New horror movies suck...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LaHaine
I'd have to say that I'm a fan of older horror films when gore and sex were less censored. And where less talk was used. Where the atmosphere remained consistent and erie.
Lucio Fulci was a god in this realm.

I really can't think of any movies mreleased in the 00's other than Manson Family that really fit my definition of horror.

Konjammenson
Lucio Fulci films are amazing. In that realm, I'm also a huge fan of Dario Argento. I have disdain in general for Hollywood's polished, watered down version of horror. Give me something gritty; something brutal.

steverules
SAW has done well...and so has HOSTEL I think.

roughrider
The UK film The Descent is astonishingly effective, and a great film too.
It helped me going in that I had just the barest idea of the plot, knew none of the cast members, and had seen only one still and one commercial weeks ago. If you want to see it, don't read any threads on it here, so you can be suprised.

LaHaine
yeah, Argento is the man. I really miss all the true horror directors. Even Romero seems to have gotten a bit soft.

RoughRider, I will definitely check that flick out. I'm looking to get surprised by something in film these days...

On another note, The Machinist was OK.. though, it definitely wasn't horror.

Mattomic
Hills Have Eyes Remake is a great example of a modern horror going back to the roots of horror with some of the great new age special effects being incorporated into it aswell, making for an all round tense, horrific movie!!!!

Deano
hills have eyes was nothing new though. just a remake with more gore.

Pandemoniac
The problem is that horror as a genre has been altered in order to appeal to a larger audience. The value of it remained recognized, but it was mixed with other genres and made suitable for a wider rating.
The real essence of horror became lost in this process, with only a few independent movies sticking to the real deal.
I am however happy to see that horror is coming back to it's original form lately. After the crappy 90's attempts the genre seems to regain it's status and quality.
Not perfect yet, but true horror is definitely on a comeback.

Konjammenson
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
with only a few independent movies sticking to the real deal.
More than a few, friend. Independant horror is thriving. Its just hard to find. Brain Damage Films is one of my favorite distributors sticking to the heart of the genre.

Kryzula
Well... you just have to know where to look. I have seen quite a few awesome "new" horror films that just have not received much attention.

~ Kryzula

LaHaine
Originally posted by Kryzula
Well... you just have to know where to look. I have seen quite a few awesome "new" horror films that just have not received much attention.

~ Kryzula

like what? titles?

Kryzula
Originally posted by LaHaine
like what? titles?
Well you'd probably love Murder-Set-Pieces and Trouble Every day. They are both very gory films with a lot of sex and depravity and they both came out in the 00's. I honestly don't know if you'd like any of my other horror suggestions since it sounds like they probably wouldn't be filled with enough gore and sex to satisfy your needs...

These movies came out before the 00s but if you haven't seen them yet I suggest you watch them:
The Untold Story
Ebola syndrome
Men Behind the Sun
Laboratory of the Devil

And I'm sure you've checked out Umberto Lenzi's films, right? If not I bet you'd like his film Cannibal Ferox.

~ Kryzula

Konjammenson
The Great American Snuff Film is my most recent love. It lacks in the gore level but its a very well done independant film. It was filmed here in AZ. I've met the film makers and stars and they are cool people. They are currently working on a new film which I'm excited to see.

Mattomic
Originally posted by Deano
hills have eyes was nothing new though. just a remake with more gore.

Still a fantastic film though, that improved on the original no end

tabby999
I really can't think of any movies mreleased in the 00's other than Manson Family that really fit my definition of horror.

interesting definition, that movie was a piece of shit. Theres plenty of good horror out there, how about instead of complaining that the heyday of an older director is over and look for some indie stuff thats being made around the place. Just because its not Fulci dosn't mean its automaticly crap, you just have to look past some of the mainstream tripe thats being pumped out at the moment for the stuff made by people who had the same attitude as you but went out and tried to make a difference.

