Papoose

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tallis
Whats your opinion on him.

I've listened to most of his tracks and I think he gonna be the one to save rap.

Skeets
To save rap? Nah.
I get to hear all his stuff on the radio and mixtapes here in N.Y.Imo he's decent but not great.

Tallis
He the only one who's on mainstream right now that seems to be rappin real shit not like 50 and them niggaz

Afro Cheese
I think he's the exact opposite of what's going to "save rap." He's just another mediocre, by-the-books, new york mixtape emcee. This type of music is hurting rap 10 times more than crunk ever would or could, because there's absolutely no innovation involved.

-hh-
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I think he's the exact opposite of what's going to "save rap." He's just another mediocre, by-the-books, new york mixtape emcee. This type of music is hurting rap 10 times more than crunk ever would or could, because there's absolutely no innovation involved. on point thumb up

Tallis
I think he's the exact opposite of what's going to "save rap." He's just another mediocre, by-the-books, new york mixtape emcee. This type of music is hurting rap 10 times more than crunk ever would or could, because there's absolutely no innovation involved.

I think the exact opposite. I hate crunk music, so maybe I'm biased. Though Papoose is a bit weak when it comes to meta's and at times his flow falls off, I think it's 10x better than what you hear on the radio.

Let me rephrase what I said, I don't think he'll be the one to save rap, but he'll be the one to start the tide in which Rap will return to what it once was.

Afro Cheese
But there is no returning to what it once was, that's called stagnating and it's the worst thing music could do. I am not a fan of Lil Jon any more than you but one thing that can be said for him that can't be said for Papoose is that there is an element of originality and innovation, you may not like the path rap has taken but it's better than recycling the same east coast textbook emcee rap music like artists such as Papoose and Dipset are doing.

Tallis
In otherwords change is inevitable, and it's time I get use to it.

But I refuse. Everytime I sit down and listen to a Tupac or Biggie track I realize what it is I miss. Then I look at Lil Jon and it's like ****.

The only dude I can actually stand and actually like is T.I. and I HATE yung Jock. HATE HIM!!!!!!!

But atleast Papoose will offer a window into what I remember rappin to be about even though some of his stuff is recycled. And I think that why I believe he could save rap.

People do miss that old school flavor, and crunk is really getting on people's nerves. Maybe the East Coast might be recycled but who knows amidst the rough a truly innovational rapper, worthy in comparison to Tupac, could actually appear. And that what I'm hopin for

Afro Cheese
I'm not saying that i think Crunk is the right direction for rap music to take. To me it's just party music, I don't hate it with a passion any more than I hate miami bass anthems celebrating booty shaking, I just don't want it to be the path that rap music takes.

But what I think about artists such as Papoose is, that they offer nostalgia in the form of music to east coast fans who think hip hop is dead, and they help drag innovation in rap to a screeching halt. Cause now instead of looking for truly innovative underground artists (and they're out there, check the !!!!!hiphop!!!! thread) people look for flashback artists, for dudes who just do the whole multis, textbook flow and chorus recipe they learned at hip hop 101 to try to attempt to recreate the same music east coast rappers have been making for the past 15 years. I'm not just saying change is inevitable, I'm saying change is good, change is necessary for music to thrive.

All mixtape artists like papoose or hell rell do is drag the attention away from artists who are pushing boundaries, in my eyes. Basically it's not that I don't think Papoose is better than Lil Jon, just that crunk music will inevitably spark an anti-crunk movement, and anti-crunk artists. These artist can be actual innovativors such as Cannibal Ox, or they can be recyclers such as Dipset.

B dot Rob
Papoose is ass but not nearly as bad as Cannibal Ox.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Tallis

I've listened to most of his tracks and I think he gonna be the one to save rap.

^agree

i gots to disagree. he might not be a classic or meet your standards but he's a decent emcee.

Blue_Hefner
Pap is alright but he's not nearly as good as my nigga Saigon.

-hh-
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Pap is alright but he's not nearly as good as my nigga Saigon. Saigon is MUCH better than Pap.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Tallis

I've listened to most of his tracks and I think he gonna be the one to save rap. Yes I agree strongly. Ive heard his underground tracks and he pretty good. Did he come out with any albums yet?

-hh-
Originally posted by JacopeX
Yes I agree strongly. Ive heard his underground tracks and he pretty good. Did he come out with any albums yet? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pap has been rapping since 98-99. he worked with Kool G Rap at one point.

which of his songs did u like?

