Borat Controversy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bawgawk
What do you think about the controversy surrounding the upcoming movie BORAT?

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com/2006/09/borat-fuels-international-diplomatic.html

Robtard
Originally posted by bawgawk

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com/2006/09/borat-fuels-international-diplomatic.html

Pathetic, people are made fun of and typecast all the time, what makes this movie so horrible?

jaden101
i think its great...i also think there is a Borat thread

i also think i'm experiencing deja vu

Koala MeatPie
The Actor who does Borat is Amazing, (Ali G, forgot his real anme)

all he is doing is playing the part of an ignorant and innocent person. He isn't taking "advantage" of people's patience. Allright maybe he is, but its bloody hilarious.

A lot more movies create a lot more Trouble (Dear hunter for one). I will be one of the first to be seeing this one.

Capt_Fantastic
You know, I loved the first episode of his show. But then it never changed. That's boring.

bawgawk
Sorry about the dead link here is the good one:

http://moviesbawgawk.blogspot.com

queeq
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
The Actor who does Borat is Amazing, (Ali G, forgot his real anme)

Sacha Baron Cohen

Nichole
If this movie was about America, would you all be so quick so take the 'So what' attitude?

It's one thing to make fun of a country other than the US, but God help us if someone pokes fun at America-the shit will hit the fan then.

RZA
In the end he will crush them!...

http://www.meloncorp.com/arch/0088/Borat.jpg

Yes Success!

Jenquie

Evil Dead
doesn't happen because everybody wishes they were America. Everyone is so jealous. They want our movies, our music, our celebrities......hell, even our Levi jeans. Sure, Osama Bin Laden doesn't like our political views.....but he bought every Whitney Houston cd (read last week or week before's issue of Time) and can sure as shit tell you who Brad Pitt is.

Sex Panther
Nichole, that is the stupidest thing I have ever read, and everyone here is worse off for reading it.

Darth Jello
Knowing Bush, he wouldn't hesitate to suck anyone's cock who want to ban a movie. Remember Prozac Nation? Some Republicans had a beef with Elizabeth Wurtzel and that movie was delayed from 2002 until late 2005 when it was released straight to dvd with no promotion.

Soleran
The man behind Borat, Ali G etc etc is just to good. I love it make more of it.

If someone wants to do one of the USA (Hello Team America) I say great it's already been done and that made me laugh as well.

Deano
Originally posted by Evil Dead
doesn't happen because everybody wishes they were America. Everyone is so jealous. They want our movies, our music, our celebrities......hell, even our Levi jeans. Sure, Osama Bin Laden doesn't like our political views.....but he bought every Whitney Houston cd (read last week or week before's issue of Time) and can sure as shit tell you who Brad Pitt is.

whos everybody?

Robtard
Originally posted by Nichole
If this movie was about America, would you all be so quick so take the 'So what' attitude?

It's one thing to make fun of a country other than the US, but God help us if someone pokes fun at America-the shit will hit the fan then.

Yes.

It has been done, most recent example as someone above me noted, Team America - World Police. That movie took every low blow at America and it was funny. Even Republicans laughed.

Robtard

I find that funny as hell too. Most other countries think America is the sh!thole bully, but they love our culture.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Robtard
I find that funny as hell too. Most other countries think America is the sh!thole bully, but they love our culture.

I hate your culture. So loud. Hell OUr currency Will so surpase yours, (97 cents U.S. last I herd) Then WE will refuse American Quarters here MUAHAHAHAHA!

But abck to the Movie,

Can't You take a Joke FFS?

Robtard
I hate your culture. So loud. Hell OUr currency Will so surpase yours, (97 cents U.S. last I herd) Then WE will refuse American Quarters here MUAHAHAHAHA!

But abck to the Movie,

Can't You take a Joke FFS?

Yea, yea, yea... Just keep buying our garbage and reading our propaganda puppet.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Robtard
Yea, yea, yea... Just keep buying our garbage and reading our propaganda puppet.

