ES 4 Oblivion Dream idea thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Burning thought
This Thread is about Bethesta softworks game, TES 4 Oblivion

the other thread was more on gameplay and the game itself, this thread is about what could, should and may be in future ES games, including dreams and things that perhaps would be slightly impossible but cool things in game play

Heres a few to get it started

First i was disapointed in the fact that the guilds were quite small, and actually although the world was large, the amount of people in it was not, there was a max of about 50 people in each city in the game, and the most they did was walk around, say the same things over and over again, you could only talk to most of them about rumours which was basically the same things on every person you asked and then they would just go back home and sleep or play with bits and pieces around the house or the area they were in........I think it would be cool if there were loads of other NPCs, some who talked in the city about everything there was going on, about other people, about people who had things stolen from them, about who is the new guild master of whatever guild...and other NPC's who actually bought armour and weapons and went adventuring like you, or perhaps with you if you paid them enough or were friends with them, you could ask them to follow you or help you and such, would be a good system, prob hard to pull off with AI and all but still be a nice change from everyone doin the same old thing, its are you see other travelers. Psychic guards isnt good either, killing someone in their home at night, where there are no guards around and then they suddenly find you from halfway across the city and arrest you..its ridiculous

Another thing is guilds like i started with, they are too small, i think there should be loads more members for each and like above they should go out and be doing their own quests for the guild like you and you can help eachother and like you they should be gaining money, new items and such, magic equipment, have their own home that they go to, its strange that half of the guild members in the game all sleep in the guild halls...another anoying thing is, is that when your a leader of a guild you are not as famous as you should be...for example i am an Arch mage, leader of wizards, but whenever i go up to a guard it still says the same old "what do you need CITIZEN" i mean cmon, ime not a Citizen, i am damned Arch-mage, most powerful known wizard in Cyrodil and there him callin me a damned citizen, nobody seems to know about the battle against necromancers, or the Arch mage of the world, for heavens sake. It would be nice to see people knowing you of your power as well, if you have shown that you can destroy minataurs with a few hits or a single blast of magic or can defeat entire armies of goblins without while yawning the people of Cyrodil should know of such feats and either be afraid or in awe

anyway i think this is too much as it is and if i put all the changes id want to the game i think wed have about 10 posts in here already...anyway now its your turn big grin

DigiMark007
It's easily the most expansive RPG in history, even if the cities are small-ish. And we were already shown that once you start getting too big (ES II: Daggerfall) that towns lose their originality and feel exactly the same. I'd rather have less people/less towns/etc. with more detail than too many with not enough detail.

And there's Mods for the psychic guards thing....I actually have one installed currently.

I agree about the need for more diverse equipment, but by creating your own stuff (and enchanting it) a lot of that is accomplished. And I think a lot of super-uber stuff was kept out for play-balance reasons. I also agree about a bit more diverse dialogue tree (such as in Daggerfall) and more complex A.I. to react to different situations.

Still, small potatoes, relatively speaking.

And beyond that, we all would've crapped our pants if we were aware of Oblivion 4 years ago (even sans the great graphics). But our demands (and dreams) will always be ahead of programming prowess. But it's still good to discuss this stuff, as it keeps the industry moving forward.

Sorry to rain on your parade some, but that's just how I feel. You should try and contact Bethesda somehow if you're interested in following up on having these opinions heard (I know they monitor their own discussions forums on their games a lot). The small # of people is a common one among critics (same as in Morrowind) but it couldn't hurt to add your voice.

smile

Burning thought
as large as oblivion is, once you get high level, Minataurs and such are nothing....take WoW for example, look past its silly lookin (i dont mind them) cartoony graphics and you see there's so much to do, all the usual things such as mining and making your own equipment, but there must be about 1000 diffrent more monsters in WoW, each far cooler than anything in Oblivion, also there all diffrent types of items such as Epic and such, after an enormous boss battle and a long dungeon, you are treated to Epics and awsome items, wheras after a much shorter dungeon, with hardly any bosses worth mentioning and some rather boring IMO zombie/Wraith battles ime treated to either 90 gold or some trinket work only cash, not worth much to me.....Ofc to make oblivion into an offline WoW would be ridiuclous but from what ime coming from is that it needs MORE, creatures and enemies, MORE bosses, MORE things to do such as mining and trades and such and MORE items and rewards that are Epic or highly powerful, Also monsters should not be player level, they should be weak in some areas or strong in others, otherwise whats the point of getting stronger except to brag to friends ,most of the characters in the game dont recognise when you are powerful or not and the enemies are boring...WOW another minataur lord, how wonderful, oh look a wolf....OMG AWSOME AN IMP!!!...i truly belive as good as the concept to the game is cool, they need Dragons, giant monsters, rock golems that are the size of small hills and cliffs and such, monsters that make you shout OMG LOOK AT THAT.... not a simple wolf or minataur

