Favorite Childhood Memory With Your Dad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

clap
I didn't meet my Dad until I was 17.

d-fly_girl008
Dude, that really sux. Sorry about that man.

TheKingofKINGS!
My favorite childhood memory with my dad...hmm. That'd be difficult to pinpoint. But I remember this one time, we went to a Steelers pre-season game, the season they went 15-1. I remember watching Ben Roethlisburger and saying "That guy looks good." and dad was like "He's decent, but he's not playoff-making season material."

I laugh at that now.

clap
Originally posted by d-fly_girl008
Dude, that really sux. Sorry about that man.

I'd like to hear some good stories. What was your favorite memory?

clap
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
My favorite childhood memory with my dad...hmm. That'd be difficult to pinpoint. But I remember this one time, we went to a Steelers pre-season game, the season they went 15-1. I remember watching Ben Roethlisburger and saying "That guy looks good." and dad was like "He's decent, but he's not playoff-making season material."

I laugh at that now.

Good story, but you were a child two years ago?

d-fly_girl008
My fave memory... probably when I was like... 6, my dad took me out in the car, but didn't tell me where we were going. We drove for like, half an hour, and when we finally stopped I was bursting with anticipation. He took me my first time mini golfing, and I remember there was this like... stream you had to hit it over, but I hit it in instead, and when I tried to get it out I fell in. It was really funny, my dad was laughing so hard and then he helped me out. That's my favorite memory.

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by clap
Good story, but you were a child two years ago? Yeah, I was 12 two years ago.

clap
Originally posted by d-fly_girl008
My fave memory... probably when I was like... 6, my dad took me out in the car, but didn't tell me where we were going. We drove for like, half an hour, and when we finally stopped I was bursting with anticipation. He took me my first time mini golfing, and I remember there was this like... stream you had to hit it over, but I hit it in instead, and when I tried to get it out I fell in. It was really funny, my dad was laughing so hard and then he helped me out. That's my favorite memory.

That's a $$$ story. Thanks.

clap
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
Yeah, I was 12 two years ago.

That sure clears some things up.

TheKingofKINGS!
That sure clears some things up. Not really.

d-fly_girl008
That's a $$$ story. Thanks.

You're welcome.

mikeydude
i am 17 still dont know who my dad is

d-fly_girl008
That sux... I'm sorry.

amity75
My dad died a few years ago of diabetes but my favourite memory is of him building an X Wing for me when I was about 7 years old from meccano. Although really there's far too many memories to mention. Your dad is your best friend, whether you realise it or not.

clap
Originally posted by mikeydude
i am 17 still dont know who my dad is

I hear ya. I'm of the opinion "**** that guy". He's got money and whatnot, but I don't want any of it.

BackFire
We live in sunny Huntington Beach, where it never snows. Thus I was never really able to have a "white" christmas or anything, and I always wanted to. One winter, when I was around 8 years old, a couple weeks before Christmas, my dad ran into my room in the morning saying that something happened outfront that I had to see. I went outfront and saw the front lawn covered in snow.

I was so amazed. My dad and I had a little snowball fight and made a snowman, then I called my friends over and we played in the snow.

I guess my dad went to a neighbors xmas party the night before, and one of the other guests lived up in the mountains and brought a bunch of snow with him in the back of his truck. My dad talked to him and got the guy to dump it on our lawn during the night. That's my favorite childhood memory of my dad.

clap
That snow story rocks. And that x-wing one is fairly touching as well.

Grand_Moff_Gav
That sure clears some things up.

laughing out loud

BackFire
I have many memories with my dad, playing through The Legend of Zelda when I was 4 years old with him, he would help me out when I got stuck and we eventually beat it.

Or going to sporting events with him, even though I'm not a big sports fan, it's always fun.

Or how he always manages to find everything, no matter how hard. Like, the Xmas when the power rangers were really popular, I wanted the megazord but it was so hard to find. Xmas morning came and I opened all my presents, no megazord was there, which was what I expected.

Then my dad looked at a curtain on the other side of the room and said "Hey, I think I see something behind that curtain? What could it be?" I went and looked, and there was a present behind the curtain. I opened it and sure enough it was the megazord.

Lana
Hmmmm...probably playing the original Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior with him on our NES when I was three years old. We pissed off our mom so much because she was never able to use the TV in the evenings. And I can certainly say that that was the thing that launched me into my geekdom.

