Miles or Coltrane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vanice
who do you think is the best?

Afro Cheese
For me, Miles Davis is one of the biggest names in music, period.

Now I love John Coltrane, in fact "The Love Supreme" is possibly my favorite album of all time, and his effect on jazz was huge what with helping form free jazz and whatnot. But Miles Davis is just one of those larger than life characters in music. First off he starts off making normal hard bop, is some what innovative with his pre-Kind Of Blue music releasing classics such as Round About Midnight and eventually is credited for inventing "cool jazz" with his "kind of blue" album, which was a very dominant for of jazz for that time period afterwards. Now Kind Of Blue is basically referred to in general as the essential jazz album for anyone to pick up, jazz fan or not. Directly after Kind Of Blue, he creates another innovative album with Gil Evans being credited as one of the first to bring the true latin jazz sound to the states with Sketches Of Spain. As if that isn't enough, he gets more and more experimental with his albums as time moves on, making numerous masterpieces such as Nefertiti, In a Silent Way, and then finally, Bitches Brew, which is cited by many as the first true fusion album, fusion being basically the most dominant form of jazz afterwards along with perhaps free jazz.

Not to mention that he helped start the careers of many great jazz artists; Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderly, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, and of course John Coltrane himself.

Tptmanno1
^^Agreed...
But put them both together and the biggest influences music has ever known.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.