How do you define yourself?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

paybacksare
As I get "older" I definitely notice changes in how I define myself.

Do you define yourself by your education, your job, your aspirations? Or by your family, your friends, your physical environment? Or perhaps by your inner thoughts and dreams; your deepest hopes and alternately, your deepest fears?

When someone asks you "who are you?" how do you find yourself answering?

xmarksthespot
Cogito ergo sum.

I think that was sufficiently glib.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Cogito ergo sum.

I think that was sufficiently glib.

Most certainly.

MJOILNIR
Well let me see....
Mentally a staunch defender of traditions and heritage. Open minded but a little to stubborn at the same time. Way to prone to tell my opinion whether its liked or not. Very proud of who I am and where I come from.
Work hard and play harder. Hold family values and true friendship highly. I like to take time to notice the simpler things in life as well. Love the outdoors and spend a lot of time there.
Physically...Big. I'm 6'8" and weigh around 300 pounds. Wear size 18 shoes laughing out loud Hence the nickname ..Bigfoot. Bigger is better baby eek! Real easygoing type person overall. Career wise, Federal Bureau of Prisons. I take my job very seriously. Theirs only one way to do your job and thats the right way wink

paybacksare
Originally posted by MJOILNIR
Well let me see....
Mentally a staunch defender of traditions and heritage. Open minded but a little to stubborn at the same time. Way to prone to tell my opinion whether its liked or not. Very proud of who I am and where I come from.
Work hard and play harder. Hold family values and true friendship highly. I like to take time to notice the simpler things in life as well. Love the outdoors and spend a lot of time there.
Physically...Big. I'm 6'8" and weigh around 300 pounds. Wear size 18 shoes laughing out loud Hence the nickname ..Bigfoot. Bigger is better baby eek! Real easygoing type person overall. Career wise, Federal Bureau of Prisons. I take my job very seriously. Theirs only one way to do your job and thats the right way wink

In your career, do you ever feel a "there but for the grace of god" moment when you interact with the inmates? Or do you feel completely different, seperate, even a little above them?

Do you ever come across inmates who you feel don't belong there, or is it easy to see that if they broke the law, they are where they belong?

silver_tears
I'm going to be terribly cliche and say that I don't find the need to define myself.
What I am one day changes the next, so why expect something from yourself that changes daily.

paybacksare
Originally posted by silver_tears
I'm going to be terribly cliche and say that I don't find the need to define myself.
What I am one day changes the next, so why expect something from yourself that changes daily.

So you don't find that even among the natural changes and variations in life, there is something in you, or about you, that remains constant? There's no sense of "this is me?"

MJOILNIR
Originally posted by paybacksare
In your career, do you ever feel a "there but for the grace of god" moment when you interact with the inmates? Or do you feel completely different, separate, even a little above them?

Do you ever come across inmates who you feel don't belong there, or is it easy to see that if they broke the law, they are where they belong?
Good questions. At times I have felt like I really understand why an inmate did what he did. You really have to separate yourselves from inmates in a way. They are always looking for a way to manipulate you. They have 24/7 to figure a way out. Developing any kind of relationship other than a simple rapport is a very bad idea. I never feel above the inmates. I do however treat every inmate fairly and equally regardless of crime ect. I do make it plain that I'm the boss though and disrespect will not be tolerated. Being this way makes the job simpler and easier on you. I have indeed came across an inmate or two that I felt didn't deserve to be there and thought that if I were in his position I would have done the same thing.

D-Double
So you don't find that even among the natural changes and variations in life, there is something in you, or about you, that remains constant? There's no sense of "this is me?"

I don't mean to speak for Flirty-Pants but...

I think there's something to be said for just "being" without a set definition. It leaves room for growth and change.

But, I do understand what you're saying about having a core idea of who you are.

silver_tears

Unless you define yourself by such things as you're nationality, or your gender for example, things that you're born into and can't change easily or at all, then I honestly don't believe you're ever the same today as you were yesterday.

MJOILNIR
One thing that defines me in a way I forgot to mention. I am definitely known as a man of my word. This is one characteristic people use to describe me.

Storm
I am a soul and a mind, full to the brim with thoughts, stripped of all meaning except self. I am what I' ve experienced so far.

clap
Without a doubt my job is an integral part of my identity since I spend so much of my life at it. Doesn't define me. I refuse to think about work when not at work. A duality.

I used to more closely ally my identity to that of the conglomeration of my friends. As time passes, this is beginning to lessen. I guess my identity is drifting closer to a family mindset than my former party lifestyle. I'm more a source of help, strength and support to a close knit group now than just a source of companionship for a large group.

None of these tell who I am. I'm not even sure who I am. It's a symptom of modern life. People are so consumed with schedule, moving from here to there, that there is no time for reflection of this sort. Who's got the time? It's important, but seemingly ancillary nowadays.

