Finally Nightwing 124 spoilers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Devil Lance
Bruce Jones run on Nightwing is finally over. heres some spoilers for Nightwing 124 from the DC message boards.

I deem this issue the worst issue in nightwing's history.

Well I just finished reading NW 124. What a jumbled mess. It's pretty much the usual crap from Bruce Jones. It's also pretty obvious this little tale went through a rewrite because... hold your breath... Cheyenne is GONE!!! GONE, I SAY!!!!

Thank the dear lord. If anything good could come out of this title, it's showing that pseudo-Mary Sue the door. I was hoping to read her demise, but instead she just left for Hollywood, in the best soap opera tradition.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. As we left last issue, Nightwing was surrounded by cops, all with their weapons trained on him. How do you think he got out of this mess? You choices are:

1 - Using his weapons, fighting and strategic skills, he outsmarted the cops and got away.

2 - Cheyenne showed up to help him get away using her fantastic Mary Sue powers.

Which would you choose? I bet you'd choose #2, right? Well, surprise! That's not the answer this time.

But wait!

Surprise! Number one isn't the answer either. No, this is a trick question. The real answer is:

3 - Another superhero, who has not been mentioned once since the new writer took over, suddenly shows up with no rhyme or reason and helps Nightwing escape.

That's right, Arsenal shows up out of nowhere and helps Nightwing escape. Sound stupid? Darn right. Of course it's stupid. Why show Nightwing using his own skills to escape some Z-list cops whom, even under Chuck Dixon, he could waltz his way around, when instead Roy Harper can show up out of nowhere and assist him. The two exchange some mostly meaningless (and, as per Bruce Jones's usual, sophmoric) banter, and then Roy is gone from this story.

Oh, and Nightwing still gets shot by the cops (but only superficially, for that, I suppose we should be grateful). Roy doesn't seem to get a scratch.

It's official, folks, Roy Harper is a better crime fighter than Dick Grayson. Of course, NW jokes that he still 'has the moves', but as always, this is told to us and never shown. NW has fantastic moves, all right... in bed. Outside of the bedroom he's a danger to himself and everyone else... still... One Year and six months after Infinite Crisis.

Now, Roy says something to Dick about being seriously worried about him. Join the club, dude. Dick mentions that he is also worried about himself. About time, if you ask me. Roy suggests that a change might be in order. "More Dark Knight, less man of steel"?????

This is followed by the now standard Bruce Jones era Dick Grayson/Cheyenne sex scene. Nothing to praise here. Dick mentions that sex is all he can think about when she's around. Noooooooo, no Mary Sue in the works there. None at all.

The actual sex is intercut with a scene of Firefly or Firebug or Sparks or whatever the hell his name is (really, who gives a damn?) talking with his never before mentioned apprentice, a kid who can handle electricity or something. Together, they're going to reek havoc on the Pierce's (yes, they're still around) and Cheyenne (yeah, sure).

We then return to our two lovebirds (gag), and Cheyenne now knows what it means when 'the earth moves'. Then Mr. Furley comes in and catches Jack and Crissy... no, wait, sorry, wrong TV show.

Word balloons are wasted with Dick telling Cheyenne how she 'revitalizes him' and makes him 'want to leap over tall buildings'.

Somebody get me a bucket. I'm gonna throw up.

Then they have some kind of off the cuff fight (more like a tiff) that makes very little sense, and NW is gone out the window.

The finale of this 'chaotic arc' occurs when the fire villain's apprentice lures both Cheyenne and Barry Pierce to a rendezvous with a hackneyed routine that I've seen used many times on Frank Burns and Hot Lips from M.A.S.H. decades ago (luring each one to a place with letters that appear to be from each other) and a fight breaks out. During that fight the girl with the electricity powers, in a moment culled from the 'Jason Todd is somehow now a monster that swallows people' library of hackneyed plot points 'short circuits' Cheyenne's powers, blessedly ending her career as a Mary Sue.

