Mos Def vs the Bush Administration

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

D-Double
Many artists have forgotten. Or they just aren't passionate about it anymore. Or they're scared.

... There are gangsters in the white house.

the performance (youtube)

the arrest (youtube)

the song and video (youtube)

the news

clap
It's not so much that artists are scared as that they're mostly irrelevant in the political process. They're good at bringing awareness to social issues, but as far as affecting political change they're ineffectual at best and counterproductive at worst.

The 2004 election is a perfect example of this. Hollywood mobilized against George Bush and it helped create a huge conservative backlash.

Bardock42
Well, I couldn't make out if it actual was a danger to the people around, but it's weird that someone can't perform in a public place anymore. I don't think that it was necessarily because of the controversial nature of the song though.

D-Double
Originally posted by clap
It's not so much that artists are scared as that they're mostly irrelevant in the political process. They're good at bringing awareness to social issues, but as far as affecting political change they're ineffectual at best and counterproductive at worst.

The 2004 election is a perfect example of this. Hollywood mobilized against George Bush and it helped create a huge conservative backlash.

I don't agree that they are irrelevant. If you have a loud voice, a platform, and are well informed on the issue, I say "shout it from the mountain top".
... especially if it's about social and political injustice.

That backlash was because pig-headed conservatives could face the fact that they were wrong. Most of those same conservatives just gave Bush a horrible approval rating. Maybe the learned their lesson.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, I couldn't make out if it actual was a danger to the people around, but it's weird that someone can't perform in a public place anymore. I don't think that it was necessarily because of the controversial nature of the song though.

Well, he didn't have a permit for rock'n the block (which is against the law).

But Mos Def said (and I'm paraphrasing) ... "I called them and called them , and they wouldn't let me perform my song. I'm in a movie that's coming out soon with Jack Black, and they wouldn't let me perform my song."

Bardock42
I don't get what the Jack Black thing has to do with anything...he's funny though. Anyways, well, I think arresting him (especially in such a manner) is ridiculous. They should bust those performers making shit music instead.

D-Double
... I think he was just saying that "I'm starring in a movie with Mr. Popular, so that should be something to at least let me perform outside"

... I could be wrong.

Bardock42
Originally posted by D-Double
... I think he was just saying that "I'm starring in a movie with Mr. Popular, so that should be something to at least let me perform outside"

... I could be wrong.

Yeah, well...that's a stupid thing to say...but I forgive him...cause he really knows where his towel is.

D-Double
I forgive him too.... because of his humongous balls.

... not a gay thing.

Bardock42
I forgive him too.... because of his humongous balls.

... not a gay thing.

Homophobe?

D-Double
That backlash was because pig-headed conservatives could face the fact that they were wrong. Most of those same conservatives just gave Bush a horrible approval rating. Maybe the learned their lesson.

sorry, I meant "couldn't"

Originally posted by Bardock42
Homophobe?

No. I just feel the need to clarify when admiring another man's genitals.

RZA
Why wouldn't MTV let him preform his song? I didn't see anything wrong with that song at all, it's not like he was sayin 'F*ck Bush, F*ck Bush over and over again or something. It was a song addressing real social and political issues like the Katrina disaster and the war in Iraq.

MTV will let Madonna kiss Britney Spears to protest gay marriage and stand behind that whole Superbowl production debacle but they wont let this guy do his song. WTF happened to MTV man? They use to be the rebellious station that didn't care what other people thought. They weren't like all these other cookie cutter media stations that were in the pockets of conservatives. Boy have times changed.

MTV is garbage these days anyway, it's become some kind of teenage buble gum pop culture crap. It's marketed these days towards young pre-pubescent teenage girls, that get a rush out of screaming over random celebs, with shows like TRL for example. It's all so PC now. Gone are the days of 'Yo MTV Raps' and 120 minutes with Matt Pinfield which introduced many up and coming alternative and hard rock bands. rock In short, MTV just sucks ass now.

