How durable is Ironman's armour?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcousticDoc
It's not adamantium or vibranium I think. What kind of blows can it take before it gets destroyed?

Scoobless
It can take quite a lot.... The last time I saw one of his armour's severely damaged was when the Sentient Armour ripped apart the much older Modular Armour.

The Retro Armour (the first version of the suit that eventually became the Sentient Armour) was almost destroyed fighting Count Nefaria.... which is understandable as the guy seems to have strength and durability at a level beyond Superman type characters.

Apart from those instances I don't recall many instances where his armour has taken extremely heavy damage.... and he's fought most of the heavy hitter on Marvel Earth.

S.G
Rune King Thor hurt him a tiny bit. stick out tongue

Scoobless
Meh... that was a one off suit (two issues total) going against a Skyfather character... plus he only messed up the outer suit, the inner Iron Man suit was undamaged and Tony wanted to keep fighting until Cap talked him out of it..... which probably saved his life.

Maestro
Taking shots from Surfer and Hulk pretty much show how durable it is.

batdude123
Originally posted by Scoobless
It can take quite a lot.... The last time I saw one of his armour's severely damaged was when the Sentient Armour ripped apart the much older Modular Armour.

The Retro Armour (the first version of the suit that eventually became the Sentient Armour) was almost destroyed fighting Count Nefaria.... which is understandable as the guy seems to have strength and durability at a level beyond Superman type characters.

Apart from those instances I don't recall many instances where his armour has taken extremely heavy damage.... and he's fought most of the heavy hitter on Marvel Earth.

Count Nefaria stronger than Superman? eer

Scoobless
Originally posted by batdude123
Count Nefaria stronger than Superman? eer

Quite possibly

smile

Darth Vegas
Originally posted by Maestro
Taking shots from Surfer and Hulk pretty much show how durable it is.

Indeed.

Deathstroke
I think I read in an older issue one time that his armor was about on par with low grade adamantium.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Deathstroke
I think I read in an older issue one time that his armor was about on par with low grade adamantium.

That may have been the S.K.I.N. armour.... it had a prototype metallic alloy covering that was supposedly only a short step down from adamantium

http://www.ironmanarmory.com/skinarmor.html

"To his basic erector set of helmet, chestplate, gauntlets, and body suit, Stark added a full body armor crafted from the revolutionary substance. Capable of shape-shifting into a nearly adamantium-hard shell, SKIN withstands lasers without a scratch and is strong enough to shatter omnium steel bars without a dent."

The company that created SKIN was destroyed a few issues later... which is why he no longer uses it

Deathstroke
That's probably where I got it from.

galan7777777
Originally posted by AcousticDoc
It's not adamantium or vibranium I think. What kind of blows can it take before it gets destroyed? i guess it would depend on what version of armor we are talking about

willRules
Don't forget all his forcefields as well smile

Sam Z
Another question: what's more durable ironman's armor or colossus' organic steel?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Sam Z
Another question: what's more durable ironman's armor or colossus' organic steel?

Yes

stick out tongue

batdude123
Quite possibly

smile

What the f**k?

The day Count Nefaria moves an entire solar system, is the day I would consider the two to be equal in strength. no expression And Count Nefaria hasn't done that yet...

Scoobless
Why would he want to?

batdude123
Why would he want to?

hmm

AcousticDoc

Colossus' rganic steel. I remember some scans posted here of wolverine slashing at his skin with no effect.

Grimm22
Are we talking his armor with sheilds or without counting sheilds? confused

Metalmanx
I'd go with Colossus on that one, too. Really. But not by leagues.

Tha C-Master
I dunno, Iron Man has done some pretty impressive stuff. Which Armor are you talking about?

Scoobless
If you include his shields in his armour's durability then he can take more than Colossus

Grimm22

Without sheilds Collossus.

Heck IM's armor isnt even made out of Vibranium

AcousticDoc
Originally posted by Grimm22
Without sheilds Collossus.

Heck IM's armor isnt even made out of Vibranium

Why doesn't Ironman use adamantium or vibranium for his armours? Surely he is rich enough to afford some. And his working relationship with Black Panther will make getting vibranium easy as well. Why does he not use it!?

Scoobless
It would possibly mess with the power sources inside the armour

AcousticDoc
It would possibly mess with the power sources inside the armour

How come? Ultron seemed to be fine when he had that adamantium body.

DarkCrawler
Another question: what's more durable ironman's armor or colossus' organic steel? Colossus, IMO.

manjaro
well IM durability has stepped up since he started utilizing the "recharge from the environment, and other ppl's energy blasts, and kinetic energy" feature...he usually has the absorption sequence running in the background...IDK...like some kind of spyware removerbig grin and it helps to take the sting off some of the more massive attacks, that along with the durability of the flexi metal, and his deflector shields makes him really bad ass, but its just that at the end of the day he's just human, even if the armor stands the test his own body would give out....

thats why i often fantasize that an enhanced character like, Cap, Bishop, blade, or wolverine would be utterly invincible even in one of his earlier armors...but my fave armor would have to be the prometheon..sure it was short lived but i have yet to see another thats more fear inspiring

Scoobless

I meant Vibranium

Scoobless
Originally posted by manjaro
but its just that at the end of the day he's just human, even if the armor stands the test his own body would give out....

thats why i often fantasize that an enhanced character like, Cap, Bishop, blade, or wolverine would be utterly invincible even in one of his earlier armors...

