Can god change his mind?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crazy
Sorry if this thread has already been made, I am a frequent visitor of the religion forum and have never seen it made so I thought I would ask everyone here if god could just one day change his mind and be like **** it. Could he disregard everything he has done(respectively to whatever religion you believe in) and just forget about it and let people live their lives or for that matter start a new race of people. I mean he is god, if you believe he is the almighty then how could you deny him that?

Alliance
There is a catch...assuming that god is all powerful and exists....and if he is all powerful, he is omnipresent.

So, if he changes his mind, he already know hes going to change his mind, which means that he didn't really decide to change it....it was always supposed to change.

God gets locked into determinism.

If god is not this superhuman concept, of course he could...its all about consequences.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
There is a catch...assuming that god is all powerful and exists....and if he is all powerful, he is omnipresent.

So, if he changes his mind, he already know hes going to change his mind, which means that he didn't really decide to change it....it was always supposed to change.

God gets locked into determinism.

If god is not this superhuman concept, of course he could...its all about consequences.

Quite true.

Alliance
If god doesnt exist...no, he cannot change his mind.

FeceMan
Originally posted by crazy
Sorry if this thread has already been made, I am a frequent visitor of the religion forum and have never seen it made so I thought I would ask everyone here if god could just one day change his mind and be like **** it. Could he disregard everything he has done(respectively to whatever religion you believe in) and just forget about it and let people live their lives or for that matter start a new race of people. I mean he is god, if you believe he is the almighty then how could you deny him that?
Well, technically, He could.

However, God follows His own rules. I don't know why He put them in place, but He did. Thus, He won't just change his mind like that.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by FeceMan

However, God follows His own rules. I don't know why He put them in place, but He did. Thus, He won't just change his mind like that.

Maybe God didn't have any power over the rules and the regulations of the universe. Maybe they are simply a by product of the creative process. One creates a fire, there will be smoke. God creates and by extension that process creates rules independent of God's desires. He obeys them because he has no choice in the matter.

And people would say God did change his mind/attitude between old Testament and New.

Alliance
Originally posted by FeceMan

The question is, can god go against his own rules? Can he do something in conflict with another rule.

crazy
I don't get why not, he has no limits

Regret
The question is, can god go against his own rules? Can he do something in conflict with another rule.

Mormons believe he will not, I don't know if we would say cannot, but we would definitely say will not. There is the statement that God can't contradict himself, if he does he will cease to be God.

Alliance
Originally posted by crazy
I don't get why not, he has no limits

Because if you speak something into existance and then speak something else into existance...and they conflict...existance might blow up.

Besdies...thsi idea of god is stupid imo anyway.

crazy
Yes the idea might not seem so appealing I will admit that but just because it does not seem appealling does not mean that the God we all believe in is not capable of being a flip flopper.

Alliance
I said, under certain conditions...it its logically impossible.

Lumanix
God makes decisions with all knowledge required to make the correct one, or the best one. There will never be anything new to him, thus, no requirements for changing their mind.

Alliance
Thus he can't...

dark99
Originally posted by Lumanix
God makes decisions with all knowledge required to make the correct one, or the best one. There will never be anything new to him, thus, no requirements for changing their mind.

So he has already made all the correct decisions he will need to make... then what will he do for the rest of... well forever...

Alliance
Which means that everything we do i predetermined...so no fault is on us....its all god's fault.

dark99
I guess if you look at it that way... although I don't think the cops will buy that explanation too often... stick out tongue

Alliance
Maybe because its wrong? It is funny when the crazies try it though.

FeceMan
It's crazy paradoxical.
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Maybe God didn't have any power over the rules and the regulations of the universe. Maybe they are simply a by product of the creative process. One creates a fire, there will be smoke. God creates and by extension that process creates rules independent of God's desires. He obeys them because he has no choice in the matter.

And people would say God did change his mind/attitude between old Testament and New.
Coincidentally enough, my church is having some sort of thingy where that's discussed...and stuff...but I'm not going.

Alliance
YOu should go, maybe you could bring another light to this situation.

FeceMan
YOu should go, maybe you could bring another light to this situation.
I was actually considering it, but I'm not sure if I care enough. I mean, it's just a rather pointless argument on a movie forum. No one's going to convert if I do, and no one's going to lose faith if I don't.

Alliance
I wasn't aware that converting or loosing faith were goals of this forum.

Its more like a public fountain.

FeceMan
I wasn't aware that converting or loosing faith were goals of this forum.

Its more like a public fountain.
I never thought it was the goal, either. However, if I knew one of the above would take place, I would go.

Alliance
Well, if you can see the futre, can we talk about my stocks?

FeceMan
Well, if you can see the futre, can we talk about my stocks?
Just because I know everything does not mean that I remember it all.

Alliance
The point is you don't know.

FeceMan
The point is you don't know.
That's what you think.

Alliance
That is correct, but unfortinately for you, I have reality and probability on my side.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.