Personal Recommended Readings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
Well, this thread is about comics you personally feel were the greatest. Those issues that you define good solid comic story by and here is the place to recommend those comics to others.

No one's list will be the same, it's all about personal preference.

Top Five:
I dig Dr.Strange, I don't, however dig his every appearance. The greatest Strange comics are the ones found from Dr.Strange's second series 1-50. Best Strange comics ever. If you want to know more about this character, you have to read those issues.

Daredevil is possibly the greatest character ever...when written right that is. His new series written mostly by Kevin Smith or Brian Michael Bendis is his greatest. Key issues of that run are 10-20 and "Hardcore 1-5". He fights Kingpin and he does something you'd never expect!

Deathstroke. Alright, if you like Wolverine or the Punisher, you'll love Slade. His best comics are his early 80's Teen Titan comics. His series was great but after issue 20 it went down hill. In these comics you get to know Slade and how he deals with his personal demons.

Milk and Cheese. Like stupid humor? Like over the top violence committed by dairy products? Of course you do, who doesn't? M&C is the greatest funny book of our time.

Lucifer. Man, this book is wild. If you thought the matrix had you questioning true reality, this book will kick your ass.

wuTa
Bendis does a superb job of writing Daredevil, but if you get a chance to read him with Miller, than i'd recommend that, Miller made Daredevil

I love Nightwing, Dixon is probaly my favorite Nightwing writer, but Grayson and Winick give him justice, I'm lookin forward to Wolfman writing him which begins next month.

Arsenal Rocks too, Winick writes him good and The Titans aslo is a good title with him in it

I enjoy others of course like Gambit, Constatine, Spidey, but Marvel has dawged Gambit the past couple of years, Spidey has become overpowered, and I haven't had the chance to pick up any new Constatine.

pr1983
The only modern X-Men stuff anyone should really look at are New X-Men #114-#150 (written by Grant Morisson), and the current series of Astonishing X-Men (written by Joss Whedon)

Superman, nowadays, anything by Busiek (Secret Identity, the current runs of Action and Superman) or Verheiden (pre IC Superman v2), Mark Waid (Birthright)

Scoobless
Originally posted by wuTa
Spidey has become overpowered

Not really... they gave him a couple of new sensory abilities, "stingers" and a new costume.... but the only new thing he ever actually uses is the mechanical legs and not very often at that..... I mean seriously , the guy can now get information from insects (not sure exactly how useful that is, but still...) he can see in the dark but still uses a torch, the organic webs are basically the same as the old ones, he has a bullet proof suit... but he never gets shot anyway and if someone doesn't tell him he can become invisible he usually forgets all about it

It's the most overblown "upgrade" in comic history

pr1983
Either his or Icemans...

Scoobless
Iceman's a chump....... shifty

wuTa
Originally posted by Scoobless
Not really... they gave him a couple of new sensory abilities, "stingers" and a new costume.... but the only new thing he ever actually uses is the mechanical legs and not very often at that..... I mean seriously , the guy can now get information from insects (not sure exactly how useful that is, but still...) he can see in the dark but still uses a torch, the organic webs are basically the same as the old ones, he has a bullet proof suit... but he never gets shot anyway and if someone doesn't tell him he can become invisible he usually forgets all about it

Yea, but i just dont like the fact that he doesnt even need that shit...I mean the guy could dodge bullets(albeit from a distance) so why make his suit bulletproof?...lets just give Superman bodyguards, and Tony Stark a loan while we're at it.

Darth Vicious

And his costumes changes to any previous costume he has used before.

My reccomended reading is Y-The Last Man. Is a story of what happens when all male population in the planet dies and only a young man and his male monkey lives. Not only this is a very interesting series but some of the one liners are funny as hell.

The Pict
Astonishing X-Men, New Excalibur, Ultimate Spiderman.

galan7777777
for me, its by far the lucifer morningstar GN's/comics, they are a great and action packed read, and depict lucifer as much more then just a red guy with a pitchfork smile.... there are 75 comics in all, but they combined the comics into graphic novels and there are 11 of those.....and lucifers story actually begins in the sandman series vloume #4 (which is a great read as well)

galan7777777
another great comic series (even though it was later retconned) is "secret wars II" there are 9 issues and each explain and depict the beyonders limitless power.....its a great read; as is the series Marvel: The End in this series of 6 issues it explains how thanos obtains THOTU=the power of TOAA, and how he eventually decides to give it up

DigiMark007
Originally posted by wuTa
Yea, but i just dont like the fact that he doesnt even need that shit...I mean the guy could dodge bullets(albeit from a distance) so why make his suit bulletproof?...lets just give Superman bodyguards, and Tony Stark a loan while we're at it.

Fair enough, but people overlook that he gets the snot beat out of him occasionally as well. And yeah, he's also been shot....not often, but more than I'd care to admit (and mroe than I'd ever admit in the vs. forum laughing out loud )

Besides, does anyone really believe the iron costume id going to last more than another year or so? It's not really an upgrade in my opinion, just a temporary gadget.

So back on topic....

My #1 recommendation to anyone, comic fan or otherwise, is Gaiman's Sandman series.

Scoobless
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Besides, does anyone really believe the iron costume id going to last more than another year or so? It's not really an upgrade in my opinion, just a temporary gadget.

He's already pretty suspicious that Iron Man has been using it to spy on him... though his spider sense should have at least hinted to him that he was being monitored

xmarksthespot
Y - the last man. The Authority. Astonishing X-Men.

Validus
Y: The Last Man
Ex Machina
Fables

Best 3 books on the market, IMO.

