The truth behind Jedi vanishing at death!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Heinous
George Lucas was originally going to have Ben "return" in episode 6 shortly before Luke confronted Darth Vader and Darth Sidious/Palpatine. Ben was ghost to appear before Luke, then his ghost form would become "flesh and blood" again. Ben (and Yoda's ghost) was to help Luke battle Darth Sidious during the Force Lightning attack. At the end of the movie Yoda and Anakin Skywalker were to appear as ghosts (which they did), then regain their flesh again. This was in the orignal script of episode 6. The Return Of the Jedi script was rewritten several times as George Lucas threw ideas he didn't like and replaced them with better ones (as he often does). This idea of Jedi returning after being killed is too farfetched. Not that I don't like it, it just takes away too much. George wanted to make the confrontation much more dramatic. He did so completely by dumping the idea of Ben returning "in the flesh" and later dumping the idea of Ben and Yoda's ghost's jumping into the confrontation. It made Luke character more independent and powerful. He triumphed by himself (okay, with the help of the "returned" Anakin Skywalker) and the Sith were totally defeated. Master Qui-Gon Jinn didn't vanish because . . . it wasn't in the script (literally)! Now, if Master Jinn will return as a ghost to guide Ben (and maybe Anakin) I do not know. It depends on George Lucas and how he wants the story.

Tom Gon Jinn
He probably will. Although, maybe Lucas just wanted Qui Gon to say something to Obi Wan before he died, so that was why he didn't dissapear.

queeq
Yoda said something right before he died. No, Lucas definately wants to expand on that disappearing act. He said so in several interviews. We'll find out more about it in the Ep2 and 3.

queeq out

Gundark
You're right queeq. Yoda said "skywalker" with his dying breath. And I bet that smelled just wonderful. Hehehe. stick out tongue

UnknownBountyHunter
laughing out loud Gundark your too much. I personally think GL is going to lay some goodies on us for Ep. II. As with the after death thing, the main reason he wouldn't have them come back to life, is (As Dim's Old Sig but it so mildly). He is merely a softie right now, and him allowing Jedi to return to life would make him an Ewok! People would get the impression "What a kids flick" or "He isn't man enough to have someone die" type of deal, so he stuck with his instincts and just had their "Spirit" continue with the epic. Great Job GL, I salute you! smile

Gundark
Obviously Ben HAD to come back in ghost form in order to explain his "certain point of view" poodoo he laid on Luke in ANH. I don't think any Jedi should ever return to flesh and blood, that's just too incredible, even for SW. Actually a ghost form can explain a lot of things that could otherwise only be explained in a novel...what was actually intended in a situation or what a particular character was thinking.

krado7000
one theory someone told me was that inorder for a jedi to reapear in a ghost form they had to learn how to do it by using the force, yoda taught kenobi how to do it sometime between episode 2 and 3, also anakin knew how to do it, qui-gon had never learnt how to.

Dim
Yeah I had heard that before..though it would seem like something that more jedi would know..maybe it's only for the most powerful of jedi

BTW welcome to the board, krado smile .

krautrocker
I am sure I have read somewhere that the main reason why obi wan returned in ep 5 as a ghost was because guiness was a bit peed he was being killed off and would only agree to do the film if he could come back in ep5 and 6. I also seem to remember the same artical saying this is how alec guiness also negotiated a percentage of the merchadise as payment. Clever clever man.

krado7000
thanks dim, im not sure i believe that theroy either cause as u say surly more jedi must have known.

krautrocker i think guiness instead of being paid up front was offered 10% of the merchandise as payment or something like that, not a bad business move, harrison ford also had a similar deal i think.

Ushgarak
Whoa! I think it is vitally important that Anakin does NOT know of the 'ghost trick'! If he did, then Vader would have known what Obi-Wan did after the duel on the Death Star- hence the "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" line. It is clear that Vader is quite confused by what happened, and by extension the Jedi as a whole don't know.

However- that leaves the question, how did the returned Anakin manage to do it at the end of ROTJ? This is a mystery. Perhaps it will be answerd later, or perhaps it's just a matter of "spiritual strength" or something.

