Comic book scanning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Devil Lance
Does anyone else think we are going a little bit overboard with the amount of comics we are putting on this site . Not only is it kind of illegal but it also hurts the industry as a whole.
What do you guys think about it

do you think its okay?
or do you think its bad?
or are you indifferent about it ?

NiņoAraņa
well, it is illegal, and most likely wrong, but it helps ppl who can't get comics, people who don't have the money

leonidas
my brain says bad.

my wallet says: big grin

were i back in highschool, i would NEVER have made class . . .

the industry needs to realize it's a problem that won't go away and figure out a way to somehow take advantage of the situation. HOW they could do that i'm not sure. your itunes comparison seems pretty cool though . . .

Lucid Lui
It was ok in the beggining when it was just the big summer events and a few tie-ins, but it is going a bit overboard now.

Not that people (myself included) don't appreaciate all the issues that people have scanned. It's just that it is illegal, and at some point it won't be allowed anymore.

leonidas
Originally posted by leonidas
i was sort of wondering to myself if all these scans (while AMAZINGLY cool) might somehow or someway negatively impact the forum . . .? erm

i just meant it's such a public forum. could someone see the scans and report them to . . . someone?

this is a thought i've had for a long time now, btw, not just because of you, e. the proliferation of scans -- especially whole issue scans -- has made me wonder if there IS some possible recourse anyone might implement against the forum.

didn't mean to rain on your thread just wondering aloud . . . sad

Scoobless
I don't think it hurts the industry as much as some may believe.... I've had access to scanned comics for a long time now and not only have I continued buying my regular titles but it has influenced me into picking up titles i normally wouldn't have

There are comics I get online that I wouldn't have bought/wont buy.... but it's also led me to buy others that I wouldn't have considered before.... hell... I've bought pretty much every Authority comic in the last year... I hadn't even heard of them until I came on to KMC

So.... as far as my personal status goes.... online comics have led me to put more money into the industry than I would have without the scanners (and team DCP in particular)

As for posting whole issues in a public forum such as KMC.... I think it will eventually lead to much badness... possibly KMC getting shut down .... or at least having their forums severely neutered

pr1983
DCP = Awesomeness...

For most of last year, after discovering the wonders of broadband, i downloaded comics, and built up a collection... but since the start of the year i've had no broadband and have had to buy titles...

now... there is no comparison between some jpegs on your screen and a brand new comic in your hands... at the very least, scans should be a 'try before you buy' thing... if i'd had my scans i might not have bought x-men civil war... sad

even if you get scans, buy the issues too... its worth it...

Devil Lance

H. S. 6
Not that I, and I'm sure others, don't appreciate these scans, but it is illegal, and it's beginning to get out of hand. We've already got 100+ full comics (I mean, like complete, cover to cover) pretty much documented here.

Let's just hope this doesn't become a legal issue...

Grimm22
I usually buy comics even if they are availible with the scans.

There is somthing special about holding a comic in your hands erm

NiņoAraņa
hmmm, may be 200+

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Grimm22

Even one with Rob Lefield drawing it big grin

Devil Lance
Oh and by the way I think the scans in things like respect threads are fine because they actually get people more interetsed in buying that characters series.

NiņoAraņa
is it gonna be a "real" Civil War on KMC now? laughing

Devil Lance

inamilist
I have quite a bit to say on the issue in general

but to keep it brief:

We might be acting somewhat nieve with how intense we are going on the scans, but i dont necessarily think that puts us at any heightened risk for the board itself.

To the best of my knowledge, major comic book publishers arent in the busniuss of attacking their own fansites for hosting their images, meaning, they probably dont employ people to go out and look for/infiltrate people like us, seeing as the primary function of this board is the discussion of comics and not just scans. In some ways it may be more negative for a major company to attack a forum like this as it is attacking its most devoted fans (many of who still buy lots of comics). This is also supported by the reletive nieche market that comics sell to and the fact that the comic pirating phenomina is rather new in the public consiousness and really only accessable to a few.

