don't bother. The only thing you get out of seeing this is the 3D glasses. erm

Leathergien
romero's movies have always impressed the lovers of horror flicks but ever since he had kept getting more and morre popular he kept making sh*tier movies,,,,,,just like wes craven and others....i love wes cravens work and romeros work also but im going to have to agree with everyone else money has changed his view on plots and other things

xblanex
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/DiaryoftheDeadMoviePoster.jpg

xblanex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQD4SQzNTiA

BackFire
I'm looking forward to it, looks like an interesting twist on the zombie genre, something that's very needed.

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm looking forward to it, looks like an interesting twist on the zombie genre, something that's very needed.

True, but how many times can Romero make a "...of the Dead" movie before he "jumps the shark"?

xblanex
Romero is the man. I have much faith in him

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Wolfie
Is Romero just cashing in on loyal fans that go giddy when they hear the words "Romero" and "Dead" in the same sentence?

I'm sure apart of him is just trying to cash in and put his long deserved recognition into drive. however, the question remains, is he simply cashing in or actualy trying to accomplish something with his newfound acceptance and respect? I guess the fans will speak when his work is released.

If i had created the zombie film market place, and massed a large following of fans because of it. I dont know that i would stray from the genre and formula that gave me my platform to create either. I'm curious in why so many fans are quick to jump on bashing him. I imagine just as many people would be criticising him had his next project been anything but another zombie flick.

though i wasnt to impressed with land of the dead, and actually found the remake of his dawn of the dead more fulfilling. I believe it was a lagitamte effort on his part. His presentation or story arc wasnt as well crafted as his previous works, It did appear to me as though he tried something new, Yeah, it diddnt work out very well in personal opinion. I thought that it was a decent enough advance in his story telling, his techniques in story telling did change fairly radically from day to land. So he obviously tried, so i'll give him a chance before crucifying him as i do Lucas...F*ck Lucas that money grubbing whore

I am though, looking forward very much for this flick...come on its Romero

xblanex
original dawn>remake

NormaBates
I really didn't like 'Land of the dead', it was more of an action movie than a horrorflick.
I hoe he does a better job this time!

xblanex
yeah land wasnt that great

cropsy_is_god
Im not gonna bother with it after how lame LOTD was

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by cropsy_is_god
Im not gonna bother with it after how lame LOTD was

you know you'll watch it, a small part in a all horror fans like bad movies roll eyes (sarcastic)

However, i think this one will be on the mark

doomsday49
so what's the social commentary on this one?

Mairuzu
2MdqNr0gN4Y

Cloverfield gone zombie? Your thoughts

Nordicdusk
I love his movies i just hope he can pull off the hand held look for this movie. But it seems on and off through it atleast i hope so.

Healing Artisan
looks okay, but can't base this just off of the trailer.

ragesRemorse
i still have faith in romero. At the very least, it should be entertaining, at the most it will be memorable. It took me a while to come around to land of the dead. At first, i thought it was shit. After a few more viewings, ive come to appreciate it for what it is and what Romero attempted to do.

BackFire
Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait.

Röland
Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait.
Seconded.

Love Romero's films.

General G
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i still have faith in romero. At the very least, it should be entertaining, at the most it will be memorable. It took me a while to come around to land of the dead. At first, i thought it was shit. After a few more viewings, ive come to appreciate it for what it is and what Romero attempted to do.

I had the same thing with that movie...it took me a couple viewings before I got into it more.

This movie should be good.

Wolfie
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418644

steverules
Hmmm....I think I'd carry round a gun rather than a camera but I guess things have changed...so is this meant to be based during the events of dawn of the dead?

D-Wag
Originally posted by steverules
Hmmm....I think I'd carry round a gun rather than a camera but I guess things have changed...so is this meant to be based during the events of dawn of the dead?

Don't think so, wouldn't the zombies be running

steverules
I'm not sure...they might run in the movie...from what we saw they just walk.

General G
Everything...just walks in horror movies...Jason to be a huge example, he never runs...yet catches them...it makes it more intense I guess. stick out tongue

steverules
He ran in part 2...he ran out in front of a truck I believe

Micheal_Myers
Jason runs in part 2 and 3 before changing to a walker.

Rajendra
because making horror films with "DEAD" titles made him popular, he is so damed good in doing so.

Healing Artisan
can't believe Diary of the Dead 2 is already in the making.

MildPossession
There is another movie like this, a British movie called The Zombie Diaries that came out last year, it's terrible, so be warned if you must watch it.

As for Diary of the Dead, I am looking forwards to it.

SnakeEyes
So... has anyone seen this movie yet?

I hated Land of the Dead, but I had somewhat higher hops for this one.

BackFire
I'm so sour that this movie isn't playing anywhere near me.

