Whats with the Mormon cults?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JOE NUNEZ
I mean we have all seen the recent arrest of the Mormon guy, is it true they marry within their own families?

~Flamboyant~
Who cares? If he wants to marry within his family, then who cares? Or better yet, who should care? Or, why should we care?

Alliance
Its a fundamentalist Mormon cult. Like all fundamentalists...they are crazy.

The Mormon church would be very upset to be assosciated with him. Its the FLDS, not the LDS.

Regret
Originally posted by JOE NUNEZ
I mean we have all seen the recent arrest of the Mormon guy, is it true they marry within their own families?

Typically, Mormon is in reference to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS Chruch for short), and we are only barely associated with these groups, and only due to historical origin. The most active splinter group that is an offshoot is the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), which has disavowed Joseph Smith's first vision and much of the Book of Mormon, as well as denying that Joseph Smith ever practiced or condoned polygamy. RLDS broke off after Joseph Smith's murder. well before the LDS church ended polygamy.

Warren Jeffs is a member of what is called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). This is a splinter group that began ~100 years ago when the LDS Church ended the practice of polygamy. There are three or four of these splinter groups still in existence, that I know of. The only aberrant behavior aside from the polygamous relationships that I have heard them accused of is marrying women young (between 15 and 18 years of age at times), although this young age is not the norm. Typically in these groups the age is at least 18 if not older.

These splinter groups are generally extremely small, consisting of between two or three hundred to one or two thousand followers. They are typically nearly 100% polygamous within each group, a number that far exceeds the number that had been practicing in the LDS Church at the time that polygamy was practiced (30-33% at its peak.)

Alliance
Originally posted by Regret
Typically, Mormon is in reference to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS Chruch for short), and we are only barely associated with these groups, and only due to historical origin. The most active splinter group that is an offshoot is the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), which has disavowed Joseph Smith's first vision and much of the Book of Mormon, as well as denying that Joseph Smith ever practiced or condoned polygamy.

Warren Jeffs is a member of what is called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). This is a splinter group that began ~100 years ago when the LDS Church ended the practice of polygamy. There are three or four of these splinter groups still in existence, that I know of. The only aberrant behavior aside from the polygamous relationships that I have heard them accused of is marrying women young (between 15 and 18 years of age at times), although this young age is not the norm. Typically in these groups the age is at least 18 if not older.

These splinter groups are generally extremely small, consisting of between two or three hundred to one or two thousand followers. They are typically nearly 100% polygamous within each group, a number that far exceeds the number that had been practicing in the LDS Church at the time that polygamy was practiced (30-33% at its peak.)

I did a small opener for you smile

Regret

Regret
Originally posted by Alliance
I did a small opener for you smile

I saw it, and thanks, it was accurate thumbsup

Alliance
laughing...amazingly. I was surprised you hadn't swooped in yet. So, I asked a few men to cover.

JOE NUNEZ
Thanks , I'm new to this religion stuff. I'm not a believer, but i always like to here both sides of any story.

Regret
This is one of our Articles of Faith, it was given by Joseph Smith, prior to the practice of polygamy and gives some doctrinal reason for following the laws and ending polygamy.

Articles of Faith 12
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Regret
laughing...amazingly. I was surprised you hadn't swooped in yet. So, I asked a few men to cover.

I just needed to get my references set up, I would have hated having to type all that wink

Alliance
Thanks , I'm new to this religion stuff. I'm not a believer, but i always like to here both sides of any story.

In case you haven't noticed...Regret is the resident Mormon.

Regret

It's all good, if this thread is active and I hear more on the case I'll post it, it's a local thing for me after all.

I actually have an uncle and aunt(aunt was the relative, and was his first wife) that left the LDS Church and joined one of the polygamous groups, they do not believe in young marriage at all, but they aren't in the Warren Jeffs group.

They seem to like it, although some of the stories they tell make me feel sorry for the men in those relationships. Imagine having five or six women that all gang up on you when one of them is pissed off. I have one wife, and I'm on the couch often enough. Let alone if there were more to get pissed at me. wink Plus imagine needing to house them, ugh. My uncle has the money at least.

Alliance
All the mormons I know are insane Chemists.

Regret
All the mormons I know are insane Chemists.

laughing

We tend to pop up in professional circles wink Our current top leadership consists of men that were:

* Artist
* Retail Vice President
* Medical Doctor that was with the team of doctors which created the first heart-lung machine. In 1951, the machine was used in the first open-heart operation on a human being. Four years later, Nelson was the first doctor in Utah to perform successful open-heart surgery using a heart-lung machine.
* Utah Supreme Court Justice and considered by the Ronald Reagan administration as a U.S. Supreme Court nominee
* Owner of the car dealership that became the most successful in the country in the late 1950s
* Large Business CEO
* A nuclear engineer who did advanced studies at Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the Department of Energy.
* A president of the Papermate Co., a division of Gillette and Max Factor Co., as a vice president, and later headed Hughes Television Network.
* Three former University Presidents
* An associate professor of business at Stanford University
* A senior vice president of flight operations and chief pilot of Lufthansa German Airlines

But Church leadership is full time, so all these are formers wink

Alliance
Originally posted by Regret
laughing

Oh thats right...I only personally know one Mormon...who happens to be an insane chemist wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Who cares? If he wants to marry within his family, then who cares? Or better yet, who should care? Or, why should we care?

You should care, these people might move in next door to you. eek!

Alliance
I don't think that would change the situation.

THe point is: being against marriage within the family is simply a societal block.

It does have its drawbacks though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.