Heaven/Afterlife, what's the point?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
If you believe in a Heaven/Afterlife what's the point of it?

What's purpose does your existence serve there?

Alliance
there is no point. Its nothing.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Regret

You mean you don't know bruddah? The Word (i.e., Bible) says that in the presence of the Lord is "fullness of joy." The apostle Paul said that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord...which is far better. In other words we were created to walk with God and have fellowship with Him, not live on earth while He lives in Heaven. God will create a new earth but this time God's throne will be headquartered "here" on earth so that He can be close to His sons and daughters. I can't wait!

Alliance
I cant wait either. Actually, could you leave now and send me a postcard from hell?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
I cant wait either. Actually, could you leave now and send me a postcard from hell?

Yes, I was wondering if JIA was giving us a suicide threat. eek!

Alliance
I plead the 5th...and....yes, I'm a US citizen on US soil.

Regret
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
You mean you don't know bruddah? The Word (i.e., Bible) says that in the presence of the Lord is "fullness of joy." The apostle Paul said that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord...which is far better. In other words we were created to walk with God and have fellowship with Him, not live on earth while He lives in Heaven. God will create a new earth but this time God's throne will be headquartered "here" on earth so that He can be close to His sons and daughters. I can't wait!

I know what I believe.

I also know various other people's beliefs. Among Christians the idea of afterlife/Heaven is not cut and dry, let alone people that are not Christian.

Here are some things that turn me off of some people's Heaven:

1 I will not go to some heaven where the point is to only sing praises to God. I don't respect that God enough to do it.

2 I will not go to a heaven where you sit around doing nothing, but be in bliss. Can you say boring.

3 I will not go to an afterlife where repetition of this life occurs. Eventually the whole point would become a way to end one boredom for another.

I would rather hell to many Christian's perspective on heaven, your description may be one of those. I am curious as to various individuals takes on it, as I am curious if there are perspectives that sound interesting.

JesusIsAlive
I know what I believe.

I also know various other people's beliefs. Among Christians the idea of afterlife/Heaven is not cut and dry, let alone people that are not Christian.

1 I will not go to some heaven where the point is to only sing praises to God. I don't respect that God enough to do it.

2 I will not go to a heaven where you sit around doing nothing, but be in bliss. Can you say boring.

3 I will not go to an afterlife where repetition of this life occurs. Eventually the whole point would become a way to end one boredom for another.

I would rather hell to many Christian's perspective on heaven, your description may be one of those. I am curious as to various individuals takes on it, as I am curious if there are perspectives that sound interesting.

Regret, are you saved? If so, why do you believe that you are?

Alliance
Please don't tell him.

Just say that you are actually a radioative opossum that somehow learned to type and converted to mormonism.

Or just tell him that you're a born again Mormon.

Regret
Regret, are you saved? If so, why do you believe that you are?

Lol, JIA I am not interested in whether or not I am saved. I don't believe that anyone that focuses on being saved is saved. That is for the proud, self-indulgent, self-obsessed, selfish people to care about. All I care about is trying to help other people be better people.

My answer is that I don't know. I believe I live in a manner that is good and in keeping with the teachings of Christ. I may be, but I wouldn't make the judgement, that is Christ's call, me making it would probably lead to pride and inaction. I'd probably come across as a self-righteous bag of crap if I claimed it.

Besides I'm actually a radioactive opossum that somehow learned to type and converted to Mormonism.

And my being saved isn't why I started this thread, it was curiosity about what others think.

JesusIsAlive
Lol, JIA I am not interested in whether or not I am saved. I don't believe that anyone that focuses on saving themselves is saved. That is for the proud, self-indulgent, self-obsessed, selfish people to care about. All I care about is trying to help other people be better people.

My answer is that I don't know. I believe I live in a manner that is good and in keeping with the teachings of Christ. I may be, but I wouldn't make the judgement, that is Christ's call, me making it would probably lead to pride and inaction. I'd probably come across as a self-righteous bag of crap if I claimed it.

