Boba Fett: most overhyped character from Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vfour
Does anyone else think Boba Fett is the most overhyped character from the Star Wars episodes but have the biggest cult-like followers that are easy marketing targets?

Darth Kreiger
He was, no one likes him anymore after the crappy Jango Fett invention, his character from the EU was brilliantly done

Rampant ox
I hate Boba Fett. I think people see him as some kind of god when really he isnt. I like Jango, but Boba really isnt anything special to me.

Ushgarak
Moved

And he was very popular long before the EU got hold of him. Remember, the EU is only read by a small percentage of film fans, yet Boba remains the most popular amongst all those many millions who have never read a Fett book.

killphil
When a characters strongest showing appears in supplemental material, then yes, he's over-rated. I never really understood this character's appeal. He does nothing that impressive in the movies and get's taken out just as easy as the rest of the Sail Barge goons, but he goes down screaming louder than any of em.

Hewkii_Dude
Originally posted by vfour
Does anyone else think Boba Fett is the most overhyped character from the Star Wars episodes but have the biggest cult-like followers that are easy marketing targets?

how do u mean? u mean like hes the most overpowered?

overlord
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Moved

And he was very popular long before the EU got hold of him. Remember, the EU is only read by a small percentage of film fans, yet Boba remains the most popular amongst all those many millions who have never read a Fett book. Yeah, I loved him as a kid after seeing him in the movies. I never read EU or minded how he died.

steverules

exanda kane
I have an intact hand me down Boba Fett from the 70s, my gf thinks I'm crazy to keep it.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by vfour
Does anyone else think Boba Fett is the most overhyped character from the Star Wars episodes?

MOST DEFINITELY

Tangible God
The bastard was only cool because he looked cool. Take away that armour and he's just another human.

chinabing
He was, no one likes him anymore after the crappy Jango Fett invention, his character from the EU was brilliantly done
Whaddya mean nobody likes him anymore? Have you taken a gallup poll or something? Jango Fett was a wonderful invention, and I think it's great all the OT stormtroopers are actually little bobas, only a little weaker because the original host is gone and like a photocopy that's been faxed and copied and faxed and copied, it's a little weaker now, and that's why they can't shoot straight.

Darth Kreiger
The Stormtroopers were written in as actual people, not Clones(by the way, Jango Fett clones were no longer in existence during the OT). The fact that Boba Fett is a clone is stupid in itself, not to mention making him an actual Mandalorian, and saying that his "General" of sorts, was Jaster Mereel, Boba Fett's old real name, into which Lucas made a half-ass excuse of saying that's a disguise name Boba used. He can't be the character based on Morals that he was in the EU if he's a Clone. Lucas doesn't deserve to hold Star Wars anymore, he's destroying EVERYTHING he created, and the EU created

Tangible God
And with every new release of his movies, he's cheapening their moral value and his own greedy image.

Ushgarak
As has been mentioned many times before, GL never had any intention of being railroaded by what the EU says. The EU takes risks every time it writes a storyline- in that GL may later overrule it. He simply does not pay attention to what is ther.e

It's not true about the Stormtroopers never being Clones, btw. In an interview in Bantha Tracks- a Long Time Ago- GL talks about how he always imagined Stormtroopers as Clones with Boba Fett as their father. All he did in the end is change that to Jango.

chinabing
I imagined by the time of the OT, any Tom, Dick or Harry could sign up to be a stormtrooper, but then Lucas changed their voices to Jango's voice in the DVDs. I still like the OOT better.

killphil
No, the Stormtroopers voices are unchanged. GL did change Boba Fett's voice to Jango's, though.

Darth Kreiger
OOT Special Edition is MY Canon version of Star Wars, I admit there are a lot of bad EU that Lucas SHOULD trample over *cough* NJO *cough* but he seems to only kill the good ones, he's Milking Star Wars dry, as if his several Billion $'s isn't enough

Smoker Stevens
he never needed the money he just wanted to finish star wars so he could die peacefully..

