Does being considered 'popular' on the internet....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~Da Moose~
......actually make you feel good about yourself?

I've been reading back over many posts and threads, and I see some people who seem to thrive on being 'cool' or 'popular'. I admit, it's nice to have praise given to you to a certain extent, but I mean, in all seriousness, do people actually think that being, and I quote, 'popular' on an internet message board means anything??

The more that I think about it, the more I begin to see these people as being kind of sad, and slightly pathetic. The fact is, if you have to achieve popularity on the internet, and you thrive on it, how can you even return to REAL life with any enthusiasm?

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and all of this is really starting to be put into perspective for me, but, honestly, is it NOT just a little pathetic for these people to think being 'popular' really matters on a message board? confused

Bloigen
I can't reply. I'm too cool. erm

The Pict
It depends who you are popular with I suppose.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by The Pict
It depends who you are popular with I suppose.

But even still, honestly , what difference does it make? You can't translate that into real life.

The Pict
Originally posted by ~Da Moose~
But even still, honestly , what difference does it make? You can't translate that into real life.

But I mean if you are popular with people you might meet them, or speak with them over MSN. Being popular with people on here could build friendships, but sure for the majority of posters, though, it doesn't really matter.

clap
I try my best to be popular, but I think I might rub people wrong or something.

lord xyz
Too be honest, nah. Popularity with people you've never even met might be a good way to boost your confidence, (I mean, it boosts mine) but seriously, if you can only get popular with teenagers from another continent, school/work/pub might help.

Strangelove
Being popular in the forum would be cool, but I value getting along with my friends in real life a better goal.

~Da Moose~
But I mean if you are popular with people you might meet them, or speak with them over MSN. Being popular with people on here could build friendships, but sure for the majority of posters, though, it doesn't really matter.

In all liklihood though, how many will meet? 1%? 2%? And regardless, if you base your self worth, as many seem to do, on their internet personna and popularity, then how can they possibly live up to that in the real world? How many of us are who we are here, and out 'there'? Not many I suspect.
I DO understand your point though, and maybe for some, it helps with self esteem, but, in my opinion, a lot of people are hiding behind their screens because they can't cope in real life.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by lord xyz
Too be honest, nah. Popularity with people you've never even met might be a good way to boost your confidence, (I mean, it boosts mine) but seriously, if you can only get popular with teenagers from another continent, school/work/pub might help.

Isn't that a false boost though?

The Pict

I DO understand your point though, and maybe for some, it helps with self esteem, but, in my opinion, a lot of people are hiding behind their screens because they can't cope in real life.

Maybe but thats assuming people use the Internet to reinvent themselves into someone popular using the Internet. I assume that most people here use these forums as entertainment.
However i do agree that if someone is deemed popular that it would help their self esteem, but I think it would be more to do with having friends here rather than random people saying "you are so cool"

lord xyz
Isn't that a false boost though? Not really, being popular means you're not completely socially retarded.

Soleran
Being "cool" on the internet just isn't cool for me. However there are alot of folks that make this their "reality." I'm fine with that as long as they don't waste their life doing it.

I can be a good way to vent and certainly allow for alot of different views to be seen from alot of different perspecitves world wide (which I do think is pretty cool.)

This sure does beat my commodore 64 and 2400baud modem and bbs! Omg I just dated myself!

~Da Moose~
Maybe but thats assuming people use the Internet to reinvent themselves into someone popular using the Internet. I assume that most people here use these forums as entertainment.
However i do agree that if someone is deemed popular that it would help their self esteem, but I think it would be more to do with having friends here rather than random people saying "you are so cool"

I think a lot of people DO reinvent themselves on the net though. Even slightly.

But, having to rely on someone from Austrailia, or Spain to think you are cool, or popular...is really sad.

Lana
Not really, being popular means you're not completely socially retarded.

Not necessarily; people can be socially retarded yet popular because they're ass-kissers or trendwhores.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Soleran
Being "cool" on the internet just isn't cool for me. However there are alot of folks that make this their "reality." I'm fine with that as long as they don't waste their life doing it.

I can be a good way to vent and certainly allow for alot of different views to be seen from alot of different perspecitves world wide (which I do think is pretty cool.)

This sure does beat my commodore 64 and 2400baud modem and bbs! Omg I just dated myself!

But I see a lot of them doing that. Wasting their lives, on here, ALL the time, hitting their 'peak' of popularity. It's scary, actually, that someone would THINK that way.

HAHAHAHA...I too had a Commodore 64....God....soooooooooo long ago.

~Da Moose~
Not really, being popular means you're not completely socially retarded.

