Mighty Avengers #1 Preview...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucid Lui
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1193/ma1hj4gr7.th.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3493/ma23eb1qw6.th.jpg http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6951/ma4sj6yk0.th.jpg http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3538/ma5ww2hn3.th.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8316/ma6kn7yq0.th.jpg http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5872/ma7of4bk9.th.jpg

Why Wonder man can't fly... i do not know. But i'm looking forward to this comic.

King_Mungi
Since the House of M did Simon lose his ionic powers?

SnakeEyes
When is this supposed to come out?

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Since the House of M did Simon lose his ionic powers?

Nope. He's still got 'em. He's still flying currently aswell. And in the preview pages to his upcoming mini, he's in his Ionic energy form.

Simon is ionic energy, i don't see why he'd suddenly not be able to fly.

King_Mungi
Sometime in February

UniOmni
They really need to change Ares's costume. Now.
He looks like a medieval punisher. And thats not godly.

Give him the look from his recent miniseries, and give him so mystical/enchanted armor.

Disappear
anyone else notice that shadow in the panel just before simon gets clocked? looked like it had wings.

maybe it's just a bird.

snoopdogg
I think maybe the are retconing WM. I think he's looks cool with his red jacket.

Darth Vicious
I like the Black Widow but she seems to be ot of place here at the very least in that fight.

Dynamic One
Ok this team is just qarbaqe. You have a bunch of super people... and black widow. what the hell is she doin there, with what miqht as well be a pop qun aqainst 25 ft monsters. The team looks as clownish and creative as the justice leaque

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by snoopdogg
I think maybe the are retconing WM. I hope not, but obviously something's happened so you may be right.

Originally posted by snoopdogg
I think he's looks cool with his red jacket. Same, i always liked that look. Takes me back to reading old Avengers issues.

Black Adam
well.....the art is nice sad

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Dynamic One
Ok this team is just qarbaqe. You have a bunch of super people... and black widow. what the hell is she doin there, with what miqht as well be a pop qun aqainst 25 ft monsters. The team looks as clownish and creative as the justice leaque

I agree. I dont know why Marvel insist in making Iron Man more and more powerful each time and between Iron Man, Sentry and Ares there is really no need for any other members, being as powerful and resourcesful as those 3 cane be is hard to believe that they actually need someone else.

Omega-level
Why is Ms. Marvel leading and not Iron Man? Is it possible that the person in the armor is not Tony Stark? I mean, that commentary could sound like prejudice against mutants, and i don't think Tony would say such a thing.

Deathstroke
Did anyone else notice Godzilla on the left of the splash page?

Scoobless
Now I'm a big Avengers fan..... but that looked like crap

Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Nope. He's still got 'em. He's still flying currently aswell. And in the preview pages to his upcoming mini, he's in his Ionic energy form.

Simon is ionic energy, i don't see why he'd suddenly not be able to fly.

Actually his cells generate Ionic energy like little furnaces... his potential power output is huge and used to be used to power his belt rockets... but yeah... he's still flying around all purple and stuff in other Civil War comics at the moment..... they better not retcon him just because he isn't a huge fan favourite

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Omega-level
Why is Ms. Marvel leading and not Iron Man? Is it possible that the person in the armor is not Tony Stark? I mean, that commentary could sound like prejudice against mutants, and i don't think Tony would say such a thing.

I believe it was Bendis that suggested that after Civil War it might not be Tony or Steve behind Iron Man or Capt. Whether that is the case here we'll have to wait and see.

The Fake Macoy
Originally posted by Deathstroke
Did anyone else notice Godzilla on the left of the splash page?

Hey, that is Godzilla! Good eyes! (If that sounds like sarcasm that's unintentional).

newavenger13
that looks good but the it sucks

R.O.T. Yahman
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1193/ma1hj4gr7.th.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3493/ma23eb1qw6.th.jpg http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6951/ma4sj6yk0.th.jpg http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3538/ma5ww2hn3.th.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8316/ma6kn7yq0.th.jpg http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5872/ma7of4bk9.th.jpg

Why Wonder man can't fly... i do not know. But i'm looking forward to this comic.

The Old monsters coming out of the ground routine. How many times has that actually been done since FF4 number 1 ? I think i remember seeing it in an Astonishing X men comic not too long ago ? I'm surprised they are letting Sentry out of the house on a regular basis. I'm mean one false move, a slight drop in confidence and his psychopathic, team beating, homosexual alter ego returns. I thought Sentry was like the vintage Wine that is only drunk when a big Cosmic villains are invited to the party ?

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
The Old monsters coming out of the ground routine. How many times has that actually been done since FF4 number 1 ? It's a classic. Gotta respect the classics.