JacopeX
Originally posted by -hh-
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pap has been rapping since 98-99. he worked with Kool G Rap at one point.

which of his songs did u like? Well I heard this song featuring some DJ I forgot and the DJ yells out a letter and all he uses is that words that start with that letter only. I really feel it. Really cool. I also heard freestyles from him also. He uses his lyrics in a unique way ive never heard. I cant say he one of the best artist, but he pretty good thats what I have to say about him.

-hh-
Well I heard this song featuring some DJ I forgot and the DJ yells out a letter and all he uses is that words that start with that letter only. I really feel it. Really cool. I also heard freestyles from him also. He uses his lyrics in a unique way ive never heard. I cant say he one of the best artist, but he pretty good thats what I have to say about him. that's not an old or underground song...

JacopeX
And.....I havent said if it was underground or not. The A-Z I mentioned I dont think was underground but the freestyles i heard from him where.

-hh-
And.....I havent said if it was underground or not. The A-Z I mentioned I dont think was underground but the freestyles i heard from him where.

you just said "Ive heard his underground tracks and he pretty good"

which songs?

Broke Beat
And.....I havent said if it was underground or not. The A-Z I mentioned I dont think was underground but the freestyles i heard from him where. i thought that was dumb and the DJ made it sound like he was going off the head, he was just throwing words together, it sounded like a nursery rhyme to me.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

^exactly what papoose was doing

if anyone is going to help shift rap into a better era of innovation, it will prolly be Lupe Fiasco, he is a solid emcee with great storytelling and Kanye may have a ghostwriter but he dosent fail behind the boards, not only that he gets raido and video play, so people will actually listen to him. solid rhymes, nice beats, and mainstream play..not saying hes gonna save rap, it dosent need saving, it needs changing, and i think Lupe has the potential to spark that change.

-hh-
Originally posted by Broke Beat
i thought that was dumb and the DJ made it sound like he was going off the head, he was just throwing words together, it sounded like a nursery rhyme to me.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

^exactly what papoose was doing

if anyone is going to help shift rap into a better era of innovation, it will prolly be Lupe Fiasco, he is a solid emcee with great storytelling and Kanye may have a ghostwriter but he dosent fail behind the boards, not only that he gets raido and video play, so people will actually listen to him. solid rhymes, nice beats, and mainstream play..not saying hes gonna save rap, it dosent need saving, it needs changing, and i think Lupe has the potential to spark that change. on point yes

i was impressed by Lupe's album, and his mixtapes are even better. ive only heard about 4 of his mixtapes out of like 20, but that was enough for me to judge him as an emcee with alot of potential.

Blue_Hefner
I think he's talking about Alphabet Slaughter that song with a bunch of alliterations

-hh-
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
I think he's talking about Alphabet Slaughter that song with a bunch of alliterations yup.

Just
I like him, I guess. I like him on other people's songs, but not his.

The Core
Can anyone tell me what the **** the sample is in Papoose's "Riding Shotgun"? It sounds way too familiar and it's driving me up a wall.

Papoose is a great emcee, he won't "save rap" but he's a breath of fresh air in the mainstream. He's going to force out the shitty mainstream crap we've been flooded with since the late 90's and show millions what good hiphop is. Papoose reminds me of Big L in his cleverness, style, flow, and large vocabulary. To me he's the reincarnation of Big L.

Tengu
i hardly ever hear of papoose in GA, mainly because down here we love Crunk rap and Club music. So i don't hear to much of him, but Big L i do listen to on my own time, and i must say he was truly talented. It is your opinion, but i gotta disagree, just going off of what i've heard of Papoose, i think Big L is miles above pap. Pap is decent but L was something serious IMO.

Originally posted by Tengu
i hardly ever hear of papoose in GA, mainly because down here we love Crunk rap and Club music. So i don't hear to much of him, but Big L i do listen to on my own time, and i must say he was truly talented. It is your opinion, but i gotta disagree, just going off of what i've heard of Papoose, i think Big L is miles above pap. Pap is decent but L was something serious IMO.

true i agree BigL is one of the God's of rap and is way above what papoose is, but whenever i listen to papoose i can't help but think of BigL....i think it's just the cleverness and the way they both play with words that gets me....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.