Btw, the movie 'Strange Days' immediatley came to mind as I was watching this. Although, Glen Plummer's character in that movie was mostly based on Tupac.

Props to Mos Def. He's the Tupac of this generation. It's refreshing to see an artist especially a rapper these days that cares about social issues. Too much of that happy rap goin on these days, too much bling, bling crap, time to get back to the real issues and what put rap on the map in the 1st place, a voice for the people.

As Ali G would say 'Yo, keep it real'

Afro Cheese
I have to say I admire Mos Def for his views and his actions but his music has really taken a turn for the worse, that "Katrina Clap" song is just god awful. And I don't think it's ridiculous he was arrested either.. I could be wrong but I'd say he was probably expecting to be arrested, it actually helps his cause more than it hurts it.

FeceMan
Many artists have forgotten. Or they just aren't passionate about it anymore. Or they're scared.

... There are gangsters in the white house.

the performance (youtube)

the arrest (youtube)

the song and video (youtube)

the news
Hahaha.

Ha.

This is a joke thread, right?

Let's apply this logic and make a bunch of anti-liberal shit. Them pig-headed lib'rals can't admit when they's wrong!

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by FeceMan
Hahaha.

Ha.

Let's apply this logic and make a bunch of anti-liberal shit. Them pig-headed lib'rals can't admit when they's wrong!

What are Liberals wrong about ?

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Lord Urizen

Global Warming, Trees are more important than Humans, and countless other things that I can't think of on the top of my head, I'll watch the news and think later

What are Conservatives wrong about 0.o

Grimm22
Your both wrong.

Stop for a minute and look at the other persons point of view.

Because being biased or one sided isnt getting us anywhere

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Grimm22
Your both wrong.

Stop for a minute and look at the other persons point of view.

Because being biased or one sided isnt getting us anywhere

Actually that statement was itself one-sided but whatever.

It's opinion, in you're view We're both wrong, in my view, the Liberals are wrong on many things.

Stop making it sound easy, we both think the other is wrong, I look at it the same way, and I see something differant, the joys of Individualism wink

Grimm22
True, but thats the problem with people today.

They are completely one sided.

Heck people are willing to vote people into Senete only because they are against the Iraq War. How much sense does that make?!? What the f**k?

FeceMan
Neither the time nor the place for it, Urizen.

D-Double
Hahaha.

Ha.

No joke... IMO this is a very serious subject.

... And by the way, was that a country accent, a black accent, or a retarded liberal accent. Which ever one it was, I think I'm offended... Not sure though.

feel free to sound off...

D-Double
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I have to say I admire Mos Def for his views and his actions but his music has really taken a turn for the worse, that "Katrina Clap" song is just god awful. And I don't think it's ridiculous he was arrested either.. I could be wrong but I'd say he was probably expecting to be arrested, it actually helps his cause more than it hurts it.

I think the song has as much reality and feeling as alot of his best work. The song may be shabbily put together but the message and the words are powerful... as well as pained. I felt that pain. It resonated.

Yeah, he probably was expecting some kind of police static.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Hahaha...You make the claim, then cry-off when you can't back-up your comments? Pathetic.

I like the beat to the song, but I couldn't really hear the lyrics, yo.

It seems he was arrested for not having the required permit. It's not like he was censored during a permissible show. Indeed, a whole thread for this does seem a little tenuous.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hahaha...You make the claim, then cry-off when you can't back-up your comments? Pathetic.
Yes, it is truly pathetic not to engage in an activity that would start a flamewar, be off-topic, and get the thread locked. If only I could as heroic as you.

LMM

Are you trying to start a discussion or do you truly believe that everything in the liberal ideology is correct, and everything in the conservative ideology is wrong?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yes, it is truly pathetic not to engage in an activity that would start a flamewar, be off-topic, and get the thread locked. If only I could as heroic as you.

Live the dream, ShitBoy! However, seeing as you made the summation, it would seem self-evident that you started the process...But you just couldn't finish it.

Belegūr
He'll be out soon enough....unless he starts another war, or the Senate somehow changes laws and allows him to remain in office longer....