On the flip, I'll be very honest, threads like "civil war scans" may be calling a bit of attention to ourselves, and the fact that scanning is not simply limited to events, but branching out into general titles, may also be slightly overzealous. And while the idea of a directory may be nice, it would also implicate the permissiveness of the site owners themselves (who are legally responsable should Marvel or whoever wish to press legal action) rather than a bunch of people who they could say are opperating under the radar so to speak.

However, the likelyhood of any of these things catching the attention of a company is, imho, unlikely, for the above reasons, and in a situation like ours, it might be impossible to enforce without a blanket prohibition of the use of copyprotected material for fansites and forums. Even avatar and sig images would violate the same copyright laws that posting issue scans would. To be honest, the laws on the books dont really take into account the change in technology, not that i think they should be changed to allow piracy, its just ridiculously complicated when it comes to matters like this.

Scoobless
I think the fact that we now have a directory pointing out where every scanned issue is may point to the fact that we've taken this a little too far.... if KMC loses the comic forums because of this then we only have ourselves to blame

So which other forum should we crash when this one gets shut down?

shifty

leonidas
single page scans are fine by me too. the other thing about digital books is they lack value. if you 'collect' -- as in for a returun investment, or trading purposes -- digital is pretty useless to you. not sure how many people do that any more . . .

actually, digital books may even harm the value of books. if everyone has an electronic copy, i wonder if everyone would be so quick to want to pay $1000s for the REAL thing? erm

not that there is much of a market to begin with. i've not had much luck -- AT ALL -- personally with selling off my own collection. though i confess i haven't tried ebay. not sure how that would go . . .

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Devil Lance
huh confused

i'm guessing you don't read marvel? confused

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Scoobless
I think the fact that we now have a directory pointing out where every scanned issue is may point to the fact that we've taken this a little too far.... if KMC loses teh comic forums because of this then we only have ourselves to blame

no expression
( I'm speaking entirely hypothetically here)
depends would you want one that is mainly comic versus or one that is mostly comic discussion? confused

Grimm22
Even one with Rob Lefield drawing it big grin

Eh erm

I tend to really like his art. Its just that some characters he should be forbidden from drawing stick out tongue

Such as:...

Captain America

Thing

ect...

Oh and he for some reason cannot draw noses laughing

leonidas
Originally posted by inamilist

but to keep it brief:

We might be acting somewhat nieve with how intense we are going on the scans, but i dont necessarily think that puts us at any heightened risk for the board itself.

To the best of my knowledge, major comic book publishers arent in the busniuss of attacking their own fansites for hosting their images, meaning, they probably dont employ people to go out and look for/infiltrate people like us, seeing as the primary function of this board is the discussion of comics and not just scans. In some ways it may be more negative for a major company to attack a forum like this as it is attacking its most devoted fans (many of who still buy lots of comics). This is also supported by the reletive nieche market that comics sell to and the fact that the comic pirating phenomina is rather new in the public consiousness and really only accessable to a few.

On the flip, I'll be very honest, threads like "civil war scans" may be calling a bit of attention to ourselves, and the fact that scanning is not simply limited to events, but branching out into general titles, may also be slightly overzealous. And while the idea of a directory may be nice, it would also implicate the permissiveness of the site owners themselves (who are legally responsable should Marvel or whoever wish to press legal action) rather than a bunch of people who they could say are opperating under the radar so to speak.