I do not buy anything from the States, and if I sue anything from the states you can be damned sure I didn't pay for it, such as Cable, I sue my internet connection to suply my TV.

Music? Nothing past 70ies.

Food? I hate fast food.

Cloths? Roots is Canadian, otehr then that it comes from japan, china or Tiwan.

Goods? Computer From japan, otehr then that it comes From Sony Canada.

Movies? Your blockbusters make me want to puke, theya re AWFUL.

Propaganda? I just said Iwas against your Culture, and aaginst your views.

I may hear your propaganda, but I sure as hell don't agree to it.

If anything you are Dependand on Canadians.

Our Lumber, 90% of your oil comes from Alberta, Our Electricity along the West and the east (Down to vegas and Wasinton D.C.) Youi even pump some of our water for FREE and then say "If you stop us youa re going against our growth as a country and thus our enemies"

Anyways the States Reign will only last for maximum another 15 eyars, I'v been to China for 2 Weeks, and from the GLIMPS that I saw there, China is the Next World power.

Soleran
I do not buy anything from the States, and if I sue anything from the states you can be damned sure I didn't pay for it, such as Cable, I sue my internet connection to suply my TV.

Food? I hate fast food.

Our Lumber, 90% of your oil comes from Alberta, Our Electricity along the West and the east (Down to vegas and Wasinton D.C.) Youi even pump some of our water for FREE and then say "If you stop us youa re going against our growth as a country and thus our enemies"

Anyways the States Reign will only last for maximum another 15 eyars, I'v been to China for 2 Weeks, and from the GLIMPS that I saw there, China is the Next World power.

Good for you, way to go!!!!

It's a global economy anyway it's not like the (trivial) amount of money you even have to spend doesn't make its way to the USA anyway in some way shape or form.

Wow you're anal..................and angry.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Soleran
Good for you, way to go!!!!

It's a global economy anyway it's not like the (trivial) amount of money you even have to spend doesn't make its way to the USA anyway in some way shape or form.

Wow you're anal..................and angry.

OMFG

Anal!?
He was acusing me of stuff I havn't done! What am i supposed to do? Agree to him? I Think not! I'm just saying that I don't spend money on his junk.

ANGRY!? YES I'M ****ING ANGRY! PEOPLE AHVE JUST BEEN ****ING SHOT DOWN AT MY ****ING SCHOOL AND SOME MORON TELLS ME THAT I READ HIS ****ING MORONIC COUNTRIE'S PROPOGANDA.

Soleran
OMFG

Anal!?
He was acusing me of stuff I havn't done! What am i supposed to do? Agree to him? I Think not! I'm just saying that I don't spend money on his junk.

ANGRY!? YES I'M ****ING ANGRY! PEOPLE AHVE JUST BEEN ****ING SHOT DOWN AT MY ****ING SCHOOL AND SOME MORON TELLS ME THAT I READ HIS ****ING MORONIC COUNTRIE'S PROPOGANDA.

You're angry 90% of the time you post anyway, thats not the type of attitude a Prime Minister would convey.

I would say that based on the originial thread I would love to see a funny movie about Canada as well but thats been done and they don't do much at all anyway so nothing to make fun of that's amusing, especially from a global perspective.

Koala MeatPie
Oh you mean like "Canadian bacon" Filled with Canadian Stereotypes? Funny as hell if you ask me.

Made By Americans, with John Candy.

Robtard

Food? I hate fast food.

90% of our oil is not from Canada... Here are the top five countries (out of 15) we import our oil from as of July 2006. Besides, what is Canada going to do, stop exporting it? LOL!