But seriously, i i remember reading how Mighty Avengers was gonna be the big Avengers superhero book. Superhero in the classic sense of epic villains and big fights etc. (whereas New Avengers so far has been pretty much all character driven stories with lots of talk, which is how it'll probably stay.) I think this opening scene is supposed to represent that this is what you're getting. Classic superhero action (Which is kinda the same thing Whedon did in Astonishing). And what says superheroes in the marvel universe more than defending New York from a bunch of monsters that crawled outta the ground.

Now, the question is whether Bendis is able to write the classic superhero team stories...

R.O.T. Yahman

Now, the question is whether Bendis is able to write the classic superhero team stories...

Computer Says No ..... smile
Not really his style, IMO he should stick to what he is good at. Id love to seem him write Batman, but i cant see that happening in a million years. sad

Dynamic One
It's a classic. Gotta respect the classics.

But seriously, i i remember reading how Mighty Avengers was gonna be the big Avengers superhero book. Superhero in the classic sense of epic villains and big fights etc. (whereas New Avengers so far has been pretty much all character driven stories with lots of talk, which is how it'll probably stay.) I think this opening scene is supposed to represent that this is what you're getting. Classic superhero action (Which is kinda the same thing Whedon did in Astonishing). And what says superheroes in the marvel universe more than defending New York from a bunch of monsters that crawled outta the ground.

man......f*ck that sh!t. Why do you think FF4 616 isnt hot anymore, because the qeneral comic book fan and the hardcore are done witht he classic/over used and tired storyline. They miqht as just chanqe the loqo and slap a superman title on this. Lame Lame Lame Lame

R.O.T. Yahman
man......f*ck that sh!t. Why do you think FF4 616 isnt hot anymore, because the qeneral comic book fan and the hardcore are done witht he classic/over used and tired storyline. They miqht as just chanqe the loqo and slap a superman title on this. Lame Lame Lame Lame

I dont know, the book was pretty hot when Waid was writing it not that long ago.

leonidas

your love-fest with wonderman is making me uncomfortable . . .

big grin

oh, and the book seems like it might be pretty cool. too bad i don't like most of the roster. erm

Lucid Lui
Computer Says No ..... smile
Not really his style, IMO he should stick to what he is good at. Agreed. The recent Collective arc was more in the superhero vein, and that just didn't deliver IMO.

Id love to seem him write Batman, but i cant see that happening in a million years. sad It'll be awhile off, but i think we'll definately see it happen one day. There's too many people who want to see it for it not to happen.

Originally posted by leonidas
your love-fest with wonderman is making me uncomfortable . . . It made me a little uncomfortable at first aswell... But i got used to it. shifty

Validus
man......f*ck that sh!t.
That says it all.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Validus
That says it all.

I bet you'll be getting it though ? smile

jumpmann
Black Widow and Wasp...so out of place. sad

And where's Henry Pym? Wasp is nothing without him, and vice versa.

I'm waiting for this book to come out before I condem it. They better be beating up people like Galactus every issue with all the firepower though.

marvelprince
I don't see how Black Widow and Wasp are out of place. The team needs those two to keep them grounded. I would have prefered to see another street leveler along the lines of Prowler (I know he's arrested but someone on his level)

Validus
I bet you'll be getting it though ? smile
No. I'm not a Bendis supporter or a fan of any character on this team.

Originally posted by jumpmann
I'm waiting for this book to come out before I condem it. They better be beating up people like Galactus every issue with all the firepower though.
What firepower?

jumpmann
The firepower in mah pants YEOWZAH

Obviously I meant in terms of powerful members. I don't want to see this team fighting drug dealers in New York.
Originally posted by marvelprince
I don't see how Black Widow and Wasp are out of place. The team needs those two to keep them grounded. I would have prefered to see another street leveler along the lines of Prowler (I know he's arrested but someone on his level)
If you're gonna have an all super powered team then you might as well go all the way and not have a couple of weaklings to hold them back. I mean Black Widow was shooting a gun how useless is that when you have all these ridiculously powerful people right there.

H. S. 6
I hope Spider-Man stays on the New Avengers. I really want to see him participate with a few of the other street-levellers in some sort of stealth mission.

It'd be pretty cool if the Might Avengers were the "premiere" team, and the New Avengers were the sort-of, underground, not-as-public team. Justice League/Elite angle, anyone?

Validus
They're only a mid tier team. With the exception of Sentry, a herald of Galactus could probably clean their clocks. If Thor is going to be on the New Avengers team, they'll probably end pretty even in power.

H. S. 6
They're only a mid tier team. With the exception of Sentry, a herald of Galactus could probably clean their clocks. If Thor is going to be on the New Avengers team, they'll probably end pretty even in power.