But Vader does NOT know!

finti
I read someplace that Yoda thaught Obi Wan the trick of dissappering and reappering after death I think you have to be very strong with the force to do this "trick".

queeq
How does one learn that? Sounds like you only have once chance at trying if it works.

queeq abides

COREWORLD
It has been said that it is all about maintaining your identity within the force after your physical being has ended.....No, i don't know what it means either! smile

Admiral Kettch
A jedi twi'lek named Dashara'cor disappears in the NJO series, as well. Although Lucas could easily ignore that.

queeq
I think it has to do with being in tune with the Force. Qui-Gon was defiant, it is clear he made a mistake about Anakin. However noble he was and strong with the Force, he was not really one with it when he died. Fire has to somehow purge Jedi or something.

I think that "one with the Force" idea is what OB1 and Yoda learned during their hermit days.

Ushgarak
I don't think Qui-Gon was wrong. Dying was a big mistake, of course, but his contention that Anakin's future was "uncertain" rather than definitely dangerous was probably true. Qui-Gon was going to make sure that Anakin turned out good. But Obi-Wan, in the promise to his dying master, thought he could do it as well ('as Yoda instructed me...'), but Obi-Wan just wasn't as wise as Qui-Gon (ironically, seeing the faith Qui-Gon has in him)- not until it is too late (becuase he's clearly wise by the OT, of course, but also greatly disillusioned).

George Lucas says that even Yoda was in error in allowing the Anakin thing to happen. Qui-Gon probably planned even less on Yoda getting it wrong than he planned on dying against Maul! But I think it's unfair to say he clearly made a mistake. People just didn't live up to his legacy.

queeq
Even Lucas said Qui-Gon was wrong. The fact that he didn't disappear at death makes clear he was not fully one with the Force. We may find that noble Qui-Gon was wrong without even knowing it. But only the next episodes will tell us.

Ushgarak
That he doesn't disappear has nothing to do with his balance. As we have already established, disappearing into the Force is NOT the norm, and hence it is not a negative statement on him at all.

As for George Lucas saying Qui-Gon was 'wrong', this is a statement he also applies to Obi-Wan and Yoda. Obviously being wrong is in fashion if such unimpeachable people can be mistaken. They seemed to do fine when they died.

Besides, no matter which way you cut it, Anakin IS the Chosen One. If it wasn't for Qui-Gon, there would have been no-one to re-balance the Force, ever. It seems unfair to accuse Qui-Gon of error.

queeq
No it isn't. He should have known better to make OB1 swear to train the boy, as impetuous and inexperience as he was. OB1 hadn't even passed the trials yet!! Even Yoda disagreed about Anakin to be trained. So Qui-Gon was in error, so was OB1 but we already knew that from the OT.

Darth V
To return to the subject, about Jedi vanishing.
Some of my friends ones talked about that. Their theory was, that a Jedi had to prepare himself, before he died (to do that vanishing trick). Yoda was old and he knew he was dying. Obi Wan proppably knew it was his last trip when he met Luke, Threepio and Artoo in the dessert. And he sertenly knew when he confronted Vader. Anakin/Vader and Qui-Gon wasn't prepared! They first knew they would die, when they were already badly injured.

Could this be it?

Dim
Okay, I'm gonna pull this thought way out of left field. What if Disappearing is something new to the jedi..what if it's a new development in their evolution with the force.. It could happen..I mean most Jedi aren't concieved by midi's either are they?..

Or of course maybe it's a bit of Sith knowledge that they figure out..

queeq
Vader didn't disappear at death, so no Sith trick there. Sorry.

Ushgarak
Hang on. Vader DID disappear at death. Otherwise he wouldn't have been in ghost form at the end of ROTJ, which also knocks the surprise theory on the head, I'm afraid.

As for some form of new evolution, that is entirely possible. The whole disappearing trick is meant to be an Obi-Wan/Yoda plot for the next two episodes anyway, so it will be something mysterious.

