God, Traits of

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
God, if you believe in a God. What are some of his traits. Please be thoughtful in your posts. You can't claim that he is just and then say he shows absolute mercy, and other such conflicts.

Here are a few that I believe are traits of God:

Just - I believe God is just.
Merciful - I believe God is merciful, but his mercy will not rob justice.
Loving - I believe God is loving, but once again justice won't be robbed.

debbiejo
God is the creative force and creates all emotions. It is the creator is it not?

Alliance
Bond....James Bond.

Regret
Originally posted by debbiejo
God is the creative force and creates all emotions. It is the creator is it not?

Emotions are not created, they are our interpretation of sensory input combined with internal physiological state. Give this, God created the mechanism of emotional interpretation, not necessarily the emotion. They, are not traits, they are responses.

Alliance
Then if god created them...are they bad?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Alliance
Bond....James Bond.

lol

Ahem...I mean.

Sorry regret, but I am a little sceptical about the mercy part. Justice and revenge are not one of the same. If God doeas ''eye or an eye'', then that is vengeful, not just.

Just an observation.

Why does God care if we worship him or not? Is god loving, or conditional loving (ie for only those who worship/believe)

Belegūr
Traits of "God"?

If anything, I'd say "God's" most frequent trait is his constant change of mood....One day, He seems to be merciful, forgiving all of their sins, and the next day....well, look at Sodom and Gemorra....

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
lol

Ahem...I mean.

Sorry regret, but I am a little sceptical about the mercy part. Justice and revenge are not one of the same. If God doeas ''eye or an eye'', then that is vengeful, not just.

Just an observation.

Why does God care if we worship him or not? Is god loving, or conditional loving (ie for only those who worship/believe)

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

As Intelligent as Regret is, that is what he doesn't seem to comprehend. Mercy and Revenge cannot co exist within Justice. "God's wrath" is an aspect of his justice, as well as "God's Mercy". Logically, you cannot have it both ways.

If you are perfect, then you cannot possess such a contradiction. You are either merciful, or you are not. There's no being "merciful, but with justice" Sending someone to Hell is not mercy.

As for God caring whether we worship him or not...that brings another question. How can a mature force be that superficial ? How can an intelligent and logical being expect you to beleive in him when there is no proof of his existance, and constant contradiction and mystery clouding the possibility of his existance?

And one last thing....as for his "unconditional love"...that's non existant if Hell exists. The Bible clearly states that Hell is a place of eternal torment, so Regret, please stop trying to argue that Hell is simply the absense of God, because it also includes the presense of Satan and eternal suffering.

Unconditional means "no conditions...no exceptions" People going to Hell is a MAJOR exception, and worshipping God is a MAJOR CONDITION.

Belegūr
I agree....I believe.

Clearly "God" isn't "all merciful," and he does not give "unconditional love"....commit a few sins, and its straight to Hell with you....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
God, if you believe in a God. What are some of his traits. Please be thoughtful in your posts. You can't claim that he is just and then say he shows absolute mercy, and other such conflicts.

Here are a few that I believe are traits of God:

Just - I believe God is just.
Merciful - I believe God is merciful, but his mercy will not rob justice.
Loving - I believe God is loving, but once again justice won't be robbed.

Everything is part of God, therefore, all traits are part of God. But of course, you knew I would say that. wink

Alliance
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
lol

Ahem...I mean.

It seems to me that when people talk about "justice" they are often talking about vengance...they want people in prison, killed, to suffer...

Quiero Mota
When it comes to people, I think God has favorites.

Regret
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

As Intelligent as Regret is, that is what he doesn't seem to comprehend. Mercy and Revenge cannot co exist within Justice. "God's wrath" is an aspect of his justice, as well as "God's Mercy". Logically, you cannot have it both ways.

If you are perfect, then you cannot possess such a contradiction. You are either merciful, or you are not. There's no being "merciful, but with justice" Sending someone to Hell is not mercy.

As for God caring whether we worship him or not...that brings another question. How can a mature force be that superficial ? How can an intelligent and logical being expect you to beleive in him when there is no proof of his existance, and constant contradiction and mystery clouding the possibility of his existance?

And one last thing....as for his "unconditional love"...that's non existant if Hell exists. The Bible clearly states that Hell is a place of eternal torment, so Regret, please stop trying to argue that Hell is simply the absense of God, because it also includes the presense of Satan and eternal suffering.