But come on.....on a MESSAGE BOARD? It's not even a viable social setting in my opinion, because, once again, it's not a very intimate setting.

ThePittman

clap

lord xyz
Originally posted by Lana
Not necessarily; people can be socially retarded yet popular because they're ass-kissers or trendwhores. Good point, still I'm not a kiss-up or a trend-whore, then again, kiss-ups and trend-whores aren't really that popular anymore, they're usually shunned nower days because people don't like to be copied or unecessarily praised by people they don't hang-out with.

But come on.....on a MESSAGE BOARD? It's not even a viable social setting in my opinion, because, once again, it's not a very intimate setting. erm Well, that's just your oppinion.

I think a lot of people DO reinvent themselves on the net though. Even slightly.

But, having to rely on someone from Austrailia, or Spain to think you are cool, or popular...is really sad. Agreed.

Lana

ThePittman
Originally posted by clap
I heard the pizzas you used to make were considered the most artistic of all the area Huts. OK, you finally got me to laugh, that was good. laughing

Ronny

I've been reading back over many posts and threads, and I see some people who seem to thrive on being 'cool' or 'popular'. I admit, it's nice to have praise given to you to a certain extent, but I mean, in all seriousness, do people actually think that being, and I quote, 'popular' on an internet message board means anything??

The more that I think about it, the more I begin to see these people as being kind of sad, and slightly pathetic. The fact is, if you have to achieve popularity on the internet, and you thrive on it, how can you even return to REAL life with any enthusiasm?

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and all of this is really starting to be put into perspective for me, but, honestly, is it NOT just a little pathetic for these people to think being 'popular' really matters on a message board? confused Not popular, just liked. Cause message board or not the people posting on here are still real people, and it makes me feel good to entertain them with my crazy antics. happy

Syren
I love the attention, I enjoy being 'known'. But not in a way which boosts my confidence or even has any real bearing once I log out and switch my computer off. I'm as outgoing (if not more so because of the genuine surroundings) in 'real life' as I am here, I'm comfortable with my friends and family and I'm confident in myself. My online persona is as close to my real attitude as I could make it, I don't see why it should be any different, to be honest. I don't think I hide behind anything, I'd like to think the people who know me here know me for who I am and what I stand for.

~Da Moose~
Do you really think that people who are popular in real life really know 99% of the people they talk to? I wouldn't call that intimate in any sense at all.

I'm not sure of the relevance of that statement to this. I'm not debating whether people in real life know 99% of who they are talking to or not. I'm remarking on how sad I find it that people think it's cool to be 'popular' on the internet.

Lana
I'm not sure of the relevance of that statement to this. I'm not debating whether people in real life know 99% of who they are talking to or not. I'm remarking on how sad I find it that people think it's cool to be 'popular' on the internet.

It's relevant because you said that a message board is not any sort of intimate setting. And I say it's simply no different than the fact that someone who's popular in real life chances are does not know 99% of the people who think they're popular.

Me, I couldn't care less about being popular - online OR off. I certainly am not going to try to be.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Ronny
Not popular, just liked. Cause message board or not the people posting on here are still real people, and it makes me feel good to entertain them with my crazy antics. happy

Being liked, sure, who doesn't enjoy that?

But, some people, and we've all seen them, think that being popular on a message board is in some way...a redeeming quality or aspect, when, in reality, both literal and figurative, it's just plain sad.

Syren
She means a widespread popularity (as in a shitload of people knowing who you are, by name and face) and is comparing that to the 'popularity' people strive for online. Neither of which could be considered intimate.

~Da Moose~
It's relevant because you said that a message board is not any sort of intimate setting. And I say it's simply no different than the fact that someone who's popular in real life chances are does not know 99% of the people who think they're popular.

Me, I couldn't care less about being popular - online OR off. I certainly am not going to try to be.

To me, the difference is, the person who is popular in real life, at least gained that popularity in real life, not sitting behind a screen. And also, talking to someone on MSN or a message board, is not NEARLY the same as speaking to someone face to face.

I agree with you. Once upon a time, I thought being popular, regardless of the setting, what all that mattered....not so much anymore.

lord xyz
Hah, maybe in the UK, not here in the US though. Thank god for the Atlantic ocean. ermm

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Syren
She means a widespread popularity (as in a shitload of people knowing who you are, by name and face) and is comparing that to the 'popularity' people strive for online. Neither of which could be considered intimate.

Well hell, that's opening it up a whole different can of worms. Actors are popular, as are singers etc. I'm speaking about the average Joe/Jane.