Mairuzu
Same

Zilverz
not playing near me either .. over 2hr drive /:

Micheal_Myers
Finnally got around to seeing this. Great film!

ragesRemorse
I just caught this movie, at the college art theater, of all places. I had a great time watching this movie. All romero fans have something to look forward to with this movie. Although, its not original, i felt as though i had just watched an original movie when leaving the theater. There is great build up to the tension and even better gore. I am surprised that this movie has received no coverage what so ever. It seems that only Romero fans know that this movie exists. This is a shame, because it's a genuinely good movie. The low budget of the film is rarely made apparent through lack of production. Only those jaded by big budget movie extravaganza's will notice this. This, is the only reason that i can think of why diary of the dead received no coverage. Maybe, it was a conscious decision by Romero, though. At any rate, you should all check this out.

amlap
I just caught this movie, at the college art theater, of all places. I had a great time watching this movie. All romero fans have something to look forward to with this movie. Although, its not original, i felt as though i had just watched an original movie when leaving the theater. There is great build up to the tension and even better gore. I am surprised that this movie has received no coverage what so ever. It seems that only Romero fans know that this movie exists. This is a shame, because it's a genuinely good movie. The low budget of the film is rarely made apparent through lack of production. Only those jaded by big budget movie extravaganza's will notice this. This, is the only reason that i can think of why diary of the dead received no coverage. Maybe, it was a conscious decision by Romero, though. At any rate, you should all check this out.

i felt alittle different about the movie.... i felt the quality film they used sort of takes away from the idea of the characters filming everything... i also didnt enjoy the girl explaining that she later edited the movie to be more dramatic i felt the script pretty hard to listen to, and like you said it searches for originallity the whole movie. there were some parts that i really enjoyed but i guess being a HUGE dawn of the dead fan im just waiting for a new romero zombie masterpiece, or maybe the land of the dead bitter taste is still in my mouth.

as much as it pains me to say i think id rather romero use the cloverfield filming style.... or maybe even the last horror movie's style (more documentary like if your not familiar).

i will say i will buy it on dvd cause it is romero, and maybe i'll enjoy it a bit better, cause i was pretty hyped up for the movie.

also do you think the bust land of the dead has something to do with the limited quiet release of diary?... im not sure, and correct me if im wrong but didnt romero lose alot of control over land of the dead?... which would explain the awfulness that it was.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by amlap
i felt alittle different about the movie.... i felt the quality film they used sort of takes away from the idea of the characters filming everything... i also didnt enjoy the girl explaining that she later edited the movie to be more dramatic i felt the script pretty hard to listen to, and like you said it searches for originallity the whole movie. there were some parts that i really enjoyed but i guess being a HUGE dawn of the dead fan im just waiting for a new romero zombie masterpiece, or maybe the land of the dead bitter taste is still in my mouth.

as much as it pains me to say i think id rather romero use the cloverfield filming style.... or maybe even the last horror movie's style (more documentary like if your not familiar).

i will say i will buy it on dvd cause it is romero, and maybe i'll enjoy it a bit better, cause i was pretty hyped up for the movie.

also do you think the bust land of the dead has something to do with the limited quiet release of diary?... im not sure, and correct me if im wrong but didnt romero lose alot of control over land of the dead?... which would explain the awfulness that it was.

you make some very good points, mate. I would say that all of your complaints and criticisms towards the movie are warranted and even accurate flaws. As far as the style of filming that was chosen. I thought, justified, Romero going back to night of the living dead. As a fan, i dont know that i would have accepted a prequel, if it were shot using traditional 35 MM film. I do believe it added a freshness to the same, tired, zombie story. I would have preferred, maybe a mixture of perspectives. I think a combination of 3rd person and 1st person perspective would have helped the movie ALOT, but, considering the budget, time, and Romero's vision. I accepted the movie for what it is. It really is a bad B-movie...,much like the first three installments in the dead series.
It is also a Zombie movie, these movies have been told every way possible. The chance of an original Zombie movie, died with the lackluster attempt of Romero's land of the dead. I dont know how to post spoilers, but i completely agree with your spoiler. That just seemed out of place and fuking needless. There is nothing original in Diary of the dead, but i think it certainly feels like "new" zombie movie.
As for why, Diary received no coverage. I dont think it had anything to do with Land of the dead. This is all speculation, but, i only see the budget being reason, why it had none. Land of the dead was well received by critics, and actually made little profit.

amlap
It really is a bad B-movie...,much like the first three installments in the dead series.
laughing yeah they may be bad, but they sure do hold a spot in my heart. as for originality with zombie movies id say you are right, there really isnt much to do that hasn't been done. although i'd love to see zombies hit the small screen. it would be interesting to see an on going zombie series on HBO or SHOWTIME. hell if they can write 4 seasons of people lost on an island im sure they can do a zombie story.

Zilverz
Originally posted by amlap
laughing yeah they may be bad, but they sure do hold a spot in my heart. as for originality with zombie movies id say you are right, there really isnt much to do that hasn't been done. although i'd love to see zombies hit the small screen. it would be interesting to see an on going zombie series on HBO or SHOWTIME. hell if they can write 4 seasons of people lost on an island im sure they can do a zombie story.