Actually these days (due to Extremis) Stark has a healing factor that grows back entire organs and a mental enhancement that makes the old Tony Stark look like he has learning difficulties

manjaro
yeah but that doesnt make him more robust that just means he's a regualr guy, with hieghtened brain activity who can heal fast

Scoobless
Like Deadpool... except for the brain part

Darth Vegas
The reason why Tony doesn't make a suit out of pure adamantium is because not only is it extremely expensive, but it is also a very dense metal, thus very heavy.

The amount of energy required to power a suit made of pure adamantium would be extremely high, not only just for movement, but for flying as well. His armor would probably run out of energy very quickly while operating the most basic of tasks.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Darth Vegas
The reason why Tony doesn't make a suit out of pure adamantium is because not only is it extremely expensive, but it is also a very dense metal, thus very heavy.

The amount of energy required to power a suit made of pure adamantium would be extremely high, not only just for movement, but for flying as well. His armor would probably run out of energy very quickly while operating the most basic of tasks.

Still.... he could have a very thin coating of adamantium around the helmet and torso areas for extra protection

inamilist
It has to be admitted that, like most things, there are high and low showings for the durability of IM's armor

taking hulk and surfer level punches in impressive, but even in the extremis arc, tony has his armor damaged severly by someone who is really not in their league.

is Vibranium compleatly indistructable?

inamilist

he also needed a molecular recombinator to move all the individual atoms in his body when he went to move

in a suit of armor there are places that need to have some give and flexability, a indestructable metal isnt so good for that

thin layer might work... and considering what the thin layer on wolverine's bones has done, im sure it would be very effective

manjaro
well for all intents and purposes it is completely indestructible...its actually barely a notch below adamantium as adamantium IS Vibranium with a few additves... since Ada can only be molded and manipulated in liquid metal form a slight coating on the exterior of all the armor's surface would work wonders

R.O.T. Yahman

I think Nefaria once threw an Oil Tanker at him, and he still survived. smile

R.O.T. Yahman
Quite possibly

smile

Highly Unlikely, Nefaria has shown lifting limits to his strength that put him considerably below Superman, although he has some ambigous combat feats that put him above. Id say he's above Thor, maybe on a Sentry level of strength. I.e. presumably in the same category as Supes, but yet to really prove it.

R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Metalmanx
I'd go with Colossus on that one, too.
Well thats, suprising roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

AcousticDoc
Originally posted by Darth Vegas

Ah I see. But what about a thin adamantium coating like Wolverine's skeleton as others here have mentioned? People like punisher and daredevil have been able to life wolverine up before so a thin coating can't make tony's armour too heavy.

Scoobless
Well... I think Wolverine weighs around 300lbs.... given his build i'd think he should weigh about 200lbs at the most..... so it seems adamantium is pretty heavy but nothing that the Iron Man armour couldn't handle easily enough.

Ok... Look what I found in a handbook, Apparently he weighs 195lbs without adamantium and 300lbs with it:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3451/ohotmuwolverine2004broomhandlemauserdcp11oa4.th.jpg

That should give a basic idea of how much it might weigh if coated over IM's armour..... probably wouldn't make much difference at all.... it's just much harder to work with

AcousticDoc
Well he doesn't have to coat the entire body (it would probably be impossible to move if he coated the joint sections). But coating on his chest plate, helmet, leg guards and gauntlets would give him insane durability.

ed252
I'd say one of the few things that can truly damage Ironman's armor (besides repeated Hulk-level punches) are sophisticated adamantium weapons. I recall a pretty cool comic book (Marvel fanfare #22), where Doctor Octopus uses adamantium tentacles to literally tear the armor to pieces.

Battlehammer
Well... I think Wolverine weighs around 300lbs.... given his build i'd think he should weigh about 200lbs at the most..... so it seems adamantium is pretty heavy but nothing that the Iron Man armour couldn't handle easily enough.

Ok... Look what I found in a handbook, Apparently he weighs 195lbs without adamantium and 300lbs with it:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3451/ohotmuwolverine2004broomhandlemauserdcp11oa4.th.jpg

That should give a basic idea of how much it might weigh if coated over IM's armour..... probably wouldn't make much difference at all.... it's just much harder to work with
Thats correct, it was stated on pannel as such.

However thats adamantium beta, which is not the same as normal adamatium.

The reason some one like stark does not uses adamatium is due to the fact no one really knows how to create it out side the much cheaper and far less durable 2ndry adamatium.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Originally posted by Metalmanx
I'd go with Colossus on that one, too.
Well thats, suprising roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

This was four years ago .... God !

I own Badabing!
I own Badabing! smile.... again!

Galan007
Originally posted by I own Badabing!
I own Badabing! smile.... again! http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e271/saughtvol/Irony.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Great sig. Star Wars Legacy rules.

Galan007
Ty. smile

...And yeah, Legacy was quite good (except for that whiny douche Cade.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.