The Bible is Boring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Urizen
Sorry Guys, but it really is.....yawn

I mean, except for the Revelation parts at the end....that's some really cool stuff, the Apocalypse has been inspiration for many many stories in literature and comic books ! That's pretty hott.

But otherwise, whether you beleive it saves your soul, or whether you beleive it's full of BS, why does it have to be so boring ?

Thousands of pages full of meaningless, endless repitition and contradiction......puts me to sleep if I read it for more than an hour.

Why can't someone spice it up a bit ? Can't religion be fun ? Like Sex ?

Why is it whenever something is fun, it's wrong ???? And whenever something is Boring, it's right ???

debbiejo
Leviticus is the worst.....Genesis was pretty cool though.

Alliance
Most of it is boring.

Shakyamunison
If the bible is boring, this thread has a boring future.

Alliance
Boring present...

Lord Urizen
yawn

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Lord Urizen

I mean, except for the Revelation parts at the end....that's some really cool stuff, the Apocalypse has been inspiration for many many stories in literature and comic books ! That's pretty hott.

But otherwise, whether you beleive it saves your soul, or whether you beleive it's full of BS, why does it have to be so boring ?

Thousands of pages full of meaningless, endless repitition and contradiction......puts me to sleep if I read it for more than an hour.

Why is it whenever something is fun, it's wrong ???? And whenever something is Boring, it's right ???

Well it is if one is reading it for pure entertainment purposes - if you want that you should read some modern fiction. If you want it in religious texts you'll have to get into the "pagan"religions or Hinduism. They have wonderful stories.

Still, I don't think the Bible is as bad as all that - depending on what one is looking for. I don't, due to my views, treat it like a book of truths. However it is still an accomplished bit of writing that has value in a number of ways, including in historical terms.

Boring if you want bang for your buck? - Yes.
Boring if one is studying early Christian thought or Christianity in the late Roman Empire? - No.

Gregory
Parts of the Bible is pretty boring to read through yes. Why shouldn't it be? The OT contain Jewish legal codes; do you expect legal codes to be exciting?

On a similar note, would you expect letters to communities giving spiritual balance to be exciting?

It's obvious that you just like stirring up shit (is God gay? The Bible is so boring! LOL Christians), so I feel like I'm wasting my time responding to you, but if you read the Bhagavad Gita, for example, you won't find that terribly interesting, either.

debbiejo
It's interesting to study how the bibles phrases and meanings have changed throughout history..and what was thought of at a certain time in history about the books...Just like the Reformers thought at their own time Rev. and the Beast was happening.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Gregory
Parts of the Bible is pretty boring to read through yes. Why shouldn't it be? The OT contain Jewish legal codes; do you expect legal codes to be exciting?

I find them exciting, but then again people say I am a bit eccentric.

Alliance
I find them hilarious, but they dont have any real value to me.

debbiejo
Kaballahs more interesting actually.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
I find them hilarious, but they dont have any real value to me.

I was talking about legal codes in general, not specifically the ones in the Bible.

Alliance
Oh.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I was talking about legal codes in general, not specifically the ones in the Bible. You mean Old Jewish Laws?? Or ancient Laws??

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by debbiejo
You mean Old Jewish Laws?? Or ancient Laws??

Laws in general. If I wasn't doing what I am now I would likely have studied law. But while the thought of studying law excited me a great deal the idea of becoming a lawyer did not. I realised there were plenty of other avenues available where one could apply ones legal knowledge, but I decided to just do something totally different.

Though I will admit, ancient laws are quite interesting. Especially Roman ones, even when they start getting a Christian flavor.

debbiejo
Actually our US laws are based on some Roman Laws and called "Natural Laws"........It's neat to see how some things stay the same....

Alliance
Yeah...except for the Roman law that all citizens didn't have to pay taxes.

Where did that one go?

debbiejo
That came with WWII, I think, and it was only to be temporary......now look at us.........

Morgoths_Wrath
confused

Alliance
what?

Morgoths_Wrath
Why is the Bible boring? What about the story of Lot...and Job...and Daniel...and David and Noah and Moses and Joshua and JESUS and wtf are we reading the same book?

debbiejo
The US never had income tax until WWII.