Here is the simple list of facts that we know:

1. Obi-Wan did it, at a point when he wasn't even wounded so it can be done at will.
2. Yoda did it, when he was critically ill.
3. Vader did not know it was possible (which annihilates the Sith-trick theory).
4. Yet Anakin was still able to do it when he died, presumbaly making him the third ever Jedi to do it (unless someone like Windu does it first).
5. Qui-Gon does NOT do it even though he had plenty of time, nor did anyone expect him to

Oh and Queeg, seeing Qui-Gon was dying at the time, I think getting Obi-Wan to do the job for him was the best solution available at the time. If he had had eight hours dying time to impart some more vital wisdom on Obi-Wan I'm sure he would have done, but needs must.

And Yoda's decision to NOT train Anakin may be HIS big mistake, so Yoda may be in the wrong there, and Qui-Gon in the right.

Besides, ultimately, Anakin came good in the end. So Qui-Gon WAS right, and there's really no other way to see it.

Admiral Kettch
Anakin does not disappear when he died. Disappearing and reappearing in ghost form have nothing to do with each other, unless his coming back was a fluke. Such as Yoda bringing Anakin back in ghost form to appear to Luke as a reward.

Dim
Actually how do we know that he didn't disappear?...he might have.. As for Yoda..I don't think there's much to suggest that you can pull a trick like that..and it doesn't seem like something GL would want to suggest.IMVHO..OC.

queeq
Ushgarak, are you pulling me the "What I told you is true from a certain point of view" line on me? laughing out loud

Vader did not disappear, he was burnt up. After that he appeared as a ghost. It may be a reference to a pruging fire. I reckon the same might happen to Qui-Gon. This disappearing and burning thing is one of the things Lucas will explain to us in the enxt two episodes. So that covers Vader.

As for Qui-Gon's mistake, I think at this time, that Qui-Gon might have been the only one really capable of training him. He was the only one who really believed in him and was moivated to see the prophecy fulfilled. He should have known better, but hey, he was dying. If he wasn't we wouldn't have had the OT or the PT. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
It was a little 'point-of-view"-esque, wasn't it?

I'd like to state for the record that I am absolutely certain that the disappearing and the ghost form is directly linked. It always seemed pretty obviousd to me, and I am surprised that some people don't think so. So I take Anakin's appearance in ROTJ as direct evidence that Vader disappeared inside his suit, shortly after he said his last words to Luke.

If they ARE two seperate things, then they are BOTH mysterious things that none of the Jedi know about, that Obi-Wan and Yoda will discover during episodes II and III (and I hope I don't have to justify that again). Rather more credible for them to both be the same thing, yeah?

As for Qui-Gon... oh, I don't know, I'm just very sympathetic to him. Dying ruins anyone's perfect plan, and I don't see whty he should be judged for it. And I just don't see why, if it's a balance thing, he doesn't get to disappear and Obi-Wan does. Obi-Wan did hell of alot worse than hi, after all.

That's a nice signature pic thing, Queeg.

JediOasis
Anakin DID disappear shortly after he died. In an interview RM said that Luke was burning the Vader suit but Anakin was not inside.

queeq
Well that's EU then. We don't SEE him disappearing. So far the movie statistics speak against it: two die,disappear and are not burned and two die, don't disappear and ARE burned.

thanks for the compliment Ushgarak, but all honour should got to Milady Dim. She made it.

JediOasis
But I'm pretty sure if the Executive Producer of the PT says that Anakin did disappear then I am pretty sure it happened. I don't think its something that he would have "guessed" on cause that wouldn't have made Lucas to happy.

Ushgarak
If RM said it, it's almost certainly true.Like I say, I thought it was pretty obvious.

GL really put the cat among the pigeons when Qui-GOn didn't disappear, didn't he? He's probably very happy at all this speculation.

In retrospect, it was pretty obvious there was going to be a mystery to it, though. From the moment Alec Guiness said "Strike me down and I will become far more powerful than you can possibly imagine", GL told us that the disappearing trick was an unheard of thing.