However, the likelyhood of any of these things catching the attention of a company is, imho, unlikely, for the above reasons, and in a situation like ours, it might be impossible to enforce without a blanket prohibition of the use of copyprotected material for fansites and forums. Even avatar and sig images would violate the same copyright laws that posting issue scans would. To be honest, the laws on the books dont really take into account the change in technology, not that i think they should be changed to allow piracy, its just ridiculously complicated when it comes to matters like this.

nice post.

pr1983
I think the fact that we now have a directory pointing out where every scanned issue is may point to the fact that we've taken this a little too far.... if KMC loses the comic forums because of this then we only have ourselves to blame

shifty

Mine... stick out tongue

Devil Lance

leonidas

shifty

i say we all crash at scoob's place. we know there'll be booze!

stick out tongue

Devil Lance

but to keep it brief:

I agree however we are very lucky no comicbook writers post here or we would be screwed sad

NiņoAraņa
Oh I have read Civil war
I just don't get what that has anything to do with KMc's current situation.
wink

Lots of people tihnk it's wrong, but at the same time are favoring it.....i guess it's just the general situation makes me think of it... wink might be wrong

Psyquis52
I don't think it hurts the industry as much as some may believe.... I've had access to scanned comics for a long time now and not only have I continued buying my regular titles but it has influenced me into picking up titles i normally wouldn't have

There are comics I get online that I wouldn't have bought/wont buy.... but it's also led me to buy others that I wouldn't have considered before.... hell... I've bought pretty much every Authority comic in the last year... I hadn't even heard of them until I came on to KMC

So.... as far as my personal status goes.... online comics have led me to put more money into the industry than I would have without the scanners (and team DCP in particular)

Co-signed. I've bought more comic books since we've been doing the scans.

That might be because my wallet fattened up a bit too but I think the scans help me make a selection better.

leonidas
actually an apt comparison . . . wink

Devil Lance

Scoobless
i say we all crash at scoob's place. we know there'll be booze!

stick out tongue

Booze.... and over 20 GBs of digital comics to pass the time.... shifty

NiņoAraņa
Booze.... and over 20 GBs of digital comics to pass the time.... shifty

sounds like a party wink

NiņoAraņa
I can kinda see were your coming from smile

good, i'm no good at explaining myself big grin

Scoobless

NiņoAraņa
Really?

fire2

Ah crap.... my sarcasm detector just exploded

how was that sarcasim? wink

inamilist
nice post.

Thank you muchly, I was achually thinking about this very thing a bit earlier.

It's somewhat reassuring to see that a lot of people got the same impression when we started going all piraty

I agree however we are very lucky no comicbook writers post here or we would be screwed sad

See, I do think you are correct about there being more trouble if there were comic company employees here, I still think they are limited in what they can do, given the unique nature of the comic book market.

In a situation where Marvel wanted to pressure KMC to remove the images (which would likely be their first course of action) a VERY difficult situation occurs. All images on this site that contain copyrighted material would have to be removed. ALL respect threads, any preview/review threads with images, many pictures which, in their usage, promote the heroes they depict almost better than a paid advertisement would. For Marvel or DC or Image to protect their copyrights they would need to do it as ruthlessly as other companies and industries do.

The music industry for instance, has the money and the power to impose these types of controls. What is your alternative if you dont like their policy: not listen to music owned by major lables. To the majority of the population, that isnt really a preferable option, so the music industry is able to keep people interested in buying their product while at the same time attack its fans for illegal distribution, simply because their audience is so broad and not interconected.

However, for comics, the industry is still very niche and specialized, though it is growing. Instances where people share comic book scans (when not also associated with broader piracy, like torrent hosting sites or p2p networks) are on forums with others of an internet community. Unlike music, with millions of casual listeners, comics sell to a more connected group who also account for a good deal of their profits. So, if DC comics were to shut down this forum and attack the members, they are financially shooting themselves in the foot, since it will tarnish their reputation among die hard fans in a community where word gets around.

Not to mention, I think any comic book company is going to have LOTS of troubling proving and empirical losses due to internet piracy.

thundercracker
well on 1 upside if i read somthing i like i buy it. i read young avengers/runaways and decided to pick them up i also read an issue of thunderbolts and subscribed to that alot of the comics i buy are influenced by what i read here ....... how sad is that??

NiņoAraņa
See, I do think you are correct about there being more trouble if there were comic company employees here, I still think they are limited in what they can do, given the unique nature of the comic book market.