PeterGriffin
They need to make magic better erm

I waste so much time and mana hurling fireballs at a deer that keeps jumping around the place, because all the spells follow a linear trajectory.....if they somehow made a lock-on system, or something that could make magic better, then it would increase the fun in that field.

Burning thought
i agree, also i dont think the magic seems as sparkly enough to me, if you see some screens of some magic games or games with magic in it such as Hell gate:London or World of Warcraft, their magic effects are bright and look like magic, wheras the most you see in oblivion is large fire balls or lightning and such, not too exciting if you asked me, and yes indeed, homing is necessary or faster bolts

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Burning thought
as large as oblivion is, once you get high level, Minataurs and such are nothing....take WoW for example, look past its silly lookin (i dont mind them) cartoony graphics and you see there's so much to do, all the usual things such as mining and making your own equipment, but there must be about 1000 diffrent more monsters in WoW, each far cooler than anything in Oblivion, also there all diffrent types of items such as Epic and such, after an enormous boss battle and a long dungeon, you are treated to Epics and awsome items, wheras after a much shorter dungeon, with hardly any bosses worth mentioning and some rather boring IMO zombie/Wraith battles ime treated to either 90 gold or some trinket work only cash, not worth much to me.....Ofc to make oblivion into an offline WoW would be ridiuclous but from what ime coming from is that it needs MORE, creatures and enemies, MORE bosses, MORE things to do such as mining and trades and such and MORE items and rewards that are Epic or highly powerful, Also monsters should not be player level, they should be weak in some areas or strong in others, otherwise whats the point of getting stronger except to brag to friends ,most of the characters in the game dont recognise when you are powerful or not and the enemies are boring...WOW another minataur lord, how wonderful, oh look a wolf....OMG AWSOME AN IMP!!!...i truly belive as good as the concept to the game is cool, they need Dragons, giant monsters, rock golems that are the size of small hills and cliffs and such, monsters that make you shout OMG LOOK AT THAT.... not a simple wolf or minataur

Um. Then go play WoW. Both are good games in different ways, but it's obvious that's more your style. Personally, I can't stand MMRPGs, so to each his own.

And sorry to play devil's advocate here, but honestly this entire thread just seems to me like a rant that could easily go in the regular Oblivion thread. If you aren't actually looking to find worthwhile outlets for these ideas (like I suggested above in my first post) what exactly is the point of this except to whine?

Burning thought
the point of this thread is so that i can see what other people have problems with in the oblivion game...i would play WoW but as you said its an MMORPG which needs subcription which i dont have and it requires someone to play it who is actually in the mood to play with other players which in some cases i cant be bothered with....its also unplayable at the higher stages unless you have an entire guild that goes on raids, which i dont........if you dont like it then just leave the thread alone?.......your acting like your a member of Bethesta softworks and are trying to defend the game....are you?

DigiMark007
Nah, I'm just critiquing the thread more than anything. I have gripes with any game I play (Oblivion included), and you're certainly welcome to your opinions of the game.

But loads of people have expressed similar opinions in the Oblivion thread, without creating their own personal soap-box from which to spout them. So I guess I'm just not seeing the point, and it probably comes off like I'm defending the game simply because I'm interested in the game so I've come to this thread more than once and all I see is Oblivion-bashing, so it's natural for me to make counter-points where I see fit.

And notice that I've agreed with you once or twice as well...a lot of your opinions are very valid, and I agree, just not with the execution of them here in the forum.

I'm probably done now though since I've said my piece, so I'll stop bothering you.

Burning thought
thanks big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.