Personally, I say we give the little girl the keys to the city. Thank you, nameless little girl. I owe you a beer.

In the end, Barry is not stopped, but Nightwing and Cheyenne get away. It appears that the two Z-listers, Firefly/Bug/Spark and the little girl, are now in custody, however. Hey, Nightwing sent a little girl to juvvie.

That'll do nothing but enhance your @ss-kicking rep, my friend.

Tried and true Nightwing right to the very end. No villains captured or defeated, Nightwing is shot in this issue, and the 'finale to our chaotic arc' seemed geared more towards wrapping up Cheyenne's place in Nightwing's life than to serving our main character's needs.

sick
Wolfman can't get here fast enough

Grimm22
Wow...im so glad I dropped this book big grin stick out tongue

What happened to the Jason Todd thing.

Was it actually Jason Todd? confused

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Grimm22
Wow...im so glad I dropped this book big grin stick out tongue

What happened to the Jason Todd thing.

Was it actually Jason Todd? confused
you should start picking it up again next issue Marv Wolfman starts writing it then.

He has a lot of work to do smile

Draco69
Poor, poor Nightwing.....

Are we sure this guy writing Nightwing is just a pen name for Chuck Austen?

He's been gone for quite a while.

The entire arc of soap opera, sexfests, and illogical storylines seems to scream CHUCK AUSTEN.....

Validus
1 more month until Nightwing returns. Outside of cameos in Infinite Crisis and Action Comics, the kid hasn't been seen in years.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Devil Lance
you should start picking it up again next issue Marv Wolfman starts writing it then.

He has a lot of work to do smile

Yeah i'll be picking it up then yes

I think DC should just erase this arc from continuity

Psyquis52
Originally posted by Grimm22
Yeah i'll be picking it up then yes

I think DC should just erase this arc from continuity I concur yes

Validus
Nah, they should keep Cheyenne if only because that's one more notch on Dick's bedpost.

Accel
Wasn't he still sleeping with Starfire just before the Crisis?

Validus
Originally posted by Accel
Wasn't he still sleeping with Starfire just before the Crisis?
They had a one nighter right before he got engaged to Barbara. laughing out loud

Draco69
Dick Grayson is whore...

Even Emma Frost never got that much game...

Validus
Originally posted by Draco69
Dick Grayson is whore...

Actually he's a rape victim.

What great a moment in Devin Grayson Nightwing history that was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Draco69
Originally posted by Validus
Actually he's a rape victim.

What great a moment in Devin Grayson Nightwing history that was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Who the hell was raped by...

Wait. Let me guess....

Huntress?

Validus
Tarantula. Nightwing #92 or around that. Whatever issue she killed Blockbuster in.

UniOmni
Ahh, the infamous Tarantula sex scene/ borderline rape?

But yeah, starting with Grayson, its been a continous degradation of Nightiwng, and for no apparent reason imo.

But him sleeping with Kory in the Insiders, only to propose to Babs right before IC was weird as hell.

Nightwing must be approaching icon status, if his books been this bad for years, and yet still invokes loyalty enough to have a solid fanbase that'll support his books.

Accel
Tarantula. Nightwing #92 or around that. Whatever issue she killed Blockbuster in.
The teenaged superhero wannabe?

Validus
Originally posted by UniOmni
Nightwing must be approaching icon status, if his books been this bad for years, and yet still invokes loyalty enough to have a solid fanbase that'll support his books.
Actually a lot of people finally jumped ship with the Bruce Jones stuff. His run was cut short and Marv Wolfman was signed just for that reason.

Still, when Dickie boy is written correctly, you get one of the most fun and cool characters to read about.

Draco69

Poor, poor Nightwing.

No wonder Didio wanted to kill him off......

Validus
Originally posted by Draco69
Poor, poor Nightwing.

No wonder Didio wanted to kill him off......
Didio is a moron.

UniOmni
Didio is a moron.