Even if he did make up Obi-Wan's death on the spot.

queeq
I agree that it was unheard of. So where would Anakin have learned how to do it. Probably not even Palpy was able to do that. But, hey, GL said the disappearing of the KEdi would be explained in the PT. And as RM, well, he wasn't the Exec of the OT. And I honestly doubt that GL ever wrote Anakin's diappearing in the script. It is probably a twist he makes now to make it work. But I stick to what the movies show and they quite distinctly show Yoda and OB1 disappearing and not Anakin. It also sounds a little silly to burn an empty costume, besides I have to check but it does look kind of filled.

JediOasis
Yeah, but wouldn't Luke have had a little bit of trouble dragging his very large father up the ramp while the Death Star was being destroyed, and then putting him on top on the burning funereal pyre? He would have burnt the suit for symbolism. It marked the end of the Sith Lords when the suit became nothing more than ash.

queeq
I don't know. He did a good job supporting him to the hangar. Dragging him on board the shuttle with a little force power should pose no problems.

As for dragging him off, I'm sure he would have some help from other rebels. After all he was a Rebel Commander.

Gundark
I think when Luke landed on Endor, he landed away from where everybody was, built the funeral pyre and burnt the suit. THEN joined that nauseating Ewok celebration. I don't think he would have wanted anybody at all to see him dragging Vader's body or suit off the shuttle, let alone ask for help. I mean, can you imagine the look on the rebels faces ? Vader was their worst enemy next to the emporer for a LONG time. They're not gonna jump to help just like that cause Luke asks them. They'd be like, whoa, what the heck is this now ? It would be too much for Luke to explain, too soon. AND I still think Luke managing to get to the hangar by himself, let alone help a dying Vader, after that force lightning attack is UNBELIEVEABLE !!!! And nobody between the throne room and the hangar stops or
says anything to Luke or Vader ?????? This whole scenario just eats me up. I find that whole ending sequence to be so frustrating...and then pile those goofy dancing Ewoks on top of it. GACK !!!!! I think the whole end to ROTJ should have been different. Or at least better explained.

queeq
Not explained, please, not explained. Never explain.

But it is a little strange, I agree. But then again, when the whole station is blowing I think you could care less about the guy you feared most who's having fun with his new found son.

And about Vader, well, we don't SEE him disappear. That's it. IF we see Qui-Gon again in the PT, I am sure Vader didn't disappear.

Ushgarak
But we DO see him in ghost form, and we have every indication that the two are linked!

Dim
Yeah..it seems pretty much a given at this point.

queeq
We don't know that. The burning might be like another form of purge. Like when you've not become one with the Force totally, you need to be burned to reach that status. That's why I said, if we see Qui-Gon as a ghost again, I'm pretty sure that's what the fire is for.

And again, we see TWO Jedi disappear very explicitly and we don't see that happening to Vader. There clearly is a difference.

Ushgarak
If Qui-Gon turns up in ghost form, then I am totally wrong, in all probability. However, I can see no possibility in which Qui-Gon would turn up in ghost form, and Anakin would not know about it- which, of course, he doesn't! Because he does not know of the possibility of ghost form!

Like I say, it makes far more sense for the two things- the disappearing and the ghost form- to be linked then it does for them to be seperate, otherwise both major discoveries are made entirely independantly in Episodes II and III, which seems unlikely.

Dim
True..

You know..we could look at this way..Anakin's birth was unexplainable..so why shouldn't his death be the same?

queeq
His death was quite explainable, it's the afterlife thing that's bugging us. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Ho-ho!

Incidentally, (and further apologies to Merc),does anyone think that the 'secret' of the disappearing/ghost trick ois the Midi-Chlorians? When Obi-Wan says in ESB that he is forbidden to interfere, is this because this is the Will of the FOrce, told to him by the Midi-Chlorians, who are responsible for brigning him back?

Heck, maybe the disappearing trick is you being pulled into the Force BY the MCs in your body, and then they can project you back into the real world!

Ratcat
Cool idea, and you need very high midichlorian levels to do this.

Yoda was one of the highest, Anakin was the highest ever known. Must mean that Obi-Wan has very high levels too. But sadly Qui Gon was not so well endowed with Midichlorians.