As it stands, though...haven't seen him in three years.

Roland
I don't mean to bring this great thread down but my relationship with my dad is how would you say. . . not that great. no expression

Quiero Mota
My dad teaching me how to drive.

clap
Originally posted by Roland
I don't mean to bring this great thread down but my relationship with my dad is how would you say. . . not that great. no expression

Don't feel excluded or like you're bringing anyone down. If your best story is, for example, the one night Dad wasn't drunk or whatever, then that's fine.

Roland
Don't feel excluded or like you're bringing anyone down. If your best story is, for example, the one night Dad wasn't drunk or whatever, then that's fine.

It's not that my dad is/was a drunk or isn't here it's more of a lack of caring.

For instance in high school, I'm only 18 so last year was my Senior year, I tore my ACL at football practice before the season ever started and he didn't talk to me my whole senior year b/c all he cared about was me playing football and b/c I was injured he was under the impression that it was my fault it happened. no expression And he tends to be at all the things and organizations he is apart of but when it comes to things involving me or the family he can't be bothered.

clap
Gotcha. Being ignored can be a form of abuse.

When I was in high school, I knew this dude we'll call E. He had an older brother who was good at sports and his parents doted on him. They acted like they hated E. For example, Christmas would come and the older bro would get a 19" color TV and they'd give Ellery a 13" used black and white.

They definitely made it obvious.

~B@ckB0n3~
Good story, but you were a child two years ago? Pwned laughing

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by ~B@ckB0n3~
Pwned laughing How is that "pwned?"

The fact that I was 12 two years ago means nothing. The fact that there are a lot of "so-called" adults on this forum who get owned by me, a 14 year old is pathetic. THAT is getting pwned.

Syren
Kings, don't let it get to you. There's your let down, the fact that you rise to the bait every single time erm

My favourite memory of my dad is probably him and I settling down to read a book together when I was quite young, about 5 or something. He never used to read, wasn't really a big academic, but I've always been a geek embarrasment

Anyway, gotta give him his dues, he taught me how to read aloud properly, with no mistakes, never faltering over the words or anything. I think having him encourage me that way, on a regular basis, gave me some kind of confidence with speaking aloud. I know it's only reading from a book but it was a special thing between me and my dad because he was never into reading and yet made the effort to ensure I could read to the best of my ability, because he was aware of how much I enjoyed it. I think that's why such a seemingly meaningless memory means so much to me, because I know my dad made that extra effort ninja

SelphieT
my favorite memories of my dad were when he was a younger man of course, and we'd watch The Nightmare Before Christmas together every Christmas. He used to be so cool smile

Impediment
My dad taught me how to shoot pool. When I was 12, he bought me my first pool cue and we would shoot almost every night on his table. Occasionaly, he would even give me a beer to drink. I still haven't beaten him at a game, yet. We still play.

T.M
Originally posted by Impediment
My dad taught me how to shoot pool. When I was 12, he bought me my first pool cue and we would shoot almost every night on his table. Occasionaly, he would even give me a beer to drink. I still haven't beaten him at a game, yet. We still play.

Thats amazing... I was going to say the exact same thing.. only I remember the first time I beat him.. was awesome..

justjakk
i remember this christmas, i was visiting dad. when morning came, dad woke up and we went to the living room to open gifts. i had slept so hard that night from playing the day before, that i never heard him sneak off and bring that black and white bike. you know, they had the bikes with the scorpion on the side that made you feel like the kid with it all. i wanted to ride it so bad, but it was really cold outside. lol dad took me to Wal-Mart and got me a jacket. lmao then we had to go back for gloves and a a warm cap and ear muffs. made 3 trips. i remember when i first saw the bike, i wanted to get on it. dad set up the camera and was gonna take a picture. he snapped the picture and i started to get off the bike, but faultered and landed in the christman tree.

good times. other than that, i havent much. one christmas, he brought me my presens. had a kid come in the house, holding the casset player on his shoulder, listening to music. eventhough he bought it for me, it was used in my eyes, cause someone else was allready using it. he would call to make plans for going out and i would sit outside and wait on him. if he came, we would have a fun time. sometimes he wouldnt come. on one event he did come, we went to the park and he gave me my first pocket knife. lol i later on sliced my finger open with it. but thats how dad was. he wasnt there all the time, but when he snuck in sometime, it would be a pretty good thing. i allways wanted to be like my dad. now i kinda think from his example, i can be better.