Crude Oil-
CANADA 1,624 (Thousand Barrels per Day)
MEXICO 1,561
SAUDI ARABIA 1,264 1
VENEZUELA 1,191
NIGERIA 1,014

Petroleum Products-
CANADA 2,113
MEXICO 1,709
VENEZUELA 1,467
SAUDI ARABIA 1,313
NIGERIA 1,073

Otherwise, as Soleran said, you're one angry anal dude.

Koala MeatPie
You still import more from Canada then from Saudi Arabia or any other Country.

So It may not be 90%, But it is more then a fifth.

And when we do stop exporting it to the States, and use it for our own use instead of importing it from Venuzuala, 1/5 of your resource will be gone, pricees will Go way up in your country and thousands apon thousands of people will be stranded. Public transport? Sure, at what costs?

Everythign will go up.

Robtard
You still import more from Canada then from Saudi Arabia or any other Country.

So It may not be 90%, But it is more then a fifth.

And when we do stop exporting it to the States, and use it for our own use instead of importing it from Venuzuala, 1/5 of your resource will be gone, pricees will Go way up in your country and thousands apon thousands of people will be stranded. Public transport? Sure, at what costs?

Everythign will go up.

No, not a fifth either, like I said above, I posted the top 5 out of 15.

Canada will not stop exporting it to the United States. That is not how the world works, Canada is in no position to just say "Ok, we're done and we're doing what we like." Besides, Canada depends and needs that income I'd suspect.

Anyhow, tell your country to bring back 'The Kids In The Hall' though, that was something decent to come out of Canada, unlike Alanis Morisette.

Koala MeatPie
Jim carrey
Tom green
Bare Naked Ladies
Simple Plan (Ew)
Avril Lavign (Ew)
Pamela Anderson
BasketBall
Superman
Smarties
The International Time Zones
Snow Mobile
Pacemaker
Wonderbra

Should I go on? All came form Canada.

And Sure, I don't excpect Canada to stop exporting Petrol to the states, but you never know.

Robtard
Jim carrey
Tom green
Bare Naked Ladies
Simple Plan (Ew)
Avril Lavign (Ew)
Pamela Anderson
BasketBall
Superman
Smarties
The International Time Zones
Snow Mobile
Pacemaker
Wonderbra

Should I go on? All came form Canada.

And Sure, I don't excpect Canada to stop exporting Petrol to the states, but you never know.

Go on, name everything that came out of Canada, I certainly do not hate Canadian culture or Canada for that matter, I'd like to visit up North one day.

Not certain about some on the things you posted, but Superman is definitely not Canadian, Superman has never said "Listen eh". One of the creators Joe Shuster was Canadian by birth from Russian & Dutch parents, but both he and Jerry Siegel came up with the idea while growing up in Ohio, USA.

Anyhow, Borat gets my $9.50 when it opens.

jaden101
how exactly did we get from a talk about Borat to a petty argument between America and Canada

RZA
I dunno but this would be a perfect time for someone to post the 'Blame Canada' song...

just a suggestion.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
how exactly did we get from a talk about Borat to a petty argument between America and Canada

Quick recap:

1)Nichole: said that if America had been made fun of, the shit would hit the fan.

2)Evil Dead: gave her reasons (I believe he was being liberal with sarcasm) why it wouldn't happen.

3)Robtard: (yea, I know, 3rd person) agreed with Evil Dead.

4)Koala Meatpie: said he hated America and proceeded to trash it.

So yea, I guess you could blame Canada as RZA suggested.

RZA
Yeah and remember...

'They're not a real country anyway'

Darth Jello
WAWAWEWA!!! Please, for to make hand relief.

sexy time!!!!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Soleran
The man behind Borat, Ali G etc etc is just to good. I love it make more of it.

If someone wants to do one of the USA (Hello Team America) I say great it's already been done and that made me laugh as well.

Are you typing in Borat-speak?

lil bitchiness

You know who has one of the strongest cinema? The French.
Food? Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, Middle Eastern, South American, West African, Chinese, Japanese, Thai...

all those come before American.