QFT. What the hell made him think people would want to read about Jason Todd as Nightwing?

marvelprince
Actually I think these last few issues served their editorial purpose. Remember Dick was slated to die in IC but Didio said he was convinced to keep NW around, but that if NW stayed around he'd have to be changed. Well from the beginning of this arc we have seen an incompetent Nightwing, one who's only motivator seems to be the lil Dick in his pants. Later we have Roy showing up and telling him that he need to be "more dark knight, less man of steel". I think this means Dick is gonna become more of a hard-ass, we'll probably get a few scenes of him training intensely, maybe a few of him going too far and beating someone too badly. He's probably also gonna be emotionally withdrawn and may even distance himself from women (I know thats pretty hard to believe). Basically we're gonna see him as a Batman pre-crisis. I mean, if you look at him in Outsiders thats basically how he is right now but I'm pretty sure the events in Outsiders will happen after his change. Just some of my predictions on the topic

Doc Potato
What's all this about Jason Todd becoming a monster!?

UniOmni
Originally posted by marvelprince
Actually I think these last few issues served their editorial purpose. Remember Dick was slated to die in IC but Didio said he was convinced to keep NW around, but that if NW stayed around he'd have to be changed. Well from the beginning of this arc we have seen an incompetent Nightwing, one who's only motivator seems to be the lil Dick in his pants. Later we have Roy showing up and telling him that he need to be "more dark knight, less man of steel". I think this means Dick is gonna become more of a hard-ass, we'll probably get a few scenes of him training intensely, maybe a few of him going too far and beating someone too badly. He's probably also gonna be emotionally withdrawn and may even distance himself from women (I know thats pretty hard to believe). Basically we're gonna see him as a Batman pre-crisis. I mean, if you look at him in Outsiders thats basically how he is right now but I'm pretty sure the events in Outsiders will happen after his change. Just some of my predictions on the topic

The last thing Dick needs, is to be Batman lite. Thats the last thing.
Nightwing was supposed to be his own thing.

Dick, is the optimist in Superman, with the realist in Batman.
He sees the world for what it is, but still sees something worth saving.

Without the boyscout naivety of Superman, and the dismal bleakness of Batman.

wuTa
Originally posted by Devil Lance

Wolfman can't get here fast enough

Ain't that the Truth....I've been reading this horrid Jones arc since it started and like an idoit I keep buyin the next issue, because i think its gonna get better, well with Wolfman atleast I KNOW its gonna get better...Atleast Outsiders shows Nightwing to be the superhero he is capable of being, although in the past few arcs he has been very Batman like, but that beats the Jones "Lets make Nightwing look like the biggest deuchebag/manwhore" arc

Validus
Nightwing should never be like Batman. Ever.

Devil Lance
Nightwing should never be like Batman. Ever.
I think the Prodigy story line did a great job of showing that.
smile

wuTa
I agree to an extent....Nightwing was perfect the way Dixon wrote him....but I still think there should be a batman quality in him, I'm not sayin make him in Batman Junior, I'm just saying give the man who trained him some reconigtion in a very very very subtle way.

DarkCrawler
Well, there is. For example, Catwoman stated that he moves just like his mentor, only faster. But Dick is his own character really, too headstrong to take after Bruce. That place goes to Tim.

marvelprince
Originally posted by UniOmni
The last thing Dick needs, is to be Batman lite. Thats the last thing.
Nightwing was supposed to be his own thing.

Dick, is the optimist in Superman, with the realist in Batman.
He sees the world for what it is, but still sees something worth saving.

Without the boyscout naivety of Superman, and the dismal bleakness of Batman.

Hey I agree, but from how he actually threatened Superman with kryptonite in the Outsiders and the discussion between him and Roy thats the way I think they're gonna play him

S.G
Nightwings cool. smokin'

NoFate007
Nightwing is one of the gems of the DC universe. He's awesome.

Mainstream
Originally posted by NoFate007
Nightwing is one of the gems of the DC universe. He's awesome.

yeah he's come a long way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.