In a situation where Marvel wanted to pressure KMC to remove the images (which would likely be their first course of action) a VERY difficult situation occurs. All images on this site that contain copyrighted material would have to be removed. ALL respect threads, any preview/review threads with images, many pictures which, in their usage, promote the heroes they depict almost better than a paid advertisement would. For Marvel or DC or Image to protect their copyrights they would need to do it as ruthlessly as other companies and industries do.

The music industry for instance, has the money and the power to impose these types of controls. What is your alternative if you dont like their policy: not listen to music owned by major lables. To the majority of the population, that isnt really a preferable option, so the music industry is able to keep people interested in buying their product while at the same time attack its fans for illegal distribution, simply because their audience is so broad and not interconected.

However, for comics, the industry is still very niche and specialized, though it is growing. Instances where people share comic book scans (when not also associated with broader piracy, like torrent hosting sites or p2p networks) are on forums with others of an internet community. Unlike music, with millions of casual listeners, comics sell to a more connected group who also account for a good deal of their profits. So, if DC comics were to shut down this forum and attack the members, they are financially shooting themselves in the foot, since it will tarnish their reputation among die hard fans in a community where word gets around.

Not to mention, I think any comic book company is going to have LOTS of troubling proving and empirical losses due to internet piracy. very true, in all senses

Ethereal

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Ethereal
On a sidenote: I visit a forum where everyone--including the admin, have uploaded & ripped nearly every single PS1, Dreamcast, SNES, Saturn, & gameboy advance games etc..Which is highly illegal and yet, somehow, is a growing forum with a niche popularity and has never been shut down/ and really has no intention of being. .

In the near future I dont see anything happening to this site because of the scans. It's just what course we choose for this site in the long run...I gladly have tons of scanned comics, the question is-- would you people want/appreciate them if I posted them?

Or maybe some middle-aged 34 year old guy that doesn't want to look like the nerd he is by accumulating tons of comic books in his closet.. big grin

well you shouldn't be ashamed of loving comics Happy Dance

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by pr1983
DCP = Awesomeness...

For most of last year, after discovering the wonders of broadband, i downloaded comics, and built up a collection... but since the start of the year i've had no broadband and have had to buy titles...

now... there is no comparison between some jpegs on your screen and a brand new comic in your hands... at the very least, scans should be a 'try before you buy' thing... if i'd had my scans i might not have bought x-men civil war... sad

even if you get scans, buy the issues too... its worth it...

My thoughts exactly.

The scans really effect my purchases, and without them, I think I would have spent considerably less on comics this year.

Devil Lance
Heres a pretty interesting article on the subject
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geur.1. _pEvB4BPqFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2aHVrcjV1BGNvbG8DZQRsA
1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANpMDIxXzQ3/SIG=12grt1di7/EXP=1157385525/**http%3a//www.comicbookgalaxy.com/commentary_piracy_111504.html

Gregory
It's illegal, but man, **** DC and Marvel. $2.50 for about 25 pages of comic is absolutely obscene, and I can't find it in my heart to feel guilty about reading scans instead.

Black Adam
Originally posted by Grimm22

agreed. smile

most of the comics i download I still go out and buy.

though there are some exceptions Cough*ms.mavel,Girls*Cough

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Gregory
It's illegal, but man, **** DC and Marvel. $2.50 for about 25 pages of comic is absolutely obscene, and I can't find it in my heart to feel guilty about reading scans instead.
so you'd rather take the chance of getting caught and getyting sued for a lot more money. wink

DigiMark007
I should probably chime in....

So here's the deal:
1. Yeah, it's illegal. If we ever ended up drawing attention, I'd probably have to delete a crapload of threads.
2. That said, I know it's going to occur. And I can't monitor the forum to the extent that I stop all the scans. So it's kind of a Catch-22.
3. The Scan Directory has me a little worried too, because it's an open endorsement of this trend. Again, I'm going along with it because the scans are out there anyway, but I'm not entirely happy about it.
4. I justify much of this because I buy more comics than ever now. The scans have done nothing to stop me from buying things that I want, or ordering subscriptions (ASM). I know most of us can say the same thing.