Darth Vicious
Anybody reading "Girls"?

Scoobless
I've recently started reading "Invincible"... it's really bloody good

Accel
I've recently started reading "Invincible"... it's really bloody good
Ditto.

Solidus Snake
Id reccomend

Watchmen

Kingdom Come

XMen between 175-300

The Dark Knight Returns

JLA: The Nail

inamilist
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Anybody reading "Girls"?

i am

i recommend it to everyone

but it doesn't get much respect around here, maybe there is need of a respect thread?

Big Sexy
I recommend The Lucifer series. Its really good at defining point of views and the idea of good and evil. It also has a great depiction on the idea of choice and whether it even exists.
I felt the captain marvel 2004-2005 was a great series that chronicled Genis velle and his trips from insanity back to being a hero.

UniOmni
Invincible is a book i really enjoy right now.

Lucifer i'm thinking about starting.

Y- The Last Man, i've got on order
Same as Ex Machina, a world where Superheroes aren't revered, but
scoffed at.

Fables i skimmed, but wasn't really grabbed. Give it a try though.

And Runaways, is easily the favorite book on my shelf right now. Just good and fun.

pr1983
Iceman's a chump....... shifty

He can be at times...

galan7777777
Originally posted by UniOmni
Invincible is a book i really enjoy right now.

Lucifer i'm thinking about starting.

Y- The Last Man, i've got on order
Same as Ex Machina, a world where Superheroes aren't revered, but
scoffed at.

Fables i skimmed, but wasn't really grabbed. Give it a try though.

And Runaways, is easily the favorite book on my shelf right now. Just good and fun. if your planning on starting the lucifer series, then start with "the sandman" volume 4 (season of mists) it explains in depth why lucifer resigned from heaven, and somewhat explains how friggin powerful lucifer is........ and once u start the lucifer series itslef, try and read them in order, or u will be lost devilzwhite

willRules
Batman : Hush
Daredevil : Guardian Devil or anything Daredevil by Frank Millar
Marvel Secret Wars (thats wars not war)
X-men : Dark phoenix saga
Spider-man : Death of Gwen Stacey
Ultimates vol 1 and 2 and 3 (so far)
Astonishing X-men
Wolverine : Origin

galan7777777
the secret wars II issues 1-9 are all really good! ganon4

willRules
I haven't read the sequel, are the same heroes transported as last time?

galan7777777
Originally posted by willRules
I haven't read the sequel, are the same heroes transported as last time? well in secret wars II there is no battleworld as in the first series, instead the beyonder comes to earth to study its intriguing species........ but secret wars II shows just how incredibly powerful the beyonder is, its a great read......if u ever get the chance 2 read it there is 9 issues total, and you wont be dissapointed smile

long pig
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Fair enough, but people overlook that he gets the snot beat out of him occasionally as well. And yeah, he's also been shot....not often, but more than I'd care to admit (and mroe than I'd ever admit in the vs. forum laughing out loud )

So back on topic....

My #1 recommendation to anyone, comic fan or otherwise, is Gaiman's Sandman series.
For the life of me I can not get into Sandman. I hear such great stuff about it and I have all 75 or so issues, but I just can't read it. Hellblazer is the same way.

Damn european accent makes it too hard to read.

galan7777777
Originally posted by long pig
For the life of me I can not get into Sandman. I hear such great stuff about it and I have all 75 or so issues, but I just can't read it. Hellblazer is the same way.

Damn european accent makes it too hard to read. lol yeah there are only a select few of the sandman GN's that i can read because most of them are very slow (but very well written/illustrated)....... my favorite one is volume #4: season of mists

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
And his costumes changes to any previous costume he has used before.

My reccomended reading is Y-The Last Man. Is a story of what happens when all male population in the planet dies and only a young man and his male monkey lives. Not only this is a very interesting series but some of the one liners are funny as hell.

Is that New film based on it, with thingy from King Arthur ? .... Vaughn is a really underrated writer IMO.

I have an acquired comic book Taste, but my favourite comic book series, is definitely Planetary by Warren Ellis. Its like the X-Files mixed with the Fantastic four, Indiana Jones and Batman. Elijah Snow has to be one of the greatest characters to ever come out of Comics. In fact all you have to do is read Wheel dons and Alan Moore's Introductions and you're hooked. The art is by Cassaday, and i think it surpasses his Astonishing Work. You can currently collect the first 18 issues in trade form and the last 25 are soon to be out.

marvelprince
Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage. My very first introduction to comics was a box of comics which had the first seven of this fourteen part series along with Marvel's #2 and some X-men, Cloak and Dagger, Nighthawk, Wildcats (i know its not spelled that way), Hulk and a few other random issues. Needless to say Spider-Man really stuck out then

Marvels: As a kid I couldn't really appreciatte it (I had gotten issue 2) but looking back now I realize its very deep and thorough. i developed a whole new respect for Busiek when I tracked down the entire series

Daredevil: Bendis' entire run was amazing.

New Avengers: Loved all the subplots

Astonishing X-men: Great writer and artist. "Nuff said

Moon Knight (current series): So far I've loved every single minute of every issue. Finch's art is on point in this series and Huston has definitely got my attention

Batman (Brubaker): Got me into reading Batman full time

Kid Kurdy
The superb, fantastic, original and exciting Top Ten series !!! Alan Moore at his best, and that's saying a lot people !!!

Big Sexy
JLA One Million. Good future story arc. The plan to stop solaris was awesome.

Thor Disassembled- great arc about thors final ragnarok.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.