"The Customer is always right."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
Is this a load of crap or what?

Lumanix
Unless you want to go out of business.

In Fate's Hands
if u argue with the customer ur ****ed

Rogue Jedi
do some customer service work sometime and you will see things differently.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Load of crap, but businesses want to keep them, even if they are retarded.

My favorite slogan?

"If you're retarded and break your computer, we'll fix it for you."

Rogue Jedi
never heard that one.

BackFire
From my experiences, the customer is usually wrong and a dipshit.

In Fate's Hands
Originally posted by BackFire

thats y i love love being the customer big grin

BackFire
You like being wrong and a dipshit? Interesting.

FeceMan
never heard that one.
They probably went out of business. I would have used them, though.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
*starts fan club in honor of BF* Happy Dance

tabby999
"Just because they serve you, dosn't mean they like you."

I've worked in kitchens for a few years now, and you have to treat the customers like they're right, but sometimes when a customer is a total ass and wont listen, the bosses will tell them how it is an tell them to leave. If you lose maybe 10 customers but are even and fair with everyone, your not going to loose in the long term. Sometimes people seem to think because they're talking to a waiter/clerk/kicthen staff, they have the right to treat them like a lesser person.

Rogue Jedi
well put. well put indeed.

allofyousuckkk
Would scamming t-mobile by accidentally washerermachining your phone numerous times and then calling them them to say that it just stopped working and that the sticker on the back which indicates it got wet just happened to be missing, would that be considered wrong?

Alpha Centauri
If you don't like customers, I suggest giving up a job in customer service to someone who might actually be grateful for the opportunity.

Don't take it and moan, you're getting paid to be there.

Nobody is saying you have to take abuse, you don't and that's wrong, but if your job is to serve me, I expect you to serve me and serve me well.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
If you don't like customers, I suggest giving up a job in customer service to someone who might actually be grateful for the opportunity.

Nobody is saying you have to take abuse, you don't and that's wrong, but if your job is to serve me, I expect you to serve me and serve me well.

-AC
true, i have to admit. but there are alot of customers out there that take it to the extreme, trying to get free shit.

Alpha Centauri
I've never seen a man or woman go to a proper restaurant and try to get a free meal.

I've never seen that in McDonalds to be honest.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
well, you have to work in an environemnt where it is face to face customer service.

Alpha Centauri
well, you have to work in an environemnt where it is face to face customer service.

Which is exactly what restaurants are, fast food or otherwise.

-AC

tabby999

-AC

Personally, i have nothing against customers. When you have someone come up and say "thanks, that was awsome, a really nice meal, thanks" it makes you feel good. And its not a question of people not appreciating their jobs.
Its that some people think that they have the right to treat someone who works behind a bar, in a kitchen or as a sales clerk as a lesser person because they dont have a $40k a year job. They take the "customer is always right" to the zenth degree and treat people like crap with it as justification.

Rogue Jedi
they are, but then again they arent. work in a hotel or a retail store and you will see what i mean.

Alpha Centauri
they are, but then again they arent. work in a hotel or a retail store and you will see what i mean.

They are face to face, person to person establishments. Different kinds, maybe, but face to face nonetheless.

-AC

KharmaDog
Weather it's in a face to face retail situation, or in a corporate situation, the idea that the customer is always right is a dated philosphy.

Nowadays, a good sales rep should be able to make a customer realize that the customer is often uninformed, misinformed or mistaken (never say wrong) and if the salesperson can't do that, then they should get them to talk to management personal who can.

A person who abides by the theory that they are never wrong because they are a customer (besides lacking common sense) is usually a customer that is bad for business.

ladygrim
It is ment to be that but most shops dont give a rats ass about the customers....

snoochyboochies
I used to be in customer service when I was at school. Now I serve the public in a different way. I did a 12 hour shift on saturdays at WHSmith in Heathrow airport and customers who are late for planes tend to be quite pushy. Although you should do your best for them, some take the piss and use the saying "the customer is always right" as an excuse to try and bully there way to free produce and to get you to jump through hoops. Those customer can s*ck my big hairy c*ck!".

The customers who are polite and respectful got the best service from me. I always found americans very polite. I think its because they think the UK is full of snooty snobs and they try to give a get impression of their country. And they succeed in my opinion. I was 16 and I'd never been called "sir" so many yimes by men and women older than me (all americans). It sounds stereotypical but this is based on my own observations.

ladygrim
^ that happen to me when i worked at alton towers hotel ... we had to charge if they wanted Towels and customers were always like 'well we were w told on the phone that the hire of things would ccome free '

jaden101
being a student i had to get myself a part time job...ended up being in a supermarket in "the wrong part of town" so to speak

the people in general, are a good craic...they dont look down their noses at you simply because you work in a supermarket

it always seems to take them by surprise when they complain about something and i agree with them

i learned to do that through experience because the company i work for tells you what you can and cannot allow in terms of what you can offer the customer due to their service policy...yet when you stuck to the policy and the customer asked to see your boss...then your boss caves in and gives the customer something even though its against company policy...and thus makes you look like a complete dick in the customers eyes...then you quickly learn to either palm off the customer to a manager as quickly as possible...or just agree with them and get them what they want

all in though...the customer is rarely ever right because they rarely know what's legal and what's just policy

Nichole
I have had so many customers claim they ordered something when they didn't, even when I show them the reciept, they tell me 'I ordered it'! It pisses me off that they think they are always right. I wish I could tell them to kiss my arse, but then I'd probably get fired. stick out tongue

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Lumanix
Unless you want to go out of business.

botankus
I've never seen a man or woman go to a proper restaurant and try to get a free meal.