ThePittman
Playing catch with him or working in his shop.

clap
Originally posted by Syren
My favourite memory of my dad is probably him and I settling down to read a book together when I was quite young, about 5 or something. He never used to read, wasn't really a big academic, but I've always been a geek embarrasment

Cool. My mom had me reading by the time I was four. Very important.

Originally posted by SelphieT
my favorite memories of my dad were when he was a younger man of course, and we'd watch The Nightmare Before Christmas together every Christmas. He used to be so cool smile
I watch that every year....but on Halloween.

Originally posted by Impediment
Different, but cool story in it's own right.

Originally posted by justjakk
good times. now i kinda think from his example, i can be better.
Seems like you have good memories and a level head.

clap
Originally posted by ThePittman
Playing catch with him or working in his shop.

Did you pitch or catch?

Council#13
Why didn't you see your dad till you were 17, Clap?

justjakk

Seems like you have good memories and a level head.

yeah, i'd like to think so. i think every moment you have with your dad should be treated like the last. if you have anything hiden that you want to say, say it. cause when you're in the hospital with him and he is filled with tubes to help him breath, you won't be able to get his side of it. and those last hours will be the hardest.

clap
Originally posted by Council#13
Why didn't you see your dad till you were 17, Clap?

He wasn't ever around and called once a year somewhere around my birthday. He could never remember the day. He came to see me when he heard I made full ride athletic scholarship to college. I guess he thought I was going to be a big athlete, but I just wanted the free education.

He looked more pathetic in real life than I had previously imagined.

Council#13
He wasn't ever around and called once a year somewhere around my birthday. He could never remember the day. He came to see me when he heard I made full ride athletic scholarship to college. I guess he thought I was going to be a big athlete, but I just wanted the free education.

He looked more pathetic in real life than I had previously imagined.

Oh. no expression So.... how old are you now? Are you still in contact with him?

justjakk

He looked more pathetic in real life than I had previously imagined. yeah, we all find out one day, this guy we wanted to have with us is just a human. i am sorry you didnt know your dad. even i knew my dad better, yet still wasnt close. its hard. its something that life gives us.

clap
Oh. no expression So.... how old are you now? Are you still in contact with him?
24 and as little as possible..

yeah, we all find out one day, this guy we wanted to have with us is just a human. i am sorry you didnt know your dad. even i knew my dad better, yet still wasnt close. its hard. its something that life gives us.
true.

Council#13
24 and as little as possible..

true.

So... you were looking forward to meeting him, but when you did, you didn't like him?

clap
So... you were looking forward to meeting him, but when you did, you didn't like him?

I don't know if it was looking forward as much as just years of built up curiosity. I also had years of anger about the whole deal. Moms went through some tough times with no help.

Council#13
I understand *nods*

justjakk
ok, time to get back to more real stuff. we arent going to make this a hug me thread now. lets hear some more good stories.

my dad and i went and bought my first computer from CTI in womewood. it took a little time before we talked about which one we wanted. it was a nice mutt. little bit of everything in it. had a 40gig hd with 30something megs of ram. was a very good computer. when i got my income tax, i let dad keep the computer he bought for me and bought my own. this pc has been upgraded twice and is still a nice computer. it only has 120gig hd with 256megs or ram. we used to play pool against each other in yahoo games. grandpa helped me find my first job at KB Toys, dad helped me get a job at Yellow Cab as a operator making a lot more. I am now a dispatcher making more than anyone else im sure. when you work at a place with people who talk too much, you learn things. Dad allways told me, "if you dont want everyone to know your secrets, keep your mouth shut." i think that was some good advice LMAO

Barking Spider
My favorite memory was when my dad beat my mom so badly she was hospitalized for a week

justjakk
Originally posted by Barking Spider
My favorite memory was when my dad beat my mom so badly she was hospitalized for a week and then what happened?

Barking Spider
and then what happened?

She never burned the macaroni again

justjakk
Originally posted by Barking Spider
She never burned the macaroni again so you dont like burned macaroni? doctors say thats how you get most of your proteins.

Barking Spider
so you dont like burned macaroni? doctors say thats how you get most of your proteins.

I know how you get your protein, Mary

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.