Ushgarak
The only problem is that I find it not very credible that no-one before Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin had had it happen to them before. So maybe the MCs are part of the Propehcy- when Sidiuous unbalances the Force by becoming top dog, the MCs decide that it is fianlly time to help the Jedi agionst the Sith, and return the balance (and in fact they pre-empitvely did that, by conceiving Anaakin). Part of this help is that they pullselected Jedi (Yoda and Obi-Wan) into the Force before they die. Anakin gets pulled in because, well, he is their son after all!

This would mean that Anakin nver properly listened to his MCs, like Qui-Gon told him to. Silly boy.

Ratcat
I didn't think it was such a new thing for Jedi Masters to vanish like that. Just that some did and some didn't.

queeq
Yes, I doubt that it never happened. There must be something to it.

Hey Ush, about OB1 being stopped by the MC's to interfere. Maybe a silly idea, but do you think the ghost-OB1 might consist of only MC's, without the "crude matter"? I mean, SW never talks about soul or spirit. Only about the Force and midi's.

Ratcat
I think thew soul and spirit idea is intrinsically linked in with the Force. Everyone is linked to the force but only Jedi/Sith/etc have the ability to use it in an enhanced way.

Also, I agree that it is likely that others have vanished at death to become one with the force, after all Obi Wan knew when he raised his sabre in salute to Vader that he would vanish.

"If you strike me down I will become more powerful......etc"

queeq
Yes, but the question remains if he learned that together with Yoda after quite an ordeal or because it is part of the Jedi in touch with the Unifying or Living Force? It could be anything at this stage really.

Ushgarak
Hey, Unifying Force vs. Living Force... that's from the nutter's web site, isn't it?

And no, Masters do NOT do the disappearing or ghost tricks. At all. Or Anakin would have learnt about them from his training, and he didn't! It is a TOTALLY new thing that Yoda and Obi-Wan do (excluding the possiblilty that it was done before recorded history)

Dim
Yeah, but what's the point of the vanishing trick if it doesn't have anythign to do with coming back as a ghost?..and Anakin did...so I don't know if that really holds up.

Ushgarak
Hang on, I'm confused now. Are you commenting on me, Dim, or someone beforehand? Because I support the idea that the two are linked. I always have done. I don't believe anything I said contradicts that. The fact that Anakin makes it into the Force at the end, after disappearing (Note to queeq- after PRESUMABLY disappearing) is the big, big mystery, and I imagine it's intentional.

But in any case, he did not know about it at any point beforehand. In some way, he had a flash of inspiration at his death.

Dim
Sorry Ush..I didn't realize you were including Anakin in with Yoda and OB1...laughing out loud

queeq
Presumably! Exactly, Ush, and thanks for thinking about me. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
SO, at this point I think we can at least try and come up with a theoretical idea about the Prophecy, disappearing and ghost tricks, and the Midi-Chlorians

The Prophecy was made by the Midi-Chlorians, who with their extreme force empathy could see the coming problem of imbalance and devised the 'Chosen One" as a means of countering it. So, when Qui-Gon mentions that Anakin waspossibly 'conceived by the Midi-Chlorians", Windui immediately leaps in and asks if Qui-Gon is referring to the Prophecy, suggesting a strong Midi-CHlorian link (although Windu coul;d just be talking about what Qui-GOn is saying in general rathe than that specfic sentence).

However, for whatever reason, it all goes startlingly wrong with their Chosen One, and he worsens the Balance rather than restoring it. When it becomes clear this has happened, the MCs come upwith a new emergency plan- they communicate with the Jedi Obi_wan and Yoda, presumably the most capable still alive, and propose a new plan via which they can teach Anakin's son. To try and ensutre the success of the plan, they offer the two Jedi a chance to return after their death if need be,to carry on their task. But the price was heavy- they could ONLYfocus on their taskof teaching Anakin's child, and not interfere with the universe in any other way.

Whteher the MCs knew that Luke could turn Anakin back is unknown- but Yoda and Obi-Wan didn;t to think it was a possibility (though as Vader says, "Obi-Wan once thought as you did..." when Luke suggests the possibility.