Ronny

But, some people, and we've all seen them, think that being popular on a message board is in some way...a redeeming quality or aspect, when, in reality, both literal and figurative, it's just plain sad. I dont think is any more stupid then wanting to be popular in real life erm I mean as I said they're real people and just because were all not going to fly to Oklahoma or London or Eygpt to visit these people face to face doesnt mean... wait.. I forgot where I was going with this... Right, doesnt mean we dont enjoy their company. But I wouldnt go out of my way to get everyones attention on here. thats just me.

Honestly the internet thing works really well for me because in real life I'm unblelivably shy.

lord xyz

But, some people, and we've all seen them, think that being popular on a message board is in some way...a redeeming quality or aspect, when, in reality, both literal and figurative, it's just plain sad. Names start popping into head.

~Da Moose~
I dont think is any more stupid then wanting to be popular in real life erm I mean as I said they're real people and just because were all not going to fly to Oklahoma or London or Eygpt to visit these people face to face doesnt mean... wait.. I forgot where I was going with this... Right, doesnt mean we dont enjoy their company. But I wouldnt go out of my way to get everyones attention on here. thats just me.

Honestly the internet thing works really well for me because in real life I'm unblelivably shy.

Ronny....listen. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you can't form friendships online or meet people....what I am questioning, is whether or not it's kinda sad for some people to take their online 'popularity' to heart. I mean, who really cares? Certainly not the majority of us.

And I'm glad it works for you, but you are not one of the people I am referring to.

Ronny
Ronny....listen. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you can't form friendships online or meet people....what I am questioning, is whether or not it's kinda sad for some people to take their online 'popularity' to heart. I mean, who really cares? Certainly not the majority of us.

And I'm glad it works for you, but you are not one of the people I am referring to. OH popularity... yea thats kinda dumb

whos you refering to?

~Da Moose~
OH popularity... yea thats kinda dumb

whos you refering to?

Popularity anywhere, is overrated. But especially on the internet.

I'm not naming names or anything. Just draw a composite sketch of the typical person on a message board who takes their popularity too seriously.

Ronny
Are you talking about Jeff?

~Da Moose~
Are you talking about Jeff?

Probably not. I don't know who Jeff is.

~Da Rev~
And now enters ~Da Moose~'s "Holier than thou" status.

Ronny
Vinny

~Da Moose~
Vinny

His name is Jeff?

~Da Rev~
His name is Jeff? i believe its neil....or jacob.

Lana
To me, the difference is, the person who is popular in real life, at least gained that popularity in real life, not sitting behind a screen. And also, talking to someone on MSN or a message board, is not NEARLY the same as speaking to someone face to face.

I agree with you. Once upon a time, I thought being popular, regardless of the setting, what all that mattered....not so much anymore.

I never have.

Well hell, that's opening it up a whole different can of worms. Actors are popular, as are singers etc. I'm speaking about the average Joe/Jane.

And so am I. Someone who is popular, regardless of who they are, are not going to know most of the people who know them.

Names start popping into head.

Ditto on that. And of course there the ones that if you say anything that's not glowing praise about them, you'll have half the OTF down your throats. It's pitiful.

And Neera, I'd never in a billion years believe you to be shy.

Ronny
No is Neil. his cousin is Jeff.. or will... or something.. i think its jeff

Ronny

And Neera, I'd never in a billion years believe you to be shy. Not on the internet but in real life I am.. when did i say i was shy?

Lana
Not on the internet but in real life I am.. when did i say i was shy?

About 10 posts back in this thread? stick out tongue

See, I'd never believe you're shy in real life because of how you are on here.

Ronny
About 10 posts back in this thread? stick out tongue

See, I'd never believe you're shy in real life because of how you are on here. Oh right.. haha

Well jesus, its easy to be strange on internet

Deano
some people try too hard on here. i will hunt you down and throttle you

lord xyz
Ditto on that. And of course there the ones that if you say anything that's not glowing praise about them, you'll have half the OTF down your throats. It's pitiful. Exact same names popped into head.

~Da Moose~

Ditto on that. And of course there the ones that if you say anything that's not glowing praise about them, you'll have half the OTF down your throats. It's pitiful.

I appreciate you all giving me your opinions and I also appreciate those who are debating it with me and even arguing, because, I would never want to be one of those people who you just referred to Lana.

And do you see? You say it's pitiful, but these people who are being defended actually BELIEVE this pitiful bullshit.....

§P0oONY

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and all of this is really starting to be put into perspective for me, but, honestly, is it NOT just a little pathetic for these people to think being 'popular' really matters on a message board? confused

I'm not popular on any message board and if I was I'd hardly feel good, quite the opposite, I'd feel dirty knowing that a bunch of no-life losers idolise me in some way.