LaHaine
Originally posted by tabby999
interesting definition, that movie was a piece of shit. Theres plenty of good horror out there, how about instead of complaining that the heyday of an older director is over and look for some indie stuff thats being made around the place. Just because its not Fulci dosn't mean its automaticly crap, you just have to look past some of the mainstream tripe thats being pumped out at the moment for the stuff made by people who had the same attitude as you but went out and tried to make a difference.

why do you consider Manson Family to be a piece of shit?

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by steverules
SAW has done well...and so has HOSTEL I think.

Saw and Hostel were fawking LAME. New horror movies do suck.

Leathergien
soo...what horror movies do you like then?

or are you just afraid of the new ones?

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Leathergien
soo...what horror movies do you like then?

or are you just afraid of the new ones?

Oh I love CLASSIC horror movies lik TCSM, halloween, Re-animator, Phantasm, Maniac, The town that dreaded sundown. All new horror movies are ripp offs of classic horror films. Remakes are always shit. Hollywood need to stop ruining old horror films.

BackFire
New horror films are much much better now than they used to be. Films like Hostel, High Tension, Hills Have Eyes, Land of the Dead and The Descent are great, while independent horror films like May, Dog Soldiers and Shaun of the Dead are some of the best the genre has ever offered.

Now, travel back about 6 years, when "new" horror films were just lame Scream ripoffs. We're in a much better time now than before, as far as horror films go.

Leathergien
2d master i just think you cant handle now adays horror movies and hey dont get me wrong i love the oldies too but hello a killer with a weapon gets boring after 11 different series with that same theme, i think that the new theme is good the torture and pain and head games are alittle more suspencful then a killer chasing someone eispecally when you know whats going to happen...directors are just making a new theme that will go on for lik 10 years maybe or longe just like the killer theme but that went on for like 30 years *geez*

LÉONpro2007
The new horror movies DO suck to me.

Lately all they are, are teenagers getting stoned and drug, having sex, then running around screaming. no expression

LAME!!!

Leathergien

systemshock2
Originally posted by BackFire
New horror films are much much better now than they used to be. Films like Hostel, High Tension, Hills Have Eyes, Land of the Dead and The Descent are great, while independent horror films like May, Dog Soldiers and Shaun of the Dead are some of the best the genre has ever offered.

Now, travel back about 6 years, when "new" horror films were just lame Scream ripoffs. We're in a much better time now than before, as far as horror films go.

Agree 100%. Recent horror films have seemed to take on more of an emphasis on adding story and character interaction on top of the horror of course. Hills have eyes, Silent Hill, and Dawn of the Dead are all good examples of this.

Leathergien
100% agreed!

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Leathergien
2d master i just think you cant handle now adays horror movies and hey dont get me wrong i love the oldies too but hello a killer with a weapon gets boring after 11 different series with that same theme, i think that the new theme is good the torture and pain and head games are alittle more suspencful then a killer chasing someone eispecally when you know whats going to happen...directors are just making a new theme that will go on for lik 10 years maybe or longe just like the killer theme but that went on for like 30 years *geez*

Hmmm , youre right I "cant handle " how shitty and unoriginal new horror movies are. Its all been done. And of course an excess about of sequels suck, but hey all the orginal movies were classic ( eg. halloween friday the 13th and nightmare). I mean new horror movies ruin everything for example leatherface got his ass handed to him by a 90 pound anorexic chick... wtf..... anyways you have your opinion. I think that new horror movies are rip offs and the ones that arent need to stop with the lame ass ghost stuff (like the grudge, the ring and dark water). that shit isnt scray and was old from the get go.