I didn't say they were anything else... confused

Validus
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I didn't say they were anything else... confused
Sorry, I should have quoted jumpmann.

Arahan
AFAIK New Avengers will stay.

Mighty Avengers has some powerful members. Good.
But why Black Widow.....she sucks.

Nice to see Sentry in action, it doesnt happen very often.

Darth Vegas

If you're gonna have an all super powered team then you might as well go all the way and not have a couple of weaklings to hold them back. I mean Black Widow was shooting a gun how useless is that when you have all these ridiculously powerful people right there.

Agreed.

Wasp and Black Widow look completely out of place with powerhouses Iron Man, Sentry, Wonder Man, Ares, and Ms. Marvel.

If you're already in that deep in the power department, you might as well go all out, especially if they're being touted as "Mighty".

She-Hulk would've been a perfect fit instead of the Wasp or Black Widow and would have fit the whole "mighty" motif.

Lucid Lui
Wasp is a natural leader, and Black Widow brings alot of knowledge to the team.

In theory anyway.

Not everything is about power.

the Darkone
Most people are not realizng is that's not the Avengers, read what WM is saying he wish he was a Avengers again. I have heard is that the avengers will compose of:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Ares
Giant-Man
Wasp
Ms. Marvel
Black Widow
Wolverine
Quicksilver

maybe the Hulk, when he returns to earth.

I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but this is what the team looks like for now.

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by the Darkone
Most people are not realizng is that's not the Avengers, read what WM is saying he wish he was a Avengers again. I have heard is that the avengers will compose of:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Ares
Giant-Man
Wasp
Ms. Marvel
Black Widow
Wolverine
Quicksilver

I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but this is what the team looks like for now.

That doesn't sound right.

No Hawkeye or Sentry?

And Wolverine? Please, no.

And no way the Hulk joins.

Lucid Lui
Most people are not realizng is that's not the Avengers, read what WM is saying he wish he was a Avengers again. Simon says (lol) that he missed being an avenger. Missed = Past tense. Because he is an Avenger now.

Also on the first page in the narrative box it says "Avengers Initiative Day One"

I have heard is that the avengers will compose of:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Ares
Giant-Man
Wasp
Ms. Marvel
Black Widow
Wolverine
Quicksilver

I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but this is what the team looks like for now. A recent interview with Bendis in Wizard made it sound like the Mighty Avengers lineup would be something like what you've posted, but alot of the sketces and information in the interview were deliberatley meant to throw people off and create speculation about who'd be on the team.

I'm sure a few of the character you've mentioned will be appearing in the New Avengers book (like Cap, Thor maybe Logan). Quicksilver being on an Avengers team is just stupid. The guy's more of a villain right now and is appearing in X-Factor. I really don't see Hulk joining a team any time soon.

I think it's seems pretty obvious that the Mighty Avengers lineup will be Iron Man, Black Widow, Sentry, Ares, Ms. Marvel, Wasp and Wonder Man, with maybe a character or two yet to be revealed.

Arahan
I hope Pietro gets his Speed Powers back with a little Upgrade
and joins later the Avengers. That would be cool.

Scoobless
Originally posted by marvelprince

Wasp was a founder... maybe they need her just to legally use the name..... plus she's excellent for stealth missions and she can also grow to the same hights as Giant Man (or whatever he's called these days)

Black Widow ... I'm not a big fan of hers.... but she does have a lot of know-how, Ex-Spy, expert in H2H combat, good with weapons/explosives/computers, good at manipulating people (mainly men) decent leader, willing to do whatever it takes to win

She's almost a female Batman character

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Scoobless
Wasp was a founder... maybe they need her just to legally use the name..... plus she's excellent for stealth missions and she can also grow to the same hights as Giant Man (or whatever he's called these days)

Black Widow ... I'm not a big fan of hers.... but she does have a lot of know-how, Ex-Spy, expert in H2H combat, good with weapons/explosives/computers, good at manipulating people (mainly men) decent leader, willing to do whatever it takes to win

She's almost a female Batman character

I like the Black Widow but I wouldnt say that she is almost like Batman. I think Ares would be good for that kinda mission you explained. He is the god of war so he has to be an expert with every weapon created, hopefully. Except the computer part and im pretty sure he could find ways to make a man do whatever he wants and not in a sexy way either.

Scoobless
But he's not exactly built for covert ops .... to put it mildly

Darth Vicious
I agree but how many covert ops will they be getting into? We'll see once the book starts i guess.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I like the Black Widow but I wouldnt say that she is almost like Batman. I think Ares would be good for that kinda mission you explained. He is the god of war so he has to be an expert with every weapon created, hopefully. Except the computer part and im pretty sure he could find ways to make a man do whatever he wants and not in a sexy way either.