Alliance
They still had taxes.

debbiejo
Yes they did.......but not the HUGE HUGE income tax that is killing people now...and it was supposed to be only a tempory thing........

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Why is the Bible boring? What about the story of Lot...and Job...and Daniel...and David and Noah and Moses and Joshua and JESUS and wtf are we reading the same book?

The story of Job always made me feel unahppy.

debbiejo
Well yeah, Geezzz a godly man that god let satan torment to see who Job would chose to follow..........kinda like a bet.

btw.........why is like everyone invisible now.........invisible mode........ sad

Imperial_Samura
Well yeah, Geezzz a godly man that god let satan torment to see who Job would chose to follow..........kinda like a bet.

btw.........why is like everyone invisible now.........invisible mode........ sad

Yeah. I must admit that that story always made me think "God really is a bit of a bastard."

And I have always had invisible on I think. I would change it but... well User CP is all the way up there, and my mouse pointer is down here...

Alliance

They are afraid.

lil bitchiness

You evidently never read the Bible.

Bible is the only book, which is legal, accessable to children, and which is full of sex and violence.

Bible stories are ALL about sex and violence.

Besides, the Bible has been altared and changed since Roman times, many many times over. Thats like 2 thousand years worth of changing, adding, and taking away. Its bound to be a mess.
And if it after all that fails to be interesting - that means they made too many alterations.

Im sure SOMEWHERE along the line it was interesting, beore it reached a saturation point.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
You evidently never read the Bible.

Bible is the only book, which is legal, accessable to children, and which is full of sex and violence.

Bible stories are ALL about sex and violence.

Besides, the Bible has been altared and changed since Roman times, many many times over. Thats like 2 thousand years worth of changing, adding, and taking away. Its bound to be a mess.
And if it after all that fails to be interesting - that means they made too many alterations.

Im sure SOMEWHERE along the line it was interesting, beore it reached a saturation point.

It's collectively boring....

It they would distribute the Bible in volumes, then perhaps it'd be easier to read and less dragged on....

The Bibles I have contain small letters, so its not like I visually engage when I read that much anyway.

And have you ever tried reading for over an hour ? yawn

I think the Bible should be read in doses....

lil bitchiness
It's collectively boring....

It they would distribute the Bible in volumes, then perhaps it'd be easier to read and less dragged on....

The Bibles I have contain small letters, so its not like I visually engage when I read that much anyway.

And have you ever tried reading for over an hour ? yawn

I think the Bible should be read in doses....

Actually...I got to like first few pages and got bored, but thats only cos I was confused as to who was whos father and who killed whom.

Im sure if there were like...main characters, it would have been easier.

Alliance
Main characters and a more concise plot.

Punkyhermy
King James' version of the Bible is beautifully written tho. smile

Alliance
I disagree. I'd rather cut the crap and read the original versions.

Bardock42
I disagree. I'd rather cut the crap and read the original versions.

Yeah, seriously, I mean if you are a true believer you should seriously read the original, right?

Alliance
Yeah. At leas that verison is historical...it'd probibly be on nice beautiful old paper too...crumbling edges...faded ink...yum.

FeceMan
This is a stupid thread.

Alliance
Congratulations.

Shakyamunison
Congratulations.

Did he win the name this thread game? eek!

debbiejo
It is cool to compare the old Geneva Bible and the 1611 King James to what we have now though.

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Did he win the name this thread game? eek!

Its not like it was an intelligent or rare guess.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Actually...I got to like first few pages and got bored, but thats only cos I was confused as to who was whos father and who killed whom.

Im sure if there were like...main characters, it would have been easier.

Or if some of the passages would get to the point rather than repeat the "moral" of the last passage, it'd be a quicker read. yes

How many times have I seen the same point get repeated over and over again in one chapter..... sad

Lumanix
You're boring too.

Alliance
Best bible line ever: "And there was much rejoicing."