Leathergien
i agree with you that the old movies were f*cking really good and also agree with you that the ring, the grudge and other ones like that are gay as sh*t also boogeyman they suck but thats becuase those are low buget stupid movies, but im just saying i dont think that the new movies for example saw, saw 2, hostel and the new tcms are pretty good and besides its not like they could just keep making the friday the 13th and halloween and nightmare movies all the way til like part 50 thats just retarted

crickey77
Yeah the old horror movies are definitely really good - -my favorite was the shining. Gosh, I remember seeing that for the first some -- woohoo scary. But the new stuff is good too -- I have to say that I really liked the ring, grudge, blair witch -- they are entertaining and get you in the scary mood. speaking of the grudge -- anyone going to see it the 2nd one this weekend? I can't wait -- love movies that get me in the halloween spirits.

cropsy_is_god
I don't really like new horror films or horror films with hollywood actors. I prefer looking for either rare or banned films or cheap B movies.

Leathergien
like?

hank_mccoy
i think that people here are missing something... now back in the old days they had great movies no question , my favorite halloween , but today they make good movies to and original as well, yes i know that the major problem is that they make 3 types of horror movies , the low budget ones that you can see if you are really bored, the crap ones like boogeyman and i will always know what you did last summer that are made by computer because the director was too lazy to make an actual killer so he said hey lets just use a computer design no one wont notice, and there are the real good ones like leathergien mentioned, now the main problem here is that you miss one important thing...when you talk about old movies... you mean like what 60s 70s 80s 90s right? and when you talk about new movies you talk like from 2000? like 7 years? so you compare 40 years of horror movies vs a new breed of something like 7 years? of course that if you look that way there are much more old horror movies that are better, but the new horror industry is just developing and we already got great movies like hostal , saw, saw2 , wolf creek , i actually liked blood ranch , so i say give it a time its a very new industry if you compare that to 40 years of old movies

LaHaine
for all of you relatively new to horror citing friday the 13th, elm street, scream, etc., and other softcore movies... i need only mention a few directors that you should educate yourselves with:

Jim Vanbebber
Lucio Fulci
George A Romero
Dario Argento
Roman Polansky

Now, die.

Thorin

LaHaine

vintageSW77
for all of you relatively new to horror citing friday the 13th, elm street, scream, etc., and other softcore movies... i need only mention a few directors that you should educate yourselves with:

Jim Vanbebber
Lucio Fulci
George A Romero
Dario Argento
Roman Polansky

Now, die.

The majority of us are u tosser

Big Sexy
No way are new Horror movies better than the 80s era. Sure 80s did have a problem with overflooding with slashers but this is the era that brought
A nightmare on elm street
Hellraiser
Childs Play
Friday the 13th
TCM 3
American werewolf in London
The Beyond
Demons
The Howling

Big Sexy
As far a being to gross with Hostel. Please , Lucio Fulci, George Romero, and Dario Argento were doing the gore way before hostel.

LaHaine
Originally posted by Big Sexy
As far a being to gross with Hostel. Please , Lucio Fulci, George Romero, and Dario Argento were doing the gore way before hostel.

Vim
Yeah well I watched Hostel... and there was absolutely nothing scary about it to me in the least. To me Saw is one of the most original horror movies to come out. Ever.

Nikkolas
The 2000s have seen a fair amount of good horror movies...It was the 90s that made one want to jump off a cliff rather than watch Scream 3 or I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. Scream is a lot like The Matrix - the first movie is a classic you can watch over and over again. The rest makes your eyes bleed.

Mattomic
I thought Scream 2 was a bloody good movie!!!

chigawop
When people are referencing Hostel as a good movie, are you referring to the edited, or unedited version? I saw the theatrical (edited) version, and I was actually quite bored. Yes, the movie got gory at the end, but to me, gory doesn't automatically equal scary.

Anyway...

I think the main problem with Hollywood released horror is that they're dumbing down the movies to cater to a larger audience; editing down movies to get the coveted pg-13 rating. But they make the movie so tame that it becomes boring. Occcasional gems are still making it through though. I raved about The Descent for weeks after seeing it. I thought the re-make of Dawn of the Dead, while not scary, was very entertaining. And I know people either love it or hate it, but I thought The Exorcism of Emily Rose was very chilling. And I'm sure there are plenty more out there (especially from non-Hollywood sources).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.