Did I do a good job avoiding the question?

nerf warrior
I define myself by my skill on the battlefield. When I am standing against an army of a few hundred and my army is behind me out of my line of sight and I charge into battle leading my army like an english mastiff being walked by a 100 lb woman, and I wade through the enemy swinging my sword with a rythem that must have come from the gods dodging shot after shot, dealing death with every step, not stopping until an arrow strikes me dead because no melee weapon can touch me, that's how and when I define myself. The only thing purer then battle is the scent of your women during the victory celebration that night, and having the hunger and ability to take her then and there, in front of many a drunken unlooker.

It's beyond explanation.

WrathfulDwarf
I can't there is no fun in finding in knowing what I'am. I rather not define myself.

clap
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I can't there is no fun in finding in knowing what I'am. I rather not define myself.

Want me to try for you?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by clap
Want me to try for you?

No, because that would your personal opinion. In order to define me you have to known me since childbirth and everything I've done till this day very day. Not even friends or relatives could even define me. I think it applies to everyone. Some people might point charateristics (sp?) of myself but couldn't possibly define who I'am ..

But I appreciate you trying.

clap
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
But I appreciate you trying.

Anytime.

ThePittman
For me it is more of a sum of everything that I am and do from my job to my friends and family. It will always change depending on new experiences and things that I learn and as I grow older and experience more of what life offers.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by silver_tears

yes

What you are never changes. Who you are never stops changing.

PVS
homo sapiens-

the species of bipedal primates to which modern humans belong, characterized by a brain capacity averaging 1400 cc (85 cubic in.) and by dependence upon language and the creation and utilization of complex tools.

i win the thread

debbiejo
No you don't......lol

I would describe myself as an adventurest. Always have been.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
No you don't......lol

I would describe myself as an adventurest. Always have been.

PVS won the thread. Be quiet. You are embarrassing yourself.

debbiejo
I'll be a good girl today....... embarrasment big grin

See yesterday I was being on a new adventure WITH pvs......Now that I did it, I found it boring........lol

Oh, and I'm also very spontaneous........I just can't seem to shake that off..........

Gomez
Originally posted by nerf warrior
I define myself by my skill on the battlefield. When I am standing against an army of a few hundred and my army is behind me out of my line of sight and I charge into battle leading my army like an english mastiff being walked by a 100 lb woman, and I wade through the enemy swinging my sword with a rythem that must have come from the gods dodging shot after shot, dealing death with every step, not stopping until an arrow strikes me dead because no melee weapon can touch me, that's how and when I define myself. The only thing purer then battle is the scent of your women during the victory celebration that night, and having the hunger and ability to take her then and there, in front of many a drunken unlooker.

It's beyond explanation.

I thought you defined yourself by the size of your p e n i s?

nerf warrior
Originally posted by Gomez
I thought you defined yourself by the size of your p e n i s?

Who the hell are you and how do you know about my massive weenie?

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
yes

What you are never changes. Who you are never stops changing.
Some people never change.

Atlantis001
Two eyes, one mouth, one head etc etc...

nerf warrior
I'm a ninja, in training at least.

clap
Originally posted by PVS
homo sapiens-

i win the thread

You couldn't win the special olympics, where everyone's a winner.

MJOILNIR
WOW, thats hurtful laughing

PVS

*rimshot*

is that your best? half witted one liners?
please, if you're going to troll, at least be remotely creative.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by PVS
*rimshot*

is that your best? half witted one liners?
please, if you're going to troll, at least be remotely creative.

I will pull out your spine and use it as a clothes hanger.

Creative?

PVS
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
I will pull out your spine and use it as a clothes hanger.

Creative?

not really.

the whole "i'll *mutilate/tear out body part* and use it as *insert everyday/houshold item*" bit is about as old as it gets.
im always up for some good "your mamma" bashing.
that never gets old

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by PVS
not really.

the whole "i'll *mutilate/tear out body part* and use it as *insert everyday/houshold item*" bit is about as old as it gets. im always up for some good "your mamma" bashing.
that never gets old

True. I don't nromally tred into bashing, but I'll try harder next time.

clap
Originally posted by PVS
not really.

the whole "i'll *mutilate/tear out body part* and use it as *insert everyday/houshold item*" bit is about as old as it gets.
im always up for some good "your mamma" bashing.
that never gets old

Remotely creative such as in not coming up with anything yourself but dissecting other people's creativity in as dull a fashion as possible?

Great work!!! thumbup

PVS
did i just get served? geek

clap
I don't think so but you demonstrated mastery of a decade old expression.

PVS
k

Kelly_LS

Do you define yourself by your education, your job, your aspirations? Or by your family, your friends, your physical environment? Or perhaps by your inner thoughts and dreams; your deepest hopes and alternately, your deepest fears?