American political system is bad - that doesn't mean that Americans are bad. In fact a lot of them are very sensible, and polite, and open to suggestion.
A lot of them know how shitty their country's political figures and system are, and what they are doing to other countries.

America is beautiful land, it has great people, but it is a huge corporation lead by very greedy people.

And that is what a lot of people hate, as opposted to Americans, or what America stands for.

jaden101
and therin lies the irony...given that it IS America that is being made fun in the film...even if Borat Sagdiyev is meant to be from kazakztan

Kinneary
Canada is a very nice country. America is a very nice country. America is simply more powerful and its culture is more known around the world. Don't take it as an offense, Canadians. It's just fact, whether you happen to like our culture or not.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Kinneary
Canada is a very nice country. America is a very nice country. America is simply more powerful and its culture is more known around the world. Don't take it as an offense, Canadians. It's just fact, whether you happen to like our culture or not.

And the reason for that is because America is the aggressor in many many situations and places, while Canada is not.

Who around the world hates Canadans? And then compare that number with the number of people who hate Americans.

Kinneary
I'm sorry. Please elaborate. You didn't really say anything there.

Evil Dead
every other major country. The Asian countrie's go so far as to have bootleg rings of knock-off American merchandise.......all others just take whatever they can get of our culture. Michael Jackson.......he's more loved in Europe and Asia than he is in America......yet has never recorded an album on either continent nor released an album either place that was not produced and distributed by his American label in America first. Hell, the prime minister of Japan went apeshit over getting to see Graceland on his trip to America last month he was such a huge Elvis fan. Our celebrities are so huge over seas from you guys watching our films, they get paid millions upon millions of dollars to shoot 30 second commercials.

I know Deano lives in the U.K. so I'll direct this to him. Take a poll......walk down the street and ask people, "do you know who Julia Roberts is?"....and "Do you know who George Clooney is?". Niether have ever made a British film. Strictly American. In return, tell me who the biggest film star in the U.k. is that has never made an American movie and I'll walk down the street asking people if they've ever heard of them...............we'll compare results.

jaden101
mmm...then i guess notting hill doesn't count

Evil Dead
ah.....good call........I never saw it, thought it was a US movie to cash in on Hugh Grant's American success. Upon inspection, you're correct. Julia Roberts was in a UK film. I'm sure all those people would recognize her from that film as opposed to Pretty Woman, Erin Brockovich, Ocean's Eleven, etc.

replace Julia Roberts with Charlize Theron or just about any other popular American actress.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
You know who has one of the strongest cinema? The French.
Food? Italian, French, Greek, Spanish, Middle Eastern, South American, West African, Chinese, Japanese, Thai...

all those come before American.

American political system is bad - that doesn't mean that Americans are bad. In fact a lot of them are very sensible, and polite, and open to suggestion.
A lot of them know how shitty their country's political figures and system are, and what they are doing to other countries.

America is beautiful land, it has great people, but it is a huge corporation lead by very greedy people.

And that is what a lot of people hate, as opposted to Americans, or what America stands for.

And Russia (I'm guessing that's where you're from) doesn't have a bad political system? Lead by greedy people? Putin learned politics ala KBG style, he is no saint. I find it ridiculous when non-Americans overly chastise America for flaws their own country has too.

Darth Jello
I like you peoples. But Kazakhstan is the number one. We have the biggest apple, and the second biggest goat in the world. And here Horse can vote. I LIKE!!!
You peoples have big teets on your women!!! WAWAWEWA!!! Please, Make hand relief.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I like you peoples. But Kazakhstan is the number one. We have the biggest apple, and the second biggest goat in the world. And here Horse can vote. I LIKE!!!
You peoples have big teets on your women!!! WAWAWEWA!!! Please, Make hand relief.

That picture is as funny as it is obscene.

Alpha Centauri
Sacha Baron Cohen is still around? Damn.