Besides I'm actually a radioactive opossum that somehow learned to type and converted to Mormonism.

And my being saved isn't why I started this thread, it was curiosity about what others think.

That is not what they Bible says. The Bible says that you (me, and anyone else that wants to get in on the action) can know.

Read:

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Did you catch that? He said that you may know that you have eternal life (i.e., salvation). You don't have to wonder about aimlessly or in a desultory manner about your salvation if you are truly trusting in Jesus and not your religion or some tradition. You are a Church of Latter Day Saints adherent correct?

I never said anything about you or anyone else saving themselves. You couldn't save yourself if you wanted to that is why God the Father sent Jesus.

Alliance
laughing

I thought to myself..."damn, Regret didn't take any of my stupid ideas and actually used logical ones."

and then i went "HAH!...Oh wait, he didn't."

But good call. I'd like to se how he responds. I'm sure I'll be dissappointed.

{edit} yup. Dissappointing.

Regret
I never said anything about you or anyone else saving themselves. You couldn't save yourself if you wanted to that is why God the Father sent Jesus.

Lol, I didn't say anything about me saving myself either.

I edited and fixed my typo in the earlier post

JesusIsAlive
Lol, I didn't say anything about me saving myself either.

I edited and fixed my typo in the earlier post

Aiiight.

Alliance
Regret, you managed to shut him up?

Can we get this man a drink? beer

Regret
stick out tongue
cheers

Alliance
stick out tongue

jaden101
do you have to be "walking with God" at the time when he creates this "new earth" in order to get a good spot by the river or wherever

given that christianity doesn't warrant reincarnation then you wont be getting out of heaven anyway...God will just leave you there...take that in the face dead christians

essentially god will wait for everyone to die...wait til heaven is jam packed full of people and think "**** this for a laugh...it's gettin a bit crowded in here...i'm off"

laughing

Alliance
Then he'll vacation to Florida and have margaritias with the athiests.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by jaden101
do you have to be "walking with God" at the time when he creates this "new earth" in order to get a good spot by the river or wherever

given that christianity doesn't warrant reincarnation then you wont be getting out of heaven anyway...God will just leave you there...take that in the face dead christians

essentially god will wait for everyone to die...wait til heaven is jam packed full of people and think "**** this for a laugh...it's gettin a bit crowded in here...i'm off"

laughing

You got my side crackin'. You should do stand up. No you shouldn't. And ya'll thought ole' JesusIsAlive didn't have a sense of humor.

jaden101
You got my side crackin'. You should do stand up. No you shouldn't.

pointing out the blatent and obvious flaws in your beliefs just gives a big fat chubby with which to have premarital sex with several different Godless heathen bitches and pagan swine sluts all on camera with which to sell to perverts

doesn't modern life just rock...

mind you...those Romans...they were very religious and were regular **** machines too...

JesusIsAlive
pointing out the blatent and obvious flaws in your beliefs just gives a big fat chubby with which to have premarital sex with several different Godless heathen bitches and pagan swine sluts all on camera with which to sell to perverts

doesn't modern life just rock...

mind you...those Romans...they were very religious and were regular **** machines too...

Are you on Prozac? I don't even know what you are talking about 99% of the time. Although I am willing to listen.

jaden101
why would i be on prozac?...we established that you are the one who appears to have a mental problem....not me....not only arguing with yourself about whether i should be a stand up comedian...but irrationally believing in something/someone you have never seen with your eyes, heard with your ears or touched with your hands....and no i'm not talking about a womans bits....cause there is actually evidence for that...

Alliance
Pointelss. If I wasn't on ignore...I'd waste my time.

jaden101
Pointelss. If I wasn't on ignore...I'd waste my time.

????

Alliance
JIA has me on ignore.

jaden101
JIA has me on ignore.

why?

JesusIsAlive
why would i be on prozac?...we established that you are the one who appears to have a mental problem....not me....not only arguing with yourself about whether i should be a stand up comedian...but irrationally believing in something/someone you have never seen with your eyes, heard with your ears or touched with your hands....and no i'm not talking about a womans bits....cause there is actually evidence for that...