Before Daniel and I broke up I defined myself by him. Now I define myself by.....nothing, basically. Depression, lol.

Stlawbellies
Originally posted by Kelly_LS
Before Daniel and I broke up I defined myself by him. Now I define myself by.....nothing, basically. Depression, lol.
That's really sad.
You defined yourself through a relationship? You need to like read more or at least like watch t.v. shows and like define yourself by focusing on a character and like imitating that person in real life situation.
This like woman defined herself through the reality show "Lost". It was like "Oh, guess what happened on Lost... I'm going to do a "Lost" theme for my wedding." blah blah blah.

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by Stlawbellies
That's really sad.
You defined yourself through a relationship? You need to like read more or at least like watch t.v. shows and like define yourself by focusing on a character and like imitating that person in real life situation.
This like woman defined herself through the reality show "Lost". It was like "Oh, guess what happened on Lost... I'm going to do a "Lost" theme for my wedding." blah blah blah.
That's not what I meant. I didn't go home after school everyday and like...sit on my bed and stare at a picture of him. I still got out and did things, I still watched TV, listened to music, read, etc. I just defined myself through him because I loved him that much...I still love him that much.

Stlawbellies
That's not what I meant. I didn't go home after school everyday and like...sit on my bed and stare at a picture of him. I still got out and did things, I still watched TV, listened to music, read, etc. I just defined myself through him because I loved him that much...I still love him that much.
That's not love, that's identity crisis.

Robtard

Ah, the joy and pain of teenage love and heartbreak... Don't worry about it, you're very young, in no time you will no longer feel any pain and wonder why in the hell you ever cared about that dude. I'll leave you with some Elton John (who's gay) lyrics.

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
Well Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
Oh and he should know, he's been there enough
Lord I miss Daniel, oh I miss him so much

Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal
Your eyes have died but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

Oh God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

Robtard
Originally posted by nerf warrior

It's beyond explanation.

LOL... Ingenius response... At least you're good for a laugh.

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by Stlawbellies
That's not love, that's identity crisis.
That's your opinion.
Originally posted by Robtard
Ah, the joy and pain of teenage love and heartbreak... Don't worry about it, you're very young, in no time you will no longer feel any pain and wonder why in the hell you ever cared about that dude. I'll leave you with some Elton John (who's gay) lyrics.

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
Well Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
Oh and he should know, he's been there enough
Lord I miss Daniel, oh I miss him so much

Daniel my brother you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal
Your eyes have died but you see more than I
Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

Oh God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes
Haha every time I heard that song I was reminded of him...and still am. But no, Robtard my dear, I'm afraid getting over him isn't an easy thing and to make it worse I have two courses with him which makes it worse because I have to look at him. I love him more than anyone could ever love someone but it was all just unfortunate and I can't go back in time.

Robtard

Haha every time I heard that song I was reminded of him...and still am. But no, Robtard my dear, I'm afraid getting over him isn't an easy thing and to make it worse I have two courses with him which makes it worse because I have to look at him. I love him more than anyone could ever love someone but it was all just unfortunate and I can't go back in time.

Take it from somebody older than yourself and wiser solely for the reason that I have gone through what you feel (not for a dude though). In a short time, you will no longer care and wonder why you cared so much for that person

Kelly_LS
Take it from somebody older than yourself and wiser solely for the reason that I have gone through what you feel (not for a dude though). In a short time, you will no longer care and wonder why you cared so much for that person
How so, though????

Robtard
How so, though????

You will simply move on with your life.

Kelly_LS
You will simply move on with your life.
I can't do that so easily when I have to see him and know that he and I are no longer together.

Robtard
I can't do that so easily when I have to see him and know that he and I are no longer together.

Trust me, as the days pass, it will get easier. Someone new will spark your interest, that will help it move along even faster.

RocasAtoll

Just remember: He's an assh0le.

Kelly_LS
Trust me, as the days pass, it will get easier. Someone new will spark your interest, that will help it move along even faster.
Nah, not honestly possible, considering every guy at my school is a douche bag and if they're not, like my friends, they're just not appealing to the eye like Daniel was. Well, I'll just have to wait until I graduate in 2007 and see what the future has for me....which is nothing probably, lol.

allofyousuckkk
Defination of David:

Perfect in every f-ing way

grey fox
How do i define myself......

Angry , yup that just about covers it.....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I define myself by drawing around my outline with a day-glo marker. Makes me feel good, yo.

Wonderer

I try not to identify myself with anything. Life and it's images of importance are all mental projections. I try to meditate and to merge myself with the unity and contiuity of the universe. I see myself as a human being who needs to be liberated from the illusions of suffering.

Quiero Mota

Car enthusiast/expert.