Unconditional means "no conditions...no exceptions" People going to Hell is a MAJOR exception, and worshipping God is a MAJOR CONDITION.

Unconditional and other absolutes are used in error, or their use is taken in error. They are often taken/used without considering the entire picture. I believe he has unconditional love. The problem is that he cannot allow this love to always manifest, it would deny justice. It has been stated "revenge", I do not believe in this to be the case. There is cause and effect. The effect must occur, and you typically don't like the idea that seemingly insignificant acts may have a larger more encompassing effect, but I believe it is possible. Now, there are means by which we may allow another to suffer the consequence of improper acts, Christians believe that the sacrifice of a perfect innocent was an event that allowed for such to occur. Love and mercy cannot stop the effects, the effect must occur, this is justice. I am not speaking of some decision as to who may or who may not be punished etc. I am speaking of who has placed themselves under the umbrella protection Christ offered to shield us from the effects of improper action. It isn't a judgement per say, it is a state where our position decides the degree of the return effect of our actions has upon us.

Urizen tends to take love and ignore the other aspects. Life is a balance, it is not a place where actions do not have repercussions. God patterned life after his existence, what else was there to pattern it after? Given this, for every action there is some reaction, and it must be a type to God's existence. There are problems that can arise from seemingly "good" actions.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Regret
Unconditional and other absolutes are used in error, or their use is taken in error. They are often taken/used without considering the entire picture. I believe he has unconditional love. The problem is that he cannot allow this love to always manifest, it would deny justice. It has been stated "revenge", I do not believe in this to be the case. There is cause and effect. The effect must occur, and you typically don't like the idea that seemingly insignificant acts may have a larger more encompassing effect, but I believe it is possible. Now, there are means by which we may allow another to suffer the consequence of improper acts, Christians believe that the sacrifice of a perfect innocent was an event that allowed for such to occur. Love and mercy cannot stop the effects, the effect must occur, this is justice. I am not speaking of some decision as to who may or who may not be punished etc. I am speaking of who has placed themselves under the umbrella protection Christ offered to shield us from the effects of improper action. It isn't a judgement per say, it is a state where our position decides the degree of the return effect of our actions has upon us.

Urizen tends to take love and ignore the other aspects. Life is a balance, it is not a place where actions do not have repercussions. God patterned life after his existence, what else was there to pattern it after? Given this, for every action there is some reaction, and it must be a type to God's existence. There are problems that can arise from seemingly "good" actions.

1) I do beleive you can have unconditional love for someone and still do them harm or do something to them that is harsh...however, that is a human flaw. If God is perfect, then he does not possess that flaw. His love is either perfect, or not. If his "unconditional love" has conditions, then he is imperfect. You can't have it both ways.

2) God's existance is supposedly one of perfection, while life is imperfect. If Life is truly patterned after God's self design, then God, like life, is again imperfect and flawed.

3) Cause and Effect have nothing to do with Justice. Justice is WILLINGLY administed by someone, for a bias reason (whether that bias be fair or unfair is irrelevant), Cause and Effect happen on thier own, and often "bad" actions go unpunished, and "good" actions go unrewarded. God sending people to Hell is not "cause and effect" it is vengeance. It is "God's Wrath" as the Bible clearly states. Please stop denying if if you truly base your idealogies on the Bible.

4) Sending people to Hell IS JUDGEMENT as it says in the Bible that this occurs on "JUDGEMENT DAY"...it is God's judgement, and therefore HIS idea of justice, not cause and effect. Again....unconditional love is ever forgiving, and always aims to unify, not punish. If God punishes, then his love is conditional...or at the very least, he is imperfect.

Again, you cannot gave a PERFECT GOD who has unconditional love, wrath, and sends people to Hell at the same time. It is a major self contradiction, and can only occur in Flawed forces, not in a perfect entity.

5) Life is Balance, but if God is perfect, then God himself needs no balance. Also, if Life truly is Balance, then Good and Evil must exist, and then God punishes for no reason. Regret, again you contradict yourself despite the intelligence that goes into your argument. Please address these contradictions, and don't dance your way around the issues.

Regret
1) I do beleive you can have unconditional love for someone and still do them harm or do something to them that is harsh...however, that is a human flaw. If God is perfect, then he does not possess that flaw. His love is either perfect, or not. If his "unconditional love" has conditions, then he is imperfect. You can't have it both ways.