Then there must be millions of people in the world with a mental problem. Run for your lives!

Alliance
Are there really that many of you?

jaden101
Then there must be millions of people in the world with a mental problem. Run for your lives!

you said it....

what other explanation is there for belieiving in someone you've never seen, heard, touched, or experienced in any real sense

JesusIsAlive
you said it....

what other explanation is there for belieiving in someone you've never seen, heard, touched, or experienced in any real sense

faith. Any questions?

Alliance
Are you done yet?

jaden101
faith. Any questions?

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you

But I've got to think twice
Before I give my heart away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I
Need some time off from that emotion
Time to pick my heart up off the floor
And when that love comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a strong man baby
But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta have faith...

http://www.lyrics007.com/George%20Michael%20Lyrics/Faith%20Lyrics.html

not a favourite song of mine...but it has its merits

Alliance
This isn't the poetry forum.

Jim Reaper
Good question. What is the point? How do you know there will be an afterlife... What if this "God" person has tired of all of you, and simply wipes the slate clean and begins anew. He's all powerful right? What if he decides to save no one. I don't see what benefit humans would be for a God... Why would something so omnipotent want a kingdom of humans. Does he just have a huge ego, and he needs praise? How could man benefit God? Do you clean his throne? Take out the garbage? Why would he need you?

Alliance
Dinner.

Jim Reaper
Dinner.

Only chefs and maids are saved... Maybe janitors.

debbiejo
What's the purpose to an after life??

Well I believe we all return to where we came from. And for this purpose there could be many reasons. Our lives could be only an experience and with it we would take what we've learned and return to discuss it possibly. Then return for new experiences (If one believes in reincarnation)....If WE chose our paths, then we are responsible for it and find how we react to it. It's all part of a creating process. Us being the creators.

Darth Kreiger
Do we get super Angel powers when we die?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Do we get super Angel powers when we die? Perhaps we will be free of these bodies and be more in tune with what we are able to accomplish. Just as now we do have some creative processes with quantum sciences along with metaphysics........

Alliance
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Do we get super Angel powers when we die?

If Angel powers are rot, mold, and an increasing number of fluid filled holes....and pushing up daisies...

yes.

Punkyhermy
that's not for me to know in this lifetime.

Alliance
if you can never know...how do you know there is something to know.

Jim Reaper
If Angel powers are rot, mold, and an increasing number of fluid filled holes....and pushing up daisies...

yes.

Don't forget being a delicious worm-feast!

Alliance
Yums.

crazy
You got my side crackin'. You should do stand up. No you shouldn't. And ya'll thought ole' JesusIsAlive didn't have a sense of humor.

On a side note, how old are you really?

Alliance
Interesting Question.

Punkyhermy
if you can never know...how do you know there is something to know.

how do you know there is nothing to know?

Alliance
Why do you magically assume that there is?

It is likely that there is nothing to know. Extraordinary things don't happen. Do you assume that I'm some eccentric billionare, or some schmuck with a computer?

Storm

For some, it seems to flow from the idea that life is too sad and contradictory, and that mankind therefore needs an afterlife where the soul can be at rest and content in the warm glow of an all good existence.

Lord Urizen
Lol, JIA I am not interested in whether or not I am saved. I don't believe that anyone that focuses on being saved is saved. That is for the proud, self-indulgent, self-obsessed, selfish people to care about. All I care about is trying to help other people be better people.

Then You're a really smart and really kind hearted person.

Atleast you're not a hypocrit...

laughing

JIA may condemn your "curiosity" but I admire it. I think any Afterlife would have just as much point as the life we have now...what's the point to existing in the first place?

Maybe there doesn't have to be a point...whether our afterlife includes Heaven, Hell, reincarnation, Nirvana, Hades, dreamworld, or whatever...if they exist, then we don't really have the choice in the matter of where we end up....we don't send our souls anywhere...we don't even know if we have souls.

The only thing I can base on religious logic is that we choose what we do and how we live in this life, and then a superior force determines where we go afterward...i dont beleive you could ever voluntarily send yourself anywhere when we truly have no power over it.