So, in the duel with Vader, Obi-Wan sees the position for him is bad. he has known about the returning after death thing before hand, but obviously enough would rather have stayed alive. But in that moment, he knows that by 'dying' in full view and returning, he has his best hope to give Luke the adice he needs, without Vader even suspecting that such adivce is still forthcoming.

And when Anakin dies, the MCs pull their own creation back into the Force, and he re-jopins his friends.

There you go. Not perfect, but at least as credible as lots of other stuff I've heard.

Jedi Mercenary
Awfully scientific Ush.

queeq
Nice try, Ush, and impressive. I just have a major problem with the MC's as inteligent life forms. It is the Force that communicates, not the MC's. The Force communicates via the MC's. The reason why Anakin might have been conceived by MC's is because they are biological and the Force is not.

And then they have to change the series title: Midi Wars.

Ratcat
Yeah, I've been battling with the concept of the Midichlorians for a while now.

Are they just a biological phenomenon like white blood cells or something?
Are they like a symbiote that needs the hosts body to live in?
Are they a single celled lifeform that groups together to form a cohesive, cooperative life form?

In fact they're probably none of these, and Lucas will come up with a whole new way of looking at them.

queeq
I am still hoping the midi thing will turn out to be a big hoax, that the Jedi felt it indicated some kind of strength in the Force, but that they are wrong. But as I said: just hoping...

Ushgarak
Wasi it scientfic, Merc? I thought it was all pseudo-gibberish, like all of Star Wars.

Ratcat
Star Wars, Gibberish? Go wash your mouth out sir!

Sorry queeq, I think that whole checking the blood thing has kinda made it a done deal for the Star wars universe now.

queeq
Yes it was. Very good, Ush. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Seems to be a quiet posting time right now, so I;ve been reading through the extensive back catalogue of topics... strange names, familair names... Gundark's second post, amusingly enough...

Anyhow, I was breezing through the EP I topics "Balance of the Force" and "Force Bombshell", most of which we have tied up more recently.

However, someone (can't be bothered to go and check, though Darth Daft and the late lamented Merc were posting a lot) mentioned that GL had actually said that disappearing into the FOrce was trick that 'some Jedi had and some didn't" Is this a genuine quote or just nonsense? If genuine, it puts nearly allofmy conclusions into doubt.

If it is just a spread out trick, then almost ineivtably many Jedi HAVE used it before, and so Anakin/Vader HAVE heard ofit. This makes Obi-Wan's line aabout "More powerful than you" etc. etc. seem very weird. I can only assume that Anaklin scoffed at the after-life idea, for no readily apparent reason.

Someone tell me the poster was wrong!

Note: I'm having real troubleposting this. I assume the servers are in difficulty again, hence the 'quiet time'

queeq
I don't know, Ush. I can't remember him saying anything about it, except for saying that the disappearing things and the burning will be explained in Ep2 and 3. I still believe the burning is an atonement through fire, others learn it by learning all the ways of the Force during their physical life.

Zareil
I know you may not at this juncture be keen on the expanded galaxy, but in the Book Truce on Bakura Luke who was seen ith his body again in a Bacta tank as his bones were calcified by the electric attack by the emperor, saw Ob1 who said that it was his last time he would see him as whilst he learnt the trick the couldn't hold out forver before returning to the force. Perhaps Qui Gonn just wants to return to the force a little earlier than Yoda and the gang or perhaps he prefers cremation to burying his clothes

Ushgarak
Truce at Bakura was a fair enough book, but it has as much authority as the Noddy books. Putting in the Obi-Wan ghost form was damn rsiky, because the nature iof that was very likely to be buggered around with in future films, rendering the book totally wrong.

Zareil
Surely though your argument is based on the mentality that regardless of what GL does he will always maintain a long term decision as to what he aims to do. I believe that its all better of looking to the here and now of the continuity created as opposed to an ideal image that will equally rapidly change anyway. Both may change, but at the same time it is poosibel to see them being incorporated into the same reality. For instance maybe Splinter in the Minds eye did happen, just now they have been declared brother and sister, they do not like to talk about it. Either that or maybe it could be seen as a parallel turn of reality. Why not have patience and look to the potential that lies therein as oposed to jut dismissing things easily. Think carefully about how the Council in Episode one were easy to take a stance that it wasn't the Syth until proven. Things should be considered careully not just outright rejected.

