What are Toys?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

redcaped
Toys are tools representing the images we elaborate in our minds by the use and possession of things we don't have from the real world. Once we reach adulthood we start a new life and new goals with other different things to think about and most of them are already set for our destiny like children of our own, a car, or any other related activities as part of reality...common expression "they no longer need toys." As of today things have improved. Fact is that no matter how old we are we're still curious. No one will ignore a significant invention whether this is a simple model or something to display. Please feel free by bringing your thoughts and experiences.

BackFire
Toys are fun, especially for kids. Some toys are fun for adults too, like sex toys.

redcaped
My point is general...what do toys really represent in our history, views, opinions, etc.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In the last 18 months, I have found that every 6 months I find myself needing a new toy. First, I got an Apple, then a digital camera, then an iPod, then a Swiss Ball, then a Waveboard, then a skimboard, and now I've got my eyes on a sweet little full-suspension mountain bike.

Conclusion: Trees grow in the woods, and other places, too.

PVS
Originally posted by redcaped
My point is general...what do toys really represent in our history, views, opinions, etc.

they dont. they're.....toys.

redcaped
Anything we envision can be a toy, taken from one dimension to another. A toy does not always have to be limited in function just because of the time we're living in or other consequences.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Someone has been spending too long listening to their anthropology lecturer...

debbiejo
Rocks are fun............

General Kon-El
Originally posted by debbiejo
Rocks are fun............ laughing

redcaped
People make sculptures from rocks. We also use the word toy when things are not taken seriously. Ask yourselves what's the difference between money toy and official money...they are made in smaller size intentionally for kids to notice the difference while having fun somehow. My views simply are no differences between toys and official things...both made the same way only for different purposes, so we are toying with ourselves. In conclusion, we are not an advanced society.

redcaped
What seems to be an introduction of things it is also the lack of judgement. Accidentally we are creating passion to things we don't need to love. These things are all around us that have been under development and still are. I won't fully qualify them as "complete" until things are rated equally in function and significance.

Quiero Mota
Toys are tools representing the images we elaborate in our minds by the use and possession of things we don't have from the real world. Once we reach adulthood we start a new life and new goals with other different things to think about and most of them are already set for our destiny like children of our own, a car, or any other related activities as part of reality...common expression "they no longer need toys." As of today things have improved. Fact is that no matter how old we are we're still curious. No one will ignore a significant invention whether this is a simple model or something to display. Please feel free by bringing your thoughts and experiences.

Children need toys because its important for their mental development.

I've always believed that having fun is a human biological need.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Children need toys because its important for their mental development.

I've always believed that having fun is a human biological need. Yes ...though old tires and sticks and cans do just as well in poor countries.

fini
dont forget the ever accessible MUD

redcaped
Yes, anything does apply...my point exactly, thank you. It is help basically. When we mention future we picture progress most of the time.

debbiejo
And the best thing of all...........creativity that has been lost with electronic gadgets to some point............

People in history never had this advantage .............yet they used their minds..........something being at a loss today........

lord xyz
My point is general...what do toys really represent in our history, views, opinions, etc. Pleasure. ermm

debbiejo
People IMO that only spend time on electronics and not in real life are lacking.

Imperial_Samura
People make sculptures from rocks. We also use the word toy when things are not taken seriously. Ask yourselves what's the difference between money toy and official money...they are made in smaller size intentionally for kids to notice the difference while having fun somehow. My views simply are no differences between toys and official things...both made the same way only for different purposes, so we are toying with ourselves. In conclusion, we are not an advanced society.

I think that, perhaps, you are getting to philosophical with a rather simple definition. By nature a toy is a plaything. A thing of enjoyment and, perhaps, education. While child psychologists recognise the importance of them in moderation it does not some how make them any less creations for the purposes of distraction and pleasure - happiness.

Your use of things like "toy money" I find odd. Monopoly money is toy money because it isn't real. It is a conceit. It is designed to perform a specific roll, that is to act as fake money in a game. To say "well what is the difference between toy money and real money? They could both be real" is not right, as well, they can't be. Real money exists in another realm from something printed on cheap paper and packaged with a monopoly board. Think of it as a nonfunctional copy of something.

They are not made the same way, they are not made for the same purpose, they are not made to fulfill the same function in society. At best the only real relationship is that they sometime share their names with something real - like a toy boat. Now I am sure you agree people can't usually go yachting on a tiny boat made of plastic and glue made for display. That is why it is a TOY - simply because it is not real as a boat, it is real as a toy of a boat.

redcaped
Again, nothing will be completed until things reach equality by function and significance. There is a lack of judgment among ourselves...we do grow physically but our views never change. We are the same children as we were 5 or 10, only with experiences that we barely catch the essence. Haven't you heard or lived a warning that later tried to attempt once more? That reflects our true immaturity...denial to face difficult facts. The knowledge or profession you know came from others like you...thank time, not heroism from those outstanding figures in our history. We have failed a lot more than accomplished. Instead our toys should be the full and official functional things. Start early dealing directly to avoid any further delay in our development. Kids won't know the meaning of fear or hatred until you instruct them the wrong way.

