Taking God's name in vain......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
everyone knows that when you say "God D***", you are using the lords name in vain. what about when you say "Dear God", or "Jesus Christ, look at that"? is that the same thing?

Alliance
Yes. Its called hypocrisy.

Rogue Jedi
just wanted to be sure....what about when you are scared and say "OH MY GOD!!!"?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
everyone knows that when you say "God D***", you are using the lords name in vain. what about when you say "Dear God", or "Jesus Christ, look at that"? is that the same thing?
I'm not sure, really. I've never fully understood what "taking the LORD's name in vain" really meant, aside from the examples you've given.

This makes me wonder if taking God's name in vain is actually to pester Him with prayers to which He has said 'no' or 'wait'. It's probably not, but just a thought. Also, God's name is holy, which is probably where this comes from.

As for "Oh, my God!"--it depends, really. If it's just a meaningless interjection, then, yes, it would probably qualify as being "in vain". However, if it's like "Oh, my God, help me!", that's another story.

Rogue Jedi
i just try not to use his name in vain, ever. not even "oh god."

Alliance
well, youve done it several times already in this thread....jsut refer to him as "he who must not be named."

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
well, youve done it several times already in this thread....jsut refer to him as "he who must not be named."

You mean Lord Voldemort?

Rogue Jedi
i thought he meant Ushgarak.

Alliance
no, the tetragrammaton.

Rogue Jedi
tetra who?

Alliance
YHWH...the tetragrammaton.

Rogue Jedi
whachamacallit?

Alliance
lets break this down.

TETRA = 4

GRAMMA = Letter

TON = Wordish Thing.

TETRA-GRAMMA-TON The 4 letter name of the Judeo-Christian god. ANd yes it is a sin to speak it or write it.

W..1...H...2...W...3...H...4.

YHWH

Rogue Jedi
thingamajigger in the whachamacallit by the doohickey over yonder.

Imperial_Samura
YHWH...the tetragrammaton.

It is a great word.

Alliance
Allegedly.

Rogue Jedi
doodads in my shorts.

Alliance
Do you have anything else that is pertinant?

Rogue Jedi
yes....your username is Alliance. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance

Rogue Jedi
i wasnt saying it out loud, meaning it seriously, i was just giving examples.

Imperial_Samura
Allegedly.

Tetragrammaton that is. Meaning aside it is just a... nice sounding word. It would make a good name for a Transformer.

Alliance
Yuck.

Rogue Jedi
yeah, me too. yucky poo.

Imperial_Samura
A Decepticon maybe. Kind of has flowery language in a bad drama student kind of way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.