That is a great idea! I would so watch a zombie series no matter how bad it was.

To the previous post about not making much money in theaters, I am sure romero fans will swamp the dvd sales, since many did not have an oppurtunity to watch it in theater. Hopefully the can make up some ground there. You would have to think, he has such a loyal following i bet he could get unlimited B-grade actors for free.

Ax3l
I saw it. I was entertained.

jason maddox
I'm a sucker for zombie movies and I loved this one, I'm just glad it wasn't as shaky as Cloverfield

tylerTOXICITY
i can't find this, Somebody give me a link to a torrent?
Or just any old download source.

GGS
The only good part was when the deaf dude cut himself up with his scythe i thought this movie was so bad poor romero is this what he's been reduced to.

moviebuff1084
Man i was wanting to this movie so bad. But here it played for like a week and then left theaters. I was so pissed

Selphie
Originally posted by GGS
The only good part was when the deaf dude cut himself up with his scythe i thought this movie was so bad poor romero is this what he's been reduced to.

Why do you think it was that bad? What were you expecting?

GGS
I expected a Romero movie not a lame duck where the viewer is treated like one of the Zombies in the film with a step by step walk through trying to explain the actions taken by the group i a way to justify them somehow.

Selphie
Ohh, I see.

I really liked this for a change though. Not saying I liked it better than Night, Day, Dawn, or Land, but I liked how he tried this new 1st person view.

BackFire
Finally saw this.

Enjoyed it. A bit more corny than I was expecting, but it was fun.

The style was pretty cool and the social commentary was stimulating as it always is. A bit didactic in this one, but still intriguing.

ragesRemorse
Finally saw this.

Enjoyed it. A bit more corny than I was expecting, but it was fun.

The style was pretty cool and the social commentary was stimulating as it always is. A bit didactic in this one, but still intriguing.

ooh..,didactic, good wordage eek!

Wolfie
I enjoyed it. It played on the first person camera style better than Blair Witch.

MildPossession
Weakest of the lot. If you want a good horror film with first person camera, see the Spanish film REC.

I didn't get motion sickness though from Diary of the Dead, that was good at least. Also liked the parts with the farmer, especially when he was writing on that mini black board, made me laugh.

But yeah, nothing memorable.

Mairuzu
movie was genius

Selphie
Why do people find this as the weakest? And if even so, why point it out? Because it wasn't some studio masterpiece? Because it was more realistic than the others? Because it pertains to our society, and ways of life that we're dealing with, right now?

Romero says he looks at a current issue, and throws zombies in the mix. I thought it was very strong, if you just pay attention to whats given at hand....

BackFire
I don't think this was the weakest, that goes to Land of the Dead (though I still enjoyed that film).

I thought it could have been much better, though.

Selphie
Yeah, I can agree with that. Land of the Dead was great, but it wasn't at the top of the list, of course.

Wolfie
I enjoyed Land more than Diary.

Selphie
Style-wise, or what?

MildPossession
Let's just say I would rather watch this again than Zombie Diaries, just terrible. Also, I didn't say I hated Diary of the Dead, just didn't think much of it for a new Zombie movie out. I was paying attention to the film thank you, I saw all the 'social commentary'.

One reason I prefered Land of the Dead was because of the scenes where the Zombies started to show signs of been able to do things for themselves, teamwork and so on(started in Day of the Dead from what I remember), found that aspect of Land of the Dead memorable.

It's fine when the zombies were around on screen in DOTD, it was just the conversations/script between some of the characters that bugged me and the lead actress just annoyed the hell out of me.

Selphie
Originally posted by MildPossession
Let's just say I would rather watch this again than Zombie Diaries, just terrible. Also, I didn't say I hated Diary of the Dead, just didn't think much of it for a new Zombie movie out. I was paying attention to the film thank you, I saw all the 'social commentary'.

One reason I prefered Land of the Dead was because of the scenes where the Zombies started to show signs of been able to do things for themselves, teamwork and so on(started in Day of the Dead from what I remember), found that aspect of Land of the Dead memorable.

It's fine when the zombies were around on screen in DOTD, it was just the conversations/script between some of the characters that bugged me and the lead actress just annoyed the hell out of me.

Ah yeah, I can understand that. The lead lady got on my nerves too.

Mairuzu
The Amish guy scything himself in the face made this movie for me

Wolfie
Originally posted by Mairuzu
The Amish guy scything himself in the face made this movie for me
That was my favorite part.

Nemesis X
This movie is such a Cloverfield rip-off. The first ducumentary movie was the Blair Witch and it sucked. The second documentary movie was Cloverfield and it was awesome. And now the third documentary movie is Diary of the Dead. If you want my opinion, Cloverfield is between two retarded movies here.

Diary of the Dead is just gonna be another crappy Romero film that we are all gonna hate a day later.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.