FeceMan
Live the dream, ShitBoy! However, seeing as you made the summation, it would seem self-evident that you started the process...But you just couldn't finish it.
On the contrary, I was merely paralleling the idiocy of one of the earlier posters.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by LMM
Are you trying to start a discussion or do you truly believe that everything in the liberal ideology is correct, and everything in the conservative ideology is wrong?

Nah..more like most of the stuff in the Liberal idealogy is correct, and most of the stuff in the Conservative idealogy is wrong....atleast in my opinion.

But I don't get along with all Liberals either....i actually have more liveral rivals than conservative laughing

Grimm22
Erg, both conservitives AND liberals are wrong.

I'll start with a popular topic; the Iraq war

Liberals say we should never have gone to Iraq ; Consirvitives think that we had every reason to go into Iraq the way we did.

Should we have gone into Iraq? Yes, Saddam Hussien was a monster who oppressed his people and DID have relations with Al-Queda, of course Saddam was more interested in his own power rather than joining up with a group of radicalist islamic terrorists.

However, we didnt go into Iraq right. Now I know we were kind of in a rush because we thought they had WMD's, but we went in half assed just like we went into Vietnam. Our troops did not have the propper equiptment or the training to deal with the threats from our enemy. Rather we should have put ALL of our resources into the war, a term known as Total War. This is one of the reasons Regan was so successful in winning the Cold War; The same with WWII and FDR. This way the war and the aftermath would have been over and very successful long ago.

Since we didnt do that, we had a long aftermath, after the actual war was over and since Iraq didnt have a way to defend itself, we had to stay there until they were ready. Just now are the majority of the forces in control of Iraqi police and soldiers.

Basicly the war is justified, but we went to Iraq for the wrong reasons, we should have taken out Saddam a LONG time ago. We could have done this a lot better, and because we didnt many good men and women died. This is a horrible tradgedy.

However, those who say we need to stay the course (Bush) and those who want to to cut and run (Most Democrats) are both wrong. We should start to pull out most of the troops from Iraq and put them back on course to hunting the terrorists, now that Iraq can handle itself for the most part. However we still need to have SOME troops there, not a lot, but we cannot simply just take everything out and leave. We didnt do that after WWII with Japan and we sure as hell shouldnt do it now.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Grimm22
Erg, both conservitives AND liberals are wrong.

I'll start with a popular topic; the Iraq war

Liberals say we should never have gone to Iraq ; Consirvitives think that we had every reason to go into Iraq the way we did.

Should we have gone into Iraq? Yes, Saddam Hussien was a monster who oppressed his people and DID have relations with Al-Queda, of course Saddam was more interested in his own power rather than joining up with a group of radicalist islamic terrorists.

However, we didnt go into Iraq right. Now I know we were kind of in a rush because we thought they had WMD's, but we went in half assed just like we went into Vietnam. Our troops did not have the propper equiptment or the training to deal with the threats from our enemy. Rather we should have put ALL of our resources into the war, a term known as Total War. This is one of the reasons Regan was so successful in winning the Cold War; The same with WWII and FDR. This way the war and the aftermath would have been over and very successful long ago.

Since we didnt do that, we had a long aftermath, after the actual war was over and since Iraq didnt have a way to defend itself, we had to stay there until they were ready. Just now are the majority of the forces in control of Iraqi police and soldiers.

Basicly the war is justified, but we went to Iraq for the wrong reasons, we should have taken out Saddam a LONG time ago. We could have done this a lot better, and because we didnt many good men and women died. This is a horrible tradgedy.

However, those who say we need to stay the course (Bush) and those who want to to cut and run (Most Democrats) are both wrong. We should start to pull out most of the troops from Iraq and put them back on course to hunting the terrorists, now that Iraq can handle itself for the most part. However we still need to have SOME troops there, not a lot, but we cannot simply just take everything out and leave. We didnt do that after WWII with Japan and we sure as hell shouldnt do it now.