Ushgarak
Joining this argument over halfway through is not helping you any. You should take a bertter look at my viewpoint.

I do NOT reject EU. It is perfectly valid in its own right. But it is simply FACTUAL that they have NO authority over Star Wars continuity. Absolutely none. Zero. As I have said befroe, iif the facts were different, I would argue differently. But this is simply how it is.

So any conversation in hwich we are trying to establish hard facts about the Star Wars universemust ignore EU- it has no relevance.

That's not to say it is automatically wrong. Of course plenty of the events there could have happened (though Splinter is RIGHT out, even in the book canon- it is totally wrong). But when it comes to discussing film facts, they mean nothing.

I do not dismiss easily, and I have plenty of patience. A bit of courtesy from your side would be helpful.

queeq
Agree with Ush I do. Again.

Ushgarak
Somone suggested the idea of EU as a 'parallel universe' before... but it didn't seem to take with the EU fans. Fair enough.

queeq
Be it as it may, EU is not canon and does NOT necessaril bear relevance to the movies. Boba Fett is going to be one of the examples in the next episode.

Ushgarak
And again, GL could have saved himself some trouble with a bit of foresight there, by putting Fett on the banned list for authors...

Mind you, easy to criticise in hindsight.

queeq
True. After all, he didn't consider making another SW until.... 1993.... Hmmm, he could have stopped some EU novels.

Ushgarak
And you mentioned Truce at Bakura and everything... now I kill you, Zareil!

Ok, time to come clean. I have made a complete prat of myself. Zareil is a friend of mine, who has come on board at my beckoning, and used a handle I wasn't aware of. And he knows EXACTLY my opinions on EU, and he was just winding me up... ok, nice one, buddy. You made me look like a right prannock... about as much as I deserved, I guess.

Zareil is my resident EU expert- I want to know anything EU, he is the man to ask. He is as serious and committed a Star Wars freak as any of us, and he'll have a lot to bring to this forum, that I will inevitably call irrelevant etc.

Anyhow. Get posting on the II+III forum- honestly, repetition is sort of inevitable there, and there are always new opinions tio express even on old subjects. Heck, I regurgitated an acnient post on sabre fighting at one point, and it is still getting posts now.

And then come down to Jabba's Tavern in the General forum, and have a drink. Tell queeq I sent you.

Zareil
Thanks my friend, I thought I'd come on board with something Different. The title is derived from a book of angels and he was one of the apocalyptic rage angels. Anyway I sorry if I have shown you disrespect. You know I always actually support your position on these things after all if Splinter of the Minds eye had actually happened that would hav been disgusting. uggh

queeq
Zareil sounds like a nice guy to me. Hope you're here to stay.

Zareil
Thanks I appreciate the sentiment and hopeI can catch up with you in the bar sometime. I'm sure that you may have noticed I sometimes like to raise contentious points or question certain elements of the bouneries of peoples beliefs about the Star Wars Universe but I asure you that I never question others reason for such beliefs. I hope to make a few friends and allies and I assure you I'm not gonna drop dead again yet!! Oh and as to that you're gonna have to ask Ush...

queeq
I didn't really get that, but you're still welcome in the Tavern. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I'll say it again... you;ll get used to him

queeq
I'll say it again: I like him already!

Zareil
merci beaucoup!

queeq
Zareil's FRENCH??????!!!???? I may have to reconsider my judgement. laughing out loud

Zareil
I'm not French, I was just being continental in my reply, my apologies sire, I shall attempt to refrain in future. Besides which if your gonna accept a galaxy full of differnt multicultural beings then why not at least accept the French language, whoever speaks it. After all there always was a purpose in a protocol droid...

Ushgarak
Ask queeq about the European Union. Go on.

Zareil
no, I thinketh not and I can see I have bogies on my tail again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.