MJOILNIR
My wife calls my gun collection toys. My 4-wheeler and boat.... Pretty much whatever I want to spend money on,lol. that is until she wants to use them....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
redcaped, why don't you just come out and tell the truth? This is a question set by your lecturer, isn't it?

debbiejo
Wonders......................If electronics keeps growing to existed for what ever reason............would we do as well on existing if something catastrophic happened.

redcaped
What did you think while playing with a toy car? I saw the road and myself driving in it! Funny, because I do now and I don't feel the joy I expected...maybe because of too much rules and restrictions. Yes, that was missing in my thoughts and I totally understand what those stupid kids before us have created to the real word. Shame on iT!

redcaped
Even by redesigning, reconstructing won't work unless you are right from the start.

Imperial_Samura
Again, nothing will be completed until things reach equality by function and significance. There is a lack of judgment among ourselves...we do grow physically but our views never change. We are the same children as we were 5 or 10, only with experiences that we barely catch the essence. Haven't you heard or lived a warning that later tried to attempt once more? That reflects our true immaturity...denial to face difficult facts. The knowledge or profession you know came from others like you...thank time, not heroism from those outstanding figures in our history. We have failed a lot more than accomplished. Instead our toys should be the full and official functional things. Start early dealing directly to avoid any further delay in our development. Kids won't know the meaning of fear or hatred until you instruct them the wrong way.

Equality? Sorry, but you have lost me. Things aren't created equal. Better quality cars, less quality cars, toy cars.

Toys are fully and officially functional as what they are - toys for heavens sake. What other purpose does a toy have other then being a toy? Some people collect them, display them or see them as a business. But a toy is still a toy at days end.

Please, just make yourself clear. What do you think toys should be? no philosophy. You want them to be fully realistic? Eh? A teddy bear replaced by a replica of a grizzly that can really maul a child to death? You want to be able to actually spend that monopoly money down at the shops? Or do you want a toy to cease being a plaything and so how carry a moral message? What exactly are you getting at, other then making a toy not a toy?

redcaped
A good start would be making items not toys for children under safety regulations. For this we need a considerable progress in our system - all that deals with us daily. I would eliminate what the category of toy product represents - a limited version of real things...the idea of having a lifeless pet or a gun that can't do what a real one does/feels/looks like. Even today as a collector you buy a toy with the need of having what you see in a movie or event and what you get is nothing but disappointment. All because they keep the wrong judgement "a toy can never be a real thing" which is totally wrong. As a matter of fact all we think that we have as real is not...they break, get old, or run out of fashion.

Imperial_Samura
A good start would be making items not toys for children under safety regulations.

Why must we change the name? I am little, my parent buys be a toy for my birthday, not an item. And toys/items are made under safety regulations already. You know, to insure they don't choke, set fire to themselves and all that jazz.

So reclassification. Is it really necessary? Humans are intelligent, they already no that your average toy isn't real, that it is a recreation sometimes of a real thing or fiction.

And, well, that is the purpose of a toy - it is make believe. You know, use you imagination. There is a good reason why a child is given a toy gun made of plastic instead of a real one.

Uh huh. Still not sure where you are coming from. The people I know who collect Star Wars toys or Tranformers or G.I Joe of Anime toys whatever get them because that is what they are. For most they aren't looking for something real and nor do they expect a toy to be real in the sense it is actually Han Solo. They expect it to be real as a toy. And that doesn't disappoint them.

redcaped
Basically we use our imagination with our toys for the lack of realism they reflect. A real action figure should be like a human being...only different in size. So it is an "item" not a toy anymore.

redcaped
My precise idea of a toy is the ownership and usage of things that cannot be taken...made for all ages whatever it might be and to apply as much realism as possible, not make them look fake intentionally.

debbiejo
I've given real life toys such as knives, axes, bow and arrows, fishing rods, minibikes, bb guns, and oh yes..........for the older adults..........smokes and liquor..........

redcaped
The word "toy" has many meanings and most of them reflect today's problems. Some kids prefer real guns instead, not to kill anyone but just to feel it is REAL...what makes people dream exactly. I'm just merely giving samples.

debbiejo
Real toys are better than fake toys..........................OOOOOOOOOOOOOoo WWWWWWWWW........................take em out, shoot em, and carve it all. eat it,, display it................feel like a real man!!!!!...............What's more natural than that kind of thing????? than that.???

Real Play!!! Real toys!!! Fkor real boys...........

redcaped
Yes, I agree...girls don't really play.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.