What's the weirdest place you've found good music?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Himo
At wihch store, which seems liek it would NEVER carry anything good, does?

I rexently went to Circuit City and found GZA- Liquid Swords nad Can Ox- the Cold Vein.

Mugen
Borders for me, i thought they would only have mainstream music, and pop music. I found Madvillainy, Murs and 9th wonder's album ,Quasimoto, and lots of other good stuff. best part about it is, its right down the street. chances of that huh?

Himo
Originally posted by Mugen
Borders for me, i thought they would only have mainstream music, and pop music. I found Madvillainy, Murs and 9th wonder's album ,Quasimoto, and lots of other good stuff. best part about it is, its right down the street. chances of that huh?

Madvillainy? I've been looking all over for that one. My old copy got scratched to hell.

B dot Rob
The Pawn Shop. Saw a copy of Dogg Food for $5 a few years back, snapped it up with the quickness.

Scarecrow756

Dr. Strangelove
Originally posted by Mugen

Borders actually has an excellent selection of underground music for a chain store. It really surprised me, as it is about 50-50 in terms of underground to mainstream. I actually bought illogic- celestial clockwork from Borders, which I haven't seen in any other music store since.

The only weird place I can think of is seeing Dangerdoom at Target. Target has the worst selection of music out there, so it was a surprise seeing DD there, although it was a very popular release for a underground record.

Mugen
Originally posted by Himo
Madvillainy? I've been looking all over for that one. My old copy got scratched to hell. amazon is selling it for 9.50 right now, better jump at it.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
The only weird place I can think of is seeing Dangerdoom at Target. Target has the worst selection of music out there, so it was a surprise seeing DD there, although it was a very popular release for a underground record.

belive or not Strangelove, its near impossible to find another website that sells Blunderbus(or in transit) and i found the one copy at amazon for like $13.99, i had to jump at it though because only their record label website sells it, and for $13.50 at that. I also found Dangerdoom in mediaplay, do they have a good selection, i never stopped to look?

Inspectah Deck
LimeWire!

AcrypT
Not quite like you guys, I found a place that unexpectingly plays great music.

I'm from Israel, I was flipping through radio channels while driving and came uppon a lebanees radio station that play really good music 24/7. The station caught my attention with the song Sober, by Tool. I listen to that station every time I'm in the car ever since; they even talk in english between songs.

That's gotta be my greatest shock in finding good music someplace unexpected.

Quiero Mota
Crappy movies

Victor Von Doom
On a car bonnet.

StinkFist462
Barnes & Noble i found Tool - Salival last year , long after it was out of print.

tabby999
Opshops. Me and friends have found Nirvana - Nevermind, Don McLean - American Pie, Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks and a few other nice vynils for under a dollar a pop

Darth Revan
Originally posted by StinkFist462
Barnes & Noble i found Tool - Salival last year , long after it was out of print.

Yeah, I'm sometimes surprised with B&N's music selection also. I found Pretty Hate Machine there during the period when it was out of print.

One time some Rasta-looking guy walked up to me on the street, pulled out a CD, and said "reggae music". Don't know if it was good music, but it was pretty funny.

dani_california
This random college station. At like three in the morning on Saturdays they play underground punk bands that no ones ever heard of from the seventies. The rest of the time its jazz.

tabby999
thats a good point, i used to work at a radio station with a massive record collection with some gems in it. after years of getting shat on i quit and took them with me, got some Iron Maiden, some Madness, some of the old goonies records, Toe To Toe, old Chilis, some good stuff

SelphieT
Here actually.

masterkit
walmart, their music is so so messed up u cant find anything! so im surprised i found wut i wanted.

Da preacher
A secondhand comicstore.

Found Dirty Mind, Controversy, Exodus, The Vault Old Friends 4 sale... and For You by Prince.

el_barto
I found like an entire section of Austin musicians at a local chain of grocery stores (they recently opened a 'Mega' store) called H.E.B with many good bands, including Zykos and I cant remember the other bands, but most of them were pretty good.

RedAlertv2
While playing Counterstrike

C-Dic
..and here I was thinking the question was asking where you literally discovered good music, meaning, not music you already were familair with.

If that's the case, when I played DDR for the first time, cycling through the catalogue. I jotted down a couple of tracks, went home and then downloaded them.

RedAlertv2
Im not saying a good song popped onto my playlist while I was playing CS. I was talking music with some guy between lifes and he reccomended a good band. So no, I was not already familiar with it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.