...that's my 2cents

Devil Lance
Originally posted by DigiMark007

So here's the deal:
1. Yeah, it's illegal. If we ever ended up drawing attention, I'd probably have to delete a crapload of threads.
2. That said, I know it's going to occur. And I can't monitor the forum to the extent that I stop all the scans. So it's kind of a Catch-22.
3. The Scan Directory has me a little worried too, because it's an open endorsement of this trend. Again, I'm going along with it because the scans are out there anyway, but I'm not entirely happy about it.
4. I justify much of this because I buy more comics than ever now. The scans have done nothing to stop me from buying things that I want, or ordering subscriptions (ASM). I know most of us can say the same thing.

...that's my 2cents

Thanks for chiming in Digi smile

Sub_Mariner

4. I justify much of this because I buy more comics than ever now.

Same here, i'll check if there good to people on KMC, then i'll buy the comic.

B dot Rob
Doesn't affect me because up until recently I used to just read them in the library unless they didn't carry them.

Validus
Ok, I'll stop.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Validus
Ok, I'll stop.
upon reading this post about half of the pople who frequent the comic books froum die out of shock. laughing

Devil Lance
Maybe whe should just rename the threads thathave something like "Civil War scans" into Civil war discussion.
I mean that way it would probably be a lot less obvious that we have been scanning complete comics.

Black Adam
Maybe whe should just rename the threads thathave something like "Civil War scans" into Civil war discussion.
I mean that way it would probably be a lot less obvious that we have been scanning complete comics.

the civil war scans were in the civil war discussion topic.

though it was decided to move them into there own thread so people wouldn't have to search through 50 plus pages of discussion for the scans.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Black Adam
the civil war scans were in the civil war discussion topic.

though it was decided to move them into there own thread so people wouldn't have to search through 50 plus pages of discussion for the scans.
oh okay

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Validus
Ok, I'll stop.

no expression

shock

no expression

Darth Vicious

So here's the deal:

...that's my 2cents

DCP= Greatest thing ever to come along.

While im pretty sure is illegal what else can some of us do when the comic publishers put out there 100 of tie in titles for 1 storyline or 52 for that matter. Unless u r filthy rich and can afford all those titles, some of which are out there just to milk a stroyline, go ahead and buy them all. Me personally I continue to buy my favorite titles and for Civil War i buy all titles as well but 52 is a storyline that i wanted to follow but didnt want to spend the money on it, is 52 titles for christ sakes, so the scans are handy in this case. If I wanna check a storyline that happened 5-10 yrs ago its gonna be expensive and time consuming to track all the titles in said storyline so the scans/torrents come in handy in that situation too like Y-The Last Man, I reas an issue #1 in a news site and I loved the concept, when I checke they were already in the 40+ issues, I ask in my comic book store and was told that some of those back issues were hard to come by or real expensive, with the torrents I was able to read them all. and theres the people in countries were they either dont get the comics or are pretty late then they have the scans/torrents to get their fix. Like DiGi I do think was gonna happen if they ever caught up to this forum and since Ive been using ImageShack for my scans after a while Ill just delete them to be on the safe side. Last thing the reason I like the scans/torrents so much is that I dont know what the future holds and If soemthing ever happens to my comic book collection at the very least Ill have the scans.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
DCP= Greatest thing ever to come along.