What makes the most sense to me is Reincarnation...energy cannot be destroyed, so i doubt that we become nothing when we die...at the same time, i dont buy "Heaven and Hell" since there have been other mythologies with those ideas way before the mainstream religions...

I just hope that wherever I end up, I'm there with the people I love...and that i also get to meet new people.

What upsets me about Reincarnation is the possibility that in the next life, you may not see your current family members again...like you have to start all over or something. sad

Lord Urizen

That's not true. I think you are the most hilarious person on these forums yes

Regret
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Then You're a really smart and really kind hearted person.

Atleast you're not a hypocrit...

laughing

JIA may condemn your "curiosity" but I admire it.

Thanks.

I think any Afterlife would have just as much point as the life we have now...what's the point to existing in the first place?

I agree totally with this concept. I believe that an afterlife has the same purpose/point that this life does.

Maybe there doesn't have to be a point...whether our afterlife includes Heaven, Hell, reincarnation, Nirvana, Hades, dreamworld, or whatever...if they exist, then we don't really have the choice in the matter of where we end up....we don't send our souls anywhere...we don't even know if we have souls.

The only thing I can base on religious logic is that we choose what we do and how we live in this life, and then a superior force determines where we go afterward...i dont beleive you could ever voluntarily send yourself anywhere when we truly have no power over it.

What makes the most sense to me is Reincarnation...energy cannot be destroyed, so i doubt that we become nothing when we die...at the same time, i dont buy "Heaven and Hell" since there have been other mythologies with those ideas way before the mainstream religions...

I just hope that wherever I end up, I'm there with the people I love...and that i also get to meet new people.

What upsets me about Reincarnation is the possibility that in the next life, you may not see your current family members again...like you have to start all over or something. sad

That makes sense.

I do not like the idea of reincarnation, myself. The reason I dislike it is that I do not remember any previous lives. Without memory being continued, there is nothing to be gained from reincarnating imo.

debbiejo
What IF reincarnation is true?.......how would that change you life?

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
What IF reincarnation is true?.......how would that change you life?

It depends on which type of reincarnation. If it is the Hindi view I would better my life and try to make it to a level of reincarnation closer to Brahman. I am unsure as to the aspects of other versions. If we merely reincarnate, then I wouldn't change anything, there is no point, unless of course memory continues from incarnation to incarnation.

debbiejo
Well we all know know through science that energy (which is what we are made of through go) cannot be destroyed............and we do know that hell is not a real place..............(much documentation on it), then what is our choice?..................we go back as the bible said the spirit returns to where it came from which is from the Source of it all.

Quiero Mota
I know what I believe.

blah blah blah...yeah, you hate God. We get the point.

Regret
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
blah blah blah...yeah, you hate God. We get the point.

No, I do not respect the God of the Heaven I mentioned in my post that was quoted. That Heaven is not a place I would like to be, it does not follow that I hate that God, I would merely prefer Hell to that type of Heaven.

Lord Urizen
Thanks.

Just saying it like it is... wink

I agree totally with this concept. I believe that an afterlife has the same purpose/point that this life does.

Yes...it would either have the same point that this life does, Or have no point at all like this life may not....

That makes sense.

I'm glad you think so. smile

I do not like the idea of reincarnation, myself. The reason I dislike it is that I do not remember any previous lives. Without memory being continued, there is nothing to be gained from reincarnating imo.

I sort of beleive that if Reincarnation is indeed true, then much of what we learn stays with us from one life to another.

Do you ever beleive that Morality can be intuitive, and not just subjective or taught ? If so, it may be possible that the morals you hold true to yourself, that did not spawn from your religion, could come from lessons you may have learned in a previous life.

I think if Reincarnation is true, then we are not supposed to remember our past lives, because then we could not focus on this one...we would be too caught up with what we didn't finish in our past lives....u know...broken heart, failed relationships, dead relatives, etc.