Syren
You still love me though, right? confused

silver_tears

Lana
I appreciate you all giving me your opinions and I also appreciate those who are debating it with me and even arguing, because, I would never want to be one of those people who you just referred to Lana.

And do you see? You say it's pitiful, but these people who are being defended actually BELIEVE this pitiful bullshit.....

Meh, I find popularity pitiful altogether.

Syren

Good, because I think you suck mhm

Lana
Good, because I think you suck mhm

And you're a b!tch happy

Syren
And you're a b!tch happy

A popular b!tch, details missy stick out tongue

~Da Moose~

Lana
A popular b!tch, details missy stick out tongue

Pffft mhm

~Da Moose~

Popularity will exist regardless, but I find it to be overrated as well. Being liked, yes, I always want that...but being thrust upon a pedestal...well, really, who deems that anyone should be anymore special than someone else?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by silver_tears
Lies, you'd love it.

Only on a Wednesday... no expression

It's not just the idolization, if that was the case, it's how much to heart some people take it, like it really matters.

That's sort of what being popular is though, being idolised... Dirty I tell you... DIRTY.

ThePittman

Soleran
It's not just the idolization, if that was the case, it's how much to heart some people take it, like it really matters.

You don't even know what you're talking about here! Unless you know the movie this next line comes from.

"You're not cool unless you pee your pants"

then several more lines and an old lady chimes in

"if pee'ing your pants is cool I must be Miles Davis."

Sanctuary
Doesn't matter to me anyways. dancing

~Da Moose~
You don't even know what you're talking about here! Unless you know the movie this next line comes from.

"You're not cool unless you pee your pants"

then several more lines and an old lady chimes in

"if pee'ing your pants is cool I must be Miles Davis."

You got me, I'm clueless.

clap
Y'all can be cool. I'm hot.

Soleran
You got me, I'm clueless.

I'm sure it was on the tip of your tongue anyway, Bill Madison.

Ok now back to topic in the OTF, popularity on the web has not stength or bonds so the relationships that would make one popular fade quickly.

In short it's better to join a book reading club or chess club then be "cool" on the internet.

~Da Moose~
I'm sure it was on the tip of your tongue anyway, Bill Madison.

Ok now back to topic in the OTF, popularity on the web has not stength or bonds so the relationships that would make one popular fade quickly.

In short it's better to join a book reading club or chess club then be "cool" on the internet.

Hahaha....ah, well, see? I'd never have gotten that one.

Maybe you're right. Internet popularity gives some people a false sense of accomplishment.

Soleran
I wouldn't even say it's false really. It is an accomplishment but it's just not really a measurable one by which as you get older you can "grow" with or add substantial value to other people you care about around you it's very limited in the value it holds for "real" life.

Ok enough with my soapbox, you're much better at keeping the thread moving and fun loving anywaysmile

~Da Moose~
I wouldn't even say it's false really. It is an accomplishment but it's just not really a measurable one by which as you get older you can "grow" with or add substantial value to other people you care about around you it's very limited in the value it holds for "real" life.

Ok enough with my soapbox, you're much better at keeping the thread moving and fun loving anywaysmile

That is an excellent, excellent point. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I AM much better at keeping the thread moving and fun loving!!!! wink stick out tongue

No, seriously, you are so absolutely correct...in your assessment. Good show, old man.

Quincy
a lot of people here would probably say "Pfft no being popular on the internet is stupid. I don't think anything of it" But I think they are lying. Alot of people here on kmc strive to be popular with everyone. Which is a pretty strange thing considering this is over the internet. But you can tell with some of the threads here, people will go out of their way for it.

Mr. Sandman
But I see a lot of them doing that. Wasting their lives, on here, ALL the time, hitting their 'peak' of popularity. It's scary, actually, that someone would THINK that way.

I saw that exact phrase around recently, and whether you were referencing them or not, I laughed. I actually agree, to seek popularity online is futile. Once someone turns off their computer, they don't care anymore, and neither should you.

BlackSunshine
being "popular" with people over the internet isnt something to be proud of...its kind of sad really.

Vinny Valentine
Okay, Time to say what I have to say:

First of All, Jeff Is My cousin who came onto my MSN and KMC one night.