He was funny here, as Ali G, for about a year. This was when he did small skits on a TV show called The 11 o' Clock Show. When he started getting his own show, becoming a catchphrase machine and having loads of kids acting like him, he just got shit, like Borat, who was just a smaller character back then.

Naturally, when something has run it's course here, palm it off to the US and the general public will normally treat it as if it's fresh, exciting and innovative.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

He was funny here, as Ali G, for about a year. This was when he did small skits on a TV show called The 11 o' Clock Show. When he started getting his own show, becoming a catchphrase machine and having loads of kids acting like him, he just got shit, like Borat, who was just a smaller character back then.

Naturally, when something has run it's course here, palm it off to the US and the general public will normally treat it as if it's fresh, exciting and innovative.

-AC

He's not new here, this movie is. Da Ali G Show has been around for several years now in the states.

Nogoodnamesleft

That link doesn't work. What the Hell is a "Borat"?

jaden101
ah.....good call........I never saw it, thought it was a US movie to cash in on Hugh Grant's American success. Upon inspection, you're correct. Julia Roberts was in a UK film. I'm sure all those people would recognize her from that film as opposed to Pretty Woman, Erin Brockovich, Ocean's Eleven, etc.

replace Julia Roberts with Charlize Theron or just about any other popular American actress.

that would also be valid if chalize theron was american...but she's from south africa

although i would defintely have charlize theron over julia roberts...except for maybe the way she looked in monster

jaden101
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

it doesn't work once its popular and i guess thats it big downfall..the same with trigger happy tv...how can you play jokes on people when they all know who you are

Nogoodnamesleft
Plz answer my question. What is Borat? The damned link doesn't work.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's a good question. I mean, you're using the internet, and in this day and age you'd think there would be some sort of search engine you could use to find out information like that...

RZA
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6567/boratsagdiyevqm9.jpg

Borat comments on the controversy:

"In response to Mr. Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my Government's decision to sue this Jew.

"Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

cue cheesy middle eastern music...

Nogoodnamesleft
Originally posted by RZA
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6567/boratsagdiyevqm9.jpg

Borat comments on the controversy:

"In response to Mr. Ashykbayev's comments, I'd like to state I have no connection with Mr. Cohen and fully support my Government's decision to sue this Jew.

"Since the 2003 Tuleyakiv reforms, Kazakhstan is as civilized as any other country in the world.

"Women can now travel on inside of bus, homosexuals no longer have to wear blue hats, and age of consent has been raised to eight years old."

cue cheesy middle eastern music...

Lol those wimmin folk need to be put back in their place. They shouldn't be allowed to travel on the inside of the bus. We all know that blue hats are for fairies, that's why Canadians don't wear them. Except the Toronto Blue Jays hahahahah. But I think Kazakhstanians are a bunch of boymolesters. 8 years old lol. Of course I know that this is probably just a joke (at least, I hope it is and that Kazakhstan isn't really a place where little kids can screw, cause that'd be sick).

Shiteater
Borat is stupid man. That is how those Kazakh people really are. Very stupid and idiot.

If I see Borat I will fight Borat

Evil Dead
did you go off onto another subject? We're not talking about nationality.......we're talking about import/export of culture. Her nationality has nothing to do with you knowing her name. Her movies, which were produced by American studios, distributed by American studios to Americans...........which ofcourse is why those around the world know her name, because they eat up any slice of American culture they can get their hands on. When they're not watching Charlize Theron or Julia Roberts in American films.......they're listening to Eminem and 50 Cent, American music. Sure, every country has their own culture......their own film and music but for some reason the masses forsake it for America's. Michael Jackson rivals any Japanese artist is Japan.........any U.S. blockbuster crushes the home grown flicks of other English speaking country and some that aren't. Pirates of the Caribbean was more popular in the UK than Notting Hill could have ever hoped to have been...........because it was American.

Maple Sugar
what is Borat going to be about anyway?