I've never seen that in McDonalds to be honest.

-AC
I worked in a sit-down restaurant for 9 years and there was this chick who would come in with her kids and, like clockwork, every time there was a roach in her food. Free meal after free meal. Finally, she came in and we readjusted the video camera to include her table and, sure enough, she was caught on tape pulling the roach from her purse and putting it in her food.

She got one of those "don't come back now, ya hear?" kind of exits from our manager.

redcaped
Yes, specially when you want to eat blue berry waffles during the switch from breakfast to lunch.

Victor Von Doom
Let's take various well-known phrases literally, and then debate our way back to the true meaning.

'There's no smoke without fire'.

So, what, are you saying once the fire's been put out the smoke magically disappears? You're stupid! It stays there for a while.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Let's take various well-known phrases literally, and then debate our way back to the true meaning.

'There's no smoke without fire'.

So, what, are you saying once the fire's been put out the smoke magically disappears? You're stupid! It stays there for a while.

I think I understand...Let me try:

"The rain...in Spain...falls mainly...on the plain."

Right, so that means that Spain is shit. Got it.

Bardock42
Of course not.

botankus
Originally posted by Bardock42
Of course not.

Way to break off 7 hours of inactivity with a spine-tingling post.

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
Way to break off 7 hours of inactivity with a spine-tingling post.

I thought an easy question needs an easy answer.

botankus
I'm just discouraged by the fact that it took you 7 hours to come up with that. At what hour did you come up with each word / letter? Please tell me.

Quiero Mota
laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by botankus
I'm just discouraged by the fact that it took you 7 hours to come up with that. At what hour did you come up with each word / letter? Please tell me.

7:57:10 pm GMT: Typed up a 3000 word reply (won the Nobel Prize in all categories in 2010...oh and the Fields Medal) going into detail and while doing so also disproved the existence of God
7:57:25 pm GMT: Took a shit...twice
7:57:37 pm GMT: Won the tour de France
7:57:42 pm GMT: Figured out the solution to the root of "-1"
7.58:00 pm GMT: Deleted my whole post and decided to type something up closer to the general comprehension skills of KMC users.

botankus
Mission accomplished!!!! Especially that last part. I think we've found the Greatest Man in the World.

WrathfulDwarf
In a common sense way...no, he isn't and never will be. Example:

My first job was in a Hardware store. I happen to have some knowledge of plumbing and helped the customer get what he need it. So happens we usually get the person with no knowledge but too damn proud of himself and thinking he was doing the right thing. We suggest what he need it and what to get. Well, they didn't really follow suggestions and occasionally would return and ask if we knew a good plumber.

Customer is not right in these cases.

In a business way...yes, and a basic obvious fact..you're interested in making money. So you satisfied the customer as much as you can.

No matter how much you hate the guy/gal for being obnixious you gotta served them. It gives a good image to your business and keeps other customers coming.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No matter how much you hate the guy/gal for being obnixious you gotta served them. It gives a good image to your business and keeps other customers coming.

That's true, ey. When I was a teenager I got fired from my job as a waiter for being an ******* to customers.

Imperial_Samura

The thing, I have found with my experience, is about control. The customer, in all reality, can often be wrong, ignorant and so on. But you want them to think they are right. You want to control their perceptions. It is an important concept.

Salesmanship, I have heard, is an art. A balancing act for the really good ones salesmen and women out there. Ultimately they serve the customer, and one has to keep the customer happy and open to buying - otherwise one has failed, since selling things is the whole purpose. This isn't so much different for a check out clerk or customer service - keeping the customer happy, come hell or high water.

Grimm22
I worked in a grocery store for 3 months or somthing like that.

My boss would flip out over customer service.

Of course all the customers were ***holes, who had no manners or anything like that. Oh and 80% of them were really old.

Damn old people, taking my money for your social security! mad stick out tongue

Roulette

It is a load of crap yes

Buuuuuut...sometimes you just have to agree with a customer who's wrong. You could lose a sale if you don't.

johnv89
I have been working in customer service in a major hardware store for almost a year now. I spent the last decade in the military and I never would have thought how difficult it is putting up with people's additudes. I actually had one guy take a swing at me because I would'nt lower the price on a bag of mulch. After a year of this crap, Im starting to really learn how to tip-toe around angry customer's. Still though, a part of me will remember the real a**holes I dealt with, and if I ever see them again outside work... let's see how tough they really are.

Ms Hyde
Sort of smile We're all customers in one way or another. As long as either/both party can be reasonable, I think a reasonable outcome can be reached.

Council#13

Well, you gotta do what the customer wants. I mean, say you're a lawyer. If they are stupid enough to tell you how to do your job, then you'll lose the case and they'll have to pay you, all the same. If you're a doctor, that's a completely different story. The idiocy of a customer could cost them their life. Taxi drivers, tailors, plumbers, doesn't matter. Customer is right. But when their life is in your hands, then it is up to you to judge what you think is right.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
The thing, I have found with my experience, is about control. The customer, in all reality, can often be wrong, ignorant and so on. But you want them to think they are right. You want to control their perceptions. It is an important concept.

. Very true. You have to know how to work with people and turn things around. cool

It's not really manipulation........It's just called people skills......... stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.