Also, I think Moose is the one taking everything so serious here, I think for one he's being Hypocritical and also I think a bit of this has to do with people like me who like to **** around on a forum an such. I do have a life thank you very much, and I go out with my friends alot. But the fact stands that Popularity IS Popularity, no matter were, weather it be on the Internet or off line. If Someone likes me from Russia, I seriously don't care, it just doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm going to meet half the people on here anyway. But, I'd also rather be someone who can have a good time on a forum instead of one who gets made fun of for making Threads that don't take more then 1 thought (Everyones Made one at some point in time, don't tell me I have too) Anyway, Its all popularity, even if a bunch of people on the Internet like you then they still like you, or at least how you act or such. To go out and say its Fake is a bunch off Bullshit that isn't true. But, I voted number two on there. I don't like the fact that people know me, I like the things I do with people and interacting with people. I like the messages that people come up with weather it be a joke, something serious or someone pretending they are in a Porno Coffee Shop play HaloBoner 2. Anyway, I just think thi s is a bit of a topic that came up because I said "I'm at my peak on KMC" Which, I explained in another thread how it is possible to be "at your peak" on or off the Internet.

Thats just my thoughts.

EDIT : Anyone who is overly proud from being popular over the internet is Pathetic though, whats to be proud about? Maybe happy you make others laugh or what not but still, Proud? Seriously.

EDIT 2: Also Moose, I'm not on here everyday trying to get to me "peak" So **** off with things you don't know about, you aren't here everyday. I come on after school, and then usually late at night when nothings. I say that because your earlier post was moreless directed towards me.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Okay, Time to say what I have to say:

First of All, Jeff Is My cousin who came onto my MSN and KMC one night.

Also, I think Moose is the one taking everything so serious here, I think for one he's being Hypocritical and also I think a bit of this has to do with people like me who like to **** around on a forum an such. I do have a life thank you very much, and I go out with my friends alot. But the fact stands that Popularity IS Popularity, no matter were, weather it be on the Internet or off line. If Someone likes me from Russia, I seriously don't care, it just doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm going to meet half the people on here anyway. But, I'd also rather be someone who can have a good time on a forum instead of one who gets made fun of for making Threads that don't take more then 1 thought (Everyones Made one at some point in time, don't tell me I have too) Anyway, Its all popularity, even if a bunch of people on the Internet like you then they still like you, or at least how you act or such. To go out and say its Fake is a bunch off Bullshit that isn't true. But, I voted number two on there. I don't like the fact that people know me, I like the things I do with people and interacting with people. I like the messages that people come up with weather it be a joke, something serious or someone pretending they are in a Porno Coffee Shop play HaloBoner 2. Anyway, I just think thi s is a bit of a topic that came up because I said "I'm at my peak on KMC" Which, I explained in another thread how it is possible to be "at your peak" on or off the Internet.

Thats just my thoughts.

EDIT : Anyone who is overly proud from being popular over the internet is Pathetic though, whats to be proud about? Maybe happy you make others laugh or what not but still, Proud? Seriously.

EDIT 2: Also Moose, I'm not on here everyday trying to get to me "peak" So **** off with things you don't know about, you aren't here everyday. I come on after school, and then usually late at night when nothings. I say that because your earlier post was moreless directed towards me.

I never said it was you. no expression Why would you assume that? Not once did I say this was about you. There are other people on this message board who think they are popular.

~Da Rev~
*raises hand*

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
*raises hand*

Oh FFS dude, shut up. roll eyes (sarcastic) WE know about you. I wasn't referring to YOU either.

~Da Rev~
Well, doesn't really make much difference anymore. I've got the gun all ready.......wont be long now.......cry

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Well, doesn't really make much difference anymore. I've got the gun all ready.......wont be long now.......cry

Do you have bullets?

Vinny Valentine
I never said it was you. no expression Why would you assume that? Not once did I say this was about you. There are other people on this message board who think they are popular.

Implied.

Lana

Gotta love people who are so vain that they assume everything's about them roll eyes (sarcastic)

~Da Rev~
Do you have bullets? ...........damnit

The Pict
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
being "popular" with people over the internet isnt something to be proud of...its kind of sad really.

I don't think its sad, If they change their whole attitude and personality for people to like them then it is sad sure. But if someone becomes popular just by being fun and interacting, albeit over the internet, then who are we to judge them?

Vinny Valentine
Gotta love people who are so vain that they assume everything's about them roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thanks for that Lana, I didn't say it was all about me, I even said it was about other people in the forum. I told him this only came up when I made my "peak" comment, and also I replied to him when he made his little comment saying "People who think they're at there peak on this forum " Which was directed to me.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Implied.

No, actually it wasn't, which tells me that you even think so yourself. Paranoia is a dead giveaway.

Syren
Oh, leave it alone roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.