While im pretty sure is illegal what else can some of us do when the comic publishers put out there 100 of tie in titles for 1 storyline or 52 for that matter. Unless u r filthy rich and can afford all those titles, some of which are out there just to milk a stroyline, go ahead and buy them all. Me personally I continue to buy my favorite titles and for Civil War i buy all titles as well but 52 is a storyline that i wanted to follow but didnt want to spend the money on it, is 52 titles for christ sakes, so the scans are handy in this case. If I wanna check a storyline that happened 5-10 yrs ago its gonna be expensive and time consuming to track all the titles in said storyline so the scans/torrents come in handy in that situation too like Y-The Last Man, I reas an issue #1 in a news site and I loved the concept, when I checke they were already in the 40+ issues, I ask in my comic book store and was told that some of those back issues were hard to come by or real expensive, with the torrents I was able to read them all. and theres the people in countries were they either dont get the comics or are pretty late then they have the scans/torrents to get their fix. Like DiGi I do think was gonna happen if they ever caught up to this forum and since Ive been using ImageShack for my scans after a while Ill just delete them to be on the safe side. Last thing the reason I like the scans/torrents so much is that I dont know what the future holds and If soemthing ever happens to my comic book collection at the very least Ill have the scans.

do you have a bookstore like Borders nearr by where you live they have 52 and you can read it there for free without doing anything illegal. wink

and you don't have to buy single issues you can just ge trades which are usually less expensive for example the titans tommorrow trade had about 10 issues and it only cost 10 dollars.

Big Sexy
If anything I have bought more from the scans. Just like a few others said theres nothing like actually holding it.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
It was ok in the beggining when it was just the big summer events and a few tie-ins, but it is going a bit overboard now.

Not that people (myself included) don't appreaciate all the issues that people have scanned. It's just that it is illegal, and at some point it won't be allowed anymore.

^what he said.

With big events, it's something that affects the future of comic books for at least 2+ years, and people are probably quite sad that they couldn't read them. But posting just random issues when someone asks...it's not very nice. It hasn't put the industry down, though...quite the opposite, I think Marvel has rarely sold as much as this...

What If...
Lol.

Gregory
so you'd rather take the chance of getting caught and getyting sued for a lot more money. wink

Actually, I don't download scans in any meaningful number; I read the Infinite Crisis scans someone posted to KMC, and that's it. I deal with the price thing by waiting until stories I want come out in TPB format.

Grimm22
Well considering I dont have ANY money right now, im kind of counting on the scans until I can get a new job stick out tongue

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Gregory
Actually, I don't download scans in any meaningful number; I read the Infinite Crisis scans someone posted to KMC, and that's it. I deal with the price thing by waiting until stories I want come out in TPB format.
okay then wink

colossus_2000
Scans turned me on to Runaways, Young Avengers and the Civil War issues. Because of the scans, the comic industry is getting more money off me.

Nuff said.

Validus
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
^what he said.

With big events, it's something that affects the future of comic books for at least 2+ years, and people are probably quite sad that they couldn't read them. But posting just random issues when someone asks...it's not very nice. It hasn't put the industry down, though...quite the opposite, I think Marvel has rarely sold as much as this...
Agree. I've posted big events like Infinite Crisis and 52, stuff that's pretty much a necessity if you're going to stay current with the company but it's kind of...um, annoying for lack of a better term to see books like She-Hulk scanned considering thats the type of book that barely sells enough to stay afloat as well as the type of book people wish there more of.

Darth Vicious
do you have a bookstore like Borders nearr by where you live they have 52 and you can read it there for free without doing anything illegal. wink

and you don't have to buy single issues you can just ge trades which are usually less expensive for example the titans tommorrow trade had about 10 issues and it only cost 10 dollars.

Actually i do, we have Barnes and Nobles but they dont always have the most current issues right away. Plus I work long hours to go stay in the store reading comics, I rather do that from the confinement of my home.

pr1983
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
My thoughts exactly.

The scans really effect my purchases, and without them, I think I would have spent considerably less on comics this year.

Exactly... i'd gone off the flash for a while, but after reading the Rogue War and Zoom issues, i'm in the process of hunting down the back issues...

i also wanted to buy 52, but man, every week? I'm sorry, but some comics take precedence over others, and i just cant afford it...

Why not make the whole thing less blatant somehow? So that people won't just 'stumble across them' as it were...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.