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
Defination of David:

Perfect in every f-ing way
That was the definition of Daniel, too.

debbiejo
Well IMO people shouldn't identify themselves with people OR things, you'll only get let down every single time.......All things are in constant change....

Kelly_LS
Well IMO people shouldn't identify themselves with people OR things, you'll only get let down every single time.......All things are in constant change....
Not every time, but I do see where you're coming from. Some people are lucky enough to be in Love and stay that way forever.

debbiejo
Still though a person should never identify with anything outside who they really are... smile

Kelly_LS
Then that would mean I have no idea who I am. I actually have no idea who I am anymore, anyway. As stupid as it sounds I'm now the shell of a person.

debbiejo
It's so easy for me to say don't feel that way, but in honest truth I think we all have felt the same way at one time or another......My best advise is to get involved with many things to get your mind off it, and things will slowly change and this feeling will become dimmer.......I understand that this is the worst feeling in the world......But it's NOT the end of YOUR world.....It's your world and you can mold it anyway you chose... smile

First of all put his picture and all things he gave you away. The phrase "Out of sight, out of mind" does help.

Nogoodnamesleft
I define myself as being the superior life form to all of you. Also, I define myself as getting a piece of your mom's ass every night.

Edit: Hahah, just kidding fellas.

debbiejo
Define yourself as being who you are.............creative, artistic, adventures.ie wanting to visit the whole world, a writer, creative, ............there are so many categories that you might liken too..................just live LIFE..

Kelly_LS
It's so easy for me to say don't feel that way, but in honest truth I think we all have felt the same way at one time or another......My best advise is to get involved with many things to get your mind off it, and things will slowly change and this feeling will become dimmer.......I understand that this is the worst feeling in the world......But it's NOT the end of YOUR world.....It's your world and you can mold it anyway you chose... smile

First of all put his picture and all things he gave you away. The phrase "Out of sight, out of mind" does help.
Yeps! I put his pictures, stuffed animals, bracelets, promise ring, etc. UNDER my bed to stay.

BlackSunshine
Yeps! I put his pictures, stuffed animals, bracelets, promise ring, etc. UNDER my bed to stay.

Dude, I would NOT keep that stuff under my bed. I'd throw it away or burn it. I wouldnt want any kind of memories like that lying around. I mean what if one day your cleaning up and you forget that stuff is there and you come across it?

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by BlackSunshine
Dude, I would NOT keep that stuff under my bed. I'd throw it away or burn it. I wouldnt want any kind of memories like that lying around. I mean what if one day your cleaning up and you forget that stuff is there and you come across it?
True. erm Gosh that's a hard and tough decision to make though.

BlackSunshine
True. erm Gosh that's a hard and tough decision to make though.

yeah it is..but do you want that stuff sitting under your bed all the time? I mean you know where it is and you know whats there. I mean one day you just might get the urge to look at all that stuff again and remember everything. Then you'll be sad again.

Robtard

Keep whatever you can sell on Ebay and burn the rest; time to move on.

Kelly_LS
yeah it is..but do you want that stuff sitting under your bed all the time? I mean you know where it is and you know whats there. I mean one day you just might get the urge to look at all that stuff again and remember everything. Then you'll be sad again.
I guess that's true, but I'm looking through all of my pictures of us/him right now (but only because I'm deleting them to reduce the size of my folders to fix my computer) and it's not effecting me at all.
Keep whatever you can sell on Ebay and burn the rest; time to move on.
Haha. I could get $40.00 off of that ring easy.

BlackSunshine

Haha. I could get $40.00 off of that ring easy.

there you go. smile Go out and get something nice for yourself.

Kelly_LS
there you go. smile Go out and get something nice for yourself.
stick out tongue

debbiejo
Buy something that represents the NEW you!! And you really don't have to throw everything away.......just box it up and put in the the garage...in old storage...

Kelly_LS
What could represent the new me? Hmm...How about good times with my friends and good times to come after I graduate in 2007?!

allofyousuckkk
BURN IT ALL!!!!!

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/wpmi/arson.jpg

redcaped
Dollar Sized cool

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by redcaped
Dollar Sized cool

laughing out loud

redcaped
~$ ^_^

Robtard
What could represent the new me? Hmm...How about good times with my friends and good times to come after I graduate in 2007?!

Still obsessing over Daniel? It hasn't gone down at all? Like it said, burn everything you can't sell that reminds you of you two being together and sell the rest, use the money and buy yourself a sexy g-string, pair of shoes, pepperoni pizza or whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

If your still a love sick puppy after that, dress yourself up nice, sexy and classy, go out and flirt, get all the boy attention you can on yourself, mind you, I'm not saying go out and whore around, just get attention and be safe about it.

Madman_V3N0M
I am the very definition of me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.