Darth Jello
I saw a screening last wednesday THIS MOVIE IS HILARIOUS AND WILL BE THE MOVIE TO SEE IN THE WINTER!!!!!

jaden101
did you go off onto another subject? We're not talking about nationality.......we're talking about import/export of culture. Her nationality has nothing to do with you knowing her name. Her movies, which were produced by American studios, distributed by American studios to Americans...........which ofcourse is why those around the world know her name, because they eat up any slice of American culture they can get their hands on. When they're not watching Charlize Theron or Julia Roberts in American films.......they're listening to Eminem and 50 Cent, American music. Michael Jackson rivals any Japanese artist is Japan.........any U.S. blockbuster crushes the home grown flicks of other English speaking country and some that aren't.

well lets see...given that you were trying, for some strange reason...lets call it...to give your country a much needed ego boost, to prove that american actors are more known in the UK than UK only actors are known in the US...then i would say its quite relavent to point out that chalize theron isn't american... is this not the US "importing culture"

perhaps it was just better than notting hill

i agree with you that US culture is prevalent in films throughout the world...big promotion budgets do allow for easier access to have films screened in large, non US cinema chains...and heck...some US films are even worth watching...

lets not start on the musical front shall we?

ahem...the beatles...the rolling stones...led zep...pink floyd...black sabbath...

one of the more ignorrant statements i've read for a while...i'll put it down to the assumption that you obviously haven't sampled many other cultures otherwise you wouldn't have said that

Magee
did you go off onto another subject? We're not talking about nationality.......we're talking about import/export of culture. Her nationality has nothing to do with you knowing her name. Her movies, which were produced by American studios, distributed by American studios to Americans...........which ofcourse is why those around the world know her name, because they eat up any slice of American culture they can get their hands on. When they're not watching Charlize Theron or Julia Roberts in American films.......they're listening to Eminem and 50 Cent, American music. Sure, every country has their own culture......their own film and music but for some reason the masses forsake it for America's. Michael Jackson rivals any Japanese artist is Japan.........any U.S. blockbuster crushes the home grown flicks of other English speaking country and some that aren't. Pirates of the Caribbean was more popular in the UK than Notting Hill could have ever hoped to have been...........because it was American. So you are saying people watch american movies and listen to "american music" because they are American and all other nations wish to bum it? fukin rofl irl lads, what a retard. It is because your movies and music are pushed into our tiny little heads and we have no choice but to go watch ur crappy films and listen to your music. Holywood owns the english speaking cinema so it is no surprise most people have heard of Charlize Theron and all them other filthy rich bastards.

poppymut
After reading the comments by the angry Canadian nationalist, I feel embarrassed to be Canadian. You should be ashamed for listing Canadian celebs who are famous in the USA. You are exibiting the behaviour that you criticize as 'American'. Shame on you. You are ignorant and rude. Please, if you feel the need to criticize another country in such an ignorant way again, do not state that you are Canadian; it makes us all look bad.

office jesus

I think he's a fkn idiot, and TRULY unfunny. It's just another blockhead with an accent.

RZA
^
You do realize that he's a fictional character don't you? confused

Not to mention that's the whole point roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Jello
well the fact that it opened on less than a thousand screens in the US and still managed to gross over 9 million dollars with almost every screening sold out, easily beating all other movies, most of which have been released on at least 2,000 screens I would say that the contraversy is bullshit and that this is gonna be the critic and viewers choice until at least january.

WrathfulDwarf
Just another comedian putting on wigs and making impersonations...nothing more.

botankus

Who cares? It's just another movie that will be here and gone in 3 weeks. Actually, this is in the wrong forum. I'm sure many people have directed you to the Movie Forum, so I'll just be lazy and not provide a link.

Jedi Priestess

The same way every other thread in the GDF turns into some ridiculous heated debate about politics or some country vs another. roll eyes (sarcastic)

BTW, this movie is stupid. And yes Ive seen it. Complete waste of 7 bux.

