My problem with (Who was the better Jedi)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DRDJohnCgirl
I 'm new here, so I decided to read a few topics and I wanted to share my thoughts. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. It's just that I think Luke needs someone in his corner.

My question:
I don't know why people compare Luke, Anakan and Ben. And say Luke was a lousy Jedi. So what if Luke didn't jump around like a circus monkey and show off with his lightsabar. I thought that there was more to a jedi than just fancy tricks. Besides the six SW's movies were made in different decades. The movies about Anakan becoming Darth vadar had better Tecknology that made anikan so called better. So I don't think it's fair .to say that Luke wasn't as good a Jedi than Anakan and Ben.

killphil
Well he really wasn't all that good. I mean he was alright, but not nearly on the level of the Jedis you mentioned who had been training for at least half their lives. He only had very limited training and started his training late. I mean the council thought Anakin was to old to begin his training and Luke was like twice his age when he started his. Plus he only got what, a few weeks of real training from Yoda?

DeVi| D0do
Who says that Luke was a lousy Jedi?

Tangible God
The guy had like two weeks worth of training, give him a freakin' break.

Torik_Shai
Let's break it down. Luke had about a day or two of training from Ben before he died. Then three years later, he had maybe a couple of weeks worth from Yoda. Then a year later, he tried to get more, but Yoda died. So at most, you could say Luke got a month of Jedi training. Yoda, Anakin, Ben, Mace, Qui-Gon, etc. were all trained throughout the courses of their entire lives. Of course they'll be better than him with lightsabers. But he learned the basics, and that's what was important at the time.

Ushgarak
Indeed so.

There is no point using the technology as an excuse for Luke's performance, because GL's entire basis was that he could not show the Jedi in their heyday UNTIL the technology was good enough.

So Luke wasn't been restricted for the technology. GL was deliberately crafting a story that showed less impressive things; the story he COULD make.

overlord
Pfff. I never found the battles of poor quality anyway, people always assume it but they fight well and fast enough most of the times. As for Luke, are you guys sure he only trained with Yoda and Ben? Never on his own?
How did he suddenly emerge with the force grip ability and such, when I watched SW for the first time I noticed that Luke had improved quite a bit between ESB and ROTJ, weird that others never did.

SpyCspider
^agreed.

How much time supposedly passed between ESB and ROTJ? I mean, Chewie and Lando flew away to go rescue Han at the end of ESB but are we supposed to assume they get to Jabba right away?

Torik_Shai
Now that I think about it, in Shadows of the Empire, Luke finds some stuff in Ben's old home on Tatooine. That's where he finds the guide to build a new lightsaber. Maybe he also finds some training exercises in those documents. Not to mention just practicing stuff he already knows to get better. It's still no substitute for a lifetime of training, but that could explain the sudden increase in skill over that year or so between ESB and ROTJ.

killphil
Well whatever training he might have had between Empire and Jedi still would not put him nearly on the level of any of the prequel Jedis. Nobody in the OT was that powerful.

Smoker Stevens
I would really like to see Luke as a third man in the battle on mustafar, I bet he bites the lava smile
But who cares, he destroyed the Death Star and thats a thing Obi could never do. And he kissed his own sister, something Anakin could never do.

sithsaber408
L laughing out loud L.

pr1983
Originally posted by Smoker Stevens
I would really like to see Luke as a third man in the battle on mustafar, I bet he bites the lava smile
But who cares, he destroyed the Death Star and thats a thing Obi could never do. And he kissed his own sister, something Anakin could never do.

laughing

yeah, as was said... luke's training was nothing compared to what others had had previously...

but with no vader or palpatine, luke is possibly the most powerful jedi/force user in sw... so i don't think he lost out...

sapphiremouse
Originally posted by pr1983
laughing

yeah, as was said... luke's training was nothing compared to what others has had previously...

but with no vader or palpatine, luke is possibly the most powerful jedi/force user in sw... so i don't think he lost out... exactly laughing who's still alive, lucky luke is that's who.. Happy Dance In the movies sure not alot of training goin on for luke. In the novels he's still progressing and learning on his own and from others, even from masters of the dark-side. smile

yettoh
on swg i went to bens house lots of documents and jedi stuff

Kaos sebaceous
i actually read something i think it might of been on wikipedia were it said that luke made his own lightsaber thats why he had a green one in rotj that and green color was just better for the technology at the time and on wikipedia it did say that luke went to bens old house to find out how to make his lightsaber

Smoker Stevens
yeah, thats true..
thats why darth vader says: "Hey, you constructed a new lightsaber!"
in ROTJ

Velkyn
It is easy to argue Luke isn't as great of a Jedi just because of lack of screentime with Jedi Skills... However he was did something no other Jedi did in the movies, that is redeem a sith, so how many monkey flips and large lightning blasts is that worth?

(although on an EU aside note, in Jedi Academy he only shows up after you do all the work in the final battle.. lol)

Tangible God
He redeemed his troubled and conflicted father, you don't need Jedi training to do that.

Velkyn
I disagree, that was the hole point of the cave scene in Dagobah. It tought Luke to not be so hasty with his anger and fear and look behind the mask for what is really inside the sith.

Tangible God
He saw himself, it was about his failure, not about Vader's redemption.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.