300 - What did you think?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
I was told this 5 part series was really freakin good..... but I just read it and I thought it was pretty "meh"

Have any of you plebs read it?

DigiMark007
300?

xmarksthespot
I don't think I like being called a pleb. sad

It's Frank Miller right? Was going to read it but didn't care for the art.

Scoobless
Originally posted by DigiMark007
300?

A 5 part mini about the Spartans fighting the Greek armies... somone on KMC recently had a sig made from it:

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/4882/30001honor00fcbcrn7.th.jpg

King_Mungi
That's the comic book being made into a movie right?

Scoobless
Originally posted by King_Mungi
That's the comic book being made into a movie right?

I don't know.... when I read it (about 5 minutes ago) I thought it would work better as a movie.... but this genre has been done to death in recent years with Troy, Alexander, LOTR, Braveheart, Gladiator, King Arthur, etc, etc..... we really don't need another big ancient warrior brawl type of film at the moment.

EDIT: Just found this: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809262865/info

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Scoobless
I don't know.... when I read it (about 5 minutes ago) I thought it would work better as a movie.... but this genre has been done to death in recent years with Troy, Alexander, LOTR, Braveheart, Gladiator, King Arthur, etc, etc..... we really don't need another big ancient warrior brawl type of film at the moment

I double checked it is getting a movie

Scoobless
Now I know where Leonidas stole his screen name from.... and here was me thinking he had come up with it by himself

stick out tongue

Black Adam
read a few weeks ago. i liked it.

leonidas
Originally posted by Scoobless
Now I know where Leonidas stole his screen name from.... and here was me thinking he had come up with it by himself

stick out tongue

laughing

actually, the name DID of course come from the spartan king. but the book that inspired me to choose the name was stephen pressfield's GATES OF FIRE. now if you want to REALLY read a story about the battle at thermopylae, read THAT book. among the VERY best i've ever read.

knowing a lot of the history, i was looking forward to 300. while reading it, i couldn't help but compare 300 with gates of fire though. unfortunately, 300 doesn't match up. i did enjoy the series, but obviously it can't go into the detail of a novel. still, i thought the sig very appropriate for obvious resons, big grin and i may well have enjoyed the series more had i not had pressfield's interpretation firmly entrenched in my mind.

seriously -- gates of fire. if you're a fan of history, or the historical genre, it's a 'can't miss'.

Lucid Lui
I thought it was a good read. I loved the art, some of Miller's best work IMO.

Darth Vicious
WTF is a "pleb"? And whats the story about?

DigiMark007
plebian. Refers to a low-ranking social class, and carries innuendo to Roman times (if I'm not mistaken).

And yeah, I recognized leo's name. Haven't read that book (or 300), but I'm up on enough history to have recognized it. All in all, a better-fitting name than most of the crap here on KMC, mine included, unfortunately.....he references ancient Greek history. Mine, Digimon and James Bond. embarrasment

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by DigiMark007
plebian. Refers to a low-ranking social class, and carries innuendo to Roman times (if I'm not mistaken).

And yeah, I recognized leo's name. Haven't read that book (or 300), but I'm up on enough history to have recognized it. All in all, a better-fitting name than most of the crap here on KMC, mine included, unfortunately.....he references ancient Greek history. Mine, Digimon and James Bond. embarrasment

I thought thats what it meant, thanks D.

roughrider
Frank Miller's 300 was quite good. Lynn Varley knows how to colourize her husband's work.
Only reason I haven't bought it yet was I also read Gates Of Fire, and that is even better.
The movie version of 300 comes out next March.

SnakeEyes
I started a thread on this a while ago, and I pretty much had the "meh" reaction. Although I'm not really a Frank Miller fan either, so call me biased if you will. It was decent, but not as good as it was cracked up to be.

What I think about the upcoming film:

I've read the graphic novel, and although I enjoyed it, I really didn't see it as movie material. It simply wasn't long enough and didn't really focus around a character. I mean, if focused on Leonidas, but there was no character development or anything like that. Unless they add a whole bunch of content that wasn't in the graphic novel, I'm not so sure this movie will be that great. Visually, I think it will be stunning, but overall, I don't think it'll be that good. The novel Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield would make a MUCH better film.

Doc Potato
They're just stuck on comic movies right now, but now they're evidently trying to get into deeper comic material, EG Watchmen, 300 and A history of Violence... but Watchmen will suck. Dunno about 300...

roughrider
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I started a thread on this a while ago, and I pretty much had the "meh" reaction. Although I'm not really a Frank Miller fan either, so call me biased if you will. It was decent, but not as good as it was cracked up to be.

What I think about the upcoming film:

I've read the graphic novel, and although I enjoyed it, I really didn't see it as movie material. It simply wasn't long enough and didn't really focus around a character. I mean, if focused on Leonidas, but there was no character development or anything like that. Unless they add a whole bunch of content that wasn't in the graphic novel, I'm not so sure this movie will be that great. Visually, I think it will be stunning, but overall, I don't think it'll be that good. The novel Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield would make a MUCH better film.

Michael Mann was supposed to direct Gates Of Fire, but he got caught up with other projects, dammit. Now how can it be made, with 300 hitting theatres first?

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Doc Potato
They're just stuck on comic movies right now, but now they're evidently trying to get into deeper comic material, EG Watchmen, 300 and A history of Violence... but Watchmen will suck. Dunno about 300...

If Watchmen is anything like V, it will definitely suck. . The only director who make Watchmen work would be Kubrick. Pity he's dead. I think it would work miles better if it was created into a T.V. series sad

'Michael Mann was supposed to direct Gates Of Fire,'

Doesn't really seem his style, although i maybe wrong. As long as Oliver stone doesn't direct it, I'm fine. Mind you combination of the comic book and epic genres maybe too much for more commercial audiences. re If there are too many more comic book / epic flops, i can see the Hollywood looking at different genres.

In all honesty i think the best comic book movie would be a rendition of the 18 issue Supreme power series.

who?-kid
Originally posted by roughrider
Michael Mann was supposed to direct Gates Of Fire, but he got caught up with other projects
Thank God !

roughrider
Originally posted by who?-kid
Thank God !

I think Micheal Mann would be quite good. He's done period action before - The Last Of The Mohicans - and the theme of the story appeals to his sensiblilities. His film work, like Mohicans, The Jericho Mile, Thief, Manhunter, Heat, Ali, Collateral - they are about individual(s) of great talents who want to live in the world on their own terms, but are often forced or pulled into causes or situations where they must defend others, sometimes as a price for freedom. Like the Spartans, finally stirring to action as a means to get all of Greece to unite against the Persians, though for the first 300 it means death.

Scoobless
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
In all honesty i think the best comic book movie would be a rendition of the 18 issue Supreme power series.

I would quite like to see that as well..... as long as they don't f**k it up by making it into another child-friendly comic movie

Although most people who watched it may just think it's a new take on Superman.... which it pretty much is

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by roughrider
Michael Mann was supposed to direct Gates Of Fire, but he got caught up with other projects, dammit. Now how can it be made, with 300 hitting theatres first?

Damn.

I was really looking forward to the Gates of Fire film as opposed to 300 (which is coming out first... considering Gates of Fire may not even come out at all, lol).

But seriously, how are they going to make 300 into a good movie? There's not enough material.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.