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Lumanix
You're boring too.

o0o0o0o0o GOOD ONE ! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
*snore*

debbiejo
The Pillar of Salt was interesting

Lumanix
o0o0o0o0o GOOD ONE ! roll eyes (sarcastic) Don't cry.

Alliance
JIA is here...I'm going to go take a nap...or get ice cream.

Imperial_Samura
The Pillar of Salt was interesting

I'd of liked it better if he turned her into a pillar of tofu.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Lumanix
Don't cry.

cry

Too Late

Alliance
*slaps Urizen*

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER.

Gregory
You probably already know this, but that's how they originally were. It wasn't until much later that the books of the NT were collected together in one canon.

Alliance
and the books left out... cry

debbiejo
I'd of liked it better if he turned her into a pillar of tofu. laughing out loud I used to eat that............but hey salt is sooooooo great for you especially if it is Himalayan salt................look it up........86 nutrients.. smart

Imperial_Samura
laughing out loud I used to eat that............but hey salt is sooooooo great for you especially if it is Himalayan salt................look it up........86 nutrients.. smart

Well if it was Himalayan salt then that's ok. If it was just your average table salt though?

Lord Urizen
*slaps Urizen*

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER.

droolio

Okay, I'm back

debbiejo
Himalayan ...................Cool stuff.............so not like our oxidised or sea SALT. cool

Alliance
Sea salt is fantastic....calcium chloride.....YUM!

Imperial_Samura
Generally I use very little salt.

Alliance
As do I...but another reason why CaCl2 is superior...more flavor with less crystals.

debbiejo
According to the Bible, we are to be like "salt" to preserve, yet why was lots wife turned into it?.........weird.

Alliance
Its weird because its mythology...and Jews didn't have the Greek culture or intellectual development to make their mythology very entertaining.

FeceMan
You notice how all of Lord Urizen's thread degenerate into retarded? I wonder if there's a cause-effect relationship in there, or, at the very least, an if-then statement.

"IF the thread is made by Urizen, THEN it will become retarded."
"IF the thread will become (or has become) retarded, THEN it is made by Lord Urizen."

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by FeceMan
You notice how all of Lord Urizen's thread degenerate into retarded? I wonder if there's a cause-effect relationship in there, or, at the very least, an if-then statement.

"IF the thread will become (or has become) retarded, THEN it is made by Lord Urizen."

I know...its a vicious cycle ! big grin

Alliance
Indeed it is.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by FeceMan

I'd take that with a grain of salt. (See salt debate above)

Alliance
(See salt debate above)

messed

Imperial_Samura
messed

Ok, it wasn't much of a debate. I believe if I started a "Salt in Religion" thread there might be more potential.

Rogue Jedi
i like salt on my french fries.

Punkyhermy
I don't find the bible boring at all. Its a beautiful read. smile Timeless messages to be passed on along the way.

Alliance
It's not really a beautful read. I'll give you message...but it lacks plot, direction, characterization, and the sentance structure is horrible.

Punkyhermy
It's not really a beautful read. I'll give you message...but it lacks plot, direction, characterization, and the sentance structure is horrible.

Its ancient text. People had different standards of the written word back then.

Gregory
Sentence structure? Alliance, it was written in ancient Greek; it has whatever sentence structure translators give it. And ancient biographies (like the Gospels) aren't supposed to have "good characterization"; they served a different purpose then biographies today.

That being said, I'm given to understand by various sources that Mark is actually pretty poorly written, if you read it in the Greek.

Rogue Jedi
not too much salt, though.

Alliance
Originally posted by Gregory
Sentence structure? Alliance, it was written in ancient Greek; it has whatever sentence structure translators give it. And ancient biographies (like the Gospels) aren't supposed to have "good characterization"; they served a different purpose then biographies today.

That being said, I'm given to understand by various sources that Mark is actually pretty poorly written, if you read it in the Greek.

There are two ways to translate...if people are not going to translate it literally...(thing surely have ben changed) then they should keep the main points and make it poetic (like the Odyssey big grin)

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
I don't find the bible boring at all. Its a beautiful read. smile Timeless messages to be passed on along the way.

yawn

Catcher in the Rye was better....

Alliance
Demian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.