Darth Kreiger
You think he cares about that....that's like a Doctor that claims he's in it to save lives(RARELY the case)

Kaos sebaceous
boba fett is a loser

Coleman Trebor
Boba fett owns j00.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Kaos sebaceous
boba fett is a loser

Velkyn
Boba Fett was cool back in the day, when I first saw EP IV in theaters.. only because I suppose he had a jetpack and an outfit that made him look as if he had been in fights before.. The stormtroopers looked cool.. but shined as if they were all newbies fresh from the line... Boba Fett looked like he had been out there getting things done while the movie progressed.

However, back to the question... yeah... he is as overrated as Greedo, whom didn't even make a full scene the first time.

Quinlan_Vos
I wish Boba had a larger role in the Trilogy. There should have been a rivalry between him and Han Solo or something in the films.

Council#13
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Moved

And he was very popular long before the EU got hold of him. Remember, the EU is only read by a small percentage of film fans, yet Boba remains the most popular amongst all those many millions who have never read a Fett book.

He barely did anything in the movies

vintageSW77
Though he will probably do a lot in the TV series

The last Royal Guard to leave the shuttle when the Emperor arrives on the Death Star in JEDI is underhyped...he even gets his own little reprise of the Vader theme as he does so....must be an important character in the SW universe methinks

Darth Vegas
Grievous.

Fianchettoer
Fett's a POS and was eaten by the big hole in the ground thing which sucks for him

Blax X
Originally posted by Blax X
Boba fett owns j00.

vintageSW77
I still can remember the exitement of seeing this on the box of one of my 12" figures i was bought as a child.
In the days before net spoilers to see this WAY ahead of the ESB uk release was as good as it got for an SW kid of the 70s.
Vader was cool and the Stormtroopers equally so but this guy was different.
Boba is still up there for me and hopefully he will be a recurring part of the tv series.
Lucas could have gave him a better death scene in the Spec Ed...id rather he did that than turn him into Boba the ladies man .

Darth Sexiest
Originally posted by killphil
When a characters strongest showing appears in supplemental material, then yes, he's over-rated. I never really understood this character's appeal. He does nothing that impressive in the movies and get's taken out just as easy as the rest of the Sail Barge goons, but he goes down screaming louder than any of em.

LOL! I know, I always thought about that part!

Thats the mighty Boba Fett???

What a B*tch...

queeq
THe Sarlacc death was terrible... GL should be punished for that. I love Boba though... but not the kiwi version.

vintageSW77
At the time Bobas death scene didnt register much from what i remember...sure he must have had a fan base but on the whole nobody cared that much about Fett it was all about the main characters.
He had a bit of interest in ESB as a side character as there wasnt many characters in ESB and thats prob why.

queeq
He looked cool though

vintageSW77
He certainly did
especially compared to some of the other new characters we got back then

Lobot!!!
Old Chimp eyes Palpatine!!!
Ugnaughts!!!
That frozen 3po unit at the Hoth Base
4 Lom or was it Zuckuss??!!!
Sweary 3P0 unit on Bespin...."E Chutta!"

mind you there WAS IG88,Yoda,Lando and Bossk with his outfit that he forgot to wash by hand and not put in the dryer on full
AND
ADMIRAL PIETT of course.

queeq
Yeah, great stuff and classic...

Who will ever remember the Utapau guy huh? What was his name again?

vintageSW77

queeq
The actor Bruce Spence???

Yeah, but what is the name of his character again?

vintageSW77
"..............................he didnt say"

Tion Medon
See.......i may not like the PT but i can name every frikkin character!
DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

queeq
laughing out loud

Ah yes, Tion Meddon... strange, I know the actor but not the character. But I do know names like Chief Chirpa, Paploo and Logray.. wink

Kolran Fett
I agree, anyone that likes Boba Fett from george lucas's movies is a vilaint war monger war, but those who only started liking him from EU, like myself, are glorious lovers of justice. yinyang

queeq
Why is that?

vintageSW77

queeq
laughing out loud

vintageSW77

queeq
Ah well, he made you happy... can't be all dick.

vintageSW77

queeq
Huh??? what did he do to it?

vintageSW77
I think it was one of those figures that got buried in the garden back in 86.

queeq
Ah... lost treasures.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.