But if Reincarnation is true, then what I don't like about it is you may not see your current mother, father, lover, etc. in the next life, and that's heartbreaking. sad

debbiejo
If energy cannot be destroyed, then where do we go?

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by debbiejo
If energy cannot be destroyed, then where do we go?

Peices of our energy may scatter and form the energy of another person, animal, plant, etc.

Maybe we become magma lol who knows...

Regret
I sort of beleive that if Reincarnation is indeed true, then much of what we learn stays with us from one life to another.

I'm skeptical of this, it would show a lack of progress greater than I believe should exist. Progress would be exponential in such a situation.

Do you ever beleive that Morality can be intuitive, and not just subjective or taught ? If so, it may be possible that the morals you hold true to yourself, that did not spawn from your religion, could come from lessons you may have learned in a previous life.

I do not. I do believe it is possible, and I see how such a belief fits this discussion, but I doubt it. I believe morals are totally learned. I believe some are learned by the individual without another teaching them, through experience with the consequences of action.

I think if Reincarnation is true, then we are not supposed to remember our past lives, because then we could not focus on this one...we would be too caught up with what we didn't finish in our past lives....u know...broken heart, failed relationships, dead relatives, etc.

Yes, but then how could you learn from that? Progress could be hampered by the lack of such knowledge as well.

But if Reincarnation is true, then what I don't like about it is you may not see your current mother, father, lover, etc. in the next life, and that's heartbreaking. sad

If reincarnation is true, such relationships hold no real value. One would have an infinite number of each of these entities.

Lord Urizen
I'm skeptical of this, it would show a lack of progress greater than I believe should exist. Progress would be exponential in such a situation.

But do you imagine that a human being can progress THAT MUCH in one lifetime? That is what troubles me about "this is the only life" hypothesis...

Heaven and Hell are the reward and punishment for either progressing or NOT progressing in this life, essentially...

How can ONE LIFETIME be enough for our soul to truly mature ?

I do not. I do believe it is possible, and I see how such a belief fits this discussion, but I doubt it. I believe morals are totally learned. I believe some are learned by the individual without another teaching them, through experience with the consequences of action.

I can see where you are coming from, because if you notice children can be very cruel at a young age (you know the way kids tease and mock other kids) but as we get older, we tend to realize the pain caused by such behavior, so most of us try to stop ourselves from engaging in it any further...

Yes, but then how could you learn from that? Progress could be hampered by the lack of such knowledge as well.

Not necessarily...if morality is intuitive, then what we learned can exist within our unconcious mind....u know that only 10% of our brain/mind/psyche is conciously being used and accessed, while the other 90% is not being accessed fully.

You do not have to remember a past life to hold on to its "lessons"...if that even exist....

If reincarnation is true, such relationships hold no real value. One would have an infinite number of each of these entities.

Untrue....

Monogamy is another human construct, that only has as much power and value as WE give it....

It makes a lot of sense to me, if Reincarnation exists....perhaps we are meant to unite with EVERY SINGLE human soul in some way, and perhaps our multiple lives are the ways we unite and learn from every other individual.

The idea of Heaven and being with your "loved ones" again, but never really getting to know the rest of the world extensively, because we only have one life, seems way too limitted to me....sorry

Would I want to give up my family to learn to love other people ? Hellz no...but it would make sense that if we are going to truly all love one another, then we must have more reason and motive that just "oh there humans like us"....

When someone is your lover, or your freind or family, you will love them much more than someone else, on average.

How can you truly say you love human kind, and you love everyone on this Earth, when you only know less than 1% of this world's population?

Call this a crazy theory, but if the goal of life is to learn to love everyone here, then you have to know everyone here...and reincarnation makes the most sense in terms of being a method successful in getting you to grow up with and live with new people every life...

Regret
But do you imagine that a human being can progress THAT MUCH in one lifetime? That is what troubles me about "this is the only life" hypothesis...

Heaven and Hell are the reward and punishment for either progressing or NOT progressing in this life, essentially...

How can ONE LIFETIME be enough for our soul to truly mature ?