1) Saddam Hussien did torture his own people, and did deserve to be taken out.

2) He had no connection to Al Qaida...he hates Bin Ladin

FeceMan
But I don't get along with all Liberals either....i actually have more liveral rivals than conservative laughing
Probably because you've managed to get nearly everyone on KMC to hate you.

Grimm22
1) Saddam Hussien did torture his own people, and did deserve to be taken out.

2) He had no connection to Al Qaida...he hates Bin Ladin

Thats what im saying no expression

Saddam wasnt a Islamic Radicalist like Osama is.

An evil madman? Yes. Islamic terorist? No

But, he did actually have ties to Osama from before 9/11. Of course he cut those ties.

Saddam probobly did have WMDs. Was he going to use them against us? Probobly not, thus taking that reason for the war is just stupid.

xmarksthespot
There were no WMDs. There were no substantive ties to Al Qaeda.

Grimm22
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
There were no WMDs. There were no substantive ties to Al Qaeda.

Actually Saddam DID have ties with Al Queda, of course they have broken off before 9/11.

Grimm22
Here's a batch of photos from an Anti-War protest in San Fran....

http://www.zombietime.com/sf_rally_september_24_2005/portrait_gallery/

Notice some of these people...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Grimm22/IMG_2300.jpg

First is this guy, what the hell is that suppossed to mean?!?! Mercinaries in New Orleans?!?!?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Grimm22/IMG_2379.jpg

Clearly an old hippie man. Just someone to laugh at laughing

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Grimm22/IMG_2438.jpg

Then there is this guy. A mother f***ing commie?!?!?! Apparently this guy didnt get the memo that communism failed 20 years ago.

These kinds of people scare me on how bias they are.

I'll try to find some scary bias conservitive pics next

~Flamboyant~
So um.....cops are dicks.

Grimm22
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
So um.....cops are dicks.

Yes all cops are "dicks" roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'll take your word for it laughing

Lumanix
Neither the time nor the place for it, Urizen. Oh no, you missed the bait.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
On the contrary, I was merely paralleling the idiocy of one of the earlier posters.

Aha, so you have presumed to degrade yourself to that level. Funny how it feels like home for you, right?

FeceMan
Aha, so you have presumed to degrade yourself to that level. Funny how it feels like home for you, right?
One should very well say the same for you, resident provocateur, though, for myself, I would hardly consider teaching--as unorthodox and unofficial as it may be--as degrading.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
One should very well say the same for you, resident provocateur, though, for myself, I would hardly consider teaching--as unorthodox and unofficial as it may be--as degrading.

OK, so where I'm sitting there's air to breathe and water to drink; that's reality. Where you are? I don't know.

FeceMan
I live in a fantasy in which stirring up strife and hypocritical behavior are looked down upon; this must differ from your reality.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I live in a fantasy in which stirring up strife and hypocritical behavior are looked down upon; this must differ from your reality.

Haha...Sure you do, sure you do. That's why your first post in this thread contributed this:

Hahaha.

Ha.

Good stuff, ShitBoy. You're slipping further and further down the hole. Tell me when you get to the bottom, so I can try to arrange for some padded walls for you.

FeceMan
Haha...Sure you do, sure you do. That's why your first post in this thread contributed this:

Good stuff, ShitBoy. You're slipping further and further down the hole. Tell me when you get to the bottom, so I can try to arrange for some padded walls for you.
I would have expected a greater degree of mental competency from someone who can read.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I would have expected a greater degree of mental competency from someone who can read.

Don't project your deficiencies on to me, young man!

FeceMan
Don't project your deficiencies on to me, young man!
I give up.

Want a Chick tract?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I give up.

Want a Chick tract?

Yes, I want one. I don't know what one is, but I definitely want one. Two. I actually want two, is that OK?

FeceMan
Yes, I want one. I don't know what one is, but I definitely want one. Two. I actually want two, is that OK?
Absolutely.

JesusIsAlive can point you in the right direction.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
OK, I don't want one now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.