Don't forget Iron Man, too (for the computer part). yes

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Don't forget Iron Man, too (for the computer part). yes

Exactly, IM is ridiculosly powerful now that he could crack any computer system effortlessly.

grey fox
Some observations.....

Monsters - Definitely mole-mans , not only from the resemblance between F4's first issue . But you'll notice in one of the panels those 'minison' that the short little bugger orders around all the time.

Godzilla- In the eternal words of Superman Returns Luthor... WRONG. Godzilla will pretty much pwn all of them ...even sentry and his 'evil' twin.

Iron-man - I'm getting kinda ticked off of the constant upgrades for the guy. Although i like the idea of a new person (NOT Rhodes) in the driving seat.

Art- Very nice , smooth and bold with a good colourist

Overall - Looks pretty good , we will have to wait and see but so far it's getting a 8.7/10

aton_ra
Team sucks they took one of the worst 100 ton levelers (wonderman, strong yes but can he fight hell no), no Captain america or Thor and Ares (and they better have a good explanation for this) is somewhere in the background ridicules.

the Darkone
Thor is going to be an Avenger, the roster is not complete in my opinion.
Bendis did state that the Mighty Avengers is going to the most powerful in recent t years.

I still believe that the mighty avengers will consist of:

Captain America
Thor
Ares
Iron Man
Ms. Marvel
Giant-Man
Wasp
Wolverine
Black Widow

reserves or making appernaces
Nova
Photon=Pulsar
Sentry
Hawk eye

Omega-level
Thor is going to be an Avenger, the roster is not complete in my opinion.
Bendis did state that the Mighty Avengers is going to the most powerful in recent t years.

I still believe that the mighty avengers will consist of:

Captain America
Thor
Ares
Iron Man
Ms. Marvel
Giant-Man
Wasp
Wolverine
Black Widow

reserves or making appernaces
Nova
Photon=Pulsar
Sentry
Hawk eye

Cap. America and Iron Man on the same team? Are you high?

grey fox
Originally posted by Omega-level
Cap. America and Iron Man on the same team? Are you high?

Nah , it's (apparently) a new guy inside the armour.

colossus_2000
Q) Who the heck is Ares? I've been out of it for a little while (since Avengers V3 #20ish) and have caught up on most of the background stuff of late, but I have no idea who this guy is.

Lucid Lui
Ares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_%28Marvel_Comics%29

He's the Olympian God of War. He recently had a fairly good and well recieved mini series. Now he's joining up with the Avengers.

R.O.T. Yahman

To be fair some people think the Surfer would clean the JLA's clocks. I've always thought Thor could probably single handidly take down every team he has been on, whithout jobbing. The same applies to Sentry (Except when Bendis whent and mayed Wanda and Uber Cosmic power).

Validus
To be fair some people think the Surfer would clean the JLA's clocks.
Well those people are wrong.

R.O.T. Yahman
Well those people are wrong.

When you consider the fact that Kyle, Hal or M.M. could probably do it, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Validus
When you consider the fact that Kyle, Hal or M.M. could probably do it, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.
The JLA loses a significant amount of power without Green Lantern and Manhunter. The JLA with those two is a totally different beast.

manjaro
my main thing is how in the name of Jesus H christ are they gonna convince Ares...you know?...a god....in fact, theeeee....f ****ing god of war that.."super heroes dont kill, there is always another way" and my fave.."if we kill we are no better than they are"
especially since now that on the mortal plain he seems to have taken a shine to machine guns and high yeild explosives....tho edged weapons are his usual thing

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by manjaro
my main thing is how in the name of Jesus H christ are they gonna convince Ares...you know?...a god....in fact, theeeee....f ****ing god of war that.."super heroes dont kill, there is always another way" and my fave.."if we kill we are no better than they are"

Well, they convinced Wolverine to join didn't they?

marvelprince

Widow and Wasp are probably there from a more tactical standpoint than anything else. I'd hope that if there is anything we've learned from comics is that its not always about power (even though it certainly helps big grin )

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
Well, they convinced Wolverine to join didn't they?

Im pretty sure the only reason he got on the team, was becasue he can 'go places' the others won't. Maybe this will be Ares role aswell.

Mainstream
Im pretty sure the only reason he got on the team, was becasue he can 'go places' the others won't. Maybe this will be Ares role aswell.

indeed

outavodka
Wait did anyone get that ol PETERPARKER nastolgia readin ironman's bubbles like i did? i think im goin crazy but take another read at it and tell me it duznt hit like "you know hes kinda right"not to mention Wasp's coment after the RADIAL REPULSAR. Either that or its Steve Rogers Thats how i feel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.