Mormons view "Heaven" as just the next step in an eternal progression. Man will always progress. Mormons believe that man may become a God. By the time we reach that point, God will be at a point relative to his current from our position, although, at this point I am unsure of how such could be if he is what we believe him to be. But, this life is a small period in the maturation of man.

I can see where you are coming from, because if you notice children can be very cruel at a young age (you know the way kids tease and mock other kids) but as we get older, we tend to realize the pain caused by such behavior, so most of us try to stop ourselves from engaging in it any further...

Then we can see this concept from each others perspective. I would say that realization comes from experience, while it seems you would attribute it to "intuition."

Not necessarily...if morality is intuitive, then what we learned can exist within our unconcious mind....u know that only 10% of our brain/mind/psyche is conciously being used and accessed, while the other 90% is not being accessed fully.

You do not have to remember a past life to hold on to its "lessons"...if that even exist....

I do not believe that knowledge without context is often useful. Given this, without the remembrance the "lessons" may be misinterpreted. But then, perhaps this would explain the atrocities that occur.

Untrue....

Monogamy is another human construct, that only has as much power and value as WE give it....

I wasn't referencing monogamy, but I understand your position here. I do not believe man capable of maintaining that many relational ties, over time they would become of less value. Value is determined by supply and demand, and many laws of economics apply to psychology, this is one of them.

It makes a lot of sense to me, if Reincarnation exists....perhaps we are meant to unite with EVERY SINGLE human soul in some way, and perhaps our multiple lives are the ways we unite and learn from every other individual.

It is an interesting concept, some form of entire familial linking is required to pass into true enlightenment. Mormons believe that the entire genealogy of Adam must be linked, this will be the main purpose of the thousand years following Christ's return. I believe the concept is similar, although not the same, as your idea.

The idea of Heaven and being with your "loved ones" again, but never really getting to know the rest of the world extensively, because we only have one life, seems way too limitted to me....sorry

I do not know what type of "getting to know" people occurs in the Mormon view of Heaven, so I can't comment on this, although if you desire such, I am sure it is in some way possible.

Would I want to give up my family to learn to love other people ? Hellz no...but it would make sense that if we are going to truly all love one another, then we must have more reason and motive that just "oh there humans like us"....

Makes sense, although, I believe that men should love one another because one wants to love one another. I believe that having a mandate/motivation/reason for loving others demeans that love. I find Heaven and the promise of it, and Hell and the escape from it, to be the wrong motivation, due to the selfish nature of such. I believe a person should love another because he loves them, not for any other purpose. I don't fit this, but it is the goal I have for my existence, I just may never reach it.

When someone is your lover, or your freind or family, you will love them much more than someone else, on average

How can you truly say you love human kind, and you love everyone on this Earth, when you only know less than 1% of this world's population?

If you love people for the sake of loving them, you do not need to know them to achieve this, imo.

Call this a crazy theory, but if the goal of life is to learn to love everyone here, then you have to know everyone here...and reincarnation makes the most sense in terms of being a method successful in getting you to grow up with and live with new people every life...

It makes sense, but I cannot get over the forgetting aspect of the idea of reincarnation, that seems too limiting to me.

Lord Urizen
Mormons view "Heaven" as just the next step in an eternal progression. Man will always progress. Mormons believe that man may become a God. By the time we reach that point, God will be at a point relative to his current from our position, although, at this point I am unsure of how such could be if he is what we believe him to be. But, this life is a small period in the maturation of man.

It's a very interesting, but not totally original concept. A nice one though...Certain forms of Buddhism also beleive in becoming one with the creation force through a series of cycles, progressing to become one with the unifying force....

I can definately buy, however, your assertion that this life is a "small period in the maturation of man"...because this life is too short, any way you look at it. There has to be SOME POINT....atleast I thnk there does.

Now, as for your idea of us becoming a "God" or "one with God"....it this is true, then I beleive God embodies ALL, the way Lil Bitchiness believes it...