RZA
I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't comment but I'm watching the Ali G marathon on HBO right now and it's bloody hilarious laughing

There were a couple eps that I missed so I'm glad they did this.

office jesus
Originally posted by RZA
^
You do realize that he's a fictional character don't you? confused

Not to mention that's the whole point roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yes. I realize he's a fictional character. SBC is an idiot. That's what I was implying.

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by office jesus
Yes. I realize he's a fictional character. SBC is an idiot. That's what I was implying.

Actually, he isn't. He does make other people look like idiots though.

2-D
2 b honest i dnt see what da fuss is about! Its Just funny stick out tongue

Captain SEX
Actually Borats pretty fun, and clever.

Making fun of ones culture si so entertaining, especially the oppresive ones!

Negrodamus
Why is "everything" a controversy? Sheesh, live and let live.

I take a poop at 6am, it's a controversy.

I didn't signal before my turn, I'm an "ass" and it's a controversy.

Britney & K-Fed go out for dinner at Denny's, it's a controversy.

Is it really that serious? confused

xmarksthespot
how exactly did we get from a talk about Borat to a petty argument between America and Canada Because Americans and Canadians are petty... duh. shifty

§noopy
Originally posted by Nichole

It's one thing to make fun of a country other than the US, but God help us if someone pokes fun at America-the shit will hit the fan then. Team America World Police.

Adam_PoE

reggie_jax
did you go off onto another subject? We're not talking about nationality.......we're talking about import/export of culture. Her nationality has nothing to do with you knowing her name. Her movies, which were produced by American studios, distributed by American studios to Americans...........which ofcourse is why those around the world know her name, because they eat up any slice of American culture they can get their hands on. When they're not watching Charlize Theron or Julia Roberts in American films.......they're listening to Eminem and 50 Cent, American music. Sure, every country has their own culture......their own film and music but for some reason the masses forsake it for America's. Michael Jackson rivals any Japanese artist is Japan.........any U.S. blockbuster crushes the home grown flicks of other English speaking country and some that aren't. Pirates of the Caribbean was more popular in the UK than Notting Hill could have ever hoped to have been...........because it was American. the reason other countries embrace "american culture" is because mainstream american culture panders to the general public's **** tastes.. and ***** outnumber G's in every country..

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Seeing as the writer noted that Baron Cohen is Jewish with Iranian heritage, how is him being 'transracial' a pretense? Also, are the Americans that he 'snares' hapless because Borat gets them to put out their alternatively ignorant, racist, elitist or stereotypical views, or is there another reason?

One more thing, 'boffo' is now my new favourite word.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Seeing as the writer noted that Baron Cohen is Jewish with Iranian heritage, how is him being 'transracial' a pretense?

Because he actually had his race removed, turned inside out and sewn back on. F-R-E-A-K!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, my god. I need Jesus.

Capt_Fantastic
Oh, my god. I need Jesus.

And, if you buy into the bible thumpers ideals, he needs you too.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sure, until they try to stab me with their crystal meth needles.

Imperial_Samura
Sure, until they try to stab me with their crystal meth needles.

They have no class.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Just another comedian putting on wigs and making impersonations...nothing more.
I have to agree.

Borat can be funny at times, but it gets boring after a while. Asking stupid questions with a fake accent is a very old trick.

Funny, but not that funny.

Bicnarok

usagi_yojimbo
Originally posted by Negrodamus
Why is "everything" a controversy? Sheesh, live and let live.

I take a poop at 6am, it's a controversy.

I didn't signal before my turn, I'm an "ass" and it's a controversy.

Britney & K-Fed go out for dinner at Denny's, it's a controversy.

Is it really that serious? confused

Agreed. But the accident wasn't really that bad now was it?wink

But the worst part is when you know "who" returns..there's going to be whole lot of hell to pay for a lot of people. laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.