You use the term conditions. I love and feel regret for people that suffer, that does not necessarily mean I can do anything for them. I love my family, but I can do nothing for my brother that chose to do things that have limited his abilities severely. You don't seem to grasp the concept of justice. You want your cake, and you want to eat it too. Unconditional love is a concept that by your reasoning would conflict with other aspects of God. You also seem to have the inability to grasp that God doesn't harm or do something to them that is harsh, it is a result of their actions, not a result of God's desire.

2) God's existance is supposedly one of perfection, while life is imperfect. If Life is truly patterned after God's self design, then God, like life, is again imperfect and flawed.

God is perfectly capable of being imperfect and flawed. He is after all capable of all things. Nowhere is it stated that God does not have the ability to be imperfect or flawed. Perfection is not doing the things that would make one imperfect or flawed. We are patterned after God, who is perfect, we being imperfect do not maintain ourselves in a manner that is perfect. We have the ability to be perfect, we just do things that make us imperfect. You have a limited view of perfection.

3) Cause and Effect have nothing to do with Justice. Justice is WILLINGLY administed by someone, for a bias reason (whether that bias be fair or unfair is irrelevant), Cause and Effect happen on thier own, and often "bad" actions go unpunished, and "good" actions go unrewarded. God sending people to Hell is not "cause and effect" it is vengeance. It is "God's Wrath" as the Bible clearly states. Please stop denying if if you truly base your idealogies on the Bible.

You do not listen. I don't believe in your Hell. I also believe that any Hell that does exist is Hell because of the perception of the person there. For a Mormon, the worst place anyone goes is merely a place where God's presence is absolutely not there. There is no torment inflicted even there. The worst hell the worst person on earth will probably go to in Mormon theology is a place that is one hundred times better than our current existence.

As to justice, my view and yours are different. My view is exactly what I stated it. God's mercy is the extent to which he is capable of intervening between us and the consequence of our actions without conflict with other laws. Justice is the balance, it is the fact that for every action there is a consequence that must be incurred. Justice is blind and it cannot tell where its hammer strikes. Justice is merely the following through of the law. God is just, he is not justice.

Job 8: 3
3 Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?

4) Sending people to Hell IS JUDGEMENT as it says in the Bible that this occurs on "JUDGEMENT DAY"...it is God's judgement, and therefore HIS idea of justice, not cause and effect. Again....unconditional love is ever forgiving, and always aims to unify, not punish. If God punishes, then his love is conditional...or at the very least, he is imperfect.

Again, you cannot gave a PERFECT GOD who has unconditional love, wrath, and sends people to Hell at the same time. It is a major self contradiction, and can only occur in Flawed forces, not in a perfect entity.

The Bible does not state that men are judged and sent to hell. Judgement Day is the day when we are allowed to go to the heaven we have lived to be in. It isn't based on God's desires, it is based on what we are capable of. I would judge that my six year old son should not be given the authority of the President of the United States, but if I want him to be, would he be capable of it? Did I not make him President because I was punishing him?

You do not grasp my perception of God and the concepts surrounding religion. You are to enmeshed in your perception that you are wrong by Biblical standards, and you are afraid you are going to the mainstream Christian view of hell, not mine.

5) Life is Balance, but if God is perfect, then God himself needs no balance. Also, if Life truly is Balance, then Good and Evil must exist, and then God punishes for no reason. Regret, again you contradict yourself despite the intelligence that goes into your argument. Please address these contradictions, and don't dance your way around the issues.

Perfection is balance. You use the term punishment, punishment is defined scientifically as a stimulus or event the presentation or removal of which reduces the probability of a behavior. Punishment is merely a means of reducing inappropriate behavior, it is not necessarily a horrible thing. It is a means of modifying behavior. Mormons believe that all but a few people will continue to progress, the rate of progression/personal evolution is dependant on our starting point. Even those in the worst place possible will eventually be Gods, it is merely the rate at which this progression occurs. Good and evil must have the possibility of existence, they do not need to exist. Balance is not based on good and evil, it is based on homeostasis, equilibrium, etc. You twist my words, as usual.

If you can't read my posts and understand what I am saying, at least clarify before you attack. You do not seem to have the slightest grasp on what I believe. IMO, you have your view of what Christianity believes, and you can't let go of it to honestly consider what I am saying.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
When it comes to people, I think God has favorites. Yeah me.........know why????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.