I thnk we are all God, aspects of him(or her) who must unite to become complete...I honestly think the ONLY thing keeping us away from this supreme being is DISUNITY, not the myth of "sin"

Doing anything good or bad, that aims at disunifying people, whether it be propaganda, lies, rumors, gossip, murder, rape, insults, offenses, cliques, discrimination, etc.....are the things taht keep us away from this "God"

I think once we learn to Love and ACCEPT eachother, then we become united, and then we become one with each other, and one with creation....call me idealistic, but to make that makes the most sense.

To me, in terms of morality, anything that aims to unite us all is good, and anything that aims to separate us is bad.

Then we can see this concept from each others perspective. I would say that realization comes from experience, while it seems you would attribute it to "intuition."

I think it could be both....even when you are young and naive, you don't have to have proir moral experience to know that your father beating up your mother is "wrong"...somehow you just know it is.

I do not believe that knowledge without context is often useful. Given this, without the remembrance the "lessons" may be misinterpreted. But then, perhaps this would explain the atrocities that occur.

Knowledge without context can be more useful than an entire textbook....there are many people who claim thier "gut instinct" or "intuition" has solved problems that thier logic could not handle....

I believe we need to rely on BOTH logic AND emotion, not just one or the other...

You who beleives so much in the Bible, yet you must realize how little logic the Bible contains.....yet you dont really NEED that logic to have Faith, now do you ???? Doesn't something inside you already trust the Bible without needing logical proof of it ? (i know this sounds ironic for me to state that, but think about it....)

I wasn't referencing monogamy, but I understand your position here. I do not believe man capable of maintaining that many relational ties, over time they would become of less value. Value is determined by supply and demand, and many laws of economics apply to psychology, this is one of them.

IT depends...some people can value another person forever, while most of the time we outgrow each other.....

It is an interesting concept, some form of entire familial linking is required to pass into true enlightenment. Mormons believe that the entire genealogy of Adam must be linked, this will be the main purpose of the thousand years following Christ's return. I believe the concept is similar, although not the same, as your idea.

Sounds cool, but what if we truly evolved from apes ? Does that lessen our connection or origin ? It shouldn't...since when are we so much more important than Apes ? Why would it be an insult to have come from them ?

I don't think Human Beings are separate from the Animal Kingdom....we all inhabit this world, from the tiny insects, to human beings, to giant whales, etc. We all belong to this world, and we are ALL related....

I do not know what type of "getting to know" people occurs in the Mormon view of Heaven, so I can't comment on this, although if you desire such, I am sure it is in some way possible.

I don't truly desire it, but if that's the way it is, then I guess I have to deal with it....

If Heaven and Hell are our final destinations, then what a waste i think....how do we get to know everyone else in life ?

Makes sense, although, I believe that men should love one another because one wants to love one another. I believe that having a mandate/motivation/reason for loving others demeans that love. I find Heaven and the promise of it, and Hell and the escape from it, to be the wrong motivation, due to the selfish nature of such. I believe a person should love another because he loves them, not for any other purpose. I don't fit this, but it is the goal I have for my existence, I just may never reach it.

I beleive Love happens on its own...I agree that love should not require a reason....but then I assume you agree with me that Love happens on its own...

I do not beleive you can choose to love someone...I thnk it happens by itself...now, if you have made yourself love someone, then you need to teach me how to do that..... wink

There are a lot of women (and some men) who are attracted to me, that I have no desire to be with, nor have any romantic/sexual attraction too...if you can tell me as to how I can make myself like these people (so that im not lonely) please tell me....thanks.

Oh, and another question.....can you make someone love you ? lol

If you love people for the sake of loving them, you do not need to know them to achieve this, imo.

Even still...you shouldn't need a reason to love, even if its for the sake of love....pure love has no reason...it just does..it just loves....no conditions, no reasons, no questions.

True Love is not jealous and does not judge...that is why I do not beleive in the Christian God...the Christian God is jealous and judgemental.....

It makes sense, but I cannot get over the forgetting aspect of the idea of reincarnation, that seems too limiting to me.

I understand, but reincarnation seems to be less